ViewSonic VA2037M is part of the VA or "Value" series of monitors. Other monitor product lines from ViewSonic include Graphics, Professional, Entertainment, Multi-touch and Smart Displays.

Since I already own a ViewSonic monitor which is 10 years old and performs flawlessly with heavy use, picking ViewSonic again was a "no brainer".

This monitor comes with a VGA cable and an audio cable for the built-in speakers. To connect the monitor to my computer I purchased a DVI-D (Dual Link) digital cable. Assembly of the base or stand was easy. Upon system startup of my new computer; the computer configured the driver and monitor resolution correctly and I did not need to use the ViewSonic CD-Rom at all. The resolution is crisp (1600 X 900) and my desktop background photo of a mountain scene is stunning, beautiful and crystal clear. I adjusted the brightness and the contrast and I was done. I did not test out the monitor's integrated stereo speakers (Power: 2 Watts) as I opted to install a Creative 5.1 surround sound speaker system instead.

To me this monitor represents quality and a great product for the price or put more simply "the biggest bang for your buck".

Durability - I don't know if this new monitor will last as long as my old one has but, I can say that the VA2037M comes with a 3 year warranty. A note on durability: Reducing brightness will save energy and prolong the monitor's lamp life.

To me the only thing I would like to see improved on is the front control panel button symbols (2, down arrow, up arrow, 1 and power) used to access the display control screen (On-screen Display). I think these symbols are too small and not bright enough.

Some features of this monitor are:

TCO Certified
Energy Star certification
Eco-mode - Energy saving, lowers power consumption by reducing the brightness
True black color - The LED's can turn off
Automatic aspect ratio adjustment
Wall mount or desk stand
LED backlit monitor - saves energy, mercury free
CD Rom disk - User Guide + ICM (Image Color Matching) file for photo editing & color printing
Color adjust modes - sRGB, Bluish, Cool, Native, Warm and User Color
Dynamic Contrast - contrast ratio enhancement
Auto Power Off
Anti-Glare glass surface
Highest grade panels - Glass & LED lighting
TFT active matrix LCD - for wider viewing angles
Great technical support
Comes packaged in a nice box with a handle for carrying
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 30, 2013
I bough this for my grandparents so that they could have a home computer. The built in speakers are a nice feature because it is one less thing that they will have to deal with. This being said, the sound quality is lackluster (although what can you expect from built in speakers) and the volume control isn't elegant. On the plus side, the monitor has a place on the back so that it can be mounted which is nice. All in all, this monitor is exactly what it claims to be - a simple monitor that works well and doesn't pretend to be anything special.
on July 6, 2013
I already had a ViewSonic monitor for my mac, but my husband needed a larger monitor than what his macbook had. I checked Amazon, and they had the ViewSonic Model VA2037M for less than $100.00, so I ordered it. Free shipping, fast delivery, and best of all - ViewSonic quality - which as far as I'm concerned, is the best for the money! Easy to connect, and fantastic display, I'm more than satisfied with this monitor. ViewSonic Monitor VA2037M-LED 20 inch Screen LED-lit Monitor
on August 26, 2014
This is a simple and inexpensive monitor - no USB ports - just a basic monitor. I like the "green" aspect of it. The picture seems to be rather good. I just got this monitor, so I cannot say how long it will last, but it has some rather flimsy plastic parts. Some of the questions people asked about this was whether the monitor tilted, swiveled or moved up/down. All it does is tilt. Some people say it doesn't, and I can see why. The lock nut holding the tilt mechanism on the back was too tight. We had to remove the plastic casing as if we were going to do a wall mount (follow those instructions by removing the 3 screws. One is visible on the back but kind of deep set on the back of the stand/monitor. To see the other 2, you have to separate the monitor from the stand, then look inside the plastic holder on the back of the monitor). Then, you will see the metal tilt mechanism. You'll need a metric #10 mm closed/box wrench to loosen the lock nut slightly. After that, it should tilt, but you have to grab the monitor from the top and bottom and tilt it slowly so you don't break the plastic.

Edit to add: The actual set up was easy. I just removed my old monitor and plugged this in where the old one had been. It came with a disc that had the user guide and set up. I don't know what the disc installed as the monitor seemed fine before and unchanged after the set up ran.
on November 14, 2013
The color/clarity of this monitor are excellent but the stand is pretty basic (tilt only, no height or swivel adjustment). The built in speakers are a nice touch but are equivalent to those in a decent laptop; ok for an online news story, but not sufficient for music or movies.
on August 9, 2013
PROS:
1. Very easy to hookup 2 part base no screws involved,just use common sense.
2. Full User's Manual is on the disc that is included,easy to read and understand in PDF,Adobe Reader form.
3. When this first comes on it says in Red,ViewSonic and lights up at the bottom in Blue,nice touch.
4. Does have a good picture even when resolution is turned down and using VGA cable.
5. This monitor doesn't get warm or hot to the touch perfect,seems to have a lot of ventilation openings everywhere and that's good.
6. Also this had a reasonable price on it with free shipping through Amazon.
7. Menu buttons on the bottom are very easy to operate and understand once you get the hang of it.
8. Has up and down swivel movement but not sideways unless you turn the stand.

CONS:
1. I didn't like the 1600x900 resolution that they recommend at first,very teeny-tiny icons on the task bar,my eyes said what?

To fix this(Right click on desktop--Click on Properties--Click on Appearance--Click on Advanced--under item click on Caption Buttons--Change Size to the right--Click Ok--Click Apply--Click Ok,this will change the size of your Icons by the start Button and also the System Tray where the clock and date are located.)

Another thing you can do is (Right click on Desktop--Properties--Settings-Advanced--Change DPI Setting from Normal Size to Large Size,120DPI--Ok--Apply--Ok--Ok--then Reboot,)doing this will increase the text on web pages etc:and your eyes will thank you.

I just learned these tricks of the trade myself and i've been doing this since 2002,this is with WinXP.

2. I too find that the power button is too close to the other menu buttons and sometimes i hit that by mistake,no big deal.

3. I was hoping that the Auto Power Off feature was,if you went to bed with no activity the monitor would shut itself off,not so.
If you shut your pc down for the night then 3 minutes later your monitor which is now Orange in color will go to no color at all and shut off so i was kind of disappointed in that but i can live with it,that feature has to be Check-Marked through the Menu.

4. No wall mounting hardware at all with this,have to purchase separately.

Here is my story and review on this monitor.

I just hope that this will last for quite sometime but i said that about the latter monitor too and look what happened to that one.
I would still recommend this monitor to anyone looking for a good one to get it.
Mine came in 3 days from Charleston,TN by UPS in a pre-printed monitor box with a top white plastic carrying handle.
I had to drop from a 22" to a 20" BIG Difference,but that's life i also went with the 5 star reviews and made up my mind from there before deciding on this.
Also went from a LCD monitor to a LED monitor not by choice,big change for me.

Before this i was using a Hanns-G Hi221 Vietnam 22" monitor which finally quit on me.
I could see that the Hanns was failing almost like,and this is going to sound morbid,like a dying person.
Display normal,then slow,then fast,then way slow,then nothing,no display at all and hot to the touch.
According to the internet when you have a flashing green power button and no display that means an operation on said monitor.
Meaning open it up and do a 13-14 capacitors replacement soldering job on it and take out the swelled/fat ones.
I've never been that good at soldering and i can't find anyone who works on pc monitors anymore,they all work on Laptops and such can't say as i blame them though it's the in thing nowadays.
I will never buy another Hanns monitor ever again i should also point out it was great when i first got it.
I had to do all my viewing through my tv monitor and shutting down the pc when making the switch so i could see what i was doing.
Which i have into my pc to tv jacks through my video card don't think that wasn't fun?
Also i used my mouse magnifier so i could see a little better to see my stuff on the internet that i'm interested in before shutting down with no monitor use at all except through the tv monitor only,glad i had that.
Still missed my monitor though,any monitor for that matter.
I was waiting and hoping for time on this because i ordered some DVI-D cables and of course this monitor.
Monitor came,now waiting for my cables should be any day now.

Anyway:

I first took down my old monitor after shutting the pc down then hooked up the base to this monitor,hooked up the power cord,and the VGA cable then turned back on my pc.
Had to fire this puppy up with the included VGA cable not what i wanted to do as soon as i get my DVI-D cables i ordered i'll switch to that for a better picture this will be my first experience using DVI-D.
I turned Brightness down to and made some other setting adjustments through the setup menu to suit me,i'm satisfied with picture.
I wished that the menu buttons were on the right side but it wouldn't be very handy and fair for the lefties out there so i can see that.
Ran the disc which has all the info on it,registered it,downloaded drivers etc: just as a precautionary measure.
on June 26, 2013
ViewSonic has never let me down and this is just another example. Easy setup and very little adjustment needed to start using this monitor.
on May 28, 2014
We wanted to switch to 16x9 screens and, at the same time, I decided to put dual monitors at all of my workstations in my business. I wanted a screen that was up to the task and would impress our staff. We had previously used genuine-Lenovo screens but their prices were just too high and I needed too many monitors in a short period of time. I bought a pair of this model and a pair of an Acer screen. There was no comparison in both quality and value. The ViewSonic screens are attractive, well-built, and fit the bill for my project. So, after a brief trial of the Acer and these ViewSonics, I purchased thirty of these monitors for use in my business. Yes, THIRTY. I have a dual monitor setup at each desk and a separate twin arm setup. I do not use any of the ViewSonic base at all. I use the built-in universal screw mounts on the back and aftermarket arms. It works great.

The screen is beautiful. The colors are rich and work well for our use. It's an office environment, so there's not a lot of graphics, gaming, movies, etc. We use them for office use. Even so, they do just fine for any use we've tried. Our staff are very impressed with the improvement, both in the quality of the screen as well as having twin screens instead of one. At this price, I'm literally getting two screens for what one comparable Lenovo would have cost. They don't "match" our Lenovo computers, but it's about function for us and the ViewSonic screens fit the bill. I bought mine when they were just $100 each but they're still well worth it at the current price.

Not one of the thirty I purchased have to date have had a single issue whatsoever. They've been flawless. Each one worked right out of the box and set up perfectly.

The only single flaw I can think of in the screens has nothing to do with the screens but the built-in speakers. The built-in speakers just aren't loud enough to really function as true speakers, but it's nice to have those built in so the users can hear system alerts and such. I wouldn't use them for watching movies or listening to music, not that we allow that at work. If you're going to need "real" speakers, get a separate set of Logitech speakers for around $10 on Amazon.
on July 23, 2013
Probably this is the best monitor I have ever used for the price I got it for with no compromise on the quality.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I've had this monitor now for eighteen months, used every day for work, gaming and streaming for generally 12-14 hours a day -- and so far, it's going strong. In terms of colour and brightness, I like this monitor a lot -- I use two monitors, this one and an ASUS that I've had for close to four years, and this one is clearly superior in terms of clarity and picture quality. I always choose to use it ahead of the ASUS when I'm streaming video -- and the 1600 x 900 resolution is a good selling point there, as it's a fit to the 16:9 resolution used by most widescreen TV shows and many widescreen movies (and even with the super-wide resolutions used by things like the Lord of the Rings, you'll still get smaller letterboxing here). The other monitor is a 1440 x 900, and although it's not bad at all, it IS nice to have the video fill up the whole of the screen sometimes! I know some people prefer to have the super-high-resolution monitors, but personally, I find this resolution is very nice (it's right in the middle of 720p and 1080p, if you're looking for a rough idea of what you'll be getting). And it's a good price, too!

So, all in all -- it's bright, it's clear, the resolution is nice, it's still going strong after 18 months of very solid use, and it's a great price. What's not to like?

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations