Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Victorinox Swiss Army Men's 241195 Alpnach Chrono Mechanical Watch
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on July 2, 2011
I had originally wanted the Air Boss Mach 6 with the maroon dial but I had already purchased the Victorinox Swiss Army Men's 241148 Classic Chronograph Red Dial Watch.

I like the idea of the Alpnach, it is very much the same as the Air Boss Mach 6 but with the black dial and the Alpnach helicopter seconds hand. It has the Valjoux 7750 movement, the see through back and the nice leather band with the deployment clasp, and Amazon gave me a very good price!!!! so the Alpnach was my order. I am very much a fan of Victorinox and my 241148 Classic Chronograph Red Dial quartz is so good looking and has kept perfect time with my PC's Atomic time over the last 2-3 weeks.

Anyway I have to wait 2 weeks for delivery here in Australia. I will report my experiences after I have taken delivery of the Alpnach. If anyone else has one - please comment.

Update July 23rd - have had the watch for about 4 days now. Its very chunky! and very rugged. There is no doubt it is a very substantial and well made watch, the see through back shows the beautiful Valjoux movement and it is obvious that you are wearing a quality time piece. The leather band looks good and adds to the "classiness" of the watch. Perfect chronograph action with the hands resetting to zero after use. The helicopter second hand is a neat conversation point.

The cons - it is a bit too chunky, the deployment clasp is a pain in the a-- and too difficult to fix. The domed sapphire crystal means that it is prone to contact any abrasion rather than be protected by the bezel. The push buttons are very industrial as is the crown and the case in general. It would have been the perfect watch for my past occupation as a firefighter or during my time in the military, but as a dress watch? well you need to look very rugged when wearing it - you know - sports jacket and tie but with jeans and workman's boots.

This is a quality watch as are all Victorinox watches, just be aware its a rugged watch with an industrial finish - not an elegant dress watch. I am not unhappy with it at all.

Bill
on December 14, 2012
I truly would have liked my buying experience around this watch much better if I could have found a seller on Amazon with a price in the $700 to $750 range.

Having said that, I think Ashford might be the only Amazon e-tailer that might have it, but at $725 or so, they're out of stock. Rats, right?

On to the watch.

I searched for several days, starting with a baseline of my current watch, the Invicta Reserve 1957 Leviathan. Heavy-ass watch, great rugged good looks, but not practical for everyday use around the office. Being an uneducated wristwatch wearer, I had a lot of catching up to do - still do. What I've learned in the last week or so:

1. Quality watches with quality movements are not cheap
2. Japanese movements are less expensive than Swiss
3. Sometimes you can save time by choosing a watch by the movement inside (reliable movements like Valjoux 7750, Valgranges 7750, etc.)
4. Personal preference always has the final say

I wanted a 'tweener watch, one that could easily bridge the gaps between everyday office, casual sports activities that I wouldn't freak out about wearing a high-dollar watch to, and semi-dressy.

I've also never spent upwards of $250 for a watch, so this REALLY had to be a selective process, otherwise I'd feel like a fool for spending money on what might amount to a piece of crap.

Stylish? Yes. Functionality? Absolutely. Price? Negotiable. Sort of.

Brands I considered:

- Invicta (starting point)
- Nixon
- Uhr Werk
- Retrowerk
- U-boat
- Various vintage watches

I like the vintage look, but taking a risk on a used watch just because of the name stamped on it - I'm not ready to go there, but someday perhaps. Nixon watches were really cool, as were some of the industrial types (U-Boat, Uhr Werk, Retrowerk, etc.); I just didn't like this latest trend of chunky lefty watches when I'm right-handed. Sadness when some of the styles aren't suited for one's dexterity. Focusing in on the value of the object for the price paid, I ended up really liking the Alpnach watch - had all the features I wanted, discounted price was extremely good comparatively, and the customer reviews of this watch (when I cound find some) gave the watch good props.

Buying experience - I must caution you, the buyer, to NEVER buy high-dollar goods like this from any site that doesn't "look" or "feel" right when you're browsing or adding items to your cart. Stay safe with sites like Amazon, or ones that offer PayPal payment options, to protect your ability to obtain an immediate refund. Don't get burned by sites that show a lowball price, only to go "Out of Stock" as soon as you make your payment to their store (can we say "bait and switch"?). Talk to someone on the phone, too, if you have questions. Don't chat or e-mail, as this only wastes your time - you're eventually going to have to talk to a live body if something goes awry.

Watch Review:

- Fitment is superb, easy. Strap is a double-clasp deployment, with a leather strap (mimicking the old buckle style straps). Getting the strap adjusted took a bit of playing around, but after a while, got the hang of it pretty quickly.
- Buttons for chronograph one chronograph function, does not have an option to do elapsed time, which I would have expected from a watch of this caliber. Pushing button A (top button) starts the chrono, pushing button A again stops the elapsed time but does not continue counting; pushing button B resets to zero.
- Date - pull out the crown until it stops, and rotate crown towards you to advance the date through the 24-hour period of each day
- Time - once you've set the date, you can then set the correct time (kind of pointless to do the time first, don't you think?)
- Chronograph - Simple stopwatch function, start/stop/reset (does not have an Elapsed time feature)
- Date adjustment - You must crank the hands through the entire 24-hr period to advance the date by one day, there is no short method
- Watch was originally released in the 2009 - 2010 catalog in their Professional watch line
- Original retail price was $1,895

Extremely happy with this watch, although as one other reviewer on the web noted that the band is a little large, and like that reviewer, the watchband seems to also fit me best at the last or second-to-last hole even though I'm not a small person (6' 1", 260 lbs). Since the band closes with the metal clasps, most of the band's sizing holes seem to be more for "looks" than "function", as I cannot picture the size of the person whose wrist is that large...guess I gotta start doing wrist curls with 25-lb weights again.

IF YOU FIND THIS UNDER $800, VERIFY THE SELLER, THEN BUY THE WATCH ASAP!
on April 14, 2013
I received this watch on April 12. This is my 3rd Victorinox mechanical watch and my first mechanical chronograph (ETA Valjoux 7750). This watch is really great: perfect size (43mm), triple coating sapphire cristal, excellent leather straps, very solid construction and the well known Victorinox quality. Just be aware that the leather straps are quite long, so if you have a "regular" wrist size, the butterfly clasp is not going to be in the middle of the wrist, but do not consider this thing as a bad issue because in this way the clasp doesn't scratch due to the constant friction against solid surfaces like tables, desks, and so on.
If you are looking for a 100% swiss chronograph/mechanical watch with excellent quality, don't hesitate, go for this one or any other Victorinox watch.

Greetings from Mexico.
on November 6, 2012
I have not checked out the prices at the retail stores but I don't think I can get it any cheaper than at amazon. The watch itself is a beauty and I've been wearing it 24/7 though at the end of the second week or so I had to replace the leather strap with a metal bracelet as it was getting smelly.
The good thing of the watch is you don't have to wind it. Just wear it and it'll keep time though if you want accuracy by comparing it with my iphone clock I had to change the time every two weeks to maintain its accuracy ( a difference of two minutes).
on June 27, 2013
Not many people intend on testing out the durability of a high quality watch. However, with something that you wear every day it can sometimes be inevitable.

This watch used to gain about a minute a week until i got in a motorcycle accident. Not only did it survive the accident but now it only gains about 10 seconds a month.

Not to mention... this watch looks awesome. The pictures really don't do it justice. The hands, numbers and bezel have a brushed finish but when the light hits it it will catch your eye. The red accents in the second hand and the swiss army shield set the whole thing off and gives the style an "edge".

Buy this watch while you can. The new Alpnach is nothing compared to this beast.
on December 18, 2014
I always wanted a watch that was sporty/casual look with reliable movement, after surching the internet, I came across with different brands, nice designs, same movement but very expensive, until I found this watch, same movement like the other ones but half the price, I'm so happy with my purchase I highly recommend it
on June 17, 2015
i loved this watch since i have seen it first time . i dont like leather band but i changed my mine with this watch and the band nice and styles . actually its was expansive on my budget i searched for another watch but this one is the only i like and i am huge fan of victorinox products i like this company so i bought it .
i can tell who think about this watch to buy . the picture does not give the watch the real worth . this watch high quality since you wear it everybody note this is expansive watch .and comparing with the price now its great deal . i cant give this watch less than 5 stars coz really its deserve more than 5 .goo buy it .
on May 14, 2015
I bought this Alpnach Model 2011 through Amazon, thanks Amazon for smooth delievered the part to me! Today, after about 3 years plus, my watch's Chronograph 1/1 Second Hand 'DETACHED' when i wanted to use the stopwatch function. Surprise me such a so called 'Swiss Made' 'Victorinox Swiss Army' watch, can have this kind of product, surprise! This is not a cheap watch in fact... my CASIO been using since 2007 until today still robust! Loss confident with this product and Swiss Army!
on January 5, 2015
Watch looks great. Used it for a day. Then kept it in my watch box for 3 days. When i went back the fourth day to put it back on, i was resetting the time and date... It was then until i realized that crown does it reset date because its broken... It tries to move the date face but the face refuses to move.. The only way i can change the date is only if i use the hour and minute hand and use the crown to wind a while 24 hr from today to get to the next date.
on June 3, 2012
The center pointer fell of, but after sending the watch to manufactor into Swiss it was maintained and proven that at least this is a guaranteed product. Finally, I am happy with the deal, because of the marge. Combined with an unbeatable speed of delivery I would have done this deal again, of course.