- Have the next big idea for a movie? Submit a 2-15 min. concept video to Amazon Studios for a chance to have your movie made. Learn more.
"One of the strengths of this book is the author's tone, which manages to present both basic and complex material in a way that is easily understandable to the neophyte." --Gustavo Mercado, Hunter College
Tired of the dry rudimentary guidebooks that ignore the art of telling compelling video stories?Video Shooter takes you to a new level of competence and expertise by presenting the camera as a potent storytelling tool. Sure, you will learn the basics of HD formats, the fundamentals of compression and color space, but only so much as these technical areas serve your craft, which includes more fundamentally camera placement and eyeline, choice of lens focal length and the power of the triangle in creating powerful compositions. Throughout the book you will come to understand the master shooter's guiding principle, that story is the conduit through which all creative and technical decisions flow.
Humorous and opinionated, the author provides insightful anecdotes and tutorials that help you learn the video shooter's craft. While the book focuses primarily on how to get the most out of your entry- and mid-level P2, XDCAM, and AVCHD camcorder, the principles and lessons covered such as shooting for green screen and understanding point of view apply just as well to video shooters and storytellers of any level.
As apprenticeships in the industry have largely disappeared, aspiring shooters and film students have had to seek alternative sources for training and guidance. InVideo Shooter , you will find a master teacher offering perceptive lessons with a healthy dose of inspiration; these pages are as close to a living and breathing mentor as one can get in a printed form.
Hundreds of full-color photos and illustrations present the many lessons throughout the book.
* Engaging and informative, veteran shooter Barry Braverman shares the craft and emotion of constructing compelling visual stories with HD cameras
* Explores the video storyteller's window on the world, the use of perspective and choice of lens, the crafting of close-ups, control of depth of field and recommended use of cine lenses and adapters
* Considers the art of tweaking the HD image through proper camera setup, supplemental glass filters and postproduction software to control noise, contrast and detail level
* Covers the latest tapeless technologies and workflow from recording to flash memory and optical disc to outputting to DVD, Blu-ray and the Web
* Companion website offers tutorials, bonus illustrations, equipment reviews, tips and tricks, a reader's help line and the author's blog
I was so revealed to see this book for such a low price. Thank you so soo very much! 5/5!!Published 14 months ago by Devereaux92
I like this book--it's a good intro to visual storytelling using an HD video camera. If you are a pro, or an experienced amateur used to working with pro gear, a lot of it will... Read morePublished 16 months ago by David C. Veeneman
It's okay. A slow read so, I pick it up and put it down.
One day I'll finish it. Stand By!
I wish all college video classes were as informative as this book. It has been used and reused in our production company and is showing marks of a well-worn book. Read morePublished on February 24, 2012 by whitewave
While the book has some good information, Chapter 1 starts off on a bitter tone about how inexpensive video equipment has cheapened the author's craft. What a crybaby. Read morePublished on May 4, 2011 by Cliff
There is so much useful information in this book, it can take months to absorb everything. Even then, it is so informative that you will want to re-read it. Read morePublished on December 20, 2010 by Bass Cadet
This book is well written and informative. It includes not only a detailed description of the camera and how to use it correctly, but also techniques for creating a compelling... Read morePublished on August 27, 2010 by Vince Migliore
If you are not already a seasoned digital video shooter, this book can be of help to you in different ways - as a learning guide, as a reference, or as a playbook on what you need... Read morePublished on August 24, 2010 by bsg2004
Dankeschon, for writing this book, Herr Braverman.
Your no nonsense approach coupled with your extensive field experience has translated into a practical field guide that is... Read more