Questions & Answers
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 28 questions
votes
Yes, I'd be happy to answer your question. I work for Victorinox Swiss Army. The second digit in an item # refers to the type of packaging on the knife. So the base number for the 8" Chef's Knife is 40520. This item number is usually on each knife regardless of the packaging. If there is a 7 as the second digit, then that means it comes in retail packaging or a plastic clam shell. If there is a 5 in the second digit, the knife will arrive in a brown corrugated box also known as "frustration free packaging". Cook's Illustrated purchased the clam shell packaged version of the knife, but it is the same as the 45520, just more difficult to open. I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Thanks for being our customer!
Oct 17, 2013 by Tracey
votes
Yes, its a good all-around knife, but it's a hard steel & you need a electric sharpener or be VERY GOOD at sharpening by hand.
Dec 2, 2013 by John Hutchison
votes
I would have bet it did, but there is no tang visible. I strongly suggest that you go Cooks Illustrated (on line) and search for reviews on chef's knives. They studied it for years and it is a very informative article.
Dec 30, 2013 by shamrockgal
votes
Yes, the blade is 8" long. Total length with blade + handle is about 12-13"
Apr 4, 2014 by M. Brandon Eley
votes
votes
i have a chicago knife and i would say it is probably the same thickness.
Oct 6, 2013 by bill
votes
how to sharpen Nov 26, 2013
I use an electric knife sharpener. Hand sharpening is recommended by purists, but a very hard skill to master.
Nov 26, 2013 by Frowman
votes
The Victorinox Swiss Army 8-Inch Chef Knife is clearly marke SWISS MADE on the blade. SWISS MADE means: 1)The Swiss portion of the production cost must be at least 50%. 2) The most important part of the manufacturing process must have taken place in Switzerland. The "most important part of the manufacturing process" is that part of the process that results in a completely new product. The determining factor here is that the original characteristics of the goods are lost through the manufacturing process, and the possible application of the goods is different from that of the basic materials of foreign origin used in their manufacture. In addition, the origin of goods is determined by the place where they are produced, not by where the idea for producing these goods was conceived. A product manufactured in Switzerland under a foreign license will still be Swiss in origin, while a product manufactured abroad using Swiss recipes or Swiss methods will still be foreign in origin. [The content on this page originates from Wikipedia and is licensed under the GNU Free Document License or the Creative Commons CC-BY-SA license.] Under this definition, the raw material (i.e., the unmanufactured steel) could be made outside of Switzerland but the manufacturing of the blade and the assembly of the knife ("The most important part of the manufacturing process...) must have taken place in Switzerland."
Dec 9, 2013 by Consultant
votes
The handle on this knife seems to be uniform on both sides and not molded for one hand preference over the other.
Feb 27, 2013 by Michael
votes
Anything sharp like this knife would suffice unless you went to an electric knife. I have seen some chefs use those for carving and for use on raw larger sides of meat for thin slicing with speed. This knife is plenty sharp but slow as it is a manual blade. Pick the right tool for the job.
Jun 9, 2014 by Samoa Tech
‹ Previous   1   2   3   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers