5.0 out of 5 stars Just the Basics
I had to order this to replace the identical knife that I have owned for 7 years: airport security had to confiscate and destroy it when I accidentally left it in my laptop bag.

The Climber II knife is the knife I carry with me every day: even in the office, it always comes in handy. The can opener has a knack for staying sharp, the scissors often trim stray...
Published on August 3, 2009 by Winter

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Like the Matte Finish
I didn't expect the matte finish to make it feel like a deep difference in quality but it does make the knife feel cheaper than my old one. The color doesn't glisten and the edges are see-through.
Also missing the Philips head screwdriver more than I thought.
It's good for the money but if it weren't so cheap I would return it. I live with my Swiss Army knife in...
Published on January 22, 2011 by La Milanese

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Love my new knife, August 9, 2013
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army Climber II Pocket Knife (Sports)
I had to throw my old swiss army knife in the trash when the security guard searched me getting into a concert. Yes, you have to empty your pockets and they pat you down just to get into a concert now. Anyway when I emptied my pockets, the guards got uptight when they saw I had a "weapon". It went in the trash, and I went into the concert. I bought this one to replace my old beloved knife and I love this one even more. Nice big scissors and a corkscrew too. Wife, house, pickup, dogs, pocket knife. It is my 5th favorite thing in life. No make that 6th. I forgot about the kids. Better make them #2. Whoops.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another tale of two knives, July 6, 2012
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army Climber II Pocket Knife (Sports)
There are several reasons why I always go for the Swiss Army knife these days, and it has been my standard for about 50 years, with one hiatus when I got a two blade Buck knife, famous for their ability to hold an edge. I lost the Buck, probably because it lost its alure when the tip of the high carbon (brittle) steel blade broke off.

My first Swiss Army knife was bought in Switzerland. Got a matching one for my father. I still have it, but it succumbed to some of the ills I will note below. Just before my latest, I had a "Tinker" model, distinguished by its having a Phillips Head Screw Driver blade, but lacking a corkscrew. I believe I had that one for about four years, when it started showing the expected fault of a device which does so many things. The catch which locked the main blade in place began to loosen up, so that I could no longer trust it to stay open under a bit of strain. Upon retiring it, I also checked the scissors, and discovered it had lost its zing as well. It no longer opened when you closed it with the handles. Since there are no finger holes, the spring is essential. This, it seems may be a problem with most Victorinox Swiss Army knives. But I stayed with this brand for one crucial reason. It is one of the few which includes a key chain loop. I looked at Buck and Gerber and Smith and Wesson. Several looked like they were standard gear for the Special Forces, but no key ring loops. So, I stay with good old Swiss, but I never used the Phillips head blade, and I often wished I had the corkscrew. So, I went with the Climber II, which had the corkscrew, and it also had an improved spring on the scissors. My "Tinker" will not be discarded. It will become the fixture on the living room table for opening mail... and packages from Amazon.

There is a reason why there are so many different models of Swiss Army knife. None works for everyone. I almost wish they had a service where you could request which blades you wanted. I would only get the large and small knife, the corkscrew, and the bottle opener.... and the key ring loop. So, for me, no Swiss Army knife is perfect, but the Climber is closer than any other.

3.0 out of 5 stars Same inner works, not as well finished, May 5, 2013
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army Climber II Pocket Knife (Sports)
I figured this would be the same as my old one, and it was in terms of the quality of the tools. The finish, though, is a textured material, not the original smooth red finish. Should have read the reviews. :(

4.0 out of 5 stars a Big Boy!, October 13, 2011
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army Climber II Pocket Knife (Sports)
I bought this to replace my lost SAknife, and thought I'd upgrade by adding the corkscrew. It made a BIG difference in terms of bulk, and I'm missing my old one. This is a great knife -- it's just a bit more than I need.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, Versatile, Essential, July 2, 2011
P. Lee (CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army Climber II Pocket Knife (Sports)
I ordered this Swiss Army Knife along with a mini-LED flashlight. I was able to open the box to the knife easily as it should and placed it on my desk. Then I got to the mini-flashlight and it was wrapped in that impossible to open hard, clear plastic wrap which can only open with a scissors or sharp knife. So I opened up my Swiss Army Knife, which I had just received and sliced open the top of the packaging with ease. So I got to use this knife literally less than 2 mins after receiving it in the mail.

The outer red casing to the knife is not the smooth, shiny surface, like the other smaller sized Swiss Army Knife but has a matte grip texture to it. The varying tools open easily but stay put which is a good thing. The most important tool within this kit was the bottle opener.

I was surprised by the sharpness of the edge of it when I cut through the plastic case wrapping for the mini-flashlight.

This is my 3rd Swiss Army Knife (within the past 15 years) and so far, it's the best one yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where True Swiss Army Knives begin., February 21, 2010
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army Climber II Pocket Knife (Sports)
The climber IMO is where serious SAK's begin. The tool that sets the Climber apart from it less expensive brethren, is the scissors. It is strong enough to trim fingernails, yet delicate and precise enough to cut lightweight paper precisly. When using any of the tools, you can feel the precision built into each functional tool.
I have other Victorinox SAK's, but the usefullness, combined with the small size and light weight, make the Climber the one I reach for 95% of the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it!, July 29, 2008
J. Xie "Jc" (PA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army Climber II Pocket Knife (Sports)
I need a scissor when I went out for picnic last time. So I bought this knife. I found the other tools are also useful for me. I'd like to always keep it with me. But it is a little bit heavy for the pocket, so I usually put in my handbag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Value for an Every Day Carrier, September 17, 2008
R. Gibbs (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army Climber II Pocket Knife (Sports)
This is already a thoroughly-reviewed knife, but I'll emphasize two specific points: one, that this knife, with its small size, sturdy construction, useful toolset, stainless materials, and ridiculously low price point, is an unbelievably good value for an everyday-use tool; and two, that it came with both blades literally razor sharp--shaving sharp. This isn't a knife with soul or character to speak of, but its actual day-to-day use value is off the charts.

Edit 08/01/2012: Out of deference to the following edit's comment's commenter, I present a TL;DR: The Climber II is a three-layer knife whose dual blades and separate cap lifter/bottle opener are redundant, and whose awl is nearly useless; the Victorinox Compact is a two-layer pocket knife with a superset of tools and is a clear win unless you know for sure that you need two blades or an awl. 15 months later, still happy with it.

Edit 03/22/2011: Am very disappointed to have just had to replace this knife. The one previously reviewed now lies somewhere in the filth of Lake Michigan -- don't ask. I didn't get the same model though. For considerably more money I got the Victorinox Compact, which scraps the awl (used it only for cleaning my fingernails, which, really.) and small knife blade (sure, you could delegate tasks between two knife blades in various clever ways [I at first used the large, e.g., for crude tasks and the small for precise; then I tried reserving the large only for edibles; then I tried using the small blade only for work that would preserve its shaving-sharp edge so I'd always have a shaving-sharp edge; etc.; but I eventually decided that keeping both blades clean and sharp, which you ought to do anyway, makes it unnecessary to have two of them -- though with that said, if I still had two, my current policy would be to reserve one blade for anything involving adhesive, which is pretty much the bane of my existence--even more than the muck of Lake Michigan]) but combines the can opener and cap lifter into one tool, leaving you with an appreciably smaller and lighter pocket knife (two layers instead of three) that has blade, scissors, can opener/cap lifter, corkscrew (used by me probably as much or more than anything else on the knife), and hook (completely useless as a hook, but featuring in this case a minimally-useful nail file on its spine, which my Climber II didn't have) and retains the tweezers and toothpick, but adds a wee screwdriver (presumably useful for eyeglasses or similar?), needle, and, way usefully, a ball point pen. If you're even a little enterprising and have an internet connection and $5 you can teach yourself to replace the scales (handles) of the Climber II with ones that include a ball point pen, but you're still stuck with a three-layer pocket knife that unnecessarily divides can opening / cap lifting into two tools (and the combo tool works just as well, believe me; I use it all the time for both tasks) and includes the only-dubiously-useful small blade. For my money (literally) (and despite the inexplicable fact that it costs nearly twice as much, which, murky lakes nothwithstanding, what's an extra $12 divided into the lifetime of the knife?), the Compact is a better bet. Reckon I'll let you know in another 3 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best gifts I have ever received!, December 29, 2013
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army Climber II Pocket Knife (Sports)
Roughly ten years ago, my uncle gave me this knife out of the blue while on an elevator. He hands it to me and says, "Do you have a good pocket knife?". "No." I replied. "Take this one, you never know when you might need a good pocket knife." I carried that one till the thought of losing it over sentimental reasons forced me to buy an exact replacement. I bought the new one a little over four years ago and it has been used, literally, almost daily. Projects around the house, opening mail and packages, cutting coupons for my wife, cutting straws for my kids, opening bottles of wine while on vacation or at a friend's house, replacing smoke detectors, tightening every loose screw I come across, opening battery panels on almost every toy my kids bring me, opening the occasional Sam Adams. The list is pretty much endless. If you claim or think you don't need a pocket knife, you are wrong or have limited imagination. EVERY tool on this knife has been used in the way intended and in some ways the original designers probably never dreamed at some point in the last ten years. The bottle opener/flat head makes an excellent pry tool. The parcel carrier has been used to fish wire out of the wall (which was the first time I actually used that tool, but soon after ended up using it to carry a VERY heavy bag where the twine handles were digging into my fingers and it worked like a champ!). The very last tool I used for the first time just a couple of months ago was the wire stripper. I knew it was on there, but whenever I was doing wire work I had a pair of strippers with me and had never had the opportunity or necessity to use it. I had recently left my wire strippers at my workshop and was repairing a floor lamp at home when I realized I would need to re-strip the wire in the lamp. My knife came to mind and I said to myself, "Well, let's see how well it works." It took more effort than a pair of wire strippers, but you can bet your life that it worked perfectly. The ONLY tool I sometimes wish it had is a pair of pliers. If I had to draw one complaint it would be that the tweezers could be a little more stiff, but other than that I don't think you could ask for a better pocket knife. It goes with me everywhere and I really do feel lost without it. My uncle was right, you really never know when you will need a good pocket knife. It turns out, you will need it a LOT more than you will ever think possible. So, if you are looking for a good all-around pocket knife that is not too large, but has more than enough utility to get you through almost anything than look no further than the Climber II.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Knife, December 15, 2013
This review is from: Victorinox Swiss Army Climber II Pocket Knife (Sports)
It's the smallest knife with all the things I need (knife, scissors, corkscrew, bottle opener, can opener) so I think it's perfect. The red handle material is different than my other Swiss Army Knife, and is textured to provide better grip, but it looks a little different in case you had a sentimental attachment to the previous look.

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›