Published on February 1, 2012 by Linda & Jamie

3.0 out of 5 stars Night vision at 50 feet.....No way
Published on January 9, 2012 by R. L. Vance

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it does work to record video, no i am not a rep for the company, February 1, 2012
This review is from: VideoSecu Day Night Vision Outdoor CCD CCTV Security Dome Camera Vandal-proof 3.6mm Wide View Angle Lens 480TVL with Bonus Power Supply 1Z0 (Camera)
Hi, i thought i would throw my 2 cents in because people seem to think a lot of reviews were provided by company reps or something. I agree, there is a lot of peachy statements being made, but I wanted to provide the view from someone who has a home video system setup with 8 camera's, all of them outdoors, and this cam is one at the front of the house. It DOES record, no issue there, plugged it in, and when i get motion, i get recording, my system is NightOwl, and again, yes, it records video just fine. The video daytime is great, not perfect, not $1000 camera resolution, but good enough for sure. The night vision is not top notch, but not shabby either, you can certainly figure out who the individual is, as i have busted friends doing "Boo's" at Halloween (that was fun), and also busted a thief stealing a UPS package, police love the video. So although we may have some bright & cheery people writing reviews or we have some company reps (hey, it could happen), either way, take it from someone who is just a normal individual using the cam's at home, they work. Now, for the bad.... this cam only lasted 1 year before it stopped working, the video on that channel is now off one day on the next, for some reason the cam has issues and needs to be replaced. Is it an issue with all of them? No. But this one didnt last but 1 year, could just be that 1 isolated physical camera. So, make your own decisions, hope this review helps.

3.0 out of 5 stars Night vision at 50 feet.....No way, January 9, 2012
I got the camera up and running after a small clitch. I ordered 2 150ft cables for the camera. The cables came with BNC to RCA connectors but no Female to Female BNC connectors. I bought those at Radio Shack at an extremely high mark up ($4.00) each....Now to the camera. Good picture during day light hours but kind of a ghost shadow in partial sunlight. I'll try some adjustments(moving the camera as no adjustments on the camera itself)....As for the night vision capabilities. I think it said something about 50 to 60 feet with the infered lighting ...NO WAY, 10 to 15 feet tops. I bought this to record my mailbox becauce of vandalism. I tried it from about 50 feet and got no image of the Mailbox, then closer and still no image finally I but it about 10 feet and a good picture emerged. One more drawback is that a car with the lights on(NIGHT VISION AGAIN)Leaves a blur as the lighted car goes by. It may sound like I am slamming this product. I am not. For the price if you wanted close to home security, good. But for detailed night vision at a 50 to 60 foot range forget about it. I also did not mention that I connected the system to my computer using the Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Deluxe system I bought a few months ago on Amazon. This product does VHS tapes to DVD on your computer but also acts as a devise to hook the camera up to record on your PC. Overall review. Good cheap security, will not do 50 feet of night vision , 10 to 15 feet tops maybe 20 with a NEW MOON. Easy to get and running.... follow up to my review.I caught the guys vandalizing my mailbox. The sheriff was able to use the video I had to confront the little boogers. I did not press charges but the camera did its job

4.0 out of 5 stars Does What I Need It To Do, February 24, 2013
There is quite a bit of construction going on in my area right now. I needed a camera that I could easily setup to overlook my front drive to give me some security while I was not home. The camera arrived packaged securely and looked exactly as shown. I spent a lot of time researching cameras and decided to go with this one for two reasons. First, the previous reviews were very complimentary of the camera. Second, the price.

For my setup, I have two baluns connected to the camera. For anyone unfamiliar with the term balun (like I was) these are signal converters that will allow you to transmit the power and video signal across a cat5E or cat6 cable. Which is much cheaper than running power and video as two separate signals. Plus, the baluns are relatively inexpensive. The camera is connected to a pc through a USB video grabber and running Yawcam. This allows me to treat my camera like an IP camera that can be viewed from anywhere with my Android phone or my wife's Iphone, which is what I really wanted. IP cameras that do this all one were consistently reviewed as unreliable and the reliable ones were very expensive. This was a much cheaper alternative, for my needs.

The picture of the camera fits my needs. It is clear to about 25 feet away. From that point on, you can still easily see shapes and colors, but you would not be able to make out a license plate. This camera does have night vision that allows you to see to about that 25 foot mark fairly easily, it will not reach past that on my tests.

The camera dome does get a little warm to the touch. I was worried at first, when I initially set it up. However, this seems to be a characteristic of the unit. It is still functioning fine after two weeks of continuous use.

I really wanted to see how a security camera would fit into my needs before jumping all in on a more expensive unit. Somewhere down the road I may upgrade from this one. If something happens to it, then I am not out that much expense. I would purchase one again in the immediate future, as long as it remains the cheapest alternative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid device. Superior for the price., April 8, 2011
This is one of a number of devices I have purchased for a variety of modestly sized security systems. I find the images during daylight to be excellent for the application (access and egress points) and the nighttime IR works surprisingly well. I would commend these to a buyer who needs 'bang for the buck', has some modest exterior application issues (wind, salt air, rain). Would suggest a dome for snow/icy conditions.

Easy to install, works from the moment it is plugged in, with no hitches, problems, or issues. The components are sturdy and I expect to use more of these devices in the future. The 420 TVL deliver good facial recognition, the color is good, but the night capabilities are especially good for the number of IR LEDs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, October 29, 2012
Excellent quality. I used this for my owl security system. Installation was fast with the existing cables. I even used the owl's power supply. The camera is of good quality, it gives me about a 40 ft wide view and I can see clearly over 50ft away during day time and a good 25 feet at nigh. If I turn on my flood lights, I can see as good as day. The picture is very clear. I bought this as a test. Now, I will upgrade all my cameras with these. Well worth it. My local surveillance shop wanted $77.00 for a similar camera. Delivery was extremely fast.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well. Does what it's supposed to do., June 10, 2011
The camera was easy to hook up. The picture looks good night and day. It has more of a fish eye lens which allows you to get a wider viewing angle which I actually like. Have these installed on the house and have no complaints. It's not going to give you HD video quality but you can certainly make out what you're looking at.

1.0 out of 5 stars Should have spent more money, September 17, 2012
Installed this camera to add to my network. Lasted 3 months then developed blurred spot in center. Will stay away from video secure as my Lorex with the most exposure to the Sun works perfect after 4 years.

1.0 out of 5 stars Had to return, November 27, 2011
I received the item as advertised except the included wrench was not there. I connected it up to a dvr and there was no problem interfacing it. The picture however was extremely dark during the daytime. I tried it in a dark room and the infrared worked okay but daylight was just too much for this unit. I had to return it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend, December 27, 2012
Make sure if you have a wireless N router you buy the one that supports N. Watched vidoes on you tube (Hamster) and read instructions on Foscam web site for about 5 hours before it arrived. Once it arrived I had it up and running over the internet in about 1 hour. I still cannot get the email function to work when it senses motion and sends you a picture. Have tried everything. Seems to be a familiar problem. I put it at my mothers house. She is 83 years old and I can keep an eye on her from 800 miles away. This is a really cool product. Works great so far. Plan on getting more in the future. Tech support called back after 2 hours from leaving a message for a few questions I had. Picture is excellent. Pick up sounds real nice also.

5.0 out of 5 stars CCD camera (metal body)., January 27, 2011
ALAN "Master" (ATLANTA - GA - USA) - See all my reviews
Perfect camera for low light use,image quality better than a Cmos cameras.Easy install ,Always use a good quality cable,Don't use thin BNC cable on long distances, interference may appear.

Rate and Discover Movies