Has Obama's Victory changed and/or reshaped your perception on race issues? Looking for essays, anecdotes, poems

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2008 6:20:37 PM PST
I'm writing a book about whether Barack Obama's victory had an effect on people's consciousness, thoughts, and perception of race issues. I'm inviting people from different background, American citizens or not, to submit their story and thoughts on the issue (maximum 200 words). Below are a few questions to keep in mind while writing your story:

1. What effects did the Barack Obama's victory have on your perception of race issues in the United States?
2. How do you think the victory impacted you/people in general?
3. how do you view race relations in your state/country and/or community?
4. What changes do you foresee, if any, in regards to race relations?
5. Will the victory influence the future of your country's civil rights movement?
Hope to hear from you!
Genevieve

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2008 11:29:22 AM PST
C. Turner says:
It is interesting that I feel in the minority here. I did not see him as black or white, however, I can not deny that most of the world saw him as so. I looked at how he stood on the issues, whether or not I thought he could maturely handle the position as President and whether or not he would listen to clashing opinions with an open mind before deciding what is best for our country.
I am considered a white person even though I am what I would call an all American Mutt. I have American Indian, Scottish, Irish and French Cananian. I wonder if my skin was just a little darker if I would be considered American Indian and not Caucasian or if my hair was a little redder that I would be Irish or Scottish. As for your questions I do hope for a better tolerance of others no matter of Gender, Race, Color or Creed. As for the future, only time will tell.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2009 9:10:59 PM PST
This is short and sweet. I think it's wonderful that we are finally judging a man not by the color of his skin, but by his person. Every race has some trash and I am considered a white person.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 13, 2009 6:38:58 AM PST
Hi Turner. I'm sorry for responding late to your post. Thank you for your response. May I include it in my book. If so, I would have to send you a release form. You can check our the website www.higherlearningresource.com for more information.
Thanks again, Genevieve

Posted on Mar 16, 2009 4:05:07 PM PDT
MarlowesMom says:
I, white, watched the election returns with a room full of white friends. I am Barack Obama's age. I was brought up in a racist home and in schools and communities with almost no people of color. Overcoming that racism has been a long personal journey, still ongoing. My friends and I all had tears of joy streaming down our faces as the returns came in. Thinking of the interests of my country and my planet, I was profoundly relieved and grateful that someone of Mr. Obama's character, intellect and diligence would take leadership of our country as we face almost more crises than we can count. At a more frivolous level, it was fun to have backed a presidential winner for the first time in my life. Finally, I thought that as a country, the United States is still not there in our race relations, but we took a big step I never thought I would live to see. Now, when I see a young African-American man, instead of catching myself subtly tightening my shoulders and squeezing my purse, I see someone who could be another president of the United States. It may not be the most profound transformation, but as they say, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. I know many took that step with me this election cycle.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2009 4:21:12 PM PDT
I would like to thank you MarlowesMom, first and foremost for your honesty. If any of your friends would like to share how this election has changed their perceptions toward race issues (good or bad) I would love to hear from them. My intention is to publish these shared experiences in a book that will hopefully generate positive discussions, ampathy, and solutions for all, not just Blacks. Please do check out the website at www.higherlearningresource.com

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2014 9:16:04 AM PDT
I believe we Boomers who grew up with racial unrest, figured out the "race issue" long ago, and raised our children accordingly. Still, George Soros represented moneyed interests that have long intended to destroy America; Obama was their black-face con man, handpicked to do what no white man could have done without impeachment and arrest.

Obama has a plan and he is working it with great success. Either we wake up or this country is lost along with our children´s futures. Time for the people to be heard since we apparently have no representative voice in Washington. Obama is pushing us toward civil unrest; we must take a stand, or God help us!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2008
Latest post:  Jul 15, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance by Barack Obama (Hardcover - January 9, 2007)
4.0 out of 5 stars   (1,050)