Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

VINE VOICEon June 17, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Four knives plus a sharpening steel, plus a pair of kitchen scissors, plus a wood block holder equals seven pieces.

It is good you can actually see the set here on Amazon as the box it comes in is a little misleading because there is a knife in every slot in the photo. Part of consistent quality cooking is good equipment and these knives are excellent tools. They are extraordinarily sharp and the handles are durable and comfortable are easy to keep clean and sanitary. One other note - the paring knife does not bear the Victorinox markings. The pair of kitchen shears, as I recall from the box, are made in Italy and do not bear the Victorinox markings, either -- so they are not exactly like other shears or scissors from the company. They are still solid, sharp, and useful, though. I am not really sure why you would want a 5 inch and a 8 inch chef's knife as they are not that different in size.

From what I can tell, the set consists of the following:
Victorinox 3-1/4-Inch Paring Knife(but it doesn't have the markings)
Victorinox 125th Anniversary Limited Edition 4-1/2-Inch Tomato/Bagel Knife(without the 125th anniversary stuff)
Victorinox 5-Inch Mini-Chef's Knife with Fibrox Handle
Victorinox Fibrox 8-Inch Chef's Knife
Kitchen Shear, 3 in., Black Nylon Handle
Victorinox Cutlery 9-Inch Round Sharpening Steel, Black Plastic Handle
And the block

Still, a good set for the price at this time ($110.00 US) and it would make a good gift or starter set for a household that does not have a good set of knives.
on July 15, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I have never had a set of "good" knives before this. Over time I accumulated mostly knives that weren't very sharp to start with, and/or didn't keep their sharpness for any time, but have two that have been quite nice.
This set in its block is attractive on my counter. There were three slots in the block that were still available, so the two respectable knives I already own are stored there now.
These are awesomely sharp. I use them for everything; there are sizes for every use. Although the handles are a black plastic (resin, I think?) they still have a very nice heft and feel to them. The shape and texture of the handles is good for a secure and comfortable grip. Only the second-smallest knife has a serrated edge. I might have liked to have a bigger serrated knife to use for bread, but I can add one of those later. I have yet to need the sharpening tool after two months of regularly using the knives.
I am hand-washing these as recommended, although I am typically the type to toss things in the dishwasher and just hope they'll come out okay. I want to keep these as nice and new-looking as possible since they are on display in my kitchen, and I intend to use them for a loooong time to come! My next task will be to go through the drawer with all my old knives and start tossing...
VINE VOICEon June 19, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Prior to ordering this product, I actually didn't have a woodblock knife storage unit in my kitchen. I just kept my knives in a drawer next to the fridge. So I always knew there was something missing there, between the toaster and the stove, a kitchen simply isn't complete without one of these babies ornamenting the countertop. It says to the curious visitor: "Yes, I can do things in the kitchen apart from nuking Hot Pockets and heating up Beefaroni." It exudes elegance and class, it's a masterpiece of form and functionality, and it holds knives too.

I was quite pleased to note that this set proudly meets the expectations that it's slightly steep price induces. It's a great starter set of knives, beginning with the ubiquitous eight inch butcher knife. Actually it's called a "Chef's" knife here, which is probably more politically correct, not to mention more accurate. If you're doing any 'butchering' in your kitchen, please don't invite me to dinner.

There's also a five inch junior chef's knife included, as well as a four and a half inch tomato knife and a paring knife that's slightly over three inches long. The sharpening steel is a nice addition, combine this with a formidable pair of scissors and you have quite a product on your hands. All are quite sturdy and quality made products.

This seven-piece set includes:

1) 3 1/4" paring knife
2) 4 1/2" tomato/bagel knife (okay, it's really a serrated butter knife)
3) 5" mini-chef's / utility knife
4) 8" chef's knife
5) Sharpening Steel
6) Kitchen Shear (fancy title for scissors)
7) Great quality woodblock to store them all, with three extra slots for any knives you may already own

Since this baby has been sitting on my counter, all manner of visitors to my home have been struck by the presence this beast makes in the kitchen. The sharpening steel has a hook at the butt of the handle, which I used to hang it over the stove. Highly recommended.

Now where are those Hot Pockets. . .
VINE VOICEon February 25, 2013
We've had this for about a year and a half now. Every piece that comes in this set is high quality and very, very sharp. One of the reasons we purchased this particular set was because it comes with a couple extra open slots in the block. We were able to fill these in with one knife that we already had, and we purchased a second of the larger chef's knife that comes with this set. We enjoy cooking together in the evenings, and this set offers a wide selection of knives to get any job done! This set would make a great house warming or wedding gift. I wish I could give this product ten stars.
VINE VOICEon June 15, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These knives are an outstanding value for the money. I'm not a chef by any means, but I am a dedicated home cook who wants good tools that are satisfying to use. The knives in this set are exactly that, and at a bargain price.

I agree that this is not the best looking set of knives you'll ever own; calling their design "basic" is almost generous. Whether or not you will ultimately like the fit and feel of the handles is a purely personal decision. One of the best pieces of advice someone who is a professional chef ever gave me about choosing knives was to try them out. Everyone's hands are different, everyone's preferences for how knives feel in their hands are different.

As to whether I would give this set as a gift, it would depend entirely on what I was trying to accomplish with the gift. If I wanted to give something that looked high-end and showy, maybe not. If I wanted to give someone a set of very functional, very effective, very well handling knives, you bet I would.
VINE VOICEon June 1, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a beautiful knife set. Right out of the box I was amazed at the quality of the butcher block alone. It is quite heavy, well built with beautiful wood from and hand carved in Malaysia. The Kitchen Shear, made in France, is quite easy to grip with a very clean slice. I used it to cut heavy string and paper for checking its quality. The Sharpening Steel, made in Sheffield, England is of good quality as well. Decent length with typical sharpening steel design. The 8" Chef Kife, made in Switzerland is AMAZING! I used it to trim fat off of many round roasts that I was cutting into steaks for a Memorial Day weekend picnic. The ease of this knife was incredible. I don't particularly like the plastic grip on any of these knives, but they are typical of most knives. I just have one knife that is a softer grip with grooves that is much better, but that is my only minor complaint with this set. The set also comes with a 3 1/4" Paring Knife, 4 1/2" Tomato/Bagel Knife and a 5" Mini Che's /Utility Knife all manufactured in Switzerland. Each knife works as well as the Chef's Knife and they absolutely made my prep much easier for my picnic. The small paring knife is perfect for cutting anything from cheese to beets! There are 3 extra spaces in the block for other knives, but honestly, other than the great bread knife I described above, I can't think of any other knife that I would need in this set. I am very happy with this set and I can imagine I will be for quite a long time. Please hand wash these or any other knife you have as sometimes the dishwasher will stain the steel of the blade.
on December 22, 2014
I love this knife set and have been using it for a few years now and it's still in great condition. The knives cut very well and the sissocrs and sharpener have both been very useful. This is definitely one of those sets that last and a trusted brand. The extra slots in the knife set allow me to add a few of my own which is an extra benefit.
on April 5, 2015
They're not that eye catching knifes until you see the Victorinox logo. The plastic handle is shiny on the small knives and matte on the big ones, (somewhat resembles the look of asphalt... not in a bad way). You get the impression that they don't belong to the same set. Once you are holding one, it really doesn't look cheap, very nice grip. The blades have that great Victorinox shine that screams quality. The wood block looks a lot nicer than in the pictures, but, it doesn't have the correct cutouts for the knives that come with the set, it also has two extra slots which I really like. The only funny thing is that the scissor doesn't have the Victorinox name or logo BUT, it really looks sturdy and quality made.
If you don't mind all this they're GREAT!
VINE VOICEon August 24, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Great knife set, once I finished reading the description and realized as others had before me that "7-piece knife set with block" meant 4 knives, a scissors, a sharpener, and the wood block -- NOT 7 knives. I kept looking at least for a 7th piece, since "with block" implies that it's extra. This is the problem with over-describing an item, i.e., making it sound better than it is so the customer is inclined to buy it. (You see that with used and out-of-print books a lot. The real pros "under-describe" their books and describe every tiny flaw, so that the customer opens the package and is amazed at how much better the book is than they expected .. but I digress.)

So glad I don't have to order the 5-inch mini chef's knife. Yes, it was included. And the extra slots on the block will come in very handy. It's great to have the knives out on the counter, and I do prefer a knife block to the magnetic strips currently in vogue. This is a nice set, and I was pleased to see Victorinox's good customer support for the reviewer who was so unhappy with their set.

I expect many long years of service from this fine set. One star off for the misleading description and minimal internal packaging.
on January 7, 2012
Excellent Quality Great Price I also added a boning knife and a bread knife to the 7 piece knife block set. There still remains one empty slot for yet another knife if you want to acquire another knife. The knifes are very sharp! This is my second set ordered as a gift. The first set did not require sharpening for over 4 years... just occasional realigning of the edge with the steel. We are extremely pleased!

See 1 answered question