5.0 out of 5 stars Chef's best friend
Forschner is by far the best knife for the money. They always arrive razor sharp, and have the ability to hold an edge far longer than much more expensive knives. I purchased one for all of my line cooks as they are very durable and can be used to perform almost any task in a professional kitchen.

The "sports mom" comment that it "felt cheap" was probably due...
Published on November 25, 2007 by Chef Bill

3.0 out of 5 stars Like the knife, hate the handle
I bought this particular Santoku because I've had a great experience with my other Victorinox Fibrox knives. I feel that the line, as a whole, is a phenomenal value - they blades are good, hold an edge well, handles are great and comfortable.

Published on February 11, 2011 by Dave Calotta

5.0 out of 5 stars Chef's best friend, November 25, 2007
This review is from: Victorinox Fibrox 7-Inch Granton Edge Santoku Knife (Kitchen)

The "sports mom" comment that it "felt cheap" was probably due to its light weight and composite plastic handle. To an untrained eye, it could be confused for a "cheap" knife, but after de-boning a chicken, slicing through a butternut squash, it still glides through tomatoes like butter and can perform the most surgical of cuts. The composite plastic handle has an amazing grip even when your hands are covered in duck fat, it won't slip.

I own knives that can run up into the $1200 range, but still prefer this little powerhouse for everyday use. If you only own one sharp knife in your entire kitchen, this should be the one. I also have the 10 inch forschner chefs knife, but prefer the graton edge on this one, especially while slicing potatoes.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have, December 22, 2007
B. Inoue "MiyagiSenpai" (Renton, WA United States) - See all my reviews
The Victorinox Fibrox line of knives are all composed of the same high grade metal and well built handles. Cooks Illustrated did indeed rate these knives. However, this santoku was not one of them I believe. The article I read was of the chef's knife.

I have tried many different santoku knives but this one feels the most at home. For me the handle is a little small but it's light. Deceptively light. You wouldn't believe how easily it can go through anything you put it against.

The Granton edge does indeed help with food coming off of the knife. Unless you are chopping something that REALLY sticks to the knife, like I do many times.

Even though I prefer the chef's knife version of this line, the santoku is probably the best one I've ever used. You won't be sorry that you bought this blade. And if you are... it only cost you around $30. Sure, it's no Ken Onion, but then again, it's not over $180 either. For the price, you just can't beat it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forschner 7 Inch Santoku Knife - Agile and Reliable, October 15, 2008
The R H. Forschner by Victorinox 7-Inch Granton Edge Santoku Knife gets almost as much use in my kitchen as the R.H. Forschner by Victorinox 8-Inch Chef's Knife. They both have the black Fibrox handle, which is very comfortable in the hand. They also each have a nice balance to the blade for extended use. The Santoku knife is a little shorter, making it slightly more agile for deboning or butchering. But the slightly greater heft of the chef's knife make it a tad better on larger jobs.

The ridges on the side of the Santoku knife relieve pressure when slicing and dicing. The edge seems to be less aggressive than the chef's knife, but the difference is rather subtle. Both are excellent, but the chef's knife just seems to holds its edge for a slightly longer time. Either of these could be your primary knife, and both are a worthy addition to your kitchen. These two particular models are my personal favorites and make up half of the four knives I use most when preparing meals.

Other than those two knives, I mainly only use a filet knife and a paring knife when cooking. The R H. Forschner by Victorinox 3-1/4-Inch Paring Knife is very highly rated, though I use a different older knife that I had before purchasing these other knives.

For those who prepare a smaller amount of fish than I do, the filet knife's role can really be filled by the Santoku knife. When preparing certain fruits and vegetables, I know the Santoku knife needs sharpening when it does not effectively break the skin unless you start from the point. While I sometimes will use my smaller paring knife for prepping such items, this is a good way to know when it's time to sharpen your knives.

The Forschner line-up of knives are impressive, and give you a lot of knife for a reasonable cost. I purchased too many budget knife sets that ended up collecting dust. I have come to rely on my four favorite knives and find that they do 99% of everything I need in the kitchen.

Definitely consider this knife in combination with others, instead of a knife and block set. A few carefully selected knives are better than a set of average knives any day. Though if I were to purchase a block set, you can get a decent compliment of Forschner knives in the R.H. Forschner by Victorinox 8-Piece Knife Block Set. I don't own that set yet, but I'm just putting that info here for anybody determined to get a knife block set that plans on buying one or more Forschner knives anyway. Perhaps for those that don't have a sharpening steel or chef's knife, it may be worth the investment.

If I had to choose between the 8 inch chef's knife or the 7 inch Santoku, I would take the chef's knife. But for the person who likes to cook often, you will find that both of these knives get plenty of use in your kitchen.

For those that want to gain the 3 most commonly sought knifes, the R.H. Forschner by Victorinox 3-Piece Fibrox Chef's Set is probably ideal for many. For me, I prefer the 8 inch chef's knife to the 10 inch, and I like the Santoku knife over the more slender slicing knife. Either way you go, you really can't go wrong with these.

Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST QUALITY SANTOKU AND FOR THE BEST PRICE. HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION., September 8, 2008
Joel (PORT WASHINGTON, NY, United States) - See all my reviews
By far the best Santoku knife that you can buy for the money. I purchased this for $20 +ship and would spend $30 +ship if I had to. Don't waste your money or overpriced Henckels or Wusthof, you will get what you need right here with the R.H. Forschner.

PROS:
1. Ergonomic and slip resistant handle. No concern at all of it slipping out of your hand.
2. Razor-sharp edge. Watch out, the blade on this knife is unbelievably sharp. Slicing through raw potatoes for steak fries was like cutting through butter.
3. Easy to clean. No cracks or crevices for food to build up.
4. Lightweight and well-balanced. This is not a heavy knife. When in use it feel like an extension of your arm. Not a dumbbell. I see the lightness as a positive.

CONS:
n/a

If you do not already have, I recommend purchasing a Blade Saver (holster) for this knife. (1) Because you don't want to dent or damage the blade wherever you place it and (2) So that you don't cut yourself when locating it in your drawer. This is what I recommend: "The Ultimate Edge BS4 4-Piece Knife Blade Saver Set"

UPDATE 06DEC2008:
I have been using this knife quite often chopping vegetables and slicing meat. It has worked flawlessly, however, I recommend that you invest in a good sharpening knife as the knife seems to dull quite fast. I believe this is in part due to the fact that santoku knife blades are more narrowly cut. While it allows for a razor sharp edge, the edge dulls much faster. May I suggest the Wusthof Asian Edge Sharpener as this specifically sharpens santoku blades Wüsthof Asian Edge Sharpener, Red.

3.0 out of 5 stars Like the knife, hate the handle, February 11, 2011

That said, I am half happy and half disappointed with this knife. The blade is great - arrived very sharp, hones well, cuts great, the curve is perfect, etc. However, the handle is terrible. It's the same shape as my other Fibrox knives, but almost child-sized. My hand cramps when using it for more than a salad's worth of chopping. I'm going to try and stick it out for a bit and see if I can find a comfortable way to hold the knife (only used for ~10 meals thusfar), but this one feels like it may be a return.

UPDATE - October 2012: I've been using this knife now for the better part of two years. I still don't love the handle. For any serious chopping, I fall back to my Victorinox 47521 10-Inch Chef's Knife, Black Fibrox Handle. I primarily use a pinch grip with this knife, because it's more comfortable and I'm not chopping anyway. I would still recommend the knife, but try and give it a feel before purchasing if you can!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, with great feel, January 29, 2008
Shawn Mccuaig (Arnprior, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I bought this knife because I owned an 8 in. Chef's knife by same Company (with same handle). I saw the Chef's knife recommended by America's Test Kitchen, as the fav. and for the price it was a great deal!! I therefore jumped at the chance to purchase the Santoku knife at less than 20 bucks. I was not disappointed, it was comfortable (I have big hands/knuckles)and I felt like I had more control with it. To chop herbs, veggies, etc. it is excellent, but the blade is a little too flexible for harder stuff. That is why if u buy both the Chef's knife and this Santoku knife, u can handle most things with great comfort and ease. And the best part of all is u can buy both without spending $100.

5.0 out of 5 stars Forschner Santoku, May 1, 2008
I did a lot of research before purchasing this Santoku. I am into cooking. I was prepared to buy one of the two hundred dollar plus hand forged Japanese Santoku's available from one of my specialty catalogs when I read in Cook's Illustrated that in their tests the Forschner Chef Knife had beaten out some of the most expensive chef knives available and had become a favorite of chefs in their test kitchen. I figured the construction and quality of the Forschner Santoku and the Forschner Chef Knife would be equivalent. I bought it from Amazon and have used it on numerous occasions and I love it. Well balanced, sturdy, yet light weight, it is incredibly sharp right out of the package and easy to maintain. The handle is very comfortable and grips well even when wet. What more could you ask for from a knife under $30?

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality for $$$, December 29, 2007
Outstanding quality, excellent value.

This design does in fact help food come off the knife, but not as much as I had hoped. Still, it does a good job and has a good "feel." I enjoy using it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive but a great knife, April 7, 2008
This is the 3rd R H Forschner knife with Fibrox Handle that I've purchased. The 3 combined cost less than 1 of my big name knifes. I prefer to use these, the plain handles give a good firm grip and the blades remain sharp longer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice knife for the price but doesn't function as Santoku, August 19, 2009
The purpose of this style of knife is to facilitate the falling away of sliced veggies etc. The scalloped sides should stop sliced material from adhering to the sides. The knife fails miserably in this regard. I believe the scallops are either not wide enough or not deep enough, perhaps both. Bottom line, a well built, comfortable knife to use but don't expect sliced material to fall away as with a real Santoku knife.

Victorinox Fibrox 7-Inch Granton Edge Santoku Knife