5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product.
Do yourself a favor, buy one of these knives and start breaking down your own chickens. If you took apart just 2 whole chickens yourself as opposed to buying pieces at the store, this knife will pay for itself. If you enjoy cooking, it's a rewarding experience and you can use the carcass for homemade stock.

I'm not trained or a professional cook - I bought...
Published on December 2, 2009 by Paul J. Langlois

2.0 out of 5 stars Not too happy after all:(
I purchase this boning knife and it works great and it's great price to. This company has a very good reputation too.

Published on December 31, 2008 by R. Peckham

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product., December 2, 2009
Paul J. Langlois (Lake Forest, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Victorinox 47513 6-Inch Flex Boning Knife with Fibrox Handle (Kitchen)

I'm not trained or a professional cook - I bought this knife after reading the America's Test Kitchen review and began buying whole chickens. After watching a few youtube videos (Andrew Zimmern's is my favorite), I grabbed my new knife and successfully took a chicken apart. After my second try, the breasts I removed look even better than the premium quality packaged breast meat from the supermarket.

The handle is large and textured so even when wet, the knife is easy to hold. The slight flex lets you work the knife up against bones and get the most meat off. The blade arrived sharp and is easily sharpened. It's the perfect tool for breaking down chickens, de-boning, fileting, and also removing silverskin from tenderloins and flank steak.

Fantastic product, one of the best purchases I've made in a long time. Don't buy an expensive forged boning knife!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Hog Butchering Tool, December 14, 2007
I am a hunter and I process the game I take myself. This boning knife was just what I needed to speed the process along. I recently processed a 100 lb. hog. The knife was flexible and narrow which allowed me to get the most from the bone. The handle was easy to grip. The blade held a good edge through the entire hog, I did not need to stop and steel the blade.

I used it the following week to process a deer with the same good experience.

At this great price how can you go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable handle and sharp blade, June 26, 2008
V. Thomas (Baltimore, MD) - See all my reviews
America's Test Kitchen recommended this boning knife and they were right. This knife is sharp straight out of the package. I used it the first time to cut the silver skin from some beef and it was so easy using this knife. The sharp point and long thin blade enabled me to get right under the silver skin and I did not cut into the meat itself. I was able to cut neatly and precisely where I wanted to due to the comfortable handle and sharp blade. Why pay a fortune for a boning knife when this one gets the job done quick and neat. Good job America's Test Kitchen and thanks R H Forschner for making another affordable but quality product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Small reservations, February 8, 2010
First, being a bit of a traditionalist, I much prefer a solidly crafted forged blade to a stamped one. But this knife was highly recommended by Cook's Illustrated, along with a number of other knives in this line. I was curious to see if such an inexpensive line of knives could compete with the very expensive knives which I am used to using. Since I was in the market for a boning knife I decided to order this knife to evaluate the Victorinox line.

While it will vary from person to person, I find the handle slightly uncomfortable to hold. It seems a little bulky, especially for the application. On the other hand, the blade appears to be very well suited to the task at hand, and this may be an application in which a heavier forged blade is at some disadvantage. The blade is flexible, but not overly so. Initial sharpness is good, as is the blade shape. It has a good sharp tip for piercing silver skin.

I have only had this knife for a short time, and I look forward to seeing how it will hold up. Will it hold its edge? Will the tip break when it hits one bone too many? Will I ever get used to the clunky feeling handle? Time will tell, and I will share these things here as I learn them. But at this point I would recommend this knife to anyone looking for an inexpensive but effective boning knife. Over time I plan to try the rest of the knives in this line. It will be interesting to see if I can replace a $2000 set of knives with a $200 set and be happy with the change.

While I will never lose my love of the beauty and craftsmanship of a set of fine forged knives, Victorinox/Forschner is offering an interesting practical alternative to the "work of art" knives we have grown to love. Interestingly, All Clad cookware is facing a similar challenge from low cost multi-ply cookware.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great knives, January 21, 2009
Had I known it was possible to fall in love with a set of knives, I would have given up my eharmony membership long ago. (Just kidding) I have a set of Calphalon Contemporary knives and thought they were great. After reading an online review at a reputable cooking site however, I bought this set for a friend. (Price to quality ratio was well-reviewed) OMG, everything you cut is like butta (except for butter itself which is like watta) Whether you buy the set or just the pieces you need, I cannot recommend these knives enough.

Oh, and though I love them to much to do so, I believe they are dishwasher safe.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not too happy after all:(, December 31, 2008

UPDATE-09/29/2010 I have used this knife to slice chicken boneless breast and remove fat on poultry & beef. After a while I could see little chips in the blade. I always keep my knives sharp and use a steel before use of any of my knives. None of them have chips on the blade, so I contacted Victorinox and they wanted me to send it back with a S&H fee of $10.00. Well the knife cost me it's not worth it, so I am looking at replacing it with a forged steel boning knife this time. I have other knives from this company and never had a blade to show signs like this and my other knives are used more and harder. So it could be a steel edge problem but not too happy with this particular knife.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific knife for the price, December 16, 2007
jangler64 "jangler64" (Philadelphia suburbs) - See all my reviews
Opened the knife from the package, and it was perfectly sharp. It fits in the hand well, and cuts well. America's Test Kitchen suggested the knives for price and quality, and to me they were right on every aspect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, September 22, 2008
Matenai (Oak Point, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Boning is not something I do often so it makes no sense to buy a boning knife...well not for a high price. I find this a great addition to my premium knives and worth the investment for this special task...also works great for filleting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-Made Boning Knife at a Good Price, December 1, 2008
I bought this knife on the recommendation of Cooks Illustrated. I'm not disappointed in it at all. The handle is well shaped and easy to grip with slippery hands. The blade good and sharpens well. Nothing bad to say about it and I'm not sure what else I could look for in a boning knife.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Intersection of Price and Quality, January 7, 2012
You can spend a fortune on a good set of kitchen knives. There are the much vaunted Wusthof and Henckel lines that home cooks fawn over (and some cooking professionals malign due to their heavy weight and high maintenance), as well as the super-high end knives that start at $300 and go up from there. Don't get me wrong, I own a set of Wusthof Classic knives and appreciate their quality. However when filleting a fish or breaking down a chicken, I was running into dangerous situations as the smooth handle on my Wusthof would grow slick and slippery from handling the raw fish/poultry.

I wound up buying the Victorinox Forschner after a positive review on America's Test Kitchen. It truly is the intersection of price and quality. While it has a stamped blade rather than a forged one like my German knives, it is a workhorse in the kitchen and has not let me down. The ribbed handle provides a much better grip than my other knives, which has relieved my worries about cutting myself when handling raw meats. Overall it is a great purchase for the money.