4.0 out of 5 stars 8 minute set up
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:10 Mins
Published 20 months ago by Douglas Schrift

3.0 out of 5 stars VERY cheap build quality but they function well enough.
The Good: They lights turn on and they light up your environment pretty well.

Published 23 months ago by DIGITALid

4.0 out of 5 stars 8 minute set up, January 11, 2013
This review is from: Video Lighting Kit Photo Studio Kit 2000 Watt Digital Video Continuous chroma key (Electronics)
Length:: 2:10 Mins

This softbox kit, as other reviewers have said, is not bad. I was looking for more or less permanent lighting in my home office to shoot video blogs. These seem to fit the bill. I bought 4 of these puppies, two for the wall and two for me, and they do a good job. I wouldn't want to break them down too often. The are replacing a set of incandesant lights which were very hot. These babies do heat up a little but nothing like the regular bulbs. After setting up 3 of them, I timed myself for the 4th in this video. 8 minutes and 16 seconds start to finish. The light is from two of the first ones I set up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better than I expected!, August 10, 2011
For the price, I didn't expect much. I needed more light than I owned for an upcoming project. I was going to rent some similar (but higher quality) lights from a local company. Then I ran across this set. For what it would cost me to rent lights for the time needed, I could own these.

Putting them together was not difficult (except for the hoods)- the instructions don't help much. (Hint: make sure the hood rods are FULLY inserted when you attach the hood, they have a tendency to slip out a little, then you have problems).

The stands themselves are pretty decent, but the fixtures and adjustable clamps are of lesser quality. If you plan on putting these together and leaving them in your studio - they will work fine. I would not suggest them for remote/location shoots - the hoods are way too difficult to put together.

The quality of light and brightness is just fine, and having a separate switch for each bulb gives you plenty of variation. Not as handy as a real dimmer - but it works.

If you need some extra, light-duty, studio lighting, and you have a place to store them (without tearing them down) - these will do nicely. For less than $150, it's really tough to beat these.

As usual - Amazon did a great job with on-time delivery and packaging.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding light set - excellent quality and light quality. Daylight in my house!, February 27, 2011
Outstanding light set. Easy to set up and the lighting is perfect for video which is what I am using it for. It looks just like daylight and the blubs do not get very hot at all. I had them on in a small room (8 X 10) for an hour and they were just getting warm. No broken parts and the shipping was super fast. I love the lights and can strongly recommend them. Note that I am a amateur making videos, but I am very sensitive to what light looks like in my pictures and videos. However, people often comment on how nice the lighting and color is in my pictures and videos - so I do have a good feel for what is good.

3.0 out of 5 stars VERY cheap build quality but they function well enough., October 16, 2012
The Good: They lights turn on and they light up your environment pretty well.

The Bad: The build quality is noticeably cheap. The plastic feels like its going to crack under its own weight. The softboxes are very tricky to build. It feels like one of those metal rods is about to shoot out and jab you in the throat at any moment. It comes with a carrying bag but you're not going to want to rebuild these boxes every time. The stitching on the softboxes themselves is pulling apart after one build but is holding together. After repeated rebuildings these won't hold. The tripods are ridiculously shoddy. Luckily I had better ones that I used instead. Not only are they very light to the point that the softbox itself would make it tip if angled low but the legs would just bend making the pole tilt at weird angles. I had to take a screwdriver and wrench to it to lock that think in place which then made it impossible to fold the tripods to put them away again. I just tossed them and used my old ones.

The Ugly: The aforementioned stitching and shoddy tripods.

The Summary: Though this review seems mostly negative, its just a warning to those expecting quality boxes. AT THIS PRICE you get what you pay for. Lights that work and that's what I focused on and why I was not quite "happy" but satisfied. The lights work and with two your subject appears very well lit and ultimately that is what matters. If you plan on this being a mobile solution, look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked it so much I bought a second pair, December 7, 2011
Yes, they take time to set up (unlike simple umbrella-type flash soft boxes). I haven't figured a way to safely store the heads with the bulbs in them, so it takes time to take it all apart for storage. However I haven't found this much (directional yet diffused) light per dollar in any other form.

The second pair of these soft boxes I bought were an improvement. The corners of the boxes near the light are velcro slits on the new boxes, which make it simple to assemble them. The first set I bought had fixed sides (no slits) and one convertible pocket. Here are my instructions for those with the convertible pocket and no side slits:

Don't screw the CFL bulbs in until the softbox is constructed. Put the 5-bulb base in your lap with the swivel (which will attach to the light stand) towards you and the empty bulb sockets facing up. Fit the inner opening of the softbox (foil side up) onto the bulb base. (This is a fairly tight squeeze to keep stray light from leaving the box.) Note that the box can be either taller than wide, wider than tall, or you can even put it on the base at a 45 degree angle. I usually prefer to have mine horizontal, so I make sure the wider panels are away from and towards me (not to my left and right).

Now look out at the edges of what will be the inside corners of the box. You'll see four narrow, black pockets. Notice that just ONE of those pockets is made with an OPEN flap at the far end. THAT pocket will recieve the LAST of the four metal shafts. Install one of the metal shafts into the bulb base at 90 degrees to that open pocket and bend the shaft (without kinking it!) to fit it into its softbox pocket (all of this happens on the foil/inside). Then install the shaft opposite that first one... into the bulb base, bend, into the black pocket. Now do the same with the third shaft (opposite the open pocket). THEN, slide the last shaft THROUGH the remaining open pocket and put it into the bulb base hole. PULL the remaining corner of the softbox up along the shaft (bending it, too) until you can close that fourth velcro pocket. SEE? Not that hard, especially when you've done it a couple of times.

Now install the bulbs and plug in the cord to make sure they all light up. (One of my switches required a wire to be re-soldered. Now's the time to change any bad bulbs.) Attach the inner diffuser at those white Velcor corners inside the box, and fit the outer diffuser on, pressing it against the velcro on all four sides. I usually build the boxes at home and bring them to the location already assembled. The five switches on the back allow you to choose how many of the five bulbs are on, regulating the light output.

By the way, when you double the number of lights (say you have a 100W bulb and add a second), the light falling on your subject does not double. All other things remaining the same, it will multiply the first light by 1.4. That's half a stop, not a whole stop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good And Bright, February 1, 2013
The lights are very ideal for green screen, often it is recommended 3 lights, for even lighting and the third for the screen exclusively, but these two make such a subtle shadow it works just fine.
Overall- a great price for good quality lights.

4.0 out of 5 stars great kit for a low price....., August 12, 2014
this item worked great even when one of my crew knocked it to the ground and everything came apart, nothing was unrepairable even the light bulbs themselves fell apart but were fairly easy to push back together without tools. my only negative as would be the same with ANY lighting kit of this capacity they are light....VERY light. definitly invest in 6 sand bags. but the quality is impressive for the price along with the amount of control provided for such a cheap kit. im already thinking about buying another light from them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy these lights!, July 21, 2014
These lights rock. If your looking for a pair of good quality lights for a cheap price buy these. My only issue with them is I wish they made the hinge to adjust the lights angle a little stronger. Its a little cheaply made. However the lights are bright and can be turned on individually which is a huge plus. These are definitely worth investing in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Light but useable, July 13, 2014
While light-duty, it is workable and we are happy. The variable light power switches seem effective. And it was Not a problem to assemble.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for he price, June 14, 2014
These are not pro lights, but for the money are very nice lights. I just need some lighting for a few portraits. These should work well. The lights are not super easy to put together, but not horrible either. Why not five stars? Because the fixture bracket and the tripod upright mount do not mate well. The lights are good, the stands better than expected, the way the two come together leaves much to be desired. With a bit more thought on how these two items come together, this could easily be a really great inexpensive product. Yes the light hoods could also be designed for better easier setup, but they are not the weak link in this purchase. All said, I still recommend the lights, I just wish the manufacturer would not have said, good enough it works; but instead said, how can this work great, because this one thing sucks much more than the rest of everything/anything else.

Rate and Discover Movies