5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tool
Published on July 27, 2006 by Yasunori-San

3.0 out of 5 stars old packaging
I wonder if I got a used knife. The box looked old, was open, lying inside the packaging with my other purchases (leather case of my kindle paperwhite., the box itself has been banged up, cannot be closed because the label over the cover is broken and missing a flap so the unwrapped knife was lying free inside the main envelope. I wanted a brand new knife- it was priced...
Published 15 months ago by Dr. Victoria G. Navarra

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Tool, July 27, 2006
Yasunori-San "Isbjørnen" (63 degrees N Latitude (really)) - See all my reviews
I'm glad to finally have the opportunity to praise the Swiss Champ multi-tool knife in a public forum. It seems like mine has served me reliably for almost 2 decades, mine has literally been around the world with me, and I usually have some use for it almost daily. The tools, for the most part, are practical and functional, though they are nicely compacted into a 3 1/2" package. I do have some "wishes" for improvements, but overall, I just love my Swiss Champ and can overlook the minor faults (I'll mention some later).

The most frequently used tools for me are the SCISSORS (great for anything from paper to personal grooming), the TWEEZERS, and the LARGE SCREWDRIVER/bottle opener (mostly for prying). The small set of PLIERS/wire cutters would seem to be of limited use, but they are made with such precise tolerances that they make excellent, hardy tweezers also. They are handy for gripping small things, bending metal with leverage, holding objects close to a flame, and untying those impossible little knots. One of the best functioning tools IMO is the little SAW! It seems to have a very aggressive and sharp tooth pattern, and will rapidly saw through wood and tree branches better than some full-size hand saws. The LARGE CLIP POINT KNIFE BLADE and the SMALL CLIP POINT KNIFE BLADE come with a scalpel-sharp factory sharpening (I'm not kidding... be very careful). Not enough space here to list all the uses that I've put the blades through over the years, but suffice it to say, it's a good, sharp, cutting instrument. I've never used the FISH SCALER for fish, but it also has a handy metric/english RULER on it, and, I have used the little HOOK DISGORGER prongs on the end as a sort of 2 tined fork! The little MAGNIFYING GLASS is really quite powerful (and replaces my separate field lenses), and on one occasion, I used it to start a fire when I had no matches. The MINI PEN comes in handy occasionally when you have no writing instrument available (and it works decently). Pen refills are inexpensive. Both the LEATHER AWL and the METAL SAW/FILE are useful for crafting and fabrication. When used in a twisting motion, the LEATHER AWL works very effectively in shaving out a perfectly round hole through leather. I have made and repaired clothes, shelter, and other tools with it. The CORKSCREW comes in handy (and works well) when needed, but more importantly, it stores the little MICRO-SCREWDRIVER in it's spiral whorls. There is a small STRAIGHT PIN hidden in the scales behind the corkscrew BTW, useful for splinter removal, magnetized to make a float compass, or in a pinch, to be bent into a fish hook. I use the MICRO-SCREWDRIVER on eyeglasses and small electronic devices, like watches. The CAN OPENER is functional, but you'll get tired of the repetitive motion required to open just one can. But when you're hungry, who cares. Right? I rarely use the PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER or the plastic TOOTHPICK. I have never used the strange looking HOOK thingy(which I'm told is used to carry packages tied with string in Europe), nor the mini-CHISEL, but I know they are there!

If I had to mention the few minor shortcomings of the Swiss Champ, it would be, ironically, with the knife blades. I would merely wish that the MAIN BLADE was locking, a feature that Wenger incorporates, but not Victorinox. Also, the blades are just a tad bit tricky to deploy if you have big fingers or if you just trimmed your fingernails, so I wish it had a raised thumb knob or hole to ease opening. Finally, I thought that having the two clip point blades is redundant. I would wish that one of the blades (perhaps the large one) could be replaced with a blunt, serrated or semi-serrated sheep's foot blade (practical for quick rope cutting or rescue applications). I wish the LARGE SCREWDRIVER/bottle opener was locking also (as it tends to close on you when you are applying pressure to a screw or abusing it to pry something). Though it is not a criticism of the Swiss Champ, Victorinox has made even higher model upgrade Swiss knives (loaded with even more tools!) but I don't think they were vast practical improvements over the Swiss Champ. For example, on some newer models, the interchangeable screwdriver bits are neat, usually require separate carrying of the spare tips. Most of newest improvements involve modifications to the exterior scales (like adding a watch, a compass, USB flash drive, or an LED light). I personally don't like to rely solely on electronic devices that use expendable batteries, nor mix them with my hand tools (due to the ruggedness I require of tools, and chance of breakage for the electronics). And note: a compass does NOT function reliably in proximity to ferrous metal (like a Swiss Army Knife). My final wish is that the plain smooth scales be modified as a practical grip/resource also. My suggestions: 1) make the scales out of hardened checkered rubber for better grip, or some grippy knurled plastic. 2) emboss, engrave or cast some brief practical information on the scales, like the International Morse Alphabet 3) utilize the unused portions of the scales to store more items like small flints, a small magnet, an eyed sewing needle, or a small heliograph (like the one in the Swiss Champ SOS Kit).

I think that whether you are anything from an urban traveler to an outdoor survivalist, you will find that the Swiss Champ will serve you well for decades. There are a couple of multi-tools out there that I might recommend for some enhanced, higher-tech, tool qualities, but the Swiss Champ remains a durable, compact and useful workhorse. It remains one of my most valued possessions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be without one!, December 9, 2005
Bruce Q. (Chicago suburbs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army SwissChamp Pocket Knife (Sports)
The Swisschamp knife is an absolute must! I don't know what I would do without them. I have several left after giving many for Christmas gifts some years ago. I'm serious, I wouldn't be without one, I keep one in the glove compartment and one in a drawer inside the house - a must when traveling.
They're indestructible and really quite beautiful. The stainless steel really performs well (2 I've had for over 20 years, use nearly everyday, and they look practically brand new!
(I think I like the black better than the red.)
Seriously, trust me, get one!
Very important accessory to get is the leather pouch (the type w/sharping steel includ., belt loop etc., only about $11-14), they come sized per the knife model - medium, large, etc., one for this knife is the XL size.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best pocket knife money can buy., June 23, 2003
Melvin Al Farris (Davenport, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I have owned my Swiss Champ for more than two years. I wanted a POCKET knife that had many tools without having to go to a multi-tool that you had to put in a case and hook to your belt.
The Swiss Champ fit the bill perfectly. I carry it in my pocket everywhere I go.
The knife is built much stronger than I ever imagined. I have used the screwdrivers with screws that I felt would break the knife without even chipping a blade. I have put a tremendous amount of torque on the blades without a hitch. I love the tuck away tweesers. They have pulled many splinters from hands and fingers.
The scissors are very sharp,....though small. (I have used for personal grooming.) The pliers are strong,....but rather small. The file works well for small items. The saw blade is very, very sharp and I have actually used it in a jam to cut through a 1" X 2" board.
This is the best POCKET knife I have ever bought. I like it so much that I recently bought another and put it in my closet. (Just to have it on hand if I should ever lose this one.)
The original still looks and works like new. All the blades are still very sharp.
If you are looking for something that will actually fit in your pocket,.....this is the knife to own.

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars from a GIRL!, September 22, 2005
Ok, I know what you're thinking. I'm a girl with a large pocketknife...hmmm. But honestly, I love this thing. Now, I don't use it to saw wood or cut wire fences, but this is very useful for me to have. I don't use this as a "pocket" knife....more or less, it's a "purse" knife. It has gotten me out of quite a few jams in the year that I've owned it. It is always with me, and I'm thinking about buying another one to keep in my car for when I forget it. You never know when you may need this handy tool. It has everything you could possibly need, maybe a little more than I would need, but still, I love it. I also don't have many tools in my home, so when there's a small need for a screwdriver or a small pair of pliers, I just go to my swiss army knife, and it does the job.

Guys, get your girls one - to keep in their cars. They may laugh and think you're crazy for buying them a pocketknife, but what are they going to do if they are in a bind and you're not around with your knife?

4.0 out of 5 stars Get the one without a fish scaler., January 24, 2003
G. Powell (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This knife has it all. Well at least one to many things. I.e. fish scaler. Skip this version and get the one without it. When scaling a fish the scales get into the knife and are hard to clean out. Also the plastic lens of the magnifier will scratch over time. The pliers are a bit on the light duty side but handy. On the other hand, having a hole in the leather awl is great as you can actually sew something! The eye glass screw driver works great. The file has teeth on the edge and will cut glass bottles or aluminum. The sizzors are the standard by which all other tool knife sizzors are judged.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Swiss Army quality, September 21, 2001
By A Customer
This tool has it all; a ball point pen, a sharp saw, magnifying glass, scissors, pliers, and even a knife! Classic Swiss Army quality and excellent fit and finish. It's a little heavy in my pocket, but no more than other similar tools. So far I've put mine in my pocket every day, and it's not too bad, although that and a big key ring would be too much.
The pliers are precise enough to pull out splinters, which is a good thing since the tweezers are useless. The magnifying lense appears to be glass, and the metal used is first rate. There aren't any parts of this thing that will corrode, and durability is excellent.
If I had to choose between this tool and something like a Leatherman tool, it might be pretty close, depending on whether you needed the long nose pliers of the leatherman more often, or a good knife. I haven't owned the Leatherman, so I can't vouch of the quality of that tool, but this one is very nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best pocket knives, May 26, 2002
It never fails to amaze me how much I use this product. It has so many useful functions that it is one of our families most used utensils. I purchased mine in Switzerland, the home of Victorinox, some years ago, and it still performs 100% today. The knives are always sharp. The scissors cut through anything within reason and I have used most every other function at some stage or another. This is a quality product which is reflected in the fact the manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty. Highly recommended and expect to get a lifetime of use.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing to put in yor pocket., February 8, 2003
Dave Morgan (Wilkes Barre, Pa. United States) - See all my reviews
The swiss champ is the handiest thing you can own.Once you buy it your life will become easier.I use mine daily. The Swiss have a well earned reputation for building the finest watches in the world and Victorinox builds the best swiss army knife in the world.The build quality of these knives is jewel like,everything fits and works perfectly.I much prefer the swiss champ over any of the multi-tools. The multi tools are all too heavy to carry in a pocket and I don't like wearing a belt, plus I keep pliers in my tool box anyway.The swiss champ is a world recognized tool and has proven itself everywhere.It only has one drawback. When you use it everybody wants to hold it ,check it out and marvel over it. Buy one now and tell your friends to get their own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly useful!, February 24, 2003
My wife made fun of me when I bought mine at the base exchange on Guam. You know, comments about boys and their "silly" toys. Within the first week it had "saved the day" 8 or 10 times. But the real test was when we were at the beach one day. On a lark I grabbed a coconut and husked it in about 15 minutes with nothing but my knife. She finally had to agree that it was a very handy knife as we sat munching on fresh coconut! In fact, from then on when we went to the beach she would make sure I had my knife with me so she could have some coconut. Forget American Express, don't leave home without this knife in your pocket! I am seriously considering buying a second one just to leave in my survival kit. (And Amazon[.com] has the lowest price I have ever seen on this knife by far!!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Victorinox Swiss Champ, January 30, 2010
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army SwissChamp Pocket Knife (Sports)
The Swiss Champ is one of the most-used tools I have ever had and used throughout my long years as a "tool guy". I have continuously carried one for over 35 years, and whenever one needed repairs, I sent it in to be renewed and simply bought another one to use in the meantime. I love the many, many functions of this tool and never considered the Swiss Champ "over the top" in having too many functions; I use all of them all of the time. My one complaint with these great tools is that the steel is a bit soft and won't hold an edge for very long. The blades also distort and bend far easier than I would prefer, but then, they also never rust or have sharpening problems either. I could not praise these nice multi tools highly enough. They have proved to be invaluable thousands of times for a life long tool guy like myself, and oh yes, I am a career cabinetmaker and woodworker, which probably explains my love for this great knife.

Victorinox Swiss Army Swiss Champ Pocket Knife (Black)
$99.00 $71.70