on November 19, 2012
I'll make it simple: This device doesn't have enough power to play Netflix.

If you are going to build a new, cool product you have to do it right. This device is awesome in many other ways. I turned it on at work, configured it as a secondary, touch screen monitor and couldn't wait to get home and watch Netflix on it with my wife.

It's a neutered All-in-one. If Viewsonic had paired it with say a 1.5 Ghz processor instead of 1.0 Ghz it would have passed the minimum requirements for apps like Netflix and a few others.

I would have gladly paid the extra cost to have the device this thing promised to be but isn't.

UPDATE: Amazon's appstore is a valid substitute in most cases for Google's own Play Store. I was able to install Netflix from Amazon and it is running smoothly.

UPDATE 2: ViewSonic came through on their promise and updated their firmware to include a fix for the Google Play incompatibility issue. WooHoo!! One can now download Netflix and alike directly from Google Play.

Thank you to ViewSonic for the quick response and Amazon as well.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Dear Valued Customer,

We are currently looking into this matter with Google to ensure our customers are able to enjoy the full gamut of available apps through the play store. In the meantime, you are able to access these apps through other app services such as the Amazon Appstore to download the apps you normally enjoy on the Android platform.

Netflix - Amazon Appstore

on November 16, 2012
Don't get me wrong - I love it! However, I am bummed that I can't install a lot of key programs that I was expecting to in order to flesh out my kitchen and living room environment. For instance, I can't install Spotify or Pandora or Facebook. That came as a big surprise when the Google Play Store says this device is not supported for those apps! :(. However, I am still able to use Google's Play Music and Google Plus and a bunch of other apps to get my most basic needs of music, calendar, news, and virtual shopping list met.

I hoping that this is merely a temporary pain of being an early adopter and that all these issues can be resolved with a software update in the near future (Viewsonic, are you listening?). I will rate this a five once I can install the apps that I expected to get with an Android system.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Dear Valued Customer,

As a follow up, we have addressed these app compatibility issues and all VSD220 products shipping from mid 2013 have the ability to download, install and run the most popular apps from the Google Play Store. These include Netflix, Facebook, Spotify, and Pandora as well. If your VSD220 originally came with an older firmware version, you can simply perform an over the air update by clicking on the "System Update" icon from the apps menu to bring the unit up to the latest ED12 version.

on November 1, 2013
I have been in to Personal computers since their birth in the 70's. After using the most recent crop of Android smart phones and Android tablets, I decided that our family PC, a shared Windows 7 notebook, might be able to be replaced by an All-in-One Android system. I purchased the VSD220 with the explicit intent of replacing our family's dying shared 17" Notebook.

I was initially impressed by the sleek design and the fact that it powered up flawlessly. The display was crisp and bright and the on-screen keyboard and touch screen was very responsive.

So I began the task of setting it up with the apps necessary to replace the PCs software and functions.

Many of the included apps served some basic needs, others were downloaded from the Google Play store.

I was soon disappointed to learn that the Amazon Prime Streaming Video service requires Adobe Flash, but Amazon has made it next to impossible to allow this service work on Android. I even tried to side loaded an earlier archived version of Adobe Flash and Dolphin HD Browser, which I found detailed on a forum page, only to be stymied. So no Amazon Prime streaming on this system :-(

I found that the Archos Video Player App was able to successfully install. (I have found a few apps which the Google Play Store said were incompatible with the system ?) It is able to access and play our entire library of ripped DVDs and Windows Media Center Recorded TV shows which are being served up on a Windows 7 share.

All in all this Android PC is performing almost flawlessly. There have been a couple of times when the on-screen keys did not want to be recognized correctly, requiring multiple attempts. A reboot resolved the issue. And a system update appeared to have resolved the others.

Mysteriously, there have been three occasions when the volume playback dropped so low that even at full volume setting the music playing could barely be heard. I had to power the system off to bring the volume level back up. I hope that does not continue to occur. It seems to have only begun after the System update.

The one major flaw is that this version of Android v4.0, does not allow the creation of separate user profiles for the teenagers and the adults. Two teens and two adults, all of us living on one single user profile, may be a deal breaker. I may have to upgrade to the new VSD241 which is running Jellybean, just to fix the user profile limit issue. I have read in a forum that ViewSonic has no intentions of upgrading the System on the VSD220 from v4.0 IceCream Sandwich to v4.2 JellyBean. I wish I had discovered that before purchasing this system.

There have also been a couple of times while reading the newspaper or a magazine, in the browser, (it's really nice to be able to see facing pages on one screen), when the page turns did not respond until after multiple attempts. I am hoping that it is due to the Wireless "G" connection not supplying enough bandwidth. I am upgrading to Wireless "N" in hopes of resolving any refresh issues with heavy graphic web sites. If it is bandwidth related then that should fix all of the web site refresh and lag issues. Hopefully it is not due to the TI's Dual-Core processor just not being able to keep up. That would mean a $185.00 upgrade to the VSD241 with it's NVIDIA® Tegra® 3 Quad-Core processor.

I have purchased a Logitech wireless keyboard, as extended typing with the on-screen keyboard quickly became tiresome. I have also installed a 32GB Micro SD to accommodate the hundreds of music files and other documents which the family needs to access.

Now I just need to figure out how to sync music files from an Android app to various USB connected MP3 Players.

The Google Cloud Print service printing to our HP ePrint ready printer solved the printing issues.

UPDATE 11/15/13
Unfortunately I am returning this unit and purchasing a Windows 8 23" All in one.

After one week of use by the entire family there were just too many functions which Windows can do which this system would not.

It would make a perfect kitchen system if the browser would resolve the web sites fast enough, but it is too slow.

The touch screen accuracy seems to get worse the longer the system is on and running.

I installed a new N router and the internet refresh speed did not get any better. It must be a limit of the OS version and the processor.

I was looking at upgrading to the newer VSD241, which is running JellyBean, but I was able to purchase a Windows 8 All in one for $8 less than the VSD241 which is currently $515.

So here are the limiting issues that we found with the VSD220;
Slow web site refresh, processor\video related.
Touch screen inaccurate, found the touch calibration was off by 1/4" to 1/2".
The multi touch pinch & zoom is inconsistent & worsens the longer the unit is on.
WiFi unable to connect faster than 75mbps.
Audio volume mysteriously drops to nearly inaudible levels, requiring a reboot to resolve.
No CD Rom - so no way to rip CDs or play CDs
Requires you to be a programer to configure music syncronization of USB connected MP3 players, no app for that.
This version of Android does not allow multiple user profiles. This means all family members share the same space and configurations, no privacy or user customizaton.
on January 5, 2013
The unit replaces one of our Window based PC's, taking up about a third of the space. And to this end, I am we'll satisfied. The unit performs adequately for email, web surfing, playing music etc.

The reason I cannot give it higher marks is the software incompatibilities. I own several apps for my ASUS tablet that in turn I tried to load to the 220. I would get an error from Google's store, but could then obtain the app from Amazon. The inverse is also true. Between the two, I have managed to load most of the apps I wanted, but, it is frustrating having to go between the two to accomplish it. The store that Viewsonic offers has issues's as well. The one that comes to mind is the MyMusic app that is offered with the pre-loaded apps. It sends me to the viewsonic store, but then I get an error trying to obtain it. The store tells me I have already purchased the app and will not allow another download and that the app is in my applications. It is not.

Pre-load apps are really just trials, and cannot be deleted? OfficePro 6 is an app that I have already purchased, so I wish to delete the trial. The option to uninstall is not available. So now I have two icons with the same name. I tried a factory reset, but the trials come back.

Fix the store, allow uninstallation of the pre-loads, and figure out why one store says the app is incompatible while the other allows installation, and my rating would change to at least a 4.

Bottom line, hardware good, software needs work.
on November 8, 2012
Easy hookup, simple to use. Very revolutionary. Wifi works great. Voice recognition. Better than most computers that I've owned. It's going to be fun making it an integral part of my home entertainment system.
on January 8, 2013
I am using this as a touchscreen for a lighting PC. It refused to calibrate with my PC and I am unable to find any driver downloads. I called support and waiting on hold and still no response. Very disappointed.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Dear Valued Customer,

In order to enable the touch feature please make sure that you have connected the micro usb (VSD220 back) to the computer's USB using the cable provided with your display. Once you have connected the USB cable Windows will automatically recognize and install the touch drivers. We also suggest you calibrate the touch screen afterwards in Windows as well. This is assuming you are using a Windows device and were having issues with the touch functionality.

If you have taken these steps already but still haven't been able to use the touch functionality, please provide us with your ticket number that you have received from our customer service department and we will have someone reach out to you.

We hope this helps with your issue, and we thank you for choosing ViewSonic.

on January 17, 2013
UPDATE 6/1/13: Latest Viewsonic Firmware Android update 4.0.4 now has the Google Play store, and is compatible with the VSD220

Now Viewsonic, don't stop here.... give use Jelly Bean !

I got the Viewsonic VSD220 because it was simply a giant Android 4.0 touchscreen monitor that requires A/C plug in. I does this well. If you want to use it as a monitor, or a windows 8 touchscreen, then its just a bonus. Sure google play store should work out of the box, as was advertised, but Amazon is just as good. Did you really think that a non-HD android app would run well, at all, or even viewable on a 1920x1080 screen?

If you want a large android touchscreen tablet (albeit plug in), then its a great device.. anything else you can think of using it for, if it works great.
If you want a big Windows-8 touchscreen tablet, look at the Sony Vaio 20" (it has batteries!), but of course its $1000

You may never need it, but I will comment that tech support may not have the most knowledgeable folks... Before I purchased it, (had only been out a short time), I called and asked what was the max size micro SD card it would take.. after lengthy time on the phone, I think the tech just guessed as I was told 8GB...(wrong)... if they don't even know that, not sure how reliable other advice will be.
on December 15, 2012
I think that this item is well priced. The only issue I have so far is that for some reason the volume doesn't seem To work right for every situation. For example: Pandora is extremely low even when srs is selected and the volume is set at max on the settings and as well on pandora itself. Some sites like youtube are also extremely low while on games like angry birds the sound level is more than appropiate. I believe a few firmware updates are needed and this device will be a neat one.

For someone like me that is loosing the sight, this is a great tool to use. It could use a faster processor but i guess it needed to leave an area for improvement. I also assume this was done in purpose to keep an affordable price.

I can see myself buying a few of this devices to place them around the house. For example: near the exit door displaying memos, weather or appointments. In the kitchen instead of a tv to not only watch netflix or any other streaming media, listening to music or search for recipes. In the living room so that friends visiting can use it for internet access When a topic arise. Etc

I hope a firmware update is on the works soon to nail all this volume anoyances.

This review was done using this awesome device.
on December 22, 2012
I was looking for a large touch screen monitor for my Windows 8 machine and happened on this. Wonderful! For the same price as a monitor, you get a fully functional tablet (granted a very large one.) As a monitor, it is at least as good as the one I replaced. Bright and good color. The touch screen is very responsive. Only complaint is that the bezel should be flush with the screen to enable some win 8 gesture commands.

I am writing this from my Windows machine. I'll be touching the screen to submit it. After that, Angry birds on 22 inches is a great diversion. It's also nice to be able to check my email without having to start up the full computer. Great product.
on July 29, 2013
I needed this product for one app and one app only, the Canon Remote app. We are currently shooting the Canon 6D which has built in wireless. The camera and the monitor/android computer had no problem with sync and we only used the view image portion of the app. We used the setup at an event, military ball, and had rave reviews for the product. The camera and the android system worked flawlessly throughout the night. Each of the couples were able to see a large image of themselves and gave their approval on the spot. We also print on location with event printers, so each couple was satisfied with the image before printing - no issues at all. Previously, the client would come around to the back of the camera and would preview the image on the 3" LCD on the back of the camera, and at times there would be issues. However, there were two unusual issues at the beginning with the setup. At first the Canon app would not install - not compatible. I thought all was lost until the system did an update and all went well and the app installed with no problem. The only other peculiarity was with the Canon app. When the app fires up, the screen goes into a vertical format. Once a picture is taken and selected on the screen (which is in the vertical format), the screen is auto rotated to horizontal. So during the process I had to look at the thumbnail images sidewise, and select the image which flipped the screen and image to a horizontal view. It's a bit cumbersome but with practice it worked great. We are now in the process of reviewing the system and see if we will purchase another one. Often we run two setups at these events, so two of these android systems will probably be in our kitbag.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...