5.0 out of 5 stars Best Slicer I've Ever Used!
For years I've used an electric knife to slice turkey, roasts, ham, etc. No matter how well I sharpen a carving or chef's knife, I've been unable to avoid sawing back and forth to complete a cut, or worse, having the meat just tear apart as I cut. And thin, deli-style slices are just a dream, even with a sharp electric knife.

This slicer has cured all that...
Published on January 29, 2009 by GHannah

3.0 out of 5 stars What's with the PRICING now?!!!
Published 11 months ago by Rustynuts

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Slicer I've Ever Used!, January 29, 2009
GHannah (Annapolis, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Victorinox 12-Inch Granton Edge Slicing Knife with Fibrox Handle (Kitchen)

This slicer has cured all that. It's long enough to complete a breast cut on a 30-lb turkey in one stroke, and wide enough to make that stroke in a dead-straight line with little or no guidance from me. Thin ham slices for sandwiches are no problem at all. And it's sharp enough cut through the tenderest meat as if through warm butter. The small grooves on the blade seem to keep slices from sticking, making for an effortless cut.

I bought this knife on the basis of a review in Cook's Illustrated. You can spend more, or less, but I don't think you can buy a better slicer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Meets Three of Four Expectations, December 17, 2009
We too purchased this knife after a reading a review about in Cooks Illustrated and heeding the advice of Food Network's Alton Brown.

We were convinced that we wanted a knife that sliced paper thin and in one stroke, did not wander during the cut and thus produce non uniform slices, and did not leave cutting ridges on the face of our meat.

We roasted prime rib and set about carving it. Our first impression was that it was too flexible and too thin. The first few slices looked novice like. We were also disappointed that we could not seem to slice one piece of roast in one motion as demonstrated by Alton.

However, when we fished out our 10" chefs knife for comparison, we immediately appreciated the difference. The chefs knife could not cut slices as thinly, consistently, or as cleanly as the Victorinox. We then compared it to our Henckles knife that is part of a carving set we received as gift. The Henckles is 8" of forged steel and beautifully finished, but it left us wanting more flexibility and four more inches of blade. The Victorinox abundantly provides both.

As we practiced, we became proficient. We found we could slice cleanly despite having to reciprocate the knife, we could slice uniformly, and most importantly, we could duplicate the deli sheer thin widths we like so much.

Potential buyers desiring these characteristics will not be disappointed

5.0 out of 5 stars Crying with Joy!!!!, December 6, 2009
I am the proud owner of a set of Wustof Trident knives. I bought a bulk piece of NY Strip Steaks (about 2-1/2' long) and decided to cut it into steaks, run it thru my Food Saver 2 steaks at a time and freeze them. I first tried my super whiz bang Wustof Chef's Knife (which I sharpened first). Hmmmmmm. Wasn't doing the job. Then I tried my Wustof Slicing Knife (which I also sharpened). Hmmmmmmmm. Wasn't doing the job, either! Last shot: My Victorinox Slicing Knife (didn't sharpen it). WOW! I cut 15 steaks off the rack or strip or whatever it was with ease. It held its edge, felt good in my hand, stayed relatively straight through the cut (not having done this before, the first 2 steaks were a bit irregular) and worked like a champ!! I won't give up my other knives, but I'm more than overjoyed at the smooth job this knife did. It did a great job on the Thanksgiving Turkey, too. Well worth the money. Oh, BTW, read about this knife on Cooks Illustrated. Great reference!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Slices Every Time!, November 30, 2009
I use this knife to slice beef brisket when I am competing in BBQ competitions. I need those slices to be absolutely perfect. No saw marks, completely equal and uniform, and no tearouts. This knife is unbelievably sharp and the length allows me to do a slice in one long pull. The hollows in the blade keep the meat from 'sticking' to the blade and messing up the cut. I love this knife and it was money very well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value and a great knifef, July 8, 2008
Flight-ER-Doc (Saving Lives, everywhere) - See all my reviews
I've been wanting a large granton slicer for quite awhile...but never could quite see paying the cost of a forged blade.

This is a terrific knife, and an excellent value. It arrived sharp, and a quick honing keeps it that way. My slicing is better than ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING KNIFE, March 5, 2011
This knife is a perfect slicing knife for not only meats, but for delicate cake layers. We have priced this at other retailers, and this is one of the best prices we have seen! You won't be disappointed if you order this knife, especially if you are a cake baker.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous knife for carving turkey, January 3, 2009
Joleen "Daughter of the King" (COTTONWOOD, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
I enjoy good knives. I throw away those that just don't cut it (pun intended). This one's a keeper. Uniquely designed, it is very long to be able to stretch across the whole breast of a turkey and cuts perfectly. It is a thin design, making it less bulky to hold. I've had knives that hold onto whatever it cuts, but this one easily lets go of whatever it slices. However, on meats that are less dense, ie pot roast, it didn't do as well... but what knife does? Let me know! It's pricey, but this one will be around our holiday tables forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars finally a proper slicer, November 21, 2008
Don Eylat "cutlery maven" (Virginia Beach, VA United States) - See all my reviews
Whyis thisa superior slicing tool? 1. it is long enough to slice a thin largeslice off a large ham or roastof beef witout having to "saw' back and forth which shows up in the slice as ugly ridges.2.it is wide enough to give the blade heft and enabling the user great control.3.the blade is flexible but just enough to provide agility,thus increased cut control. the rigidity makes it easier to produce uniformly thin slices4 as the extrawidth provides registration(contact) withthe uncut surface and this offersadditionalhelp in slicing thinly and uniformly.
The one negative:the granton hollows: they are of verylittle help but shorten the useful life of any knife by 90% but thatmight still be a lifetime ifyou resist shrpening: Steel before each use and learn to hone instead of grinding away precious steel. This said, I still own and use a wide blade Forschner chef knife wich I sharpened monthly on a slow verfine grindstone and after 30 years of daily use has only lost 3/8 " of width and is actually down to a standard chef knife'swidth so that it has only another 25 years of useful life.(since I'm 80 Idon't really worry...)

3.0 out of 5 stars What's with the PRICING now?!!!, October 12, 2013
I have bought several of these, both for myself and as gifts. Last time was Dec. 2010. Price was $34 back then. WHAT IS UP WITH A $60 PRICE NOW!!!! It's a good knife, but the price is getting up to where you can find good REAL knives for similar. This thing is just a super cheap flimsy stamped steel knife. Works fine for what it is intended. At $60? I'd have to think twice. Before it was a no-brainer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Snick, Snick, Goes the vorpal blade !, August 17, 2010
When I took this knife out of the box I must confess that I had doubts about my judgment in having ordered such an awesome slab of steel. And, as I added it to my knife rack, I couldn't help wondering if I would ever actually find a use for it.

Now, some months later, I am happy to report my trepidations were wholly unfounded. In fact, I find I use this knife just as often as my other primary "go to knives" - an 8" chef's knife, a boning knife, a paring knife, and a Chinese cleaver. All but one of these is a Forschner/Victorinox, a brand whose price performance ratio is hard to beat.

I cure and smoke my own bacon, and this knife lets me produce slices just as thin as I like, nice and even, and with very little effort. But that isn't the only thing I use it for - this evening I quickly reduced a slow-cooked (8 hours) eye of round into wonderful thin slices for making roast beef sandwiches. And if I ever get around to cooking myself one of those big steamship rounds, well, I'm all ready for the slicing ! This knife is great for hams and turkey breasts as well.

My only complaint (and it isn't much of a complaint) was that it could have been just a little sharper when I got it, but since regular sharpening and steeling are just part of the routine of using a knife like this, it wasn't a big deal. Just know that you may not be getting the optimum performance out of this knife if you haven't sharpened it since it arrived.

If you serve much meat, I wholeheartedly recommend you consider this knife. Nothing beats it for the ability to produce beautiful slices with a minimum of effort and skill.

Rate and Discover Movies