Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on December 4, 2006
When I first saw this I wasn't too keen on it.
I wondered who would want such a little pocket knife when they could get the bigger ones.
I showed it to my wife who suggested we buy it as a gift for our fourteen year old granddaughter. I was hesitant about doing that but then, as chance would have it, when I showed her my new Victorinox Swiss Tool Set, she mentioned that she had previously owned a black Swiss Army Classic Pocket Knife. I asked her if she had liked it and she said "Yes, I used it a lot but somehow I either let someone borrow it or lost it. She said she used the nail file, scissors, tweezers and even the toothpick! Of course, after that it was a no brainer to order it in her favorite color, amethyst, a fancy name for purple.
When it came my wife thought it would make a good stocking stuffer or, depending on the amount limit, a great Secret Santa gift. She then made the comment, "What a great little item! You know I wouldn't mind one myself". Hmm, unless I am mistaken, I do believe that was a hint!
UPDATE ~ December 26, 2006: Happily received as Christmas gifts by both 'Misses'! ~ The Boss
on June 28, 2011
Victorinox products are very often made well and well designed for thier task at hand. In this case an inexpensive little tool box. Small enough to fit on a key chain as my daughter has found. File, sissors, tweezers, and blade will likley get use almost anywhere, because it's there.
VINE VOICEon February 29, 2008
I have had one of these on my key chain for over 15 years now; it's only been replaced 3 times and I use it almost daily. It comes with a removable plastic toothpick and tweezers. I love having a toothpick handy after eating out somewhere and the tweezers work very well. The tweezers do not have the strongest grip because they are very thin and therefore a bit flexible, but I have never had them fail to work and they have very sharp edges for getting out the finest hair and/or splinter.

The knife and fingernail file/screwdriver are obviously useful in many instances; the only problem I've ever had is that if you are trying to remove/loosen a very tight screw it might close on you if you press too hard. The implements do not 'lock' into place, so you have to use some caution.

The scissors were originally my primary reason for purchasing these and are fine enough to help trim your cuticles and strong enough for smaller cuts. They are definitely not super strong but definitely cut paper and thin plastic easily.

Overall, these are a terrific gift for just about anyone and a great purchase for yourself. I've seen them in the store for upwards of $14 but you can get these for less frequently on sale at Amazon.
on January 15, 2007
This is a great little knife for your key chain. It have the most used items in the knife barrel. Great for anyone who wants to carry a light knife with tools around with you always.
on November 2, 2010
I've been carrying one on my key ring for years. Unfortunately, this handy little knife has an inexplicable design error: the attachment ring is at the "wrong" end. When the blade is open, my key ring attachment is in the middle of the opened knife, rather than at the end. This is not a problem with the scissors because they open out from the other end. However, since I use the blade about 99% of the time and the scissors about 1% of the time, the awkward placement of the ring is annoying in normal use. The other problem with this placement of the attachment ring is that the toothpick and the tweezers are more likely to slip out and get lost because they are hanging on the "down" side (mine disappeared long ago). If you look at many of the other Swiss Army brand knives that have an attachment ring, the connection point is in the "correct" place for easy use of the main blade. I still wouldn't part with mine, but I'm not happy that the design fights with the use of the tool.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 28, 2011
When I was eight years old my dad bought me one of these knives. Now I'm 18 and have been using this knife for the past 10 years, and I'm happy to say that it has provided endless aid for me over this past decade. The blade is sharp enough to cut through standard rope and I use it to open packages and mail. The mechanism on all the tools still work flawlessly. The tweezers are really handy for random computer work or pulling out splinters. I never really used the nailfile but the screwdriver tip is excellent and a pretty standard size that will do the job for most screws. The scissors are very handy for cutting plastic boxes etc. The best thing about this knife is that it's the perfect size for a keychain and is always on hand. I bought the ruby red one and now I'm retiring it as I've put it through heavy use and lost the tweezers not too long ago. The blade is still in fine condition and so are all the other tools but the casing has taken some wear. I've decided to go with the sapphire blue this time and I know I won't be disappointed.
on August 8, 2007
I bought this knife for the legendary Swiss Army knife quality and the utility it offers on keychain. While the quality of all the tools is excellent, the placement of the keyring results in your key tangling in the middle, rather than the end of the knife when the blade is opened.

Having tired of trying to grip my keys when trying to use the knife, (and having the knife confiscated at the airport when I forgot to remove it...) I'll likely try the Leatherman Squirt S4 next time.
on May 4, 2008
I have several and continue to look for other colors. I carry one for a while and put it away, get another out and change from time to time. My favorite little pocket knife every. Discovered them quite by accident and now seem like a collector of every color and design.
on April 12, 2008
this little knife is a great basic one the price is about half price with free shipping. my daughter has hers and she also loves hers!and it is an very good brand, lifetime!
on August 25, 2008
not much to say, a SAK is one of those things that one should not fail to have, i bought this for mi wife's keychain. The translucent amethyst color looks really cool.