4.0 out of 5 stars Great knife.
I've purchased several Victorinox Swiss Army Knives and this one is by far my favorite. I've had it for over ten years and it is still going strong. My one complaint in general with buying pocket knives is that you always end up with at least one tool that you don't need and at least one tool that you wish you had. This knife has 3 tools in its back, 2 of which I never...
Published on July 21, 2004 by Dustin Woehl

3.0 out of 5 stars Ended up returning this.
I bought this for my husband, and I ended up returning it. It was SO HEAVY that I knew he would not want to be carrying this around in his pocket! I am sure if he were to keep it in a tackle or tool box it would be fine, but I was looking for something for him to carry.
Published on December 4, 2011 by BuyerCannolli

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great everyday carry knife, but it's worth considering the Deluxe model upgrade for the pliers, February 13, 2014
Length:: 6:34 Mins

I've been carrying my Victorinox Super Tinker knife for several years now, and it remains the knife that I always have in my pocket no matter what else I'm carrying with me or in my bag. I chose the Super Tinker because I wanted both scissors and a Phillips head screwdriver in a very slim package, and this was the thinnest knife with both of those options. Having carried it for so long now, I do somewhat regret not getting the Deluxe Tinker model instead as I find the pliers on my CyberTool 34 incredibly useful. However, the best knife is the one you're going to carry the most, and the Super Tinker has definitely lived up to its purpose. It's small enough that I never think about it being in my pocket until I need it; the Cyertool 34, by comparison, feels like a pretty massive knife and I'm constantly aware of it if I carry it throughout the day.

In my video review, I go over the following items:

1) The replaceable scales (red handle areas) on the knife. I've replaced my original scales with the "Plus" scales, which have additional slots for a ballpoint pen and a straight pin.
2) Each of the included tools in the Super Tinker.
3) A size comparison between the Super Tinker and the Victorinox Ranger, Champion Plus, and CyberTool 34 Swiss Army knives.

Bottom line: this is an excellent Swiss Army knife that you should strongly consider if having a small-sized knife is a high priority for you. It sets itself apart from a lot of other Swiss Army knives by including just the tools you'll likely use most on a daily basis and omitting all the "this might come in handy once if I ever get stranded climbing Mount Everest" tools. If you think you can live with the slightly increased weight and size of the Deluxe Tinker model, however, the pliers are an incredibly handy addition to the Super Tinker's already great tool set.

5.0 out of 5 stars The one I keep coming back to, March 4, 2012
Smaug "Jeremy" (Round Lake Beach, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I got my first Swiss Army Knive back in the 1980s, it was an Economy Recruit model that my grandpa brought back from Switzerland for each of the grandkids. I still have that one. I had a couple of cheap Imperial jack knives before that, but this was the first one that had tools. As a kid of about 11 years old, I felt like it was too good to use.

Later, I was gifted a small Tinker. This was even better, as it had the inlaid cross and two more tools. I used that one for years, until I lost it.

I replaced it with another Tinker. Great knives.

At that time, my dad carried a Classic. I was a little jealous of the scissors, but everything else was superior on the Tinker.

Fast forward many years. I was courting my wife, and she asked what I'd like for Valentine's Day. I researched a bit, and told her: "A Victorinox Super Tinker Swiss Army Knife." She got it for me, and this has been the one I keep coming back to.

Since I got the Super Tinker, I also got a CyberTool 34, which is a great knife too. The bit driver is just awesome. But it is two layers thicker, which means it is really too thick and heavy for comfortable pants pocket carry. I got an Explorer, which adds an inline phillips, magnifier, and corkscrew. Also a great knife, but at four layers thick, it is still too much for comfy pants pocket carry. I don't like the feeling of a belt pouch digging into my love handles as I walk around and especially when I sit down in a chair.

The only knife that is even close so far is the Spartan Lite, which is also 3 layers, but loses the scissors in favor of an inline phillips, LED flashlight, and corkscrew. You'll have to decide for yourself, which is handier: the scissors or the inline phillips, (as opposed to T-handle phillips) corkscrew, and LED flashlight. It is also worth noting that the SuperTinker is a little thinner than the Spartan Lite, even though they are both three layers.

Another knife I tried is the new Soldier. That is a brilliant knife tool Locking main blade and flat head screwdriver. But no scissors, and the saw that I only use once in a blue moon. Also, it's too long for pants pocket carry.

Anyway, the main point of this review is to point out that this is about the biggest SAK that can be comfortably pocket carried, and it has the perfect combination of tools needed by the typical urban or suburban man. Heck, this would even be great for a woman's purse!

5.0 out of 5 stars great knife for the money, June 25, 2008
Have had a standard tinker for about 15 years now; still in great shape except. Bought this one because they finally replaced the corkscrew I never used with a phillips screwdriver that I will use. Just the right size for pocket carry.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely necessary tool, January 10, 2008
Wanderoo (Madison, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This is my favorite tool. I always carry one. And I keep a spare, because I do occasionally lose one. I like this model because I don't need a corkscrew. The only blade I haven't used is the "hook disgorger"--but I'm guessing that one of these days I'll need it, too.Victorinox Swiss Army Deluxe Tinker, Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy, May 13, 2007
Ken Tang "kenplaysviola" (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
I keep this pocket knife attached to my key chain. It has come in handy at work where I work in I.T. The screws and knife help me pick open boxes, get into the computers, and take apart laptops. I have not used all the tools on this pocket knife, but I'm sure one day it will come in handy.

It's hard to tell from the picture, but it is not small. It's actually quite "large". I would say it is the size of your palm and not something you would want to keep on a daily key chain.

I recommend that everyone carry around a pocket knife!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite pocket knife, July 12, 2014
This review is from: Victorinox Super Tinker Swiss Army Knife (Sports)
my favorite knife. I have several models of the SAK, but this Super Tinker is the one that I find is the best combination of useful tools and reasonable size. I've used one for maybe 25 years now, I bought two more for spares when I caught them on sale but the first one has not been lost, broken or worn out, a real testimony. I do use the phillips - being like a T-handle it gives you good torque but its slow to turn. For most phillips screws I use the can opener tip - it tends to fit most phillips and is faster to turn. Other than that the scissors are great. I keep the small knife real sharp and use it when I need good cutting and use the large blade for most things.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT PRODUCT - HORRENDUS AMAZON PACKING!, September 20, 2006
This classic Swiss Army product needs no intro. Well made and highly functional all the way around. 5 stars for the knife. Minus 10 stars for Amazon's wasteful packing!!!

My knife, a sturdy product about one inch by 3 inches in size, was packed in a cardboard box nearly 100 times its size with a five foot roll of "Fill-Air" inflatable packaging to "protect' it. Come on Amazon. Get with the program! This is such a waste! A small padded box is all that was necessary for this. Ever wonder why Amazon posts ever increasing sales but can't translate that into profits? If I were an investor, I would start with the packing policy as my demand for change.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good tool in a pinch., January 18, 2007
I used a similar tool to this one while working as a groundskeeper at a veterinary hospital. It comes in handy for every task from changing lightbulbs in outbuildings when a regular screwdriver is never available, to clearing grass from under a lawnmower deck. A good tool, and more Swiss Army style knives should consider the replacement of the useless corkscrew with a handy Philips driver.

I have no complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a tinker with upgrades!, June 23, 2014
This review is from: Victorinox Super Tinker Swiss Army Knife (Sports)
It's everything I loved about the Tinker but now I have a great pair of scissors as well. They work great, and I don't see them wearing out any time soon. I've cut heavy rubber sheets, zip ties, cardboard, tape, you name it. This is the same great Tinker design but with added utility, and it still disappears in my pocket. There's no reason not to carry one of these, you get so much utility out of a small package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic quality and usefulness..., March 17, 2014
Aja (Georgia, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Victorinox Super Tinker Swiss Army Knife (Sports)
I was stoopid enough to leave this ones predecessor in my bag while trying to go through airport security. So, it got impounded, and I have nobody to blame but myself. :(

But these multi-purpose tools are just too useful not to have around. The unfortunate predecessor lasted me almost 20 years. So, for about $1.50 a year it's a steal.

Recommended for everybody, regardless of the situation!

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›