Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Victorinox Swiss Army Champion Plus Pocket Knife
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Color: Red|Change

on December 27, 2007
The Victorinox Swiss Champ Plus is a very well designed multi-tool. The more you carry it, the more it will endear itself to you by proving it's worth in the field as well as in the workplace or at home. At first glance some of the tools may seem superfluous, but in the long run you may very well use some of these tools even though you originally never imagined yourself being in a position that requires them. Fit and finish are first rate, as is always the case with Victorinox products. It amazes me that Victorinox is able to offer this tool at such a fantastic price while still manufacturing in Switzerland.

This tool is basically the same as the Victorinox Swiss Champ, minus the pliers. Losing the pliers gives you a tool with a considerably smaller profile which is therefore more pocketable, and as such I consider this more of a trade-off then a negative. If you plan to carry in a toolbox or glove compartment, you might very well choose the regular 'Victorinox Champ', while the 'Champ Plus' will be better suited to people who prefer to carry a tool on their person at all times.

Speaking of weight and size, this is at the very limit of what I would consider pocketable. It *will* fit in your pocket, but the weight may bother you depending on the type of slacks you wear. For dressy trousers in particular there may be some concern, less so with jeans or more casual trousers such as Dockers. A belt sheath is another method of carry that can alleviate concerns of the tool feeling too heavy in your pocket, but of course the trade off is a belt sheath is a bit of an eye sore in business or dress environments. Overall the size and weight is still smaller then a Leatherman Wave or other similar plier based multi-tools, so it is definitely small enough to carry on you if you are so inclined to do so.

Recommended Highly:
Every guy should have one of these on his person or close by, and you *will* be the hero and 'save the day' numerous times in your life as the months and years roll by. Take it with you to work, take it with you on dates, take it camping, take it everywhere you go (except the airport, unfortunately). Ounce for ounce, the Victorinox Champ Plus packs a huge punch. The Victorinox Champ Plus may very well become your best friend. Just give it a chance and carry it on you for 30 days, and you might wonder how you ever got along without one.

Pros:
-Value for the money
-Fit and Finish
-Encourages ingenuity and problem solving
-Useful and numerous assortment of tools in a small package
-Workplace/people friendly (not as likely anyone will accuse you of carrying a weapon versus a dedicated knife)
-Lifetime Warranty

Cons
-Size and weight are at the upper limit of what I consider comfortable 'pocket size'
-No one hand opening or locking blades
-No included belt sheath for those who prefer that over keychain or pocket carry

*Other multi-tool and Swiss Army Knife recommendations that you should consider:
Victorinox Farmer (if you prefer a more spartan approach)
Victonrinox Executive (very slim and lightweight)
Victorinox Explorer plus (good compromise between size and versatility)
Victorinox Compact plus (one layer smaller then the Explorer, but with similar tool selection)
Victornix Manager (for keychain carry)
Leatherman Charge TTi (if you need pliers, one hand opening and/or locking blades)
99 comments|226 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2005
I really like all the features of this Swiss Army Knife. It was affordable and really has a lot of useful tools. Some tools not mentioned above packed into this knife include:

Needle (near the corkscrew)
Micro Small Screwdriver within the corkscrew
metal saw
wood saw

These things come in really handy in the tackle box or glove compartment in the car. They also really work well hiking/backpacking/camping or unpacking or whenever a quicktool is needed.

A great knife at a great value with a great warranty.
11 comment|136 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 7, 2005
I like this particular Swiss army knife because it has a bit more than the standard knife. As a botanist and biology teacher, the hand lens has been used many a time to examine detail on a moss or beetle. The saw is great for camping, as well as collecting specimens. Additionally, you have all the basic handy gadgets you need on a knife: screwdrivers, scissors, nail file, tweezers, etc, as well as your basic, essential knife blade. I've had one of these for over 25 years, and have used it on five continents and for a hundred picnics. My only complaint is that as a lefty, food/muck can get lodged in the grooves of the handle when you use the blade (e.g. cheese, bread crumbs, etc). I use the toothpick to clean it up, but a hassle nonetheless.
33 comments|90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have a thing for the real Swiss army knives and decent multi-tools, and this Victorinox Swiss Army Champion Plus Pocket Knife is the one that sits in my camera bag, ready to go at all times. It's perhaps one of the best all-around tools that a pro or amateur photographer could look for as far as versatility goes.

There have been many times that this well-designed tool has come in handy in the field, and on a number of occasions it's been the one single item that has made the difference in a good day when shooting photos in the woods or wilderness. This knife isn't overly large, and even though it has a number of tools, it's quite manageable. The design has been proven over the years, and it's quite well thought out. Every single tool here has proven to be usable and easy to access once it has been used for awhile.

I'm not going to go through all of the tools that this handy Champion Plus Pocket Knife has, but read the specs and use your imagination. The large and small blades do just what is expected. The ruler is marked in inches & centimeters, and is located on the fish scaler/hook disgorger tool. There's a small multipurpose hook tool on the reverse of the knife that's quite handy for carrying heavy plastic grocery bags (twist and loop them), keeping them from cutting into your fingers. Works fine with clothes on a hanger as well.

[Note: see the photo with notes that I've posted here for a graphic breakdown of these tools and blades.]

Not well noted is the fact that it comes with a handy small micro screwdriver that's stowed within the corkscrew, so don't lose it. The tweezers are quite handy (for removing splinters or holding small parts) and these, along with the toothpick and ball point pen refill, can be picked up as spare parts from Victorinox if and when needed.

Some might prefer the Victorinox Swiss Army Swiss Champ Pocket Knife because it has pliers, but I prefer the larger needlenose pliers in a regular multi-tool such as the lightweight Leatherman Kick Pocket Multi-Tool or the Gerber Suspension Butterfly Opening Multi-Plier for really getting the job done. If either of those seem too large, there's always the super compact Gerber Clutch Mini Pliers Tool, which can be carried in a pocket at all times.

Pros:

- Excellent value for the money
- Made from high quality Swiss stainless steel
- Excellent assortment of tools, all in one small package
- Has a lifetime Warranty

Cons:

- Blades don't lock, so be careful!

It should be noted again that all of the blades and tools are crafted from stainless steel, and it's still made entirely in Switzerland... and it has a lifetime warranty from a company that know how to back it up.

Tip: if you get one of these, spend about fifteen minutes familiarizing yourself with it, opening and closing all of the tools, and "exercising" them. Gently spray some WD-40 with the red nozzle tip into each of the joints so that they'll move freely in the field when you need them. Doing this will make it pay off with years of service for you.

This Victorinox Swiss Army Champion Plus lives up to its name. It's a great tool, an excellent value, and a splendid gift for just about anyone.
review image
on September 2, 2005
Swiss Army Champion Plus which is not as good as the plain Swiss Army Swiss Champ Pocket Knife but is priced at $17 less. I had previously purchased the Swiss Army Champion Pocket Knife which has a pair of minipliers that work as well as the usual hemostats for fishing. That is the only difference that I can see between the two models. Given that gold handled hemostats are available for under $5 at most fishing stores that would make this the better buy but this is not the top of the line that the name implies. So 4 stars for this Swiss Army Swiss Champ Plus and 5 stars for the Swiss Army Swiss Champ Pocket Knife.

I always wondered what the hook thing is for on the other side of the knife from most of the other blades. After a little research I found it is for carrying stringed packages or grocery bags and really converts the knife into a comfortable carrying handle instead of having it feel like you're losing a finger at a knuckle.
1010 comments|164 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2005
Get this Knife! The Only difference is the lack of pliers. What good are pliers that size anyway?
on December 15, 2007
This is the second Victorinox Swiss Army Champion Plus that I have owned over a period of some 40 years. The only negative thing I can say about it is that it has "legs", it will "walk away' unless guarded jealously, which is what happened to my previous purchase. There are so many special purpose tools included in this tiny but high-quality package, I never thought that I would find a use for some of them. But living with it in my pocket, I thought of it whenever an unusual task presented itself, and by this time I have tested all of its features "on the job". Every tool performs as advertised! Well worth the price!
on November 9, 2007
My teenager has been asking for one of these knives since watching my Macgyver DVDs. He thinks he will be able to escape any situation with this knife and I think he just might be right.

It is the highest quality knife of this type on the market, I have a knockoff I bought on EBay where the screwdriver bent on first use. This one will not.

I got this for under $30.00 on Amazon's deal of the day a while back and consider it my buy of the year.

You will not be disappointed even if you pay full price.
I have an appreciation for the real Swiss Army knives and decent multi-tools, and the Victorinox Swiss Army Champion Plus is the one that sits in my camera bag, ready to go at all times. Measuring just 3-1/2-inches long, it's perhaps one of the best all-around tools that a pro or amateur photographer could look for as far as versatility goes.

The Swiss Army Champion Plus has the following tools:

* Large and small blades
* Large and small screwdriver
* Phillips screwdriver
* Metal file, metal saw
* Corkscrew, can opener, bottle opener
* Reamer, punch
* Magnifying glass
* Pressurized ball point pen
* Mini screwdriver, sewing eye
* Key ring, tweezers, toothpick

The large and small blades do just what is expected. The ruler is marked in inches & centimeters, and is located on the fish scaler/hook disgorger tool. There's a small multipurpose hook tool on the reverse of the knife that's quite handy for carrying heavy plastic grocery bags (twist and loop them), keeping them from cutting into your fingers. It works well with clothes on a hanger, too.

Some might prefer the Victorinox Swiss Army Swiss Champ Pocket Knife because it has pliers, but I prefer the larger needlenose pliers in a regular multi-tool such as the Gerber Suspension Multi-Plier or the lightweight Leatherman Kick Pocket Multi-Tool for really getting the job done in fairly tight places. If either of those seem too large, there's always the super compact Gerber Clutch Mini Pliers Tool, which can be carried in a pocket at all times.

As a note of caution when using the Swiss Army Champion Plus (and some other models), the blades don't lock, so you need to be careful when using it. The larger-sized Victorinox Swiss Army One Hand Trekker, which is 4-3/8 inches long, has a large serrated locking blade along with a locking screwdriver. This model is not really pocket sized, and has a more limited choice of tools, so the Champion Plus might be a better choice for carrying on a daily basis.

Pros:

- Excellent value for the money
- Made from high quality Swiss stainless steel
- Excellent assortment of tools, all in one small package
- Has a lifetime Warranty

Cons:

- The blades don't lock, so be careful!

This Swiss Army Champion Plus Pocket Knife from Victorinox lives up to its name. It's a great tool, an excellent value, and makes a splendid gift for just about anyone.
review image
55 comments|19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2008
[Update: since this initial writing, I did go back and purchase another as a gift for one of my sons. I'm not sure which of us likes this knife more.]

Let me start by admitting that I purchased this one on a whim. I found it as a Gold Box deal for under $20. I couldn't pass it up and thought I would use it as a gift for one of my elder sons. After it arrived and I took some time to look it over, it found its way to my pocket where you can find it most days.

Others have written comparisons to other models, and have highlighted specific tools. I'll try to add a few things that helped make this one of my favorite knives.

- Right off the bat, there's no beating the style of can-opener that you'll find on this and every other Victorinox Swiss Army Knife. I've used both types (on Wegner and Victorinox models) and this one wins, hands down.

- I wear eyeglasses, and the mini screwdriver that is nested in the corkscrew is perfect for tightening up the screws on my glasses. You can either use it separately, in your fingers, or you can flip it over and thread the blunt (handle) end back into the corkscrew, allowing you to use the full knife as a handle. That simply makes it easier to use.

- I don't use the hook for carrying tied packages, but find it invaluable for removing hot pots from over a fire. No more burnt fingers from the water pot for me!

- I like having both the larger and smaller cutting blades, especially for whittling.

- The scissors are larger than those on the Classic (I have one on my key ring), so I find them easier to use, especially for cutting fabric or larger sections of paper (like coupons from the in-store flier).

- The number of screwdriver tips makes this knife a wonderful tool to have on-hand for quick tinkering. The phillips head is suprisingly versatile. I was able to use it on extremely small wood screws, and it works very well on computer case and mounting screws (I'm a techie by trade, and love having this one with me at the office).

- The one feature I thought I would never use, the ballpoint pen, actually came in quite useful a few days after pocketing this knife. I was at a product launch meeting and I didn't have a pen (I had counted on the vendor giving away logo pens, but they ran out). The pen nests into the same groove as the hook (albeit at the opposite end), making for a suprisingly comfortable and easy-to-use writing instrument.

- Finally, since I've been wilderness camping for more than 25 years, I like having the magnifying glass as a good weather fire-starter.

This is the knife that sits in my pocket most days of the week. I also take it on all of my weekend camping trips and hikes. I do like some other knives for other occasions (I prefer, for example, my Centurian {also by Victorinox} when I'm canoeing in the BWCA since I can use the longer {4"} blade to fillet fish and since I like the thinner profile stuffed into my pocket while sitting in the canoe). This is a fantastic, all-around knife. You can't go wrong for the price (even if $60). It's well-worth it and bound to become a favorite.