Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: VideoSecu Indoor Outdoor Bullet Security Camera Built-in Sony CCD Weatherproof 3.6mm Wide View Angle Lens Camera for CCTV DVR Home Surveillance System 1CN
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on June 7, 2012
99 comments|58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 4, 2012
I ordered this camera to place out at the end of my driveway under a light pole. I didn't want one that had the integrated IR lamps since the motion capture function on the DVR picks up nothing but bugs flying in front of the camera that are interested in the IR lamps. This is a big problem in Florida. This camera fit the bill for my needs.

The item says it is weatherproof. I mounted it on an outdoor electrical box that is mounted on a 15 foot metal conduit that is pressed into the ground about 4 feet, which is easy to do in the Florida sand. The camera worked great for a few weeks, and then after the first good rain of our rainy season the camera started to fog up. The next day it rained some more, and this time there was visible water in the camera picture, and upon inspection in the front section in the camera against the lens window.

This caused it to stop working. Now since I had my mount set up for this particular camera, I just went and ordered another. Meanwhile I took apart this camera and found that the "weatherproof" claim isn't all that substantiated with the build quality. The camera unscrews in the middle, and that seam is covered with tape, the beige band you see in the picture of the product. Yes, there was a gasket further in the seam, but the water just sitting in there behind the tape was bound to get in, or at least cause it to fog up in the heat cold changes throughout the day.

So I took the camera completely apart and let it sit in some rice overnight to get the water out of it. The next day the camera was working again. Ok, good. But I didn't want to do this every time it rained so I put in some dessicant pellets that I had laying around (after cooking them in the oven for a while to dry them out completely first). This way if any water or humidity did get in, the dessicant would absorb it.

I decided that the camera wasn't really waterproof and ready to be put in the path of our daily Florida rains, so I ended up building a rounded cover like you would see on other "bullet" cameras that have IR LEDs on them. It covers the camera so the rain will just run off, and it also shields the front of the camera from the sun like a baseball cap.

So long story short, don't plan on sticking this camera somewhere that isn't under cover from the rain.

The picture quality is good, but there is a black band on the right side of the image that takes up about 5% of the screen, and this is present on the first and the second cameras that I bought of this type. The wide angle is also good without too much of that fisheye effect.
on June 8, 2012
I bought 2 of these to replace the standard cameras that came with my CCTV system. The field of view on these is almost triple what I could see with the default cameras. The colors are sharp and it performs beautifully in low light (much better than the so-called "night-vision" cameras that came with my system). These made the difference in turning my CCTV system from just a toy to a useful security and monitoring system. With just 2 of these under the front eaves of my house I can view the front door, entire front yard, and driveway.
on February 20, 2013
This camera replaced a $25 camera I bought 6 months ago which works good, but the colors are off. So this was supposed to be an upgrade. At first, I was pretty impressed with this camera since it had a decent daytime picture & had a very good nighttime picture when facing my street. The street lights on my block provide enough light that this camera gave a night picture that was comparable to my Infrared Night Vision Cameras (See the pictures I uploaded yesterday). Also, even though it says it is "Weather Proof", I usually take that to mean "Weather Resistant", especially with cameras that are under $50, so I mount my outside cameras under eaves etc. to shield them from the elements.

Unfortunately, less than 48 hours after installing this camera outside under the eave of my garage it has failed. When I reviewed playback of recordings from the first night, I noticed that it fogged up at dawn, then cleared itself up by noon. I took it down & inspected it, it seemed OK, so I assumed it fogged up outside the lens, not inside, so I put it back up. Today, on the 2nd day of use, I came home to see the live view was just fuzzy black & grey circles. I took the camera down again & you can see condensation has built up behind the lens.

I really do not understand how this happened since it is not directly exposed & is somewhat shielded from the elements. It did not even rain, just a light drizzle followed by a heavy fog during the first morning. I have never bought an outside camera that has failed so fast.

I also bought a 4 pack of camera cables from VideoSecu that were very thin & 3 of the 4 were no good right out of the box (see my other reviews). I notice all VideSecu products seem to have many good reviews here on Amazon, many more than most other security system products, but after my experiences with a few of their products, I suspect the reviews are mostly fake. I would advise people to stay away from VideoSecu since their products are cheap junk from China.
review image review image
on May 31, 2013
I have this temporarily mounted in the crack of the overhead door of my garage to catch vandals. It has been there 1 month. I get clear color images in the daytime and with the help of a light in the alley, good black and white at night. What I like best is that no one knows the camera is there because there are no red lights at night.
on June 22, 2012
Bought this camera for outdoor use since it was advertised as weatherproof. One rain and it was full of water. I am sure it would be good indoors but not outdoors.
on May 9, 2012
This security tv camera has a very clear and stable picture. I was amazed at the quality and ease of installation. I have 2 other cameras that pale in comparison. We have been using this camera for 3 months continuously without any problems.
on June 9, 2013
This camera has good color and BW picture rendition,reasonably sharp image for its size night picture is good, needs very little light to work,can't tell you anything about water resistance I use mine indoors.Good buy for the price.
on January 6, 2013
This sec cam works very well. It replaced and older style bullet cam which was smaller. I thought this new one would be same size, but its actually a little bigger and bulkier. Although my old bullet cam was only B&W. This one is color in daylight & B&W at night. A free upgrade because I paid full price for my old bullet cam. I saved $100 on this new bullet cam. Nothing bad to say other than the size. Still its a very good buy.
on March 23, 2013
I like this camera because it's discrete and easy to hide. I have them mounted indoors and pointing out the window from the corner of the window frame. The picture isn't HD or anything but it gets the job done. When night falls the color fades and it looks black and white, and as it gets darker unless there is any ambient light in the background you can't see anything. I wish for the price they were slightly better quality but overall I'm satisfied.