on February 8, 2012
Verified Purchase
I purchased this projector for use in a home theater setting. I use it on a projector screen that has enough space for about a 55" display size and it looks amazing. Picture is crisp and colors are vibrant. On eco mode it works very well in a well lit room and looks even better in a dark room. Auto input selection is nice so you can just plug anything into it and it will automatically select the source along with auto screen aspect selection (if you enable these options). After reading a review that someone was unable to use their Windows 7 PC with it, I connected my Windows 7 laptop both through the VGA inputs and through the HDMI inputs and both worked perfectly. Obviously the other review where the user says this does not work with Windows 7 doesn't know how to use their PC / Projector (it's easy plug and play). At 720p resolution, it looks just as good as a 1080p TV I have in another room. Additionally, the warranty is a lot better than most projectors (3 years parts/labor and 1 year on the lamp whereas most only offer 1 year on everything).

Cons: (very little, but if I had to pick something...)
The built-in speaker is mono sound only, so some things might not sound right through the built in sound. The speaker does get loud enough to be adequate, but you shouldn't expect much from the single built in speaker it has. Hooking up a pair of external PC speakers to the audio output greatly improves the sound quality.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with this purchase.

FOLLOW UP after 11 months of ownership:

Something I realized long after this purchase that I think is important to mention is that this projector DOES NOT support HDCP video through the HDMI port. This translates to some Blu-ray discs not being able to play in HD. In my home theater setup, this is not an issue because I use an Xbox 360 to stream most of my content and video game systems seem to work fine. However, if you must have the ability to play HDCP video content, you might want to consider Viewsonic's PRO line of projectors that are designed for home theater and support HDCP (as far as I know). Other than that, the projector has been working great almost a year after ownership.
on October 29, 2012
Verified Purchase
I've had the projector for 2 months now. I'm quite satisfied with the product considering the price I paid (refurb)

Here's actual breakdown of real comsumer usecase set up with a home theater, home computer, and an Onkyo multimedia receiver. The unit is mounted on the ceiling 18 feet from the screen in a darkend basement. Actual projection footprint of screen is 120 inch diagonal on a 4:3 setting.

PRO:
> Color is superior.Great ability to customize contrast, hue, and all sort of projection aspects.
HD conversion is VERY good considering the hoops I had to jump through.
> Its small and lightweight. Easy to mount.
> Interface signal auto-detection is quite convenient.
> Lumens are perfect for a dark basement setup.
> My 18' projection setup actual extends to ~145 inch diagonal on letter box but I can't install a larger screen to
accommodate.
> Great coverage with factory remote and Harmony remote. 45 degrees plus.
> Composite to RGB interface supports HDMI quite well. Why am I doing this? Read on...

CON:
> The projector is HDMI 1.4 only! It is not HDMI 1.3 backwards compatible. I have an inwall 1.3 HDMI cable and I
never saw this limitation in the fine print. My Onkyo receiver and bluray player suffers from the limitation. Poor me
but I'll live with it. That means no 3D as a result.
> NO HORIZONTAL KEYSTONE! If you are using this for home theater and have to mount at least 1 foot off perfect center, expect at least a 5 inch skew.
> The fan is fairly noisy. More noisy than I expected but I turn up the volume on the movies and I don't notice it.
> There is a rainbow effect, however, I hardly notice it except for high contrast dark scenes.

I can't beat the price for the quality of the picture. I'm sticking with it for now and I'm living with composite cabling conversion having to
avoid tearing out my ceiling to install HDMI 1.4 cabling.

---------------------------------------------------
SIX MONTHS SINCE HAVING IT - 130 HOURS INTO SERVICE
---------------------------------------------------

So I'm not a big in-season football fan. I usually will watch the games on my regular flat screen upstairs. Since my team made it to the playoffs this year, I started to watch the playoffs in the basement on the projector.

The first thing to note is that 1080P displayed via WXGA projectiopn isn't comparable to flatscreen 1080P. Not a huge issue. I pretty much knew this doing the research but going on a great deal for this projector.

What I "DO" notice that I didn't expect to see is the high pixelation the faster the action shots were during the football game.

Fast running shots or panning against all the colors and shapes in the crowd, the screen refresh rate in the project is challenged. I think it must be screen refresh compatability conflict with the cable box. It has to be as standard movies through CD and Bluray look great.

Still love it for the price I got, however, I can't increase the star rating to "four" from "three" from teh perspective of a cable TV consumer perspective. The HDMI1.4 limitation I ran into and the absense of horizontal keystone were big limitations preventing me from utilizing a lot of options.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Verified Purchase
This projector is really amazing. I'm an IT guy, so I see a lot of projectors in and out of the office. Finally, I decided, it was time to get one for my home. I couldn't be happier with it. Even though I saw a negative review on Projector Central, suggesting that it was more of a business projector than a home theater projector, I couldn't disagree more. They said there were "rainbow artifacts" on the screen, but I can't see them unless I shake my head vigorously side to side. The brightness is fantastic. It's perfect, because even though it has high lumens, the colours aren't washed out. I don't even project this puppy on a screen. I just use a white wall. Incidentally, it's so great, it even works decently on a blue wall. The menu is easy to navigate, it's sleek and attractive. The only thing that concerns me is that it doesn't have a lens cap. The lens is recessed though, so unless you stick your finger in there, it won't face any abuse.
on April 30, 2012
Verified Purchase
Have had this projector for about a month and used it quite extensively for movies and computer display. Here are some thoughts on a projector that makes it seem like you're in a theatre; not a hyper contrasty digital theatre but a good old fashioned film reel theatre.

-out of the box the colour setting were horrible; over saturated reds mostly and yellow flesh tones, no contrast in mid-tones, overly bright and grey is the new black.
-With adjustment (there is very detailed in projector controls; search for the manual PDF to see) on the projector and running through OSX's colorsync software, I produced a very good result - one user setting for daytime, one for at night (in the end, pulled up a stock image I found and tweaked until I was satisfied.)
-daytime is OK but washed out; much detail is lost but you can see the picture in a sunlit house (good for youtube and the news).
-nighttime viewing is astounding. You will not appreciate this unless you have 720P or higher content to watch. You will not get the same contrast as a LED TV, but it feels like a movie theatre. The detail is astounding, 13 foot throw distance, about 100 inch 'screen' (white wall). Zoom is turned minimal to preserve brightness; I keep on saying WOW!
-Blacks are "good" to "very good" I'd say (compared to review websites w images of much pricier 1080p projectors), but took some fiddling to get there (contrast and brightness controls)
-All preset colour modes are lame, unless its day time and you want 'brightest'; although view match tries to give accurate colors, it greys everything out.
-there IS a slight difference in brightness across the screen (top right is dim) but this is only noticeable with non-moving monochromatic images.
-never could 'exactly' match colours on my MBP display to the screen, but i'm projecting it onto a white paint wall. probably not white, probably just primer and dirty old primer at that.
-some uncertainty of how (accurately) super fast action is displayed as my eyes catch a bit of jerkiness (back in the day anything CRT under 85hz hurt my eyes), but the HDMI connection seems to display each frame that it should; with most files 30 frames per second, this sometimes is jerky movement; again, like a theatre not digital TV.
-I didn't notice any rainbow, unless wildly moving my head (not just eyes) around, and then just on very contrasty scenes (i.e torch in darkness)
-on my Mac (and iPad) I have yet to figure out 120Hz refresh; it's stuck to 60hz via HDMI or VGA. (haven't tried w PC, no response from Viewsonic support)
-the fan is noticeable when the projector is two-three feet from your ear. otherwise, medium volume TV/movies drown it out.
-overall, amazing cost/value to watch big screen entertainment. It will broadcast how crap your media files are across 100 inches; say hello to HD upgrade fees or extra bandwidth downloads.

Contrast isn't amazing, but the warranty is; The equivalent Optoma seems to have some problems once it hits a year with pixels dying - check the 'updated' reviews here on Amazon. I haven't seen the Optoma 66 in action, but am happy with my purchase of "OK" contrast ratio and "great" life expectancy. Will never buy a TV again.
on November 2, 2011
Verified Purchase
The project, was priced to go, Once receiving the product, hooking it up was easy and instructions were easy to read. Once turning on the projector, you can tell it was much brighter than our old one. The resolution and the crispness of the display were awesome. This is a great projector for anyone looking for a good office demonstration or conference room projector.
on December 16, 2011
Verified Purchase
I've been installing projectors for a long time and am thouroughly impressed at the price versus performance for this projector! Great image quality! HDMI! That's all there is to say. Worked great in my customer's home theater.
on December 17, 2011
Verified Purchase
This is an excellent projector.The brightness(lumens) better than expected, shows good w/ lights on and excellent in movie theater lighting. Picture quality is superb when using hdmi source and great when usingstandard composite output,granted you have a hd receiver. My main use is for movie viewing. The picture size is 108". Why go to the theaterI owned a sharp dlp projector, the viewsonic by far exceeds, I consider myself a tech savvy guy. For the price the lamp life and lamp warranty, ansi lumens, and contrast ratio ease of use, is what sold me. The only draw back,which is no major issue)is converting to 3D viewing is an extra expense, no too costly, the viewsonic converter box and 1.4.high speed cables would cost another $300, but the kicker is the cost of active shutter glasses. With that being said it would be still less expensive than the highend projectors. I'm very happy with the purchase so far....
on June 13, 2012
I tried out the PJD5123 before this one. It was the first projector I've tried in my basement to watch movies off of the computer. I was actually pretty happy with the 5123 (800x600 resolution) but I decided to try this higher HD resolution (1280x800) projector side by side before I make the final decision and I'm very glad I did. While I wouldn't say the difference is monumental, it's definitely noticeable. At $329, 5123 is still a great deal but with the 5523 only at $450, I'd say the extra money is worth it (depending on what you're trying to achieve). I tried the two projectors side by side and tried YouTube, Hulu, DVD and Internet browsing. Can't really tell the difference on YouTube or Hulu, even. But definitely could see the difference when you look at how the projectors display texts and high quality movies (I didn't try BlueRay or anything with 1080p source since the highest native resolution on this was 800). The texts are very crisp on the 5523 while a bit blurry on the 5123. Overall, I think the 5523 is one of the best value out there among the dozens I've looked at. Under $500, still HD while not full 1080p, and I was able to get a very clear 150inch movie displayed with very little effort.
on April 4, 2012
Verified Purchase
Projector is great, especially for the price, has many different inputs which I use, brightness is better the expected, project on a 135" 16:9 screen and picture is nearly perfect, yes not as good as a $4000 projector but would compare to Sonys $2500 720p. Have watched several.movies, tv and games with computer. Would recommend this product over many others. Best part is if you don't like it you can send it back for full refund, but you won't ! It's great.
on March 5, 2012
Verified Purchase
ViewSonic PJD5523w does everything as advertised. Clean machine, though perhaps a bit too simple; for example front elevation leg must be screwed out methodically (no drop release mechanism) and the elevation leg really ought to have a larger foot pad. Only disappointment is a slight dimness in upper right quadrant. Almost unnoticeable when projected on a screen, but when projection is displayed on a wall its a little disappointing.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations