5.0 out of 5 stars nice pocket knife
Published on September 30, 2005 by W. Chen

3.0 out of 5 stars Great tools, disappointing handles
It almost hurts to give such a great tool three stars, but I felt I had to. The tools are magnificent; the blade is just long enough to be extremely useful but non-threatening, the can opener works fantastically as does the flat head and the bottle opener. I like the nail file and if I want to conserve the blade I can use the the pointed edge for a variety of tasks...
Published 11 months ago by awilda acosta

5.0 out of 5 stars nice pocket knife, September 30, 2005
Got the cadet pocket knife two weeks ago. I am really impressed by how thin it is. It is so thin that I could keep it in the pochet at the back of my jean and would not feel its existence, by contrast, the regular kind with plastic handle is at least 50% thicker. Another plus of the metal handle is that I will never need to worry about scratches. And the knife is really sharp. Overall a very nice pocket knife for everyday use.

5.0 out of 5 stars SAK's are the best knife value on the planet...., February 14, 2006
JB in SC (South Carolina) - See all my reviews
This particular knife has almost all the tools one can use, only missing the scissors. Much thinner than the plastic scaled versions,the Alox versions are very strong but not quite as smooth opening due to the lack of stainless liners.

The blade steel is a proprietary stainless that holds an edge pretty well and is easy to touch up with a ceramic stick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Attractive, dependable, and useful to keep in your glovebox, as well as a pocket or purse., December 14, 2005
J. Manly "healthychoices" (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This knife's single blade, a bottle opener, nail file, and two flat-head screwdrivers (one large, one small) come packed in a slimline aluminum case. There's a can opener, too--though I've never tried to use it--and a panel on one side that can be engraved. It's an elegant package and lightweight. Once you're used to this little buddy, you won't want to carry the standard red plastic version.

The only caveat: Don't take this to the airport. It will be confiscated.

NOTE: To avoid losing it, you can attach a cord or thin chain to the small ring at the end. With this, a woman can attach her knife to her purse, and will be automatically reminded to return it when the task is done. A man can attach the chain to a belt loop. Until I did this, I had several "walk" after lending them to someone who needed a knife "just for a minute."

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect pocket knife, October 29, 2008
I have many pocket knives including quite a few Swiss Army Knives (SAKs). Most SAKs are too bulky for comfortable pocket carry. The Cadet model is outstanding because it is so pocket friendly. At only 8 milimeters thick, it can truly be carried in comfort and forgotten about. It is classy enough to pass as a gentleman's knife for dressier occasions. It is just big enough for a strong grip and has just enough tool options to be useful for miscellaneous tasks and small repairs. With the egraving panel, it can make a good personalized gift. This is a really great product. Even if a person owned only one pocket knife, this would be a good one to have. Highly recommended.

[Update 05/19/2009: 7 months later I am still carrying this daily and I still think it is a great tool. I have learned that the small screw driver fits #2 Phillips head screws. Also, the fingernail cleaner can be used to turn #1 Phillips head screws (and also makes an effective probe). Quite versatile. There have been many times this has allowed me to do small fix-it jobs or saved me a trip to the work bench for a standard tool. A whole lot of versatility in a very slim package. I am never without it.]

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect instance of an EDC pen knife, March 13, 2011
E (Washington, DC USA) - See all my reviews
The Cadet SAK is absolutely perfect for me. I work in an office and don't really need a heavy-duty blade. The blade is perfect for light tasks like cutting tape to open packages or slicing my lunchtime apple (stainless steel blade can be cleaned easily), the can and bottle openers work great as screwdrivers, and I actually use the nail file a lot more often than I had expected. I would love if this thing had scissors, but most of the things you need to do with scissors you can actually accomplish with a small blade like the one on the Cadet. In terms of size and weight, it's about perfect. The Alox SAKs are really thin and light; in fact, I sometimes forget it's in my pocket, and a couple of times have put my pants back on the hanger with the knife still in the pocket.

I used to carry a very small tactical folder (2' blade), but there are two advantages to the Cadet: 1) the Cadet has more tools; 2) most people in a "civilized" office setting will think you're some kind knife-wielding maniac if you carry even a tiny tactical folder. The Cadet is a fantastic compromise; it's not the only tool you'll ever need, but it's one that will meet a lot of your requirements.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite knife, December 8, 2008
Greg Hahn (Louisville, KY USA) - See all my reviews
My old "Tinker" model Swiss Army knife has been my old standby for years, perfect for cabinet access and other quickie jobs at work. I just hated to leave home without it.

I liked the Tinker because it had a Philips screwdriver. But in all honesty, I would often use one of the slotted screwdrivers on it to turn phillips head screws. And how useful, really, is that toothpick? Or the tweezers? And the Tinker was thinner than many Swiss Army knives, but it would still leave a big lump in my pocket. And with all that it had on it, there was nothing on it to clean my fingernails when they got dirty. Oh how I wished for that at times!

Enter the Swiss Army Cadet. It's so thin I almost forget it's in my pocket. (Other than that, it's the same size as the Tinker and many other Swiss Army models.)

It has both slotted screwdrivers with can and bottle openers from the Tinker. And the big cutting blade. And a nail file. It's perfect. Anybody want to buy a Tinker?

5.0 out of 5 stars After a long search, we have a winner, June 27, 2010
I'm a bit of a pocket knife geek. I'll bet I've bought 5 in the past year looking for the perfect everyday knife. This is it. The tools you need on a regular basis in a slim, attractive package. Love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Limited edition orange version, June 29, 2012
Some guys buy each other a beer, we buy knives, buddy just got me this in limited edition orange.

Features on this knife, like all SAK's functionality are smooth and work great. Comes flawless and oiled from the factory. Very kind to the eyes.

The aluminum side plates really add something, makes the plastic versions look cheap. Feel of the aluminum is pleasant, retention with dry hands is good, wet is probably about average. This is the perfect knife for slim and small EDC pocket carry, if that's your POU (nutnfancy fans). The aluminum finish makes this passable as a gentleman's knife as well.

What this ISN'T for, in my opinion, camping, salt water, tackle box, survival, self defense, tacticle or mechanical. Those roles are covered by all the other more robust/thick SAK's.

This is a reliable, light use, aesthetic, slim EDC that can take some abuse and look good doing it. Don't lug around that big thick one every day, get this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slim, strong and ideal, January 19, 2010
I have tons of Swiss Army Knives (SAKs), but I think this is my favorite. It's so slim it disappears in your pocket. The sturdy metal handle with cross-hatching feels great and is easy to control in your hand. As with all SAKs, the workmanship is excellent. With the Cadet in your inventory, you will seldom reach for a plastic handled SAK again. The only disadvantage is that the metal handled knives don't have toothpick or tweezers. But the slim design -- to me -- makes the metal handled knives worth the trade off. Get someone a SAK Cadet and they'll love it. Word of warning; the colored Cadets (black, orange, etc.) are being discontinued. Only the silver ones will be manufactured in the future. So if you like the colored ones, get yours fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy pocket knife, January 7, 2010
Not the everyday mini-knife. This classy looking item looks & functions far beyond it's modest price.

Cadet Black Swiss Knife