5.0 out of 5 stars Best pocket knife I've owned
Published on January 26, 2011 by Country Boy

3.0 out of 5 stars Fit and finish not so good
Bought this knife with the Victorinox Cadet because it had the added saw blade, but when I opened it the first thing I noticed is that the pressed pins had scratches and gaps between the pin and the frame of he knife. Next I noticed that on some of the saw teeth the cutting edge was very jagged like there had been some chatter in the tooling when the teeth were being cut,...
Published 18 months ago by Portobdd

5.0 out of 5 stars Best pocket knife I've owned, January 26, 2011
This review is from: Victorinox Farmer (Sports)
I love Victorinox knives. I replaced my old Victorinox Camper, which I used HEAVILY for over 10 years. I wasn't nice about it either. I got it when I was about 11, and it finally got lost when I was about 22. Me and my friends use to joke about how it wouldn't break, rust, or wear out. It was almost kind of creepy. Finally, the scales popped off, and I glued them back on. Here are the things I like about Vic knives:

a. Amazing polished steel. It helps in cutting and makes them resist rust better than any knife I've seen. Things seem to rust in those little crevices created by non-polished steel other brands employ.

b. Sharpen easily. It's weird. They sharpen easily but the blades don't really wear out. Go figure...

c. Carry comfortably.

d. Have MORE than just a blade. Especially this one. It has a TON of uses. Sometimes, just having a blade isn't enough. And we've all seen people use them for screwdrivers - a disaster and big NO NO. I didn't even do this when I was a kid. Don't do it! Vics have screwdrivers on them.

e. THE SAW. This thing is no joke. I've cut nice-sized branches and cedar trees with my camper, and I know this will work as well.

f. The alox scales. They provide a nice grip.

g. Beefed up tools on the alox knives. The tools are somewhat larger and sturdier, especially the blade.

I think this thing could probably clean a deer if it wanted to. I really think it could be done. It will be nice for small game, too. It can do almost anything you want within reason.

This is the last pocket knife I'll buy for a very very very long time...maybe forever. I've had Buck, Gerber, pretty much everything. They haven't quite measured up...they wear out. They rust. I even had a Leatherman SuperTool. The tools are totally inaccessible and the tool is bulky. The steel rusts like crazy...what a pain. It weighs like a pound!

This thing is nice and light and durable. LOVE IT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars How did I make it this long w/o one?, June 29, 2011
solocanoe (fort smith, ar) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Victorinox Farmer (Sports)
Due to a childhood accident with a folding knife I became a 'fixed blade only' person since. I've never found much a small fixed blade couldn't do and I carried one up to the Army, in the Army, and every day since. In truth, a knife IS a multi-tool if you are willing to beat on it enough. :)

Thru a forum, I recently ended up with an early, red Alox farmer. I had no idea the Farmer was one of the best loved models - but I can agree it's a great one. The tiny SAK's appear like toys to me, and the ones with a gazillion widgets on it seem like they belong in a glovebox. I added a "clip draw" so I can clip it to my pocket, and started toting it around. My intention was to "give it a try"....I didn't expect a lot of it.

My surprise is that the saw is incredible, the knife blade is very easy to put a super sharp edge on, and the awl is an incredible firesteel striker.

In the past month or so I've been carrying it, I've yet to need the can opener, or either screwdriver, but the bottle opener does work well, I can attest to, lol.

Will I ever give up carrying a smallish fixed blade daily? No. I enjoy knowing I have a tough survival tool or SD tool close at hand...
but have my eyes been opened to the wonderful SAK Farmer? YES! they have. It's a journey...and for now...the SAK Farmer and I are traveling together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alox Swiss Army Knives - The way to go!, September 21, 2007
This review is from: Victorinox Farmer (Sports)
Out of all the Alox Victorinox knives, the Farmer has to be my favorite. Nice and razor sharp out of the box. Very "pocketable" with useful tools. Dismiss the idea that these are mere novelty items (Victorinox Knives), a true mini-workhorse. I used the wood saw to cut down a few small diameter trees in my backyard, and the bottle opener used mainly to open my favorite beers, has been used as a light pry tool. Very affordable, warranty, easy to re-sharpen, tough, and classy looking - go get it!

5.0 out of 5 stars "Awesome Farmer", January 23, 2009
This review is from: Victorinox Farmer (Sports)
I have many SAKS, But the one I always come back to is the Vic Farmer. Tha Alox scales look great after many years of service. The main blade is razor sharp from the factory and easy to maintain. The saw is the cat's meow in my book, The teeth stay sharp and are self cleaning. I have opened hundreds of cans with the opener. It's a cinch with a little practice. If you want a versatile SAK that will virtualy last a life time. The Victorinox Farmer is the one for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classy Knife with a lot of Functionality, November 21, 2013
This review is from: Victorinox Farmer
The Victorinox Farmer is an excellent knife that provides a lot of utility and functionality in a knife that looks great. This is a knife you can carry whether you are wearing jeans or a suit.

Following is my breakdown:

Blade:
The blade is made of stainless steel and does not lock when opened. The blade is non-serrated and comes with a sharp straight edge. The blade has a good cutting edge out of the box and is very easy to sharpen. This knife is thin so your ability to grip the knife will be dependent on the size of your hand.

Alox Handle:
The Alox handle looks great and feels good in your hands. The handle is aluminum and provides this knife with a classy look. The look of this knife really separates it from so many other knives that are available.

Saw:
The saw works surprisingly well for small to medium size branches. Like any tool don't expect wondrous results when you utilize it for a task that it was not designed to handle. The saw does not lock.

Bottle Opener with large locking screwdriver:
The bottle opener and large straight screwdriver are one solid piece that performs very well. Both tools work as designed with no functionality flaws.

Can Opener with Small Screwdriver:
The can opener can take a little getting used to if you have never opened a can with it but nothing that a little practice won't fix. The small screwdriver functions good.

Reamer:
Sharp and pointy for putting holes where they need to be.

Key ring:
The key ring is good quality and will functions well. The key ring is good if you want to add a paracord lanyard. Personally, I think paracord would detract from the beauty of this knife but it is an option.

Overall Assessment:

The Victorinox Farmer is just an awesome knife that should be in everyone's collection. Weighing in at only 3 ounces you won't even know it is in your pocket until you need it and then you will have a lot of functionality out of this small package. For me, this knife has an "x-factor" that boosts its rating. The look of this knife is classy and not typical of many of the different assortment of knives that I own. I really like the look and feel of this knife especially for those times when I have to put on the suit and tie. I recommend this knife based on functionality, utility, looks, and classiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Victorinox, January 8, 2014
This review is from: Victorinox Farmer (Sports)
I love the aluminum scales on these. They are much nicer than the plastic ones. The plastic scales can be pulled away from the liner with your fingernail. Not so with the aluminum scales on the Farmer. Don't get me wrong because I still love my Victorinox knives with plastic handles and never had a problem with them breaking or anything. The saw is awesome and I noticed these Farmer knives (I ordered two) are about the same size as my Victorinox Officer model yet the blade, can opener, and bottle opener are thicker metal on the Farmer. This is by far my favorite Victorinox yet. Very sweet knife for the tools you get and the price you pay. Sure the stainless is a little softer than the expensive knives have but it still last a pretty good while before you have to re-sharpen and usually a few light swipes on a pocket diamond or ceramic rod fixes the edge right up. I highly recommend this knife with no hesitation especially if you're a camper or hiker because of the saw which is good for firewood or if hiking and need to make a splint. Anyone who wants the tools this model offers I think will find great satisfaction in the tougher aluminum scales which have a little better grip than the smooth plastic models.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, July 24, 2014
JNieporte (Ohio, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Victorinox Farmer
The venerable Farmer is up to $30 now. That's a bit high, but the quality is still there. The Farmer is 3-5/8" long when closed and is 7/16" thick. It weighs 3.7 ounces. The liners are aluminum, as are the ribbed Alox (aluminum oxide) handle scales. The ribbed texture gives a better grip than the smooth Alox, and it hides scratches and wear better. On the back is a small (3/4" by 1/4") smooth rectangle so you can engrave something on it. The standard Victorinox split ring is attached, which is just a 3/8" diameter steel split ring. The Farmer is basic, but very capable. None of the blades or tools lock, just so you know. Here's the tool layout, sorted by the layers:
-The knife blade. It's a little larger than a standard Swiss Army Knife blade, at 2-3/4" long with a 2-5/8" cutting edge. It's 56 on the Rockwell scale, and is pretty easy to sharpen. It's your basic Victorinox blade: easy to take an edge, very stain-resistant, and low to medium edge retention. In truth, if you dull the blade before you can touch it up, you probably should have brought a more appropriate tool. The blade opens via nail nick.
-The reamer. It's 1-1/2" long and sharpened to poke holes in things. The arm of the reamer is sharpened on one side as well, enabling you to use it as a fire steel striker. A small lip allows you to open it. I wish this were the standard reamer on all Swiss Army Knives and not just the Alox models, but I see why the flat awl makes more sense on the others.
-The middle layer houses the wood saw. It's 2-7/8" long with some very aggressive teeth. They're kerfed, meaning the teeth are thicker than the spine so the saw doesn't get stuck in wood. They will cut on both the push and pull stroke. The saw is a little flexible, which you want in a saw. The spine is sharp, giving you one more option to strike a ferrocium rod if you have to. A few people don't like the keyring attachment's placement since it digs into the hand while using the saw, so they file it off. I've never experienced this problem, but if it bugs you, that's a quick fix.
-The last (or first, if you're looking at the Victorinox shield on the handle) layer has the bottle opener / wire stripper / large screwdriver. It's 1-1/4" long and just over 1/16" thick. The bottle opener works just fine. The large flathead screwdriver is 1/4" wide, so you can get some torque in larger screws. This tool also has a detent in the halfway position, allowing for even more torque. You can use this tool for light prying, although Victorinox doesn't warranty that.
-The other tool on this last layer is the small screwdriver / can opener. It's 1-1/4" long and will open cans of food quickly. The proper technique is to cut forward, but either way will work. That flathead screwdriver tip is just under 1/8" wide, and it will work with most #2 or #3 Phillips screws as well.

Overall, the Farmer is a great tool. I think the price is getting a bit high, but it's still worth the cost. There are other colors available from time to time: red, blue, and even black. Those will cost a little more money, but the quality is just as good as the plain-Jane aluminum.

5.0 out of 5 stars You need one of these!, January 13, 2012
This review is from: Victorinox Farmer (Sports)
TheVictorinox Swiss Army Farmer Pocket Knife (Silver Alox Ribbed)is far and away the most important piece of your EDC kit. It is half the weight of my Gerber Multi-tool and does everything the Gerber does except act as a pot grabber. The screw drivers work ok for what they are, emergency help,(if you need more, get a real screw driver). The can opener and bottle opener are a snap to use. I can open a can of coffee almost as fast as my kitchen counter top can opener. The saw is sharp and fast cutting, mine has handled oak fire wood up to 4" thick. Need an extra hole in a gear strap? The awl is great. Do not put your hand behind whatever you'er poking a hole in or you could have a matching hole in you. I mainly use the awl for lighting fires with a ferro rod, sparks are big and hot. The blade is a good size, holds an edge well, and is easy to sharpen. Does it sound like I like this knife? This is the knife I have given to my Daughter, Son-in-law, and Grand-daughter for their emergency kits. I not only trust my life to it, I trust THEIRS to it! Nuff said. The only change I'd like to see is to put a hanger like the Wenger 16520 Standard Issue on it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest EDC Ever, November 11, 2013
This review is from: Victorinox Farmer
What is there to say? My first thought was, 'Why did I not start here instead ending up here?' This thing is exactly what I want in my pocket. Amazing array of tools with nothing superfluous. The awl is particularly useful, and superior to the awls that fold out of the back (like the tinker or trekker). This thing is built like tank, but not in way that makes it heavy. The blade is great. Don't be put off by the softer steel. It may dull quicker, but it also comes back to razor goodness with about 30 seconds of work. The one thing I would say is that for EDC purposes, the wood saw may not be necessary for urban dwellers. It is super handy for camping or outdoor work. However it adds a third layer and so a touch of bulk. Urbanites might prefer the Pioneer for this reason. For me, the Farmer is an absolute gem, don't leave home without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Swiss Army knife..., January 31, 2013
This review is from: Victorinox Farmer (Sports)
What can I say? It's a Swiss Army knife. I've had lots of Swiss Army knives but this is the first one that didn't have the red plastic handle scales. I think these metal scales dress it up a bit and this knife seems to have all of the basic tools that you'd really need ... knife, saw, awl, can opener with small slotted/phillips screwdriver and bottle opener with large slotted screwdriver and wire stripper. I really like this little knife and being all metal, it seems pretty indestructible. :-)