5.0 out of 5 stars A great projector

3.0 out of 5 stars This works but get something else
Published 4 months ago by P. MSakamoto

5.0 out of 5 stars A great projector, July 21, 2013
K. Norris (Fairfax, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA DLP Projector, 3000 Lumens, PC 3D-Ready, 120Hz (Office Product)
I purchased this projector to be used at functions for a social club. We generally show DVD's in a room that is only slightly darkened, with the projector about 15' from the screen, and club members view it from 20 - 50 ft away. So we needed a projector with some muscle to get an image large and crisp enough to be enjoyed from the back of the room. I researched lots of projectors, and this one seemed to offer the best quality for a reasonable price. We weren't disappointed - the image is about 8' wide and very sharp. It has lots of fancy features which we probably won't use, but the basics are easy enough to figure out. My one gripe is that there is no operating manual - only a CD with the manual on it, which might be convenient if you have a dedicated laptop you are using with the projector, but useless if you are using it with a DVD player.
If you are a first-time projector buyer (like I was), I recommend the following link, which I found on the Radio Shack website:[...] They had a very nice explanation of what all these specification acronyms actually mean in terms of a good picture. In a nutshell:
Lumens - higher number means brighter picture in a less than dark room (very important for us)
Resolution - the fineness of detail (i.e. high-def - see the website for details) This projector isn't really high-def, but it seems you have pay twice the price for the next higher level.
Contrast ratio - higher number means a greater difference between the lights and darks - (important since our DVD's are shot in low lighting)
Throw ratio - how big the picture will be - a smaller number actually means a bigger picture. The Viewsonic website has a nifty calculator that helps you see how big your picture will be at a given distance.
Hope this helps the non-techies out there! Happy viewing!

4.0 out of 5 stars projector, September 7, 2013
very good product.
pros
1. excellent picture quality.
2. all computer files and dvd can be viewed using this projector.
3. 2 computers can be connected to input and one to output.
4. dvd player can be connected and viewed. very good picture quality.
5. for beginners, very user friendly, just connect yellow cord of video to projector ,adjust zoom and focus.

cons
1.no hdmi port.
2.just small mini mono speaker is built in which is not good quality for music.
3. red and white sound cord of your dvd player must go to your external sound system for better sound quality.
4. remote is not lighted.
5. sound cord of your lap top must go to your external sound system for better sound quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Product! Would buy again!, October 18, 2013
queenrez (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
HOW I USE IT

I conduct numerous workshops, meetings and gatherings in the midst of my organization. I needed a light-weight, easy to use product that had good to excellent picture quality; and that was easily transportable.

HOW IT ARRIVED

The Projector arrived packaged in a standard box encased by Styrofoam, and wrapped in a typical protective covering. It shipped by UPS ground and arrived on schedule.

My First Use

When it arrived, I wanted to make sure the projector worked properly and had all the cables needed to power it up and connect to my PC. There are a number of thorough reviews here so I am going to focus specifically on my experience right out of the box.
I unpacked it, powered it up and connected it to my PC. Without having to do anything else -- accept adjust the height to meet my 80-in screen - I turned on my PC and was EXTREMELY surprised by the high, picture quality and vivid colors, even in a well lit room. After closing the blinds and turning off the lights, I was even more astounded -- especially given the price and my level of expectation. It was BEYOND my expectations.

I decided to test things out on my husband and kids. So, I logged into my Netflix account and begin playing the latest episode of Power Rangers. My son immediately thought that I had set this up "just for him" -- and wanted pop corn, and for me to leave the room so he could watch a movie. My husband began talking about movie night with the family, and I knew I had chosen well.

The biggest highlight for me, however, was that all I had to do was turn it on using the remote, turn on my PC and adjust the height. From setup to sitting down watch Power Rangers took about 13 minutes. The light didn't have to heat up and I didn't have to look at the initial instructions a single time.

I do, however, plan to become familiar with the functionality of the projector and learn to use the remote to make the best of my experiences. The other reviews on this site cover the "details" very well, so... I didn't think it was necessary to restate those things.

I am VERY SATISFIED with my purchase and experience. Great product and even better price.

3.0 out of 5 stars This works but get something else, July 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I found this to be an average offering; perhaps even a bit sub-average given the price. For my testing, I compared the ViewSonic to my personal Epson H430A. I also took the ViewSonic to work and to my church to both compare it to the projectors there and to see how it performed in different environments. Adding all of that to my review of its features has lead to this three star review. It is not horrible, but I think you can do better for the price.

Pros:
* It claims to have 3000 lumens, and comparing it to some other 3000 lumen projectors, I'd say it's at least close to that.
* It is relatively quiet. The fan and DLP rotor noise are not objectionable.
* It has decent contrast, but not outstanding.

Cons:
* Claims to be able to do 3D movie projection, but it does not have DVI or HDMI inputs. It just has VGA. Hmmm, I don't recall seeing any BluRay players with VGA outputs. They expect us to always use a PC that can send the 3D format via VGA? I immediately want to say this is more or less bogus. It's technically correct, but practically a lie. I want to be able to avoid using a PC to see movies on my home theatre.
* It is not really intended to be moved around at all. I think they actually believed we'd want to mount a projector that only has VGA inputs (well, it has composite video too … ugh!) to our ceiling for our retro home theatre. It's not that it's big or heavy, it just has almost no portable features.
* No case
* Thick and clunky form factor vs. shorter slimmer for carrying. So, not meant to be carried even though it's light enough.
* Only one direction of keystone adjustment (vertical). My cheaper Epson has two, both H and V.
* Artsy but harder to use diagonal. flush mounted buttons. You have to look at the labels to use them vs. the clearly marked and ergonomically laid out controls on the Epson.
* $100 more than the Epson, but no better picture and worse controls and flexibility.
* The Zoom is so short as to be worthless except for minor adjustments in a fixed setup.
* If the projector is sitting on a table, and the front elevation foot is all the way retracted, the picture is aimed high. In fact, it is too high. On other projectors, you would not get the picture this high on the wall without extending the front elevation foot all the way out.
* The front foot has no quick release button. You have to unscrew it until it is the right height and then reverse the process when you go to put it away. Of course, since there is not case, maybe that doesn't matter? :-0
* The back feet do not adjust at all. So, if your table or stand is leaning left or right, you must put crumpled paper or something under the projector or the table to take out leveling issues.
* From the above, I am gathering that this projector was not made with tables in mind?
* No HDMI (did I say this already?) input.
* No DVI input (I did say that already).
* No lens cover. The Epson not only has a nice sliding door that not only covers the lens, but shuts the lamp off and puts the unit in standby.
* No style - it looks so 1998 ….

OK, so maybe I'm being harsh, but there is no way I'd pay my own money for this (It's a Vine sample). As I said before, I own an Epson and am very happy with it for $100 less than the ViewSonic. I get an equal or better picture, two directional keystone, lens cover with automatic standby mode, better ergonomics for the controls, and on and on. My home unit has VGA inputs, but then again I use it for presentations and not movies. Epson did not make big claims like ViewSonic about what it can do, either.

So, this projector did work OK in day lighted rooms. The ambient light still needs control, but the ViewSonic was still contrasty enough to be easily seen in both our church and in a well lit conference room at work. It is still not a miracle, however.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, But Not Quite Intuitive, December 9, 2013
T. Kuch "www.terencekuch.com" (Falls Church, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent entry-level projector that should be all that a small business or community association needs. As recently as five years ago this would be a 'dream machine' costing thousands, but technology does progress, and gets cheaper. I have no complaints at all, but if you buy one, (a) Download the user guide from the ViewSonic website immediately - you will need it. (b) Be aware that if you want to use the remote control, you have to be IN FRONT of the projector, not behind it - this doesn't seem to be documented. (c) The user guide says the following, but it's easy to overlook: If you want to control the show from your laptop, as most people do, then you will need to connect the laptop to the projector using a USB-to-mini-USB cable (not provided, but easy to buy at any tech shop). So that will be two cables connecting the projector to your laptop. (d) Also, the power cord is three-prong, so carry along an adapter just in case your projection-location has only two-slot wall outlets or will offer you a two-slot extension cord. (e) Speaking of which, take an extension cord along. I do think this is right, instead of giving you a 25-food power cord to take along whether you need it or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, May 11, 2013
Very good product. Works well and is easy to use. Everything that I expected. I like their website too that tells you how far back it can go.

4.0 out of 5 stars ViewSonic PJD5132, October 10, 2013
goodguy (Boston, MA, USA) - See all my reviews
We needed a few projectors for Sunday school classrooms, PJD5132 is a perfect choice, so far we are very happy with the product.

Pros
- Solid build quality, enough features, inexpensive
The projector is well built, and because it does not offer some of the latest bells and whistles such as HDMI connectivity, 1080p resolution, etc, it is offered at a very good price. Perfect for our classroom needs. We use them at Sunday school classrooms, where they are connected to laptops and iPads.

- Display quality
Image projected are crystal sharp and super bright... can't ask for any better, very satisfied.

- Relatively light weight
Not the smallest and lightest like those micros but those pocket types are pretty much lacking in resolution and brightness

- Other
Using standard computer power cable and connector. We had Vivitek projectors bought a few years ago, which use non standard power cable and connector. The connector on the projector was pretty flimsy, we've had a couple broken ones. Power cable was also proprietary, which was very difficult to replace when lost. So this time in our purchase we paid specific attention to not buy something that uses non standard power cable/connector.

Cons
- Does not include carrying case
Maybe I'm used to buying projectors with carrying cases, especially the type that are for office/school use. Carrying these without a case is cumbersome at best. What makes it worse, the separately sold ViewSonic carrying case for this model has been out of stock. It's been a few weeks but we are still using projectors without carrying cases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Structure to Function, September 14, 2013
This is fantastic for movie night at our gym. Love the projector and it hooks up perfectly to the laptop. It's great. Just hang a sheet and project the movie and you're set. It also comes in a nice bag that is easily stored.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent projector for light rooms and trouble free connection to a Mac., April 1, 2014
Excellent contrast and capacity to project in light rooms! Was a life saver to present my finishing talk and is by far the easiest projector I've ever used connected to my Mac. Just plug it and go, no need to reboot the computer or pray to God to make it work.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm returning it because what I wanted was something easy and flexible to hook up to various media for ..., August 16, 2014
I wanted to save others some time and effort on this product, because I spent a day running around for connecting cables. I wanted to hook this up to my DVD player, but the only port out of the DVD player is HDMI, and despite buying an HDMI-to-VGA connector, it didn't work. I don't have a laptop and neither my Dell desktop nor my Apple desktop has a VGA port. I resorted to my mini iPad with a lightning connection, which worked, but then wouldn't authorize me to play the movies I OWN on my iPad on the projector. (But curiously it did allow me to stream from Netflix.) And as others have said, you have to have an external speaker, but the only way we could make it work is when I borrowed my neighbor's laptop and a) hooked up the VGA and b) plugged a sound cord from a portable speaker into the headphones port in his computer (with a male-to-male connection). I'm returning it because what I wanted was something easy and flexible to hook up to various media for outdoor movie nights, and for my purposes it didn't work.

BUT, the picture is fantastic, as others have noted, even in a room with some natural light, and even when we tried it on a sheet outside at twilight. Really bright and surprising. I'll wait for the version of this projector with the HDMI port to come down in price and will definitely buy it then.