5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it
Published on December 22, 2007 by R. Wood

3.0 out of 5 stars Very sharp, but a much thinner blade than I expected.
This is great for slicing bread.
I was just a bit disappointed in the thickness of the blade. I am accustomed to my old Chicago Cutlery knife that was in dire need of being replaced. That has a very thick blade. I couldn't bend that blade if I tried! This Victorinox is much thinner, and...flexible may be a kinder word. Perhaps that has a benefit I do not know...
Published on April 1, 2010 by bedrestmom

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it, December 22, 2007
This review is from: Victorinox Cutlery 10-Inch Round Tip Slicing Knife, Black Fibrox Handle (Kitchen)
I have ,as a professional cook,done a lot of banquet and buffet duty using the 12" Granton edge version-rosewood handle. Cross rib,Prime Rib,tri tip,turkey,ham,the Forschner was up to the task. A couple years ago..I picked up the non-granton 12" for myself at a yardsale. At home,I rarely roast anything that big...so it didn't get used really until I wanted to slice a potato VERY thin. I was surprised...this second hand knife with it's over-long blade easily made potato chip thin slices and I'd never even properly sharpened it.

Inspired....I gave it a little tuneup on the steel...went to town and got some fresh salmon and wasabi and had a Sashimi binge. I was rather surprised how well it was working and just kept slicing thinner and thinner pieces. Sweet.

The blade is thin..a bit flexy,quite sharp with no drag. As a Sashimi knife...I think the round tip will get reshaped,but in case I need to fillet a salmon or carve a roast-I have plenty of faith. I'll be taking it to work after the holidays to fine edge it on the nice stone there.

For home....10" is plenty long,and if you can do slivers of raw salmon...a roast beef is way easy. Forschner's Fibrox handles don't look as good as the rosewood-but are less apt to get slippery. You can spend more for cosmetic reasons....get a brand with a more artsy looking handle. I'd rather be more fussy about the food and use one of these to get beautiful thin slices...like the pros

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutelty Great Value, August 1, 2008
This knife is perfect for slicing meats. I'm a BBQ fanatic and I haven't found a better tool for briskets. The Victorinox brand has a long history of using good quality steel, so I expect to have this knife around for a LONG time. For the price, you really can't go wrong.
One small suggestion...if you're looking at this for slicing bread, get a serrated edge version. What works with meat does not work on bread and vice versa.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a GREAT knife!, December 25, 2008
Deanokat (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I needed a new carving knife and chose this one based on the excellent customer reviews it had received on Amazon. I couldn't be any happier with my purchase! The knife arrived the day before Christmas and I used it to slice the butterflied leg of lamb I made for Christmas dinner. I was amazed at how sharp this knife is! As an experiment, I tried to see how thin I could slice the lamb with this knife. I was surprised to find that I could actually cut thin "shaved" slices of meat. I have not been able to cut meat that thin with any of the older Hoffritz knives I have, even right after sharpening them. I can only imagine how great this knife will be for thinly slicing tomatoes, potatoes, roast beef, and anything else I can throw at it. For the price, I doubt you can find a better carving knife. Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Knife, April 9, 2008
What a great knife. Slice paper thin strips of meat...slice through soft veggies that ordinarily crush....and dishwasher safe.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly great, December 12, 2008
This is a really reasonably priced slicing knife. I bought this after reading Cook's Illustrated review. It's comfortable to hold, and does a nice job. I wish the blade were a tad heavier.but for less than $30, I am happy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great knife!, August 13, 2008
I didn't think I'd know what to do with a 10" 'slicing' knife and pondered whether to send it back. But it's melon season where I live and it cuts through all melons like butter. A great knife!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, useful knife, November 22, 2008
This knife comes with the non-slip Fibrox handle. Knife is very sharp and works well for breads, tomatoes, and slicing meat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price,Great knife, September 5, 2008
. Cook's Illustrated rated it #1 This price is unbelievable Buy it now or it will go up soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great knife for the price, November 28, 2009
Ordered this knife to arrive by Thanksgiving to use on the turkey. I've cooked the bird on a Weber for 20 years and this is the first time i could carve the breast on the bird and have it work out. The thin blade is just stiff enough, the edge was razor sharp from the package, and the turkey slices were paper thin. I wish I'd had this blade a month ago when I butchered a 12 lb prime rib in front of company. One continuous cut works best and I can't wait to try it on tri tip and brisket. Only question left is how long it will hold it's edge. This is a grat value for an excellent knife.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice knife!, January 17, 2009
This is a great slicer. Comfortable, well balanced, sharp, and easy to use. The blade has some flex to it, but is by no means floppy, and the 10" length is good for most home applications. If you consistently need to slice *large* roasts or brisket, you may want the 12" version, but I am happy with the 10".

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›