5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Leatherman
The American Leatherman was a great improvement over the Swiss Army knife, and now the Swiss have turned around and improved on the Leatherman, and it's cheaper too.
This tools has a better finish than the American, and all the blades are on the outside and all of them lock.
Published on May 6, 2000 by Paul Geffen

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing
I have owned a few swisstools and this was a bit of a disappointment. Half of the tools do not lock solidly in place with "up and down" play. The Sheath I received was defective. The button will not even close. I have written Victorinox to see if they will replace it. I assume they will.

Just as reference they have changed the swisstool slightly this...
Published 15 months ago by C

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Leatherman, May 6, 2000
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army SwissTool with Pouch (Sports)
Combine this with a Leatherman Micra and you have everything you need for light and heavy duty work, unless you are a plumber!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tool for the office or at home!, March 11, 2000
David Vine (San Diego, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army SwissTool with Pouch (Sports)
I purchased this GEM when it first came out and have never regretted it. My job requires me to do a variety of network installations from regular Phone lines to Ethernets. The wire cutter and strippers have proven invaluable. The Crosscut saw has proven a worthy drywall saw, and the chisel has proven more handy then I could ever imagined. But one of the most outstanding feature that sets this knife a step above the rest is the fact that each item securely locks into place (no more worries about knocking your knuckles). If you need a SOLID multi-tool that can help you at home or on the job, You Have Found IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly the Best - Better than Leatherman, December 27, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army SwissTool with Pouch (Sports)
The Leatherman Wave is a fine product but this one is even better and more versatile. The only thing this product doesn't have is scissors so I also carry the Leatherman Micra!

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, September 21, 2002
A. Alsherri "al" (University, MS United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army SwissTool with Pouch (Sports)
This is a high quality precise well made piece of art. Also the steel used in this tool is of high quality and not brittle like other tools. I gave this tool five stars. I give leatherman and gerber tools three stars each. If you don't believe me put this tool in one hand and any other tool you wish to compare in the other hand and compare. The only thing I like to have in this tool (new version) is a larger scissors. The one I have has small scissors. They are fine but a larger one will make them more practical.
UPDATE:
This review is for the new version tool (the one with scissors). I recently bought a Leatherman Wave tool...try to compare the two and give an honest opinion about the quality and the practicality of the two. The finish and the built quality of the Swiss tool is much better than the Leatherman. There is really a big difference here. The Vic. Swiss Army tool has a bigger and smoother pliers. The Leathermans Wave tool has too many small useless low quality bits without locking system. The Victorinox tool has an excellent smooth locking system that keeps the bit you use in place (think safety). The Swiss tool was designed to make it easy to open the bits you want to use. On the other hand, I have to figure out how to open the small bits in the Leathermans. You open one of the bits you don't want just to open the one you want hoping there is enough friction between the two bits (poor design).
The truth I returned the Leatherman Wave...because there is a big big difference between the two tools. The only good thing in the Leatherman is the metal file...The Swiss saw is an efficient fast great wood saw. Gerber new models may compete with Swiss Tools but The steel seems to be brittle and prone to breakage. I bought an extra (new version) Swiss Tool...The balistic pouch is of low quality...The tool is still high quality Swiss made. However, you can buy a high quality leather pouch from eknifeworks...The truth is that the Swiss Tool is the best tool I saw and used so far with a wide margin.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best tool I've seen out there, March 5, 2003
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army SwissTool with Pouch (Sports)
I am an Airline Mechanic so I have the opportunity to see and test out all kinds of tools. Quite a few guys have the leatherman wave, probably the next best multitool, but I have seen quite a few of them go sloppy after much use because the only thing keeping it folded up is friction. The Swisstool on the other hand, uses leaf springs and locking mechanisms so the durability is head and shoulders above the leatherman. Some complain about the size, but if your looking for a TOOL and not a stocking stuffer, you are going to want the Swisstool... It is just a plain better guality tool.

5.0 out of 5 stars An eye for detail, July 16, 2003
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army SwissTool with Pouch (Sports)
One of the two best multi-tools on the market today. (the other being the Leatherman SuperTool 200)
PROS:
1) Strong pliers with comfortable grip
2) All blades can open while pliers are closed and all blades lock
3) Useful Chisel blade
4) Anti-rust finish
5) Heavy Duty steel
CONS:
1) The file on the "X" model seems to be made of aluminum. After some use the "steel" plating chipped off. The Leatherman file is much tougher and can be used on wood or metal.
2) You might break your nails trying to open the blades.
*UPDATE*
>> I sold sold the "X" model and purchased the "RS" model thereby trading the cheap file for a curved serrated blade. I like this tool much better now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Most polished of the lot, August 9, 2004
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army SwissTool with Pouch (Sports)
I own several multitools, in different brands. All have their pluses and minuses, all have at least one "cool" factor, as well as one or more questionable design choices. But if I had to pick just one, it would be the SwissTool.

The SwissTool is not sexy, like Leatherman's "Wave" or their new "Charge" series. It doesn't have spring-loaded jaws that pop out at the touch of a button, like the Gerber "Recoil". And it doesn't have geared jaws like the SOG.

However, what the SwissTool is, is jaw-droppingly precise, gorgeous, and superbly executed. The stainless steel is polished, not matte or roughened. Each tool is easy to get out, slides out by itself (not in a clump), and has just the right amount of friction. The fingernail nicks are positioned very well, so that you don't need another tool just to open this one. Once the tool is out, it locks into place so firmly you can tell you'd break the tool before the lock itself would fail. And when you need to put the tool back, the unobtrusive spring-loaded release lets you fold the tool back with no effort.

While this page seems to list the basic SwissTool, when I ordered it, I received the RS model, which is the one I wanted anyway. The RS model does away with the metal file, metal saw, and serrated blade, and replaces it with scissors, and what Victorinox calls a "seatbelt cutter", which is a very sharp, curved serrated blade.

As I said, I collect multitools, and none comes close to the individual tool precision, polished fit-and-finish, and comfortable heft of the SwissTool. When you factor in the low price (compared to other tools at this quality level), getting the SwissTool is a no-brainer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Swiss Quality, November 18, 2000
keith adler (Fort Collins,CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army SwissTool with Pouch (Sports)
I purchesed my SwissTool about a year ago.The quality is excelent.All the Leatherman I have seen got loos shortly after they where perchesed, my SwissTool is still tight. I like the lock for all the tools and entry to all the tools from the outside with out haveing to open the tool is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars It may not look like much but it is., December 12, 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army SwissTool with Pouch (Sports)
Ok so you probably looked at 'The Wave' and you thought nice, well it certainly looks better but not much can be said for its durability. I have used both tools on a variety of projects and so far this one has held up better. This Swiss Tool has surprised me with its efficiency. Letherman have let me down although they are fully capable of making something even better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, January 27, 2004
Jan Husdal (Molde, Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army SwissTool with Pouch (Sports)
When I decided to buy a multi-tool last fall I did a thourough research on the Internet, reading up on what others said, then I went to the store to touch and feel the tools to really sense the difference, and I must agree: This is the best. My first choice, if I hadn't done my homework, would have been Leatherman, mainly because of brand recognition. I never regretted that I bought the Swiss Tool instead. Why?
1. The best feature are the spring locks that lock each blade and tool securely. NO fumbling and accidental slips.
2. The knife blades are razor sharp, even after long use, so is the saw.
3.The size is comfortable, and you grip it very easily.
P.S. I suggest you to get hold of the version with scissors. They may look small, but they're not wobbly at all.

Victorinox Swiss Army SwissTool with Pouch