Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now DOTD

on January 7, 2010
I purchased this cable through Amazon. This wire is typically used to connect a surveillance camera to a TV monitor or a recording device (VCR or DVR). Each end of the wire has a plug for video and DC power. One end of the cable has a male 2.1mm DC power connector and a male RCA type video plug. The other end of the cable has a female DC power connector and a female BNC video plug. The seller is generous enough to include 2 conversion adapters in case you need an RCA plug on both ends (for a standard VCR or monitor) or you need a BNC connection on both ends (often seen on time-lapse security recording devices and some more expensive cameras). The price was very reasonable for 100 feet of cable and the cable does work nicely.

Now for the "but...' part in the title of this review:
I failed to look closely at the picture. If you do look closely at the picture you will see two separate wires at each end of the cable which are joined into one single wire a few inches later. I assumed that there would be two wires attached to each other for the entire cable length just like any standard electric cord. If your security setup has your recording device right next to your power supply then this wire is fine and there is no problem. However if you have your recording device is in a lock box for added security and your power supply is not located in the lock box (perhaps because of concern about excessive heat buildup from the power brick or space or electrical considerations) then you will not be able to separate the video and power wire so that you can run the power wire to a different location. Cable that I purchased a few years ago had 2 wires on each end of the cable that are joined a few inches later just like this wire but the wires remain separate (but attached) along the entire length of cable. I could split the two apart with a knife for any length I chose. In my case my power supply is 10 feet away. In all likelihood the seller would accept a return but with the shipping cost it is probably not worth it for me. I will now have to find a 10 foot DC power cable extension wire and run the extra wire from the lock box to the power brick. Two distinct wires would have been so much easier and less messy. As I said this one is my mistake. I did not know this wire was sold in this format. On the plus side if stealth is part of your setup then a single wire is easier to hide than a double joined wire.

The seller was quick with shipping and had good communication about the purchase.
77 comments72 of 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2012
I purchased this cable for the Zmodo security camera. The security system was originally packaged with 60 ft cables that had thinner rubber sheathing around the cable. These actually were a bit thicker and seemed to be stronger than the original cables. The reason why I needed this cable was that I had accidentally severed the original cable when I stapled the cable to the wall.

However, these cables were able to be stapled without any issues and the signal to the camera was just as clean as the original cables that were almost 1/2 the length.
on October 14, 2010
I bought a security camera and power supply and this item so I could keep an eye on my front door for when packages are left and I'm not home. This is working fine.
on February 12, 2013
I bought the 4 pack of this exact same cable since the price was right & their were plenty of stellar 5-star reviews...

I purchased a CIB All-In-One Security system about a year ago (see my reviews) which came with cables which were thin, but OK. So I expected something similar when I bought these cables. When they arrived, I was a bit disappointed that they were thinner than the free cables I got with my CIB System. To give you an idea, these cables are thinner than the cable on my cheap computer mouse. But I figured they would be OK since the reviews were so good & that they would be easy to hide since they are so thin.

Before I even unwound the cables, I plugged in a camera & power to each one to test them. The 1st cable had excessive static/interference, the 2nd cable had good video but the power did not work, the 3rd cable had no video, but the power worked & the 4th cable worked OK. I even tried each cable again with a different camera & power adapter to be sure the cables were the problem since I could not believe 3 out of 4 were bad.

With 3 out of 4 cables being bad, I am just returning them & will look for something else. I would not buy these cables again even if they cost half of what I paid. The only positive thing I can say is that these cables came with BNC Female to RCA Male adapters.
on April 7, 2011
cable bought with a Video-Secu camara. Works just fine. We even cut it because it was to long and it is made of 3 small wires that we could easily reconnect with all necessary protection
on April 25, 2011
I had read several reviews on these cables and the reoccurring theme was that they were too thin and fragile, so I was concerned about this but the price was right so I took the risk. I ran these cables through my attic and despite every effort to be careful and delicate, this wasn't always possible given the tight space and route through which the cables needed to be placed. I'm happy to say the cables work great, I've had no problems with them at all, the signal is strong and the images are crisp and clear, I feel I got great value and quality for my money.
0Comment12 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 19, 2013
There is no shielding and the wire is hair thin. Not sure what this is useful for... All I get is garbled video. WASTE OF MONEY.
11 comment8 of 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2014
I found the images using this cable versus the included Q-See 60ft cable (from QC588-8E8-1 package) to be distinctly better. I compared an image from both of them and found more color fringing using the shorter Q-See cable, which is the inadvertent red/yellow/green appearing on edges. Now I must decide whether to buy more of these to replace where I had intended to use a bnc connector between two 60ft Q-See cables, muchless possibly replace all my 60ft Q-See cables with this one for better images.
The cable itself works fine, but the connector tolerances leave much to be desired.

The AC power adapter connector are loose when attached. I had to add 3M tape to the connectors to make they would come apart.

The BNC connectors do attach, but I had to use needle nose pliers to remove them.

Save yourself the aggravation and buy better cable.
on October 8, 2015
So This is my first review after shopping on amazon for more than 6 yrs . Never have to return any thing . Well amazon is amazing and 5 starts to them . So I got this cable to put a lorex hd security camera on my back yard as supplied 50 feet cabel is not long enough. I order this product as it is cheap and so many good reviews. So cable arrived in 2 days , again 5 stars to amazon . When I hoked it up to my security camera , the connection point did fit well. But I noticed that Image quality is not good and the camera kept going in night vision even during broad day light . By the way I have 9 hd working camera on this brand new lorex security camera system which has great 1080 p hd images and images are very vivid and beautiful. SO I THOUGH MAY BE THIS CAMERA IS BAD SO I GOT IT HOOKED TO ANOTHER CAMERA ( AS I HAVE 12 HD CAMERA ) AND BOOM THE SAME PROBLEM . SO I CHANGED THE PORT ON THE DVR BUT SAME PROBLEM , IMAGES ARE NOT GOOD AND THEN THERE IS GHOSTING . SO I DECIDED TO CHECK MY CAMERA BY PUTTING THE ORIGIONAL 50 FEET CABEL WHICH CAME WITH LOREX AND HERE WE GO NICE HD IMAGES AND NO GHOSTING WITH THE SAME CAMERA AND SAME PORTS.

ALSO THE QUALITY IS CHEAP AND I AM NOT SURE HOW IT WILL LAST OUT SIDE WHEN TEMPERATURES DROP BELOW FREEZING . WELL YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR . ON THE POSITIVE NOTE I MIGHT HAVE GOTTEN A FAULTY PEACE BUT I AM RETURNING IT .

IF YOU ORDER THE CABLE MAKE SURE YOU TEST IT BEFORE YOU RUN IT :)

I WAS TRYING TO TAKE SCREEN SHOT FROM MY DVR TO SHOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT BUT FOR SOME REASON I CANT