5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Bald Guys (and Girls)
I've been using this baby for 2 years now and I can't tell you enough good things about it. Seeing the misguided reviews on the product I thought I'd better give some good info on this product.
Published on June 15, 2009 by Jacob Seethaler

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a "balder"
These clippers are far from balding. They are similer to an oversized sideburn trimmer, with multi attachments for different hair lengths.

Published on January 11, 2011 by Rumpelstiltskin

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for Bald Guys (and Girls), June 15, 2009
Jacob Seethaler (Salt Lake City, UT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vidal Sasson VSCL907 Balder/Fader (Health and Beauty)
The Vidal Sassoon Balder is meant for people who wear their hair bald. It is not meant as a traditional hair clipper as I believe the other reviewer had thought. The name says it all it is a balder.
If you wear your hair bald this product is priceless. Before the Balder I would have to pull out the messy clippers, cut my hair, get little hairs everywhere, clean up, shower, etc. It was a huge pain and a huge mess. Now I just leave my balder in the shower and trim a couple times a week with no mess and no huge time commitment. Just schedule yourself 5 extra minutes in the shower and you keep your head nice and bald.
The cordless operation is powerful and the charge usually lasts me 3 uses over a week and a half - a night charging and it's ready to go the next day. If it does run out of juice when you're not quite done, which has only happened to me once in 2 years, you can plug it in and finish the job (to avoid electrocution you might want to consider getting out of the shower first.)
I have a number of friends and associates who wear their hair bald and have recommended this product to all of them. Everyone that I know who has used it for what it's intended for (balding your head) has loved it. If you're bald - you need the balder!
In fact after writing this review I'm buying myself a spare right now just in case my first one ever wears out. I could not live without the balder.

May 26 2010 - Just an update - it's a year later and I'm having trouble finding the balder in stores anymore. I contacted Vidal Sassoon and they said it's been discontinued - YIKES! I've been using it for 3 years now and am on my second one due to corrosion that built up on the charging prongs from sitting in my shower for more than 1000 days. So I just bought 3 more. 1 for a gift 2 extra's for spares. Bald men do yourself a favor and get a balder - before it's too late!

January 17th 2011 - Clarification - I'm taking some heat for not spelling out in more precise detail how close this balder actually cuts your hair. If you've ever shaved your head with a standard Wahl razor with no attachments on it - that's how short it cuts. It's not going to polish your dome. Still loving it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for the Balding guy who wants to keep shor hair, October 15, 2009
This review is from: Vidal Sasson VSCL907 Balder/Fader (Health and Beauty)
I agree with the other bald guy that the two bad reviews are for guys that didn't notice balder in the name!
I have used one of these for about two years every day. or at least every other day. It works great No I don't use the spacers I want to be bald! It cuts pretty close not like a razor but close I've had mine for two years use it in the shower with the water on and it works great. Only problem I've had with mine was eventual corosion of the charging prongs, and yep after 2 years I'm just now buying a new one as one of the prongs broke when trying to charge.

I find I do have to keep it short and if the hair gets too long yeah they don't work well again they are for daily balding.

anyway if your looking to have a close to shaved head these are the one!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great daily shaver, February 10, 2010
This review is from: Vidal Sasson VSCL907 Balder/Fader (Health and Beauty)
When used for its intended purpose, this is a great device. It is not meant as an all purpose clipper. I use it on a daily basis with attachments to trim my facial hair. I use it on a daily basis without attachments to keep the hair on my head short without having to use a razor. As others mentioned, the wet dry function really cuts down on stubble clean up. I am a very happy camper so far, though I have only owned it one month.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for me, but not for everyone, April 8, 2008
Amazon Customer "OT Mom" (Maple Valley Pediatric Therapy) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vidal Sasson VSCL907 Balder/Fader (Health and Beauty)
I use the balder, not the fader function. I don't shave my head with a razor, just keep it as close to bald as possible with clippers. Being cordless, wet/dry capable, and one-handed, allows me to clip in the shower and avoid making a stubble mess everywhere. It works fine for this purpose.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bring this back to market!, February 8, 2011
This review is from: Vidal Sasson VSCL907 Balder/Fader (Health and Beauty)
The Vidal Sassoon Balder/Fader actually does make it easier to shave my own head. It cuts just like normal hair clippers and cuts as close as a normal set as well. The swivel platform upon which the blades are set make it easier depending on which hand you use and which part of your head you are currently cutting. I switch hands several times everytime I cut my hair. I can't comment on the guards though as I use the Balder/Fader with no guards to get the closest cut.

This device is waterproof and safe to use in the shower but I'm planning to never to use it as so. The only customers, according to my reading, that have had to buy replacements are the result of the charging prongs on the clippers rusting off after a couple of years of using in the shower. Which is great as the clippers were still working after a couple of years. If you do plan to use them in the shower then take the extra 5 seconds to dry the charging prongs after each use. This is a great device that has been discontinued for years and the online stock is bound to deplete soon.

This Balder/Fader is also best used when you're not going to be cutting much hair at one time. If you need to cut 6 inches of your hair then use a conventional set of clippers. If you only need to cut 1-2 inches or less, then these will work great.

Beware, it takes one or two times to get familiar with these clippers. Use them several times before you decide against them. I can shave my head and beard in about 10 minutes now with these bad boys. I love them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product for My Husband found at Amazon, October 6, 2010
This review is from: Vidal Sasson VSCL907 Balder/Fader (Health and Beauty)
Upon getting older and a very thinning hairline, my husband decided to shave his head. He looked for something that would do the trick. He found the Vidal Sasson VSCL907 Balder/Fader and used it happily for several years before it just tuckered out. We looked all over for a new one, but to no avail. Finally I looked on the product site to find out where they sold them or even if they were still on the market. We got a list of stores that supposedly carried them. We took a few days and visited every store on the list to find one, but to no avail. (He loved this product that much).
Finally we found the product on Amazon.com and sent for it right away. The product arrived and my husband was re-united with his second love. (I am, of course, his first love). Hopefully they will never stop making this product and my husband will be content and happy for the rest of his life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a "balder", January 11, 2011
This review is from: Vidal Sasson VSCL907 Balder/Fader (Health and Beauty)

I bought these solely as a balder, as I like to have my head completely shaven. Even without attachments, the closest it gets is a buzz cut. The only reason I bought it was because it specifically stated "balder" not "close to bald". No more third party vendors for me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was looking for............, February 12, 2012
This review is from: Vidal Sasson VSCL907 Balder/Fader (Health and Beauty)
This was not what I was looking for. I keep my head shaved (not skin), so I thought this should work great. I use it without the guards to get that close shave and it feels like it's scraping my head. The other thing I don't like about it is, that I have hold down the power button when shaving my head, kind of sucks when your trying to shave the back of your head and hold the power button on at the same time. So all in all, no I WOULD NOT recommend this product to friends and family. I can see why it was discontinued!

4.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FOR THE FOLLICALLY CHALLENGED, February 12, 2012
This review is from: Vidal Sasson VSCL907 Balder/Fader (Health and Beauty)
I've been using this Vidal Sassoon VCSL907 Balder for about 3 years now. It works well, but very slowly. I have to go over all areas many times to get an even cut. It is NOT a "Balder". It's a buzz cutter.

My scalp hair ranges from thick to thin density and non-existent in the front to the crown, but no matter the hair count, what is there is all very fine hairs.

My beard area is the opposite. It's all thick and full. Once again, I must go over each beard area many times to get it all cut even. The thing is, it works great for what it is.

While this is a water resistant shaver, I never use it wet. I also only use it when plugged in to A/C and I clean it thoroughly at the end of each shave. The reason I want another one is I'm used to it AND the 360º trimmer head has no "click stops" anymore, so I have to keep the head from spinning with one finger as I shave. The blades also need to be reground.

The end result is that it does a good job.

4.0 out of 5 stars no longevity, December 29, 2011
This review is from: Vidal Sasson VSCL907 Balder/Fader (Health and Beauty)
love everything about this except the batteries don't last long enough. this was my second one and it lasted only a year. the first lasted 2 years. maybe they just sit on the shelf too long before they are bought? if you are bald like me, you can't beat shaving your head in the shower, no clean up.

Vidal Sasson VSCL907 Balder/Fader