5.0 out of 5 stars A great projector
Published 14 months ago by K. Norris

1.0 out of 5 stars Problems with units
Ordered two - on one the remote did not work. On the second the bulb blew on the second use. We may have to return at least one unit and possibly one remote if it does not reset. We have only been able to use one due to the problems and only twice with it before the bulb blew.
Published 14 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A great projector, July 21, 2013
K. Norris (Fairfax, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA DLP Projector, 3000 Lumens, PC 3D-Ready/120Hz (Office Product)
I purchased this projector to be used at functions for a social club. We generally show DVD's in a room that is only slightly darkened, with the projector about 15' from the screen, and club members view it from 20 - 50 ft away. So we needed a projector with some muscle to get an image large and crisp enough to be enjoyed from the back of the room. I researched lots of projectors, and this one seemed to offer the best quality for a reasonable price. We weren't disappointed - the image is about 8' wide and very sharp. It has lots of fancy features which we probably won't use, but the basics are easy enough to figure out. My one gripe is that there is no operating manual - only a CD with the manual on it, which might be convenient if you have a dedicated laptop you are using with the projector, but useless if you are using it with a DVD player.
If you are a first-time projector buyer (like I was), I recommend the following link, which I found on the Radio Shack website:[...] They had a very nice explanation of what all these specification acronyms actually mean in terms of a good picture. In a nutshell:
Lumens - higher number means brighter picture in a less than dark room (very important for us)
Resolution - the fineness of detail (i.e. high-def - see the website for details) This projector isn't really high-def, but it seems you have pay twice the price for the next higher level.
Contrast ratio - higher number means a greater difference between the lights and darks - (important since our DVD's are shot in low lighting)
Throw ratio - how big the picture will be - a smaller number actually means a bigger picture. The Viewsonic website has a nifty calculator that helps you see how big your picture will be at a given distance.
Hope this helps the non-techies out there! Happy viewing!

4.0 out of 5 stars projector, September 7, 2013
very good product.
pros
1. excellent picture quality.
2. all computer files and dvd can be viewed using this projector.
3. 2 computers can be connected to input and one to output.
4. dvd player can be connected and viewed. very good picture quality.
5. for beginners, very user friendly, just connect yellow cord of video to projector ,adjust zoom and focus.

cons
1.no hdmi port.
2.just small mini mono speaker is built in which is not good quality for music.
3. red and white sound cord of your dvd player must go to your external sound system for better sound quality.
4. remote is not lighted.
5. sound cord of your lap top must go to your external sound system for better sound quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Product! Would buy again!, October 18, 2013
ResaHJ (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
HOW I USE IT

I conduct numerous workshops, meetings and gatherings in the midst of my organization. I needed a light-weight, easy to use product that had good to excellent picture quality; and that was easily transportable.

HOW IT ARRIVED

The Projector arrived packaged in a standard box encased by Styrofoam, and wrapped in a typical protective covering. It shipped by UPS ground and arrived on schedule.

My First Use

When it arrived, I wanted to make sure the projector worked properly and had all the cables needed to power it up and connect to my PC. There are a number of thorough reviews here so I am going to focus specifically on my experience right out of the box.
I unpacked it, powered it up and connected it to my PC. Without having to do anything else -- accept adjust the height to meet my 80-in screen - I turned on my PC and was EXTREMELY surprised by the high, picture quality and vivid colors, even in a well lit room. After closing the blinds and turning off the lights, I was even more astounded -- especially given the price and my level of expectation. It was BEYOND my expectations.

I decided to test things out on my husband and kids. So, I logged into my Netflix account and begin playing the latest episode of Power Rangers. My son immediately thought that I had set this up "just for him" -- and wanted pop corn, and for me to leave the room so he could watch a movie. My husband began talking about movie night with the family, and I knew I had chosen well.

The biggest highlight for me, however, was that all I had to do was turn it on using the remote, turn on my PC and adjust the height. From setup to sitting down watch Power Rangers took about 13 minutes. The light didn't have to heat up and I didn't have to look at the initial instructions a single time.

I do, however, plan to become familiar with the functionality of the projector and learn to use the remote to make the best of my experiences. The other reviews on this site cover the "details" very well, so... I didn't think it was necessary to restate those things.

I am VERY SATISFIED with my purchase and experience. Great product and even better price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, May 11, 2013
Very good product. Works well and is easy to use. Everything that I expected. I like their website too that tells you how far back it can go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, But Not Quite Intuitive, December 9, 2013
T. Kuch "www.terencekuch.com" (Falls Church, Virginia United States) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent entry-level projector that should be all that a small business or community association needs. As recently as five years ago this would be a 'dream machine' costing thousands, but technology does progress, and gets cheaper. I have no complaints at all, but if you buy one, (a) Download the user guide from the ViewSonic website immediately - you will need it. (b) Be aware that if you want to use the remote control, you have to be IN FRONT of the projector, not behind it - this doesn't seem to be documented. (c) The user guide says the following, but it's easy to overlook: If you want to control the show from your laptop, as most people do, then you will need to connect the laptop to the projector using a USB-to-mini-USB cable (not provided, but easy to buy at any tech shop). So that will be two cables connecting the projector to your laptop. (d) Also, the power cord is three-prong, so carry along an adapter just in case your projection-location has only two-slot wall outlets or will offer you a two-slot extension cord. (e) Speaking of which, take an extension cord along. I do think this is right, instead of giving you a 25-food power cord to take along whether you need it or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Structure to Function, September 14, 2013
This is fantastic for movie night at our gym. Love the projector and it hooks up perfectly to the laptop. It's great. Just hang a sheet and project the movie and you're set. It also comes in a nice bag that is easily stored.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's GREAT but not perfect, February 4, 2014
I bought this for my wife to use at her school. She says she really loves it. "It does what I want it to do." I really do like it, too. I do wish it had a cover for the lens. I don't like the lens being exposed to the elements when moving and not in use. I also wish the front leg would be a spring loaded leg that would extend with a push of a button instead of having to "screw" it up and down. The leg also feels cheap to me.

In the end, and overall, I would purchase this again. It produces a bright, clear picture and I also like not having a filter to have to worry about cleaning all the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome@, June 10, 2013
Danielle Day (San Luis Obispo, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this projector for a teacher at our school. It shines a bright picture so lights off is no longer mandatory. The multiple outlets in the back are great for not having to switch the cords all the time. Now the source search button is all she needs. It's great!

4.0 out of 5 stars ViewSonic PJD5132, October 10, 2013
goodguy (Boston, MA, USA) - See all my reviews
We needed a few projectors for Sunday school classrooms, PJD5132 is a perfect choice, so far we are very happy with the product.

Pros
- Solid build quality, enough features, inexpensive
The projector is well built, and because it does not offer some of the latest bells and whistles such as HDMI connectivity, 1080p resolution, etc, it is offered at a very good price. Perfect for our classroom needs. We use them at Sunday school classrooms, where they are connected to laptops and iPads.

- Display quality
Image projected are crystal sharp and super bright... can't ask for any better, very satisfied.

- Relatively light weight
Not the smallest and lightest like those micros but those pocket types are pretty much lacking in resolution and brightness

- Other
Using standard computer power cable and connector. We had Vivitek projectors bought a few years ago, which use non standard power cable and connector. The connector on the projector was pretty flimsy, we've had a couple broken ones. Power cable was also proprietary, which was very difficult to replace when lost. So this time in our purchase we paid specific attention to not buy something that uses non standard power cable/connector.

Cons
- Does not include carrying case
Maybe I'm used to buying projectors with carrying cases, especially the type that are for office/school use. Carrying these without a case is cumbersome at best. What makes it worse, the separately sold ViewSonic carrying case for this model has been out of stock. It's been a few weeks but we are still using projectors without carrying cases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent projector for light rooms and trouble free connection to a Mac., April 1, 2014
Excellent contrast and capacity to project in light rooms! Was a life saver to present my finishing talk and is by far the easiest projector I've ever used connected to my Mac. Just plug it and go, no need to reboot the computer or pray to God to make it work.

Rate and Discover Movies