Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Women's Cyber Monday Deals Week Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer mithc mithc mithc  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage R6 Siege Outdoors Gift Guide on bgg

Package Type: Standard PackagingChange

on January 8, 2013
This is one of my favorite knives of all time. For someone who spends a lot of time outside in the woods, it's an ideal hiking/camping companion. The wood saw alone is well worth the price listed, as it comes out of the box sharper than most quality handsaws, which makes it ideal for cutting small firewood. Steel quality is good, meaning it's going to hold a good edge for long time and be easy to sharpen (Very little work made mine wood carving sharp. Out of the box it's plenty sharp for 99% of applications, woodcarving just calls for another level.) The knife is slightly bulky, but considering the features, it's actually thinner than I expected. It's a four layer SAK style knife; it's going to be thick enough for four 3/32" slots!

One of the ideal design pros is that the grips are not slick like older style SAK grips. This grip is textured, meaning the knife will still be serviceable even when the weather craps out. The textured grips however aren't so grippy that they shred your hands while using.

Pros; Many functions, well thought-out design, scissors big enough to actually use, and all made of materials that are good quality. Blades are hard to open, a sign that when most knives would be worn out, this one will just be getting loosened up. Easy to hold on to thanks to the grip texture. No part of the knife feels like a design/manufacturing compromise to make it cheaper. Also, quite a bit lighter than I expected, seeing the size of it. It's 3/4" wide, 3-1/8" long.

Cons; Blades are hard to open, not so much because the knife is stiff, but just because the blades don't protrude enough to get my thumbnail under the slot. I keep my nails short and this makes it much more troublesome. The keyring mount makes extensive use of the smaller drop point blade uncomfortable (this could be removed, as this knife is a little bit large to carry with your keys). The primary cutting blades aren't centered in the body, meaning that the knife will tend to rotate in the hand slightly. This is getting very nit-picky about it, looking for flaws. There's really not much to hate about this piece!

Admittedly, this isn't the top of the line knife. There's no ballpoint pen, USB flash drive, magnifying glass, ninja star, makeup kit, or bullwhip in it, but for those looking for a solid camping pal, this is a whole lot of knife for not too much money. It's worth every dime I paid, and for a cheapskate like me, that's a seal of approval!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 4, 2010
Anything "Victorinox" & made in Switzerland, is 5 STARS. Excellent quality. Excellent blades. I buy 10 (on sale) at a time, wrap them and give them out to friends/family, throughout the year. It's a really handy gift, and even the girls response is "excitement."
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2010
This is a very solid and well made knife. The blades are very sharp and everything works perfectly. It is a little on the stiff side and takes a bit of effort to open but I'm sure with a bit of use (or some powdered teflon) it will hit the sweet spot in no time.
on January 9, 2010
I've had essentially the same model for 30 years. My original is still as sturdy as when I got it. However, the blades were dull.
I bought this as a replacement, and it shows the same level of workmanships, a blades are razor sharp.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2011
I've had several Swiss Army knives over the years, both from Victorinox and Wenger, of varying degrees of usefulness. I like the Huntsman because it has the essentials and includes a corkscrew (how could anyone even consider a Swiss Army knife without a corkscrew....) and a useful small saw. I have given these to friends and to my children, and I carry it almost everywhere. I even lost one to the TSA when I forgot to take it out of my briefcase before a flight!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2013
This pocket knife and/or multi-tool is the beyond the standard of any competitor or rival. The features of this multi-tool are for everyday use and are practical. I haven't wasted most of the tools that came with it.

Originally I had a old Tinker model that comes with a large blade, small blade, can opener, bottle opener, corkscrew, and reamer, no toothpick or tweezers.

The large blade, I use for cutting open oranges, food prep, and openning letters, it does need to be cleaned with warm water and dried off quickly to avoid germs and rust. Smaller blade for more of precise cutting for smaller objects or chiseling, like cutting rosemary and oregano, chipping off some wood. The bottle opener for beer mostly, but the screwdriver does work very well for screws for my door nob and electrical outlet covers. I have yet to use the wire stripper that's part of the bottle opener, but it'll come in handy when I attempt to make a portable charger, to use the wire stripper, you have to use the large blade to clamp down on the wire cover to tear it open. Can opener, I use frequently to open my can of tuna for lunch, due to the fact that the one for the kitchen is always in the dishwasher, but after use, I just make a quick rinse of warm water and dry it off, it does take patience using it, but worth it if you run out of options. I have yet to use the small flat head screwdriver of the can opener. Scissors are always good to have when in the event of there's one being needed, good for opening up food packaging or when someone is doing simple arts and crafts, not for heavy use, I only recommend practice on paper and thin plastic wrapping, the spring can be damaged if used improperly. The feature that caught my attention is the wood saw, believe me, it works. Great for small pieces of wood, the teeth of the blade stay sharp after use, but you have to blow off the dust/wood debris to not get stuck in the knife. Corkscrew is something I have yet to use, and will probably RARELY use, but it adds an elegant appearance to the device. The parcel hook is something that gets heavily criticized, but I actually find great use for it, such as twisting metal rods (for securing) that are difficult to do by hand, and also carrying thin metal handles or wires that can cut through the hand or cause discomfort. The reamer is for punching holes, something to extract coconut milk out of a coconut, or making perfect holes in cardboard boxes. Toothpick for picking up small cheeses and meats. Tweezers for plucking out hair and getting rid of splinters.

I would mostly recommend this to people who practice wood work. Though there's a model that replaces the corkscrew with a Phillips screwdriver.
on September 12, 2012
I bought it as a gift for my brother who loved it. It is very helpful around the house as well as on the go. It is a perfect size, not so small that you are struggling to open the different implements and not so big that it feels bulky in your pocket. This is going in my gift list for guys.
on September 21, 2011
My mom was always saying do this, that or the other "just in case". Take a handkerchief, or always have a safety pin just in case. The many features of this knife is what makes it so valuable for "just in case" emergencies away from home. Yet is is so affordable. How did I live without it? The presence of the sissors and cork screw have saved the day more than once. Of course I keep it in my car along with the safety pins and wet wipes.
on May 2, 2015
It's so good and helpful. I love it so much. It has lots of tools. It's smaller than iPhone 5s.
review image review image review image
on September 2, 2013
Not five minutes after the mailman dropped this off, I accidentally sliced my thumb open while looking at all the different tools. The large knife is well honed, in case you're wondering. I love having this on me so I don't have to grab a real screw driver or whatever little tool I need out of the blue. Not too big, not too small, just enough options and you can't beat a lifetime warranty. I think everybody should have some kind of multitool they carry with them and this is a good one to get.