4.0 out of 5 stars Great knife.
Published on July 21, 2004 by Dustin Woehl

3.0 out of 5 stars Ended up returning this.
I bought this for my husband, and I ended up returning it. It was SO HEAVY that I knew he would not want to be carrying this around in his pocket! I am sure if he were to keep it in a tackle or tool box it would be fine, but I was looking for something for him to carry.
Published on December 4, 2011 by BuyerCannolli

4.0 out of 5 stars Great knife., July 21, 2004
Dustin Woehl (South Milwaukee, WI United States) - See all my reviews
I've purchased several Victorinox Swiss Army Knives and this one is by far my favorite. I've had it for over ten years and it is still going strong. My one complaint in general with buying pocket knives is that you always end up with at least one tool that you don't need and at least one tool that you wish you had. This knife has 3 tools in its back, 2 of which I never really use. One of those is the hook thing. I think you can use it to hook on to a piece of wire that is wrapped around something heavy then you use the rest of the knife as a handle. Haven't had the opportunity yet. The other is the sharp thing with the eyelet. Has something to do with being able to work with leather, I think. Haven't had the opportunity. The other tools all come in very handy although I wish the phillips screwdriver was more conveniently located. Use caution if you need to try to get much torque using the screwdrivers--because they don't lock, they can close on your fingers if you are not careful. And the tool I wish it had . . . the saw. One of my former swiss army knives had the saw blade, which worked incredibly well at cutting small pieces of wood and that sort of thing. In general, cannot complain at all about the quality of the knife; the blades open and close smoothly and the knife has served me well for a decade.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Swiss Army Knife, November 20, 2005
Arthur F. Shunk (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews
I have had a Super Tinker for 15 years or so and it is great. The scissers are far superior to those on Wenger knives(which work off the mainspring rather than a separate leaf spring) and are the tool I use most. I have only had to replace the spring once over the course of those years and much use. The spring is less than two bucks at a Remington store.

I also like this model because the corkscrew is replaced with a much more useful Phillips head screwdriver. The knife has a collection of useful tools and a reasonable weight. Some of the knives become too cumbersome when they have feature after feature.

My old Super Tinker does not have the carrying hook. The toothpick and tweezers are also long gone. I am buying a new, shiny one for myself and a couple for gifts since this price is about a third less than I paid all those years ago.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great everyday companion, January 15, 2010
Amazon Customer (Horseshoe Bay, TX USA) - See all my reviews
I have owned several Victorinox knives, and all have performed extremely well. In fact, I have never had one fail me. The supertinker is, in my opinion, the best knife for EDC because of the selection. You get a great amount of utility crammed into a very small package. This is a three layer knife, but it is still thin enough to carry in your front pocket. I carry mine everyday and hardly notice it.

The large blade: Great for general cutting tasks, comes scalpel sharp and stays that way for a reasonable amount of time.

Small blade: Same as large blade, except lighter duty tasks. I keep mine razor sharp and it usually opens envelopes and makes precision cuts.

Scissors: I have heard a lot of folks complain about the backspring on these, and let me say that I have a Vic knife that I got 17 years ago, and the scissor spring never broke. I lost it about 5 years ago, but it only costs about 2 bucks to order a pack of springs from Victorinox. The Wenger scissor spring wears out long before 17 years and is not replaceable. That said, these scissors do their job perfectly.

The cap lifter/flat blade screwdriver: Probably my favorite tool. Not only does it open bottles and turn screws(really tough ones that are frozen), it is the best prybar you can ask for. I have pried so many access panels open that it should have broken, yet their literally isn't even a scratch on it. A+ to Victorinox for their polish technique!

The can opener/small flatblade: The can opener is just that, a can opener, and it excells. The flat blade works well on eyeglasses.

The phillips head: I love this tool, though I pull out the Leatherman for most screws, but this one provides better grip for torquing tough screws.

The hook: I really don't use this much, but when I need to pick up something hot, it proves invaluable. It also works great for pulling wires and the like.

The reamer: I cannot describe how useful this tool is. I once disassembled my Xbox using only this tool and a screwdriver. It reams, punches, scrapes, cuts, pokes, prods, and anything else you need a sharp poking device for. It also works great as a fire starter coupled with a ferro rod.

The toothpick/tweezers: I actually use the toothpick for it's intended use, and it works great as long as you clean it. The tweezers are some of the best around. Very precise.

All in all, I highly recommend this knife to anyone. It doesn't matter if you plan to carry it in your pocket, bag, purse, keys, or if you plan to keep it in a drawer, you WILL find it useful and VERY reliable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't leave home without it!, April 30, 2004
C. CZARNECKI (Maumee, OH United States) - See all my reviews
I've had this knife for over a year, and I don't know what I did without it. I started carrying this with me everywhere I went, and it's helped me out more times than I can remember. I never realized just how helpful a Swiss Army knife could be until I got this. Need something cut here, need to loosen or tighten a screw there, tweeze a splinter out of my hand, you name it.
I've purchased one for my dad, and, although reluctant at first, he feels the same way I do now.
This is a definite no-brainer of a purchase, as far as I'm concerned. I'm only sorry that I can't give it more than 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars A trusted friend, November 28, 2009
J. Nolten (San Diego, Ca USA) - See all my reviews
I've carried the same super tinker with me for over 30 years now. My original Victorinox also had the saw which I didn't use much and made the knife too bulky. The super tinker is perfect because I consider the scissors essential and it is not too bulky for my pocket. I prefer the phillips to a cork screw because I don't drink wine and the occasional screw needs tightening. I've been looking for an old fashioned key opening sardine can to use the slot in the phillips but haven't found one yet. I'll be ready if I ever do! Seriously, I use this tool all the time and while I don't abuse it, it has obviously stood the test of time. REI carries replacement tooth picks, tweezers, and scissors' springs if you ever need them. Choose the blade combination that suites you and get a well made tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Swiss Army Knife, September 10, 2008
shancarrick (Syracuse, NY United States) - See all my reviews
Back in high school, I was gifted a Swiss Tinker Deluxe very much like this one. The only differences were that the old knife had a pair of pliers, and didn't have the hook. Tragically, I lost that knife.

Much to my relief, Victorinox still makes a few comparable models. I love my new Super Tinker even more than my original knife!

Here's how I use mine:

1.) Large-blade - Cut slices of fruit while I eat/general purpose.
2.) Small-blade - Opens letters
3.) Scissors - Cut paper, strings, and finger-nails (My favorite tool)
4.) Flat-head screwdriver/bottle-opener - Great for prying computer keys, and Sam Adams bottle-caps.
5.) Can-opener/mini-screwdriver - Open small cans of mandarin oranges
6.) Leather-punch/reamer - Add new holes to my belt. Takes seconds!
7.) Phillips-head screw-driver - Computer maintenance
8.) Hook - This tool is for carrying parcels wrapped with string, and for pulling tent stakes.
9.) Tweezers - Glass in the foot, slivers of wood in my hand.
10.) Tooth-pick - Don't use the tooth-pick.

I really can't recommend this knife (or many of Victorinox's other models) highly enough. If you know a young person who is just starting out, this is really a very special gift to get them up and on their way. It's a sturdy, reliable friend that they will treasure for decades.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful tool, December 31, 2005
I like this pocket knife because it is slim enough that I can attach my keys to it and it would not make my pocket bulky. It has all the essential tools that I need.

The only problem I have with this knife is the location of the phillips screwdriver. I find it very difficult to use a screwdriver like that, especially in my case where I have my keys attached to the knife.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Pocket Knife, July 2, 2008
D. Myers (Washington State, USA) - See all my reviews
I love this knife. It's very high quality and it has everything I need for 99% of my every day chores. It comes very sharp out of the box and it's easy to sharpen when it gets dull. Highly recommended for anybody who wants to carry a high quality, practical knife.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic!, July 15, 2007
Jo Gusto (Santa Cruz, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great, all-around handy pocket tool for anyone. I've had the same one for 32 years, and it still is going strong. Victorinox builds them good. :-) I gave one to my son on his 11th birthday and he is very proud of his, uses it all the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little thick, November 2, 2006
Like ALL Swiss Army knifes you can't go wrong with one.

This one has all the stuff I wanted on it BUT it is a little to thick.

I still love it tho, just wish it was a little thinner.

Great Knife.