5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable Mount for Optoma HD66
Published on January 8, 2011 by Sandy Wilson

3.0 out of 5 stars Base Is Too Narrow
Published 15 months ago by Michael

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable Mount for Optoma HD66, January 8, 2011
This review is from: VideoSecu LCD/DLP Projector Ceiling Mount Bracket White Fits both flat or Vaulted ceiling PJ2W 1CA (Office Product)
This is a good ceiling projector mount especially for the price. It took me two hours to find a way to make it work for the HD66 but after I messed around with it a bit it fit perfectly and securely. If you have the HD66 look at the picture I added and it will make your life a lot easier when it comes to attaching the mount onto the projector. You will definitely not use all of the parts in the package. After I attached it to the projector the rest was simple.

5.0 out of 5 stars You get MORE for your money with this one!, March 9, 2009
acid6x "acidiumsix" (mendocino county Ca.) - See all my reviews
I bought this mount after reading the reviews and was a little edgy about it because of the "one star" review i read that said it might just drop from the ceiling...Well before i hung my projector from it I ACTUALLY GRABBED ONTO IT AND HUNG WITH THE FULL 140LBS OF MY BODY WEIGHT AND IT SLIPPED ABOUT 1/4" AND THEN CAUGHT. I noticed that if you turn the sliding height adjustment bar upside down it will slip off SO MAKE SURE YOU PUT THAT BAR ON THE RIGHT WAY (try it both ways, the right one will be obvious) If you install it correctly you REALLY CANT BEAT THIS FOR THE MONEY. It is a must that you be somewhat mechanically inclined..if your unsure, have a friend on hand for second opinions and to help you hold everything steady. Once its up its easy to make adjustments and it looks sweet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, does the job nicely (if you use some common sense), September 19, 2010
I used this for an Optoma HD20 projector. The mount has 4 arms and 3 pieces that insert into the arms and that screw into the projector itself. I did not use the extension piece.

I used this to mount my projector into the ceiling. I didn't have any studs, and just used 2 of those metal mushrooming sheetrock wall-anchors (each rated at 20 lbs). Installation of the mounting plate using those was a breeze.

Compared to other mount systems (which often sell the ceiling mounting plate separately from the plate that attaches to the projector), this is an extremely good deal. Everything you need comes in one box for a very low price, and installation is pretty painless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very surprised with this cheap mount, January 20, 2012
Got this mount due to many reviews and mostly 5 stars. although negative reviews kinda scared me. I am technically inclined so wasnt too worried about it. I have an Optoma HD33, which by the way is totally awesome to say the least. Mount bracket took about 1/2 hr to put together. Did not need the extension arm. Just look at directions, which were a little hard to follow the diagram, but figured it out. I placed all screws and bolts in piles as picture showed what was supplied. Kept each item in their separate pile to make finding item real easy. Now to mount the legs to the bottom of the hd33 took some trial and error and had to find center of gravity. Did various combinations and finally nailed it. Perfect fit. It is possible for those HD33 owner. Need help, will provide a picture. Just Email me.

Took bracket separately, found stud in ceiling and mounted it. Then took legs and quick release, and slid it onto the bracket with ease. Slightly tightened left, right and up and down swings movements . When projector hit the sweet spot, tightened it down. Very sturdy mount. Only complaint, no panning left to right to fix offset, so just unbolted back screw to ceiling mounting bracket and slide back left or right. Then secured to ceiling, but new hole in ceiling made, but I secured a 1X4 to ceiling first to studs and then bracket to 1x4. So i could make adjustment easily.

For those with negative reviews, just play with it and don't give up. Can be done on HD33, not sure about all projectors though. All in all good, although buying optoma mount may have been easier but could not find one in white to match my ceiling. Hope this review helps

5.0 out of 5 stars videoSecu Univ ceiling mount, November 11, 2009
This did the job that was needed!! I used this mount for an Inforcus projector for our theatre room. First off, prior reviews made me suspect of buying this because they stated flimsy quality, mount, hardware, etc. I hooked this too a stud in the ceiling and it easliy held my wife a couple feet from the floor!!!!!!! The instructions could be a little bit better, but its pretty much common sense. Pitch and yaw angles are minimal, but will get the job done to make sure your have a straight picture. I even hooked this mount to an Optoma just to see if it would fit and no suprises it did with ease. If you contemplating this mount, I would say get it!! it is surely worth the cheap price and the delivery time was amazing as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not quite universal..., September 18, 2011
This universal projector mount is sadly not quite universal (Unless you ghetto rig it. See bott. It does not have a large enough mounting plate (mounting arms) to fit my projector, an Epson 8700 UB. I did not figure this out until AFTER I put the damn thing together, so do yourself a favor and make sure you try the mounting plate on your projector before you go through the hassle. If you don't, and you follow the order of the instruction manual, you may end up in my position. :(

I will say, that after I put the thing together, it was extremely sturdy. I mean, you could kill zombies with it. That said, I did make a minor tweak to its design. On the bottom side of the outer part of the extension piece, I slid a washer between where the inner and outer sections touched on the side with the back plate. It gives you way more washers than you need, and I did this to make one of the three screws stretching the inside portion of the extension more effective at keeping the device sturdy while not poking through the back of the inside back plate. I know that sounds confusing, but if you're looking at the product and trying to put it together, it won't be.

Also, the parts that were included did not coincide with what was in the manual in terms of quantity, but that's because the manual has incorrect numbers. All of the parts necessary to install this thing are there. It's really easy to do too.

Anyway, I would recommend this if you don't have a gigantic projector. Being that this projector is my first, I didn't really think it was that large. I guess I was wrong.

****I DID NOT RETURN THE PRODUCT. I DECIDED TO GHETTO RIG IT BECAUSE IT'S ONE OF THE CHEAPEST MOUNTS ON AMAZON. Because I've seen people hang the Epson 8350 with only 3 screws, I knew this one could be done like that as well. That said, I looked at what pieces it came with, and I decided on doing a 4 hole mount. I was able to achieve this by adding a few additional screws and bolts of my own to connect two of the long legs each to a short leg and then screwing in to the mounting hole on the projector. I'm admittedly not using one of the ideal holes on the projector because a screw broke while trying to reverse it. After trying for way too long with a stripped screw removal tool, I finally gave up on that hole.****

***see pictures of the product for pics uploaded by me for how to make this work***

5.0 out of 5 stars Shortened it 5 inches, very stable mount, October 20, 2013
The mount was too long, so I cut both of the down tubes 5". So now my projector sits 13" below my ceiling, which negates keystoning with my projector.
I bought an Epson 2030 with this mount, and it holds it securely. A little finicky with adjusting, but all good.
It is a little brainstorming on how to position the mount arms to correspond to your projector holes. At least it was to me, with the Epson.
But in all, this mount holds my projector securely, looks nice and professional.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mount, But read before buying!, January 28, 2014
I got this for my Benq W1070 (Incidentally it was showing up with Benq 1070 as "bought together") and didnt pay attention that this "universal" mount may not be universal enought to fit my projector. The 4 arms couldnt be mounted with the supplied screws, I ended up cutting and modifying the screws to get it to fit. Would have been nice if this was compatible with the Benq 1070. The mount itself is well made and works fine with lots of adjustment options.

3.0 out of 5 stars Base Is Too Narrow, October 1, 2013
Michael (Two Harbors, MN, United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this so that I can hang my new BenQ W1070 projector. I had another more expensive mount attached to my ceiling from my old projector that I really wanted to use but it wasn't of the "universal" type and there was no way to match up the mounting holes in the projector and mount. Because this mount is an economy model I won't ding it for lack of leveling controls or other more advanced features found on my old mount. This mount does what it was designed to do, hang projectors from various manufacturers without having to purchase additional parts at a bargain price. However, the base that attaches to the ceiling is really too small and too narrow. After the mount is connected to the ceiling and you're busy making adjustments to align the picture and screen the base loosens a little at the ceiling because of the leverage action caused by the rest of the mount. The amount of the gaping caused by the loosened mount base is small, a 16th of an inch or so, but that translates to big movements on the screen. I folded a small piece of paper and wedged it in the gap so the picture is level and this will probably last until the bulb needs to be replaced but it is a flaw that you should really consider before choosing this particular mount.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, But a Bit Limited in Height Adjustment, March 20, 2014
I bought this to mount an Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 2000 Projector to my basement ceiling. For the most part, it worked fine, but it did not have enough height adjustment for me to be able to get a geometrically correct screen image without having to use keystone. And when you use keystone, you lose screen resolution (which is bad). Ideally, you want to mount any projector so that it creates a rectangular, squared off image without any digital keystone. This assures that all of your pixels are being used to create an image, instead of shifting some of your available resolution outside the active picture area. But I digress...

First of all, my mount came with all of the necessary hardware (screws, washers, etc.) and the instructions were pretty clear. The only extra tool I needed was a drill for the ceiling mount holes and a Philips head screwdriver. The mount comes with two Allen wrenches to adjust the rest. The VideoSecu mount comes with an adjustable extension arm. If you want your projector right up against the ceiling, you can mount it without using the extension arm at all, and this will put the top of your projector 5.5" from the ceiling. For me this was just slightly too high to get a squared off image on my 92-inch screen which is permanently mounted to the wall.

So I tried the extension arm, which drops the projector down significantly lower, with a range of around 16.9" to 25.6" and this was slightly too low (I feel like Goldilocks!). At the least amount of extension (16.9" from ceiling), I was able to square off my projection image using about +7 on the vertical Keystone scale. This isn't terrible, and did create a nice-looking image for most content, but putting up a 1080p test pattern showed that the view-able image was no longer getting the full 1920x1080 pixel resolution. In actual viewing, this becomes noticeable mostly with text as in movie credits, and a subtle loss of detail on some movie content.

The only other issue I had with the mount was due to my projector having three instead of four mounting holes. The mounting interface has four adjustable feet that screw into holes on the bottom of the projector. Most projectors have four holes but the Epson Home Cinema 2000 and 2030 have three holes. The manual that came with the mount suggests that you remove two of the feet and place one of them in a fifth hole that is located between two of the others on the mounting plate. The problem is that the mount I received has no fifth hole - it's simply not there. It is pictured on the VideoSecu web site with a fifth hole, so I'm guessing they may have added this hole to a later version of the mount and I may have gotten old stock. I ended up leaving all four legs on the mount and just used three. Using two of the long feet and one short foot reversed (for the projector's center hole), I was able to get a nice tight mount, pretty close to the projector's center of gravity so it was not pulling in any one direction.

It's important to note that this requirement to use Keystone may or may not affect you if you use this or any other projector with the VideoSecu mount. My issue is due to a couple of things: the screen is already mounted in a fixed location (I can't move it up or down) and the Epson Home Cinema 2000 and 2030 projectors have a fairly unique throw angle. These projectors have 92% of the image above, and 8% of the image below the lens center line. You reverse these numbers when mounting the projector upside down from a ceiling. On a 92-inch screen, this means the lens must be about 3.5 to 4 inches below the top of the screen in order to get a square image without keystone. If your projector has a different throw angle, or if it has lens shift, or if you have higher ceilings (mine are about 8 feet) or more flexible screen mounting options, then this VideoSecu mount may be a perfect fit.

Other than the need to use Keystone in my specific case, the VideoSecu PF12W offers decent adjustability and performance for an excellent price. I was able to adjust the tilt in all directions to hit the screen properly and the projector locks in place pretty well so even the occasional light bump (from my head) does not misalign the image. If it weren't for the need to use keystone to square the image, I would be extremely satisfied with this mount. As it is, I'm going to try out Epson's own Universal Projector Mount with its optional Adjustable Extension Column to see if that gets me the exact height I need. Based on the specs, I think it will.