5.0 out of 5 stars Superb knife for the purpose and value
I grind my own burgers from roasts so I can have one rare or medium-rare without worrying about that nasty e coli, and I also like to butterfly chicken before grilling it because it makes it much easier to cook it evenly. Both of these tasks are made so much easier with a proper boning knife.

I have a full set of Henkel 4-stars and also some of their very fine...
Published on July 24, 2011 by J. B Kraft

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as pictured
Victorinox knives are great and affordable and I would recommend em to anyone.

The knife I received is not the same as the one pictured above. Maybe it's because Victorinox is no longer branding their knives with the Forschner name, but the knife I received was neither Forschner, nor did it have the Fibrox name on the handle. The handle did not seem to be the...
Published 7 months ago by Dvice

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb knife for the purpose and value, July 24, 2011
J. B Kraft "lonestargazer" (Palestine, TX United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Victorinox Cutlery 6-Inch Straight Boning Knife, Black Fibrox Handle (Kitchen)

I have a full set of Henkel 4-stars and also some of their very fine Twin-star knives, but this is an exceptional knife for a price of less than $20.00. It was delivered extremely sharp, and the integrated semisoft plastic grip is non-slip, which is very important from the standpoint of safety. In fact, I actually think it is a safer grip than the much more expensive Henkels if you are cutting something wet and messy, as raw meat always is. I would never put a sharp knife in my dishwasher, but this knife is very easy to clean in warm soapy water after using it to cut meat or poultry. I bought this knife because it was the top-rated boning knife in Cooks Illustrated, and as usual, their recommendations are very much on the money. This is my second Victorinox -- the other being a 12" slicer, and both are made from excellent steel with good grips, and are highly stain resistant and easy to clean and sharpen.

I suggest if you are working with something (like poultry) that is very slick, you consider using a washeable kevlar or steel knit glove to grip the surface. This knife came as sharp as any I've ever purchased, and just touching the blade to your skin can cut your skin so finely you can't feel it, and who wants to get even organic poultry or meat drippings on an open wound?

If you are considering a wedding present for someone just starting out who doesn't have a lot of money but wants to work with quality tools, a Victorinox set is a great starter set of knives.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son found one., April 2, 2013
My 15 year old son bought one of these knives at the church yard sale about six months ago. He payed $2. for it and another smaller china made blade. The blade writing was very faint, but the handle is a polymer type and has the name "Victorinox Fibrox", this is the same knife as is for sale here. Before I continue and review this blade I should speak of my experience.

I have many Scandinavian knives and find the lest expensive of these to be of much higher grade steel than much more expensive popular brands. For instance, an $11. Mora 3 inch with a wood handle or a $16. 5.75" Mora with a polymer handle, (both come with a sheath) are much higher quality than an equivalent popular brand knife costing $50. or more. Rag Weed Forge is a great small company that carries hundreds of examples of these and so do many vendors on Amazon. I have forged many blades using varies carbon steel alloys. I have made many small wood scrapers for rifle stock in-letting and small skinning knives out of old Craftsman tools bought at pawn shops for pennies. I spend hours sharpening knives as a way to relax and unwind at the end of a day. I know very well what a good knife should be able to do and how to make them.

This Victorinox 6 inch Boning Knife is my favorite kitchen knife for cutting vegetables and slicing beef roast and steak to make Jerky. My sons and I do this every other day. I sharpen this knife one time, just before I start to slice the meat. We cut up about 5 pounds at a time and I should add that this Victorinox holds the edge through it all. I sharpen it at a 17 to 20 degree angle for this work. What I mean by that is each side is between 17 and 20 degrees for a combined edge geometry of 34 to 40 degrees, this is a surgical scalpel geometry angle. You can get a good sharp edge at 12 degrees on each side too. My wife uses a "Worthog" sharpener if I am not around to do the work. This is a good addition to a household because there is no skill needed to bring a dull blade to an a razors edge (that will shave the hair off your arm) in just 2 minutes or less. The Worthog by V-Sharp is the easiest most effective one I have found.

This Victorinox kitchen Knife has a hard steel blade that is brittle and that is good and bad. Good in that it gets very sharp and holds that edge for a long time. Bad, because the fine edge will chip if you hit something hard if not careful while cutting. Using a less steep angle than I do, will lessen this a lot.

The blade at the spine starting at the handle: 0.106" and at midpoint is 0.096" and at the tip is 0.033". The blades width is, starting at the base or handle is 1.011". Midpoint is 0.820". The tip, I measured half an inch from the tip point back toward the handle, is 0.385". REMEMBER this is a slightly used blade, so these dimensions will vary slightly from a NEW blade.
The handle is very comfortable. It feels soft, maybe a little cushy and warm to the touch. Very grippe even when wet, oily and greasy. Washing the handle with dish soap makes it feel even more so.

The reason I am even here to write this review is because I am buying several of these knives, in different lengths, to replace the old knives, and to replace the ones my three boys have lost in the backyard in there younger years. I have lost count of all the spoons, knives and forks that have gone missing over the years. We find them now and then in the dirt where they played. I know this is a common problem with kids, because my mother reminds me and my brother on occasion.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm very hard on this knife., January 9, 2014
I use boning knifes for work, I am a mechanical pipe insulator. When I am not cutting fiberglass insulation, I'm cutting urethane insulation. I use this knife to cut through the protective aluminum and PVC jacketing that we install on the outside of the insulation. I use this knife whenever I have a need for a knife or an object of similar shape, which means that I also use it as a ice pick and a hammer, to chip off the ice on those really cold pipes where ice has built up. I use it as a screw driver, a tuning fork, and a doo hickey. OK not really a tuning fork, but if I was a musician, I would consider it. Since I bought it a month ago, I have only sharpened it once. And even before that first sharpening, it was still sharper than the knives the rest of my crew use. The moral of my story is that this is a great knife, and even though I'm not using it in the kitchen and comparing it to the rest of my collection of fine culinary cutlery, it suits my needs very well, its held up to a lot of unwarranted abuse, abuse that would make some of you cringe, and for the money, you can't go wrong. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great knife around my kitchen!, November 20, 2012
This knife was a recommended item at America's Test Kitchen. I use it a lot as it is a great "filleting" knife,

The price was "friendly" compared to the big brand names.

It is a good find!

5.0 out of 5 stars my favorite knife!, March 2, 2014
I have a number of knives, but this knife is by far my favorite, and its uses go far beyond boning. The handle is perfect in texture, size, and shape. It feels great in my hand and it fits like a glove (so to speak). The blade is excellent, very sharp and keeps an edge, and the curved tip makes it possible to "cut to the board" by tilting the knife. This knife is also perfectly balanced, which makes an enormous difference in how light, nimble, and responsive it is in my hand. The balance point is right at my index finger, which is exactly where it should be. I still use my 8 inch chef's knife (also Victorinox) when I need leverage and finger clearance (as in slicing carrots), and I have a smaller knife (a stiff serrated utility knife that I bought at the grocery store for maybe $3) for "in the air" work such as slicing bananas or dates into a bowl (I tried the Victorinox paring knife but the handle is just too darn small). The chef's knife is also perfectly balanced for a traditional "index finger down the side of the blade" grip. I use a modified grip (hand further back on the handle, tip of index finger on the back of the blade), which also works quite well. But I digress :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good knife, April 28, 2012
This is a good knife, however it is hard to get a good edge on it. The flexible version is better choice for most tasks.

5.0 out of 5 stars product as expected, October 2, 2013
Bought based on high rating by Cook's Illustrated. Product arrived in good condition; was sharpened and ready to use, the handle was secure to the blade. The blade has good flexibility for cutting meat off of carcasses (chicken, pork, etc.) The handle maintains its grip when wet. The knife is utilitarian - it does not "high end" industrial design associated with Henkel, etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great knife for the money, July 30, 2013
For the money, this is an excellent knife. Main purpose is for boning and trimming chicken. So far, has been very easy to use, and has held a very sharp edge. Great choice for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars The knives do not disappoint. I do not believe you can find better ..., September 3, 2014
I bought several Victorinox knives recently for my wife’s birthday. She requested the knives because they were rated very highly by “Cook’s Illustrated” magazine. The knives do not disappoint. I do not believe you can find better knives for the price. In fact, I am not sure if you can find much better knives for any price. I strongly recommend Victorinox.

5.0 out of 5 stars very sharp, May 25, 2014
WALTER R LAMPE (Modesto, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
Good feel to the knife and holds the sharp edge very well. Cuts meats with ease, like through soft butter.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›