Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Gifts Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Color: Silver Alox, RibbedSize: 3.58"L x 1"W x 0.5"HChange

on January 26, 2011
I love Victorinox knives. I replaced my old Victorinox Camper, which I used HEAVILY for over 10 years. I wasn't nice about it either. I got it when I was about 11, and it finally got lost when I was about 22. Me and my friends use to joke about how it wouldn't break, rust, or wear out. It was almost kind of creepy. Finally, the scales popped off, and I glued them back on. Here are the things I like about Vic knives:

a. Amazing polished steel. It helps in cutting and makes them resist rust better than any knife I've seen. Things seem to rust in those little crevices created by non-polished steel other brands employ.

b. Sharpen easily. It's weird. They sharpen easily but the blades don't really wear out. Go figure...

c. Carry comfortably.

d. Have MORE than just a blade. Especially this one. It has a TON of uses. Sometimes, just having a blade isn't enough. And we've all seen people use them for screwdrivers - a disaster and big NO NO. I didn't even do this when I was a kid. Don't do it! Vics have screwdrivers on them.

e. THE SAW. This thing is no joke. I've cut nice-sized branches and cedar trees with my camper, and I know this will work as well.

f. The alox scales. They provide a nice grip.

g. Beefed up tools on the alox knives. The tools are somewhat larger and sturdier, especially the blade.

I think this thing could probably clean a deer if it wanted to. I really think it could be done. It will be nice for small game, too. It can do almost anything you want within reason.

This is the last pocket knife I'll buy for a very very very long time...maybe forever. I've had Buck, Gerber, pretty much everything. They haven't quite measured up...they wear out. They rust. I even had a Leatherman SuperTool. The tools are totally inaccessible and the tool is bulky. The steel rusts like crazy...what a pain. It weighs like a pound!

This thing is nice and light and durable. LOVE IT!!!
on June 29, 2011
Due to a childhood accident with a folding knife I became a 'fixed blade only' person since. I've never found much a small fixed blade couldn't do and I carried one up to the Army, in the Army, and every day since. In truth, a knife IS a multi-tool if you are willing to beat on it enough. :)

Thru a forum, I recently ended up with an early, red Alox farmer. I had no idea the Farmer was one of the best loved models - but I can agree it's a great one. The tiny SAK's appear like toys to me, and the ones with a gazillion widgets on it seem like they belong in a glovebox. I added a "clip draw" so I can clip it to my pocket, and started toting it around. My intention was to "give it a try"....I didn't expect a lot of it.

My surprise is that the saw is incredible, the knife blade is very easy to put a super sharp edge on, and the awl is an incredible firesteel striker.

In the past month or so I've been carrying it, I've yet to need the can opener, or either screwdriver, but the bottle opener does work well, I can attest to, lol.

Will I ever give up carrying a smallish fixed blade daily? No. I enjoy knowing I have a tough survival tool or SD tool close at hand...
but have my eyes been opened to the wonderful SAK Farmer? YES! they have. It's a journey...and for now...the SAK Farmer and I are traveling together.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 21, 2007
Out of all the Alox Victorinox knives, the Farmer has to be my favorite. Nice and razor sharp out of the box. Very "pocketable" with useful tools. Dismiss the idea that these are mere novelty items (Victorinox Knives), a true mini-workhorse. I used the wood saw to cut down a few small diameter trees in my backyard, and the bottle opener used mainly to open my favorite beers, has been used as a light pry tool. Very affordable, warranty, easy to re-sharpen, tough, and classy looking - go get it!
on January 23, 2009
I have many SAKS, But the one I always come back to is the Vic Farmer. Tha Alox scales look great after many years of service. The main blade is razor sharp from the factory and easy to maintain. The saw is the cat's meow in my book, The teeth stay sharp and are self cleaning. I have opened hundreds of cans with the opener. It's a cinch with a little practice. If you want a versatile SAK that will virtualy last a life time. The Victorinox Farmer is the one for you.
on January 4, 2014
i wanted a multiblade knife with a saw blade.
I think it is perfect for ultralight backpacking. The dimpled aluminum side handles have a great feel. not slippery like the red plastic ones you are familiar with. I have long valued Victorinox quality and this knife is no exception.
on November 11, 2013
What is there to say? My first thought was, 'Why did I not start here instead ending up here?' This thing is exactly what I want in my pocket. Amazing array of tools with nothing superfluous. The awl is particularly useful, and superior to the awls that fold out of the back (like the tinker or trekker). This thing is built like tank, but not in way that makes it heavy. The blade is great. Don't be put off by the softer steel. It may dull quicker, but it also comes back to razor goodness with about 30 seconds of work. The one thing I would say is that for EDC purposes, the wood saw may not be necessary for urban dwellers. It is super handy for camping or outdoor work. However it adds a third layer and so a touch of bulk. Urbanites might prefer the Pioneer for this reason. For me, the Farmer is an absolute gem, don't leave home without it.
on January 13, 2012
TheVictorinox Swiss Army Farmer Pocket Knife (Silver Alox Ribbed)is far and away the most important piece of your EDC kit. It is half the weight of my Gerber Multi-tool and does everything the Gerber does except act as a pot grabber. The screw drivers work ok for what they are, emergency help,(if you need more, get a real screw driver). The can opener and bottle opener are a snap to use. I can open a can of coffee almost as fast as my kitchen counter top can opener. The saw is sharp and fast cutting, mine has handled oak fire wood up to 4" thick. Need an extra hole in a gear strap? The awl is great. Do not put your hand behind whatever you'er poking a hole in or you could have a matching hole in you. I mainly use the awl for lighting fires with a ferro rod, sparks are big and hot. The blade is a good size, holds an edge well, and is easy to sharpen. Does it sound like I like this knife? This is the knife I have given to my Daughter, Son-in-law, and Grand-daughter for their emergency kits. I not only trust my life to it, I trust THEIRS to it! Nuff said. The only change I'd like to see is to put a hanger like the Wenger 16520 Standard Issue on it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 24, 2014
The venerable Farmer is up to $30 now. That's a bit high, but the quality is still there. The Farmer is 3-5/8" long when closed and is 7/16" thick. It weighs 3.7 ounces. The liners are aluminum, as are the ribbed Alox (aluminum oxide) handle scales. The ribbed texture gives a better grip than the smooth Alox, and it hides scratches and wear better. On the back is a small (3/4" by 1/4") smooth rectangle so you can engrave something on it. The standard Victorinox split ring is attached, which is just a 3/8" diameter steel split ring. The Farmer is basic, but very capable. None of the blades or tools lock, just so you know. Here's the tool layout, sorted by the layers:
-The knife blade. It's a little larger than a standard Swiss Army Knife blade, at 2-3/4" long with a 2-5/8" cutting edge. It's 56 on the Rockwell scale, and is pretty easy to sharpen. It's your basic Victorinox blade: easy to take an edge, very stain-resistant, and low to medium edge retention. In truth, if you dull the blade before you can touch it up, you probably should have brought a more appropriate tool. The blade opens via nail nick.
-The reamer. It's 1-1/2" long and sharpened to poke holes in things. The arm of the reamer is sharpened on one side as well, enabling you to use it as a fire steel striker. A small lip allows you to open it. I wish this were the standard reamer on all Swiss Army Knives and not just the Alox models, but I see why the flat awl makes more sense on the others.
-The middle layer houses the wood saw. It's 2-7/8" long with some very aggressive teeth. They're kerfed, meaning the teeth are thicker than the spine so the saw doesn't get stuck in wood. They will cut on both the push and pull stroke. The saw is a little flexible, which you want in a saw. The spine is sharp, giving you one more option to strike a ferrocium rod if you have to. A few people don't like the keyring attachment's placement since it digs into the hand while using the saw, so they file it off. I've never experienced this problem, but if it bugs you, that's a quick fix.
-The last (or first, if you're looking at the Victorinox shield on the handle) layer has the bottle opener / wire stripper / large screwdriver. It's 1-1/4" long and just over 1/16" thick. The bottle opener works just fine. The large flathead screwdriver is 1/4" wide, so you can get some torque in larger screws. This tool also has a detent in the halfway position, allowing for even more torque. You can use this tool for light prying, although Victorinox doesn't warranty that.
-The other tool on this last layer is the small screwdriver / can opener. It's 1-1/4" long and will open cans of food quickly. The proper technique is to cut forward, but either way will work. That flathead screwdriver tip is just under 1/8" wide, and it will work with most #2 or #3 Phillips screws as well.

Overall, the Farmer is a great tool. I think the price is getting a bit high, but it's still worth the cost. There are other colors available from time to time: red, blue, and even black. Those will cost a little more money, but the quality is just as good as the plain-Jane aluminum.
on January 8, 2014
I love the aluminum scales on these. They are much nicer than the plastic ones. The plastic scales can be pulled away from the liner with your fingernail. Not so with the aluminum scales on the Farmer. Don't get me wrong because I still love my Victorinox knives with plastic handles and never had a problem with them breaking or anything. The saw is awesome and I noticed these Farmer knives (I ordered two) are about the same size as my Victorinox Officer model yet the blade, can opener, and bottle opener are thicker metal on the Farmer. This is by far my favorite Victorinox yet. Very sweet knife for the tools you get and the price you pay. Sure the stainless is a little softer than the expensive knives have but it still last a pretty good while before you have to re-sharpen and usually a few light swipes on a pocket diamond or ceramic rod fixes the edge right up. I highly recommend this knife with no hesitation especially if you're a camper or hiker because of the saw which is good for firewood or if hiking and need to make a splint. Anyone who wants the tools this model offers I think will find great satisfaction in the tougher aluminum scales which have a little better grip than the smooth plastic models.
on August 23, 2011
I ordered this knife because I was looking for a Swiss Army Knife that didn't have a bunch of extra useless features. The Farmer has everything I want in a Swiss Army knife and nothing more. Recently I purchased a second Farmer for my survival kit. Its a solid outdoors tool that will handle a large variety of tasks without a lot of bulk.