5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away!!
Published 19 months ago by Adam C. Murtland

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine for movies, not so great with text
Published 8 months ago by C. S. Thompson

5.0 out of 5 stars Blown away!!, March 4, 2013
This review is from: ViewSonic PJD5134 SVGA DLP Projector, 3000 Lumens,3D Blu-Ray w/HDMI, 120Hz (Office Product)
I can't say enough good things about this projector. It is an amazing value and delivers a superb theater experience in my living room. Just a little background in my home theater experience... In college, one of my buddies had an old auditorium projector in his dorm room. We fashioned a screen out of a grid of computer paper on his wall so that he could still open his door haha. When we got an apartment together during our senior year, we made a screen out of a California King sheet. We stretched the sheet tight and made a border out of black duct tape. We enjoyed a year of movies and shows on our 155" screen.

Fast forward to now. I wanted to take my home theater experience to the next level and this projector was the perfect way to do it! Here's a brief outline of key features and my impression of them:

Resolution:
The three biggest features most people look for when talking about projectors are resolution, contrast ratio, and lumens. The resolution of this projector is SVGA 800x600. This is far from full HD, which is the majority of content I'll be viewing, but the picture is astounding! I'm a stickler when it comes to picture quality. I have a 42" 120hz 3D tv in my bedroom. I ALWAYS buy the blu ray version of new movies and I stream HD all the time on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. I care deeply about picture quality to say the least. That being said, this projector blows me away in picture quality. I watched Star Wars on blu ray last week on my tv and watched it again this weekend on the projector for comparison. Although the picture was slightly better on the tv, nothing compares to watching Star Wars on a big screen. The picture was very sharp. Absolutely amazing.

Contrast Ratio:
15,000:1 contrast ratio. What can I say, the shadows were very dark and the highlights were very bright. I don't have a proper home theatre with dark walls and such so there was a lot of reflected light but I was blown away again with the high contrast image.

Lumens:
It is important to know the lighting conditions in your theater when choosing a projector. Rooms with higher ambient light will need a higher lumen projector to overpower the ambient. With the shades drawn, I have no problem watching movies with this projector during the daytime. Of course, wait until night with complete darkness and the screen is incredibly bright and vivid. This projector beyond bright enough for my conditions.

Inputs/Outputs:
Okay so now onto the fine details. The Viewsonic has multiple inputs for a wide variety of devices. I run an HDMI cable from my bedroom to the living room for my theater. The projector takes an HD signal and converts it to the proper resolution. I then use the 1/8" audio out to run to my sound system.

Placement/orientation:
This is the only gripe I have with this projector. I have a relatively long living room. My screen is 110" diagonal and is located at one of the far sides. I wanted to be able to mount the projector and the other far end, high on the wall for convenience. Unfortunately for me, the distance was too great to fit the picture on to my screen. The projected image was about 6" too big on all sides. I was upset but this was not the projector's fault; I had a limited mounting options (I live in an apartment so no ceiling mounts) and I had a fixed screen size. My issue with the projector came in when I tried to place the projector on a table towards the back of the room. The image beam from the projector comes out in four ways: Front ceiling, rear ceiling, front table, rear table. The "rear" refers tor rear projection. All of these settings have an angle pitch that is a little extreme. The keystone adjustment offers a little correction but not enough. I had to put little pieces of cardboard under the back feet of the projector to properly line up the image. So, more options for the angle of the lens elements would have been nice but this all is not a deal breaker by any means.

Bulb life:
Rated at up to 6,000 hours. I have no clue how long this will actually last me. I imagine during the first several weeks/months I will use the projector very frequently but then may ween off a bit in order to maintain the magic of the viewing experience each time I use it. One helpful tip is to use to projector as a treat or special event. Don't watch Judge Judy or American Idol on it or it will quickly lose that "wow" factor. Instead, use it for social gatherings, the season finale of The Walking Dead, the Super Bowl, gaming tournaments, etc.

Bottom line:
I use this projector for both video and gaming. It provides a stunning picture even for a videophile like me. If you are looking into setting up a home theater, take a serious look at this projector before considering spending much more money on an HD projector. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

UPDATE: I made a video review but wasn't happy with it so I didn't post it. Instead, I will answer any questions you have about the projector in the comment section. Since writing my initial review, I have used the 3D function pretty extensively. I use the Sainsonic DLP Link glasses. The experience is very enjoyable with a much more immersed feeling than my 3D tv. The 3D elements pop off the screen at you like in the theater.

Also, I've been watching the NCAA tournament with some buddies using the projector. My house has become "the spot" for watching the tournament. It truly does create an atmosphere that a tv cannot begin to touch. We've been able to have the lights on and eat pizza and wings and drink some brews while watching Syracuse dominate ;) I'll see how well they do in the Final Four this Saturday on a glorious 110" screen with all my buddies. I'm telling you... get this projector and see how much of an impact it has on your entertainment experience!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Waste no more time looking, March 18, 2013
Like a lot of people, I was interested in buying a projector simply for a larger TV viewing and video game experience. If you look through a lot of these reviews and product discriptions like I did, you will probably be frustrated with all the different things to consider. I bought it just to get a little experience with projectors, and I am very satisfied.

Unless you plan on spending more than $650, just go ahead and buy this projector. Great Picture quality and very easy to use. I have just white drywall in my appartment and the picture this projector produces on the wall is exceptional. There are really only 2 cons for me. The speaker is junk, but every projector has bad speakers. My advice is to go ahead and spend no more than $30 on the speakers and bundle it in with the projector to save a little on shipping. The other con is that there is only 1 HDMI port. So switching in between cable and DVD/GameSystem means you have to manually switch which device is hooked up to the HDMI. Overall all I would recomend this to anybody looking for a bigger TV viewing experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Inddor/Outdoor Projector, July 2, 2013
Bought this for the primary purpose of showing movies outdoors. Attached different speakers, but is so bright we can start so much earlier than dusk outside.

5.0 out of 5 stars ViewSonic PJD5134 Projector Review, July 13, 2013
First off, let me say that this is a great projector. You simply cannot beat the price!
I use this projector as an in home theater projector for movies, tv, and video games.

Let me start with the price. For $350 (what I paid) I haven't come across many other projectors that have as much value. It is a good buy. It is also very compact and small as well.

Most importantly, the picture. The picture on this thing is great. I use an HDMI cord to view my Blu-Ray player, Xbox 360, etc. (I'll get into my set up later) The resolution on this projector is SVGA. So that is 800x600, which sounds like a complete downgrade from your 1080p television or even 720p television. Yes, it kind of is when talking a strictly tech sense and those numbers can be scary. But let me tell you that the image quality looks fantastic. The aspect ratio is 16:9 and that is just widescreen. So, what you are normal to if you have bought an HDTV that is rectangular instead of the old square dinosaur TV's from the past, (to put it into easy terms). It also depends on how big your screen is and how far away you sit. I will put it into perspective for you. I am an absolute entertainment nut, I am obsessed with electronics, big screen HDTV's, etc. I always want the best picture possible. But on my budget I cannot always afford top of the line. Conclusion: This projector has great picture, you will not be disappointed watching. Movies: I don't believe that you are going to notice any lapse in picture quality, same goes for normal TV. Sports: maybe a tiny bit compared to a very nice 1080p televisions by the name brands with 120hz plus refresh rates, but not a whole lot, and trust me the huge screen you will be watching it on more than makes up for it. I used it to watch the NBA Finals and it was awesome to have people over. Let's talk gaming. I love games, I own an Xbox 360 and play everything from Call of Duty to Madden to Forza car games to Batman to Assassins Creed. I will say that they look excellent on this projector. I would say first person shooters look absolutely amazing, and for those hardcore gamers that worry about "lag" or "time delay" on the screen. I can honestly say that it had no effect on my gameplay whatsoever because I did not notice any lag at all.
I have used this projector on a bare white wall to watch movies and play games, in part because when I first got it, I was so excited to use it I just couldn't wait for my actual screen, and it looks fantastic. It looks even better when I purchased an actual Elite Screens screen. There are a number of screen options. You can go pull down (which is what I went with because price), automatic or motor powered drop down, or you can even just use a wall and border off the screen area. They even have special paint to use, but I found that normal white works just fine.

So to sum up the picture quality it is great! I am sure most of you on here have searched vigorously through other projectors specifications and customer reviews to see which is better and so forth. I am also sure that most of you have noticed that most of the home theater projectors cost A LOT more than this projector and can range from $550 and well into the thousands. This ViewSonic PJD5134 for the price is the best deal, and you will not be disappointed with the picture quality.

Now let's talk Features. You can use the keystone to adjust the angle of the screen (say if you have it mounted up high and angled down) this feature works great. You can also adjust the brightness, contrast, etc. You can zoom in slightly with the zoom 1.1 feature but I did not find that this held any purpose for me. To focus this projector in, you manually scroll the dial above the lens. It is very simple and easy to make it crisp and sharp. If you have read the product description you saw that you can put it in economic lamp mode. This just means it slightly dims the display to save lamp life. Now, the remote has a button labeled "my button" so what I like to do is set this button to switch back from normal and economic mode. So if I am just watching TV I will click it and put it on economic and it slightly touches down the brightness. If I am playing games or watching sports, boom I just tap my button and it boosts it up a bit. It is a really nice feature. But you can set this button to whatever you find convenient or like the most.

Now let's discuss sound and setup. Yes this projector does have a speaker built in, but if you plan to use this projector for home theater use, you'll need to hook up your sound system. What I have done is run all of my equipment through HDMI cords for the best picture possible. So, I have an Xbox 360, Blu-Ray Player (with surround sound system- Samsung HTEM45), and High-Def Cable Box all going to my projector. For many people this will pose a problem because the projector only has one HDMI input. Simple. I bought an HDMI splitter on amazon. It has 3 inputs where i plug the Xbox, Blu-Ray, and Cable into and 1 output; which I use to run one long HDMI cord to the projector. So all of my sound goes through the Samsung surround sound Blu Ray entertainment system and I have the ViewSonic PJD5134 Projector as my screen. It is a pretty easy setup but I imagine it can be confusing for some people, and if you're on a budget or need help deciding how or what to hook up, feel free to leave a message or comment and I will gladly give you my help.

In conclusion, the ViewSonic PJD5134 Projector has great picture and is overall an awesome projector for the price. Combining it with movies, sports, or video games makes it even better. I give it 5 out of 5 stars. I really do not see any cons with this product because it does a great job at everything for the price.

Thank you, and good luck on choosing your home theater entertainment experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST HAVE FOR MOVIE AND GAME LOVERS, April 1, 2013
Picture-
1.Amazing
2. Awesome
3. Sharp
4. Amazing
5. Colorful
6. Awesome
7. Nighttime use is as awesome as any LCD tv.
8. Daytime is really good even with a little light coming through the windows on the door and the shades. but when you open the door and shades and let all the light in at 2 in the afternoon it can be kinda hard to see but not toooo bad.
9. Played Black Ops 2, Amped, and MW3 and they were awesome with graphics and color.
10. Watched a bunch of movies already, a MUST SEE is Avatar. that is by far the best starter movie for your new projector. Awesome picture and colors.

Speaker-
1.Sucks, I have it hooked up to a 5.1 surround sound anyways, suggest you do the same

Construction-
1.It doesn't have that cheap "Made in China" feel like most electronics
2.Durable feeling
3.Light weight
4.Smaller than you would think, but I would say its a bonus.
5.The top, I thought was going to be a matte black but turns out to be glossy very high end look.
6.All ports seem to be very strong and sturdy, not like most electronics I've bought in the past.

Projection-
1. Has keystone setting (on the remote) to adjust the up and down angle/pitch caused by projecting from high or low. BUT no side to side keystone, so you will need to center it up to project as straight as possible otherwise you will have that angled to the side projection. Some people don't know better so its best to clarify.
2. Has the setting (on the remote) to be able the set up the projector upside down or right side up (for ceiling mounting) because the ceiling mount only mounts to the bottom of the unit so when its mounted to the ceiling it will be upside down.
3. You can zoom in the picture to fit your screen or to get the max screen size out of the unit using the turn dial on the unit

The largest I projected was 177'' from about 25 ft. inside onto a tan colored wall. It could have gone bigger but we were from living room wall to dining room wall. I didn't measure the distance just guestimated but I did measure the screen size and it was just as clear at that size than the size I normally project which is 105'' on a white pull down hd screen.

The unit does put off a little heat but that's because you have a 2700 lumen bulb lit inside. It does have a fan but it acts more like an exhaust fan to get rid of the heat in the housing than a cooling fan.

As for outdoor use, I saw someone asking about that, I think if your trying to use it at night it would be alright but during the daytime it might be a little hard to see. I haven't tried yet but will.

If there is anything I missed just ask and I will reply. Always up to helping people figure this stuff out.

Thanks for looking.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine for movies, not so great with text, January 30, 2014
Bought this for our office to use in presentations, and wish I'd done just a bit more research first. We project from laptops - widescreens with high native resolutions - and this projector just isn't up to snuff for that application. We lose a lot of clarity, especially in text. I don't want to dock the projector ratings too much, as it seems like a fine projector for movies; but not a good choice for an office that needs to have readable text presentations from relatively close distances.

4.0 out of 5 stars comparisons, June 29, 2014
All their useless marketing aside ("colors 3x brighter with Epson!"), you just want to know one thing: is this the best projector for my money? Having tried a number of projectors in this price range, here's a rundown of your best options: (all prices at time of writing)

$330: The Epson VS230. Amazing for the price. Bright enough for lit rooms. The only thing it lacks is resolution - it handles movies and PowerPoints pretty well, but if you plan on anything else (detailed diagrams, smaller text, etc), you should consider one of the $400 options, which are 1280x800 pixels, vs 800x600 pixels. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GMGDFPI/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00GMGDFPI&linkCode=as2&tag=nealo10a-20

This, the $350 Epson PowerLite 500. "Contrast ratios" aside, movies look better on this than on the VS320. On the other hand, it is visibly dimmer. If you want an inexpensive home theater, go for this. If it's meant for presentations, I'd go for the VS320.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D29Z1TQ/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00D29Z1TQ&linkCode=as2&tag=nealo10a-20

$350: The ViewSonic PJD5134. It's a bit brighter than the Epson VS320, but that'll almost never matter - either is bright enough for daily use. This sacrifices some of the Epson's image quality for a lot of mostly unnecessary features like 120Hz refresh rate and 3D support (why would you watch a 3D BluRay on a low-res projector?). I recommend the Epson over this.

$420: The Optoma DW326e. My favorite projector for under $500, it's a tad brighter than the Epson VS230, but WAY sharper. It's basically the difference between SD and HD TV. Highly recommend: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GGM6G9A/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00GGM6G9A&linkCode=as2&tag=nealo10a-20

$420: The ViewSonic PJD5533W. Basically the same as the Optoma, but not quite as sharp. However, the prices of the two projectors has varied by up to $100 in the past, so I'd recommend just going for whichever is cheaper: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00511ITEM/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00511ITEM&linkCode=as2&tag=nealo10a-20

There you have it - a quick rundown of your best options. Hope you found this helpful!

5.0 out of 5 stars No Complaints!, April 12, 2013
I originally ordered the 5133 for a special family event. After waiting a few weeks I was informed it was on back order. Amazon CS was excellent, they cancelled the order and gave me free over night shipping for this model (5134) which happened to be the same price (349).
We set this up for an outdoor theater experience on the camp chef 120" outdoor screen. I was hesitant on this projector because it did not identify a 16:9 aspect ratio. Well for anyone wondering - it does. The projector produces a beautiful picture for an outdoor experience. We use a soundbar (LG 3520) and either a dvd player or apple tv with this projector and let me just say - WHAT AN EXPERIENCE! We're more than satisfied, can't recommend enough.
FYI, it takes about 17 feet from projector to 120" screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for Outdoor Theater, June 25, 2014
I was looking for a projector that would solely be used outside. I have a five month old granddaughter now and I had visions of us camping out or swimming in the pool while watching movies. Might have jumped the gun a bit, but already so glad I did! This was the perfect finishing touch to the backyard makeover.

I used the reviews to decide which projector to buy because lumens and ratios mean absolutely nothing to me. I just wanted something that would work for family movie and sports events nights. So if you are looking for something for outside, yes, this works great and is far more inexpensive than most I looked at.

At Dusk: Before the sun goes down you can see it, but I don't think it would be too enjoyable of an experience. (Kids probably wouldn't mind though).

At Dark: I tried animated and live action feature films and both looked amazing. Absolutely reminded me of a drive in movie experience. I don't know my diagonals but the screen was 12 feet across (which I believe is a 144, but don't quote me). I had to move the projector around a bit to get exactly the set up I wanted but that took no more than a few minutes.

As far as the other stuff, the other reviews are correct. Quiet fan, light and portable, lworthless speakers. I bought external speakers off of another review and it is perfect.

The only thing I consider a negative, is I wish it had more HDMI ports for easier set up because ipad, speakers, chromecast all use HDMI. Doing research to see if there is some sort of a way to add more with something external?

Finally, I think it is clear that I am not technology savy. I set up to my iPad and DVD/Blu Ray player by myself with no problems. Just remember to power on projector before connecting video source.

I highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comes down to picture quality..., February 5, 2014
First, this is a great projector for the price. I paid somewhere around 350 for it, and was excited to see what kind of picture quality I'd get from it as many of the reviews raved about the high quality. Well, though it's a good price for what it is, do not expect to get anywhere near HD quality. I immediately noticed the pixels at my 11 ft viewing distance. It's bright, and still a good picture, but not nearly as clear as some reviews led me to believe. The 4 stars come from the price/ease of use/3d option (haven't tried yet)/and HDMI connection as opposed to the similar priced projectors you'll find for presentations, etc. This projector could work just fine for movies and games.

We have friends who own an Epson basic projector, with the same 800X600 resolution. This is a better picture, but it may have only been because we were able to use the HDMI connection from a blueray player, whereas the Epson we could only use the VGA connection.

Spending several hundred dollars on a projector and expecting excellent clarity, then immediately noticing all the pixels, wasn't satisfactory to me. So I returned this projector and purchased the PJD7820HD. Which sucked, cause it was 650 compared to 350. But don't be misguided, the quality improvement was remarkable. I actually have to move to a few feet away from the wall now to see pixels...the 7820 definitely delivers a more HD picture.

I don't want to persuade anyone to spend the extra money to get the 7820, as I'm quite the frugal person. Go with the 5134 if you find it at a good price......and if you can be ok with a less than HD picture. Dang you, HD, I wish I'd never seen you. :) Hope this is helpful.