4.0 out of 5 stars Surveillance wire that works with a "But...."
Published on January 7, 2010 by Andrew E

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away from these cables
Published on July 9, 2012 by Rodeman

4.0 out of 5 stars Surveillance wire that works with a "But....", January 7, 2010
Andrew E (Westchester, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: VideoSecu 100 Feet Pre-made All-in-One Video Power BNC RCA Cable for CCTV Security Cameras 1JE (Electronics)
I purchased this cable through Amazon. This wire is typically used to connect a surveillance camera to a TV monitor or a recording device (VCR or DVR). Each end of the wire has a plug for video and DC power. One end of the cable has a male 2.1mm DC power connector and a male RCA type video plug. The other end of the cable has a female DC power connector and a female BNC video plug. The seller is generous enough to include 2 conversion adapters in case you need an RCA plug on both ends (for a standard VCR or monitor) or you need a BNC connection on both ends (often seen on time-lapse security recording devices and some more expensive cameras). The price was very reasonable for 100 feet of cable and the cable does work nicely.

Now for the "but...' part in the title of this review:
I failed to look closely at the picture. If you do look closely at the picture you will see two separate wires at each end of the cable which are joined into one single wire a few inches later. I assumed that there would be two wires attached to each other for the entire cable length just like any standard electric cord. If your security setup has your recording device right next to your power supply then this wire is fine and there is no problem. However if you have your recording device is in a lock box for added security and your power supply is not located in the lock box (perhaps because of concern about excessive heat buildup from the power brick or space or electrical considerations) then you will not be able to separate the video and power wire so that you can run the power wire to a different location. Cable that I purchased a few years ago had 2 wires on each end of the cable that are joined a few inches later just like this wire but the wires remain separate (but attached) along the entire length of cable. I could split the two apart with a knife for any length I chose. In my case my power supply is 10 feet away. In all likelihood the seller would accept a return but with the shipping cost it is probably not worth it for me. I will now have to find a 10 foot DC power cable extension wire and run the extra wire from the lock box to the power brick. Two distinct wires would have been so much easier and less messy. As I said this one is my mistake. I did not know this wire was sold in this format. On the plus side if stealth is part of your setup then a single wire is easier to hide than a double joined wire.

The seller was quick with shipping and had good communication about the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works with Zmodo system, March 6, 2012
Rocky Lin (Bellevue, WA) - See all my reviews
I purchased this cable for the Zmodo security camera. The security system was originally packaged with 60 ft cables that had thinner rubber sheathing around the cable. These actually were a bit thicker and seemed to be stronger than the original cables. The reason why I needed this cable was that I had accidentally severed the original cable when I stapled the cable to the wall.

However, these cables were able to be stapled without any issues and the signal to the camera was just as clean as the original cables that were almost 1/2 the length.

5.0 out of 5 stars Video and Power Cable, December 25, 2008
This product was as described. Includes BNC adapters so you don't have to worry about not having the right connections. Make sure you have the correct power connector end at your power supply and camera.

5.0 out of 5 stars used for cctv camera, October 14, 2010
I bought a security camera and power supply and this item so I could keep an eye on my front door for when packages are left and I'm not home. This is working fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars video cable works like a charm, January 2, 2008
leno2002 (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Product was exactly as described. Works perfectly. Couldn't ask for better service or faster shipping. Will likely purchase more in the future

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Long Cable - Recommended, May 13, 2012
These VideoSecu 150' Video/Power cable is exactly what I need to install the security cameras at the far end of my wife's building. We bought two of these cable and they worked perfectly with the cameras provided with our Zmodo Surveillance System with 8 Weatherproof IR Cameras PKD-DK0865-NHD.

The cables are very thin, so care does need to be taken when running them. We noticed only slightly degraded image quality with the very long runs.

Recommended!

CFH

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a 150' cable and it works like one, April 5, 2012
Until I run the conduit the cable has been ran along the ground. Until last week it has been covered in snow and ice. Not it gets snow at night and melts off during the day.

The cable has held up well and has the same quality as the standard 60' cables that came with my DVR camera package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price, Quality merchandise, Fast Shippng, February 23, 2010
Quality merchandise, excellent manufacturing the video and power connector ends fit thier mating connectors securely. Worked well with all of my cameras, I was concerned about picture quality running power and video over 100' of cable so I tested the cables with 3 different cameras. The cable insertion losses were not an issue.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stay away from these cables, July 9, 2012
I have one of their video camera's and it has decent picture quality so I thought their cables would be well built as well. Unfortunately, that's not the case. After the security cameras were hooked up and running I noticed at night that I had scrolling horizontal lines. it seemed really odd and I thought I had a bad camera until I noticed a second camera doing it. Two of eight cameras, and they were both from different manufacturers, is not a bad camera issue. I looked at the video camera cables and unplugged the first white cable. Sure enough it turned off the backyard camera, which was scrolling. I tried the other white cable and sure enough, it turned off the hallway camera which was also flickering. Instantly I knew what the issue was. These cables are not shielded at all and the noise is causing the scrolling.

Amazon was great. The refunded all six that I had ordered and I put in an order for some Q-see shielded cables instead of this third party type. The moment I hooked them up, they worked perfectly and the scrolling horizontal lines are gone. That's the way a company should respond and that's the quality of the Q-see product compared to VideoSecu. So stick with the name brand and be sure they are shielded.

5.0 out of 5 stars security camera cable, April 7, 2011
Raypa (FORT LAUDERDALE, FL, US) - See all my reviews
cable bought with a Video-Secu camara. Works just fine. We even cut it because it was to long and it is made of 3 small wires that we could easily reconnect with all necessary protection