5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing quality at this price point...DOES WORK WITH WINDOWS 7
I purchased this projector for use in a home theater setting. I use it on a projector screen that has enough space for about a 55" display size and it looks amazing. Picture is crisp and colors are vibrant. On eco mode it works very well in a well lit room and looks even better in a dark room. Auto input selection is nice so you can just plug anything into it and it will...
Published on February 7, 2012 by vincent18713

3.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for: if you want alot; keep looking
I've had the projector for 2 months now. I'm quite satisfied with the product considering the price I paid (refurb)

Here's actual breakdown of real comsumer usecase set up with a home theater, home computer, and an Onkyo multimedia receiver. The unit is mounted on the ceiling 18 feet from the screen in a darkend basement. Actual projection footprint of screen...
Published on October 29, 2012 by cjohnson317

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for home movies!, March 6, 2012
This review is from: ViewSonic PJD5523w WXGA DLP Projector - 720p, HDMI, 2700 Lumens, 3000:1 DCR, 120Hz/3D Ready, Speaker (Old Version) (Electronics)
After having problems with and returning a different manufacturers projector I bit the bullet and spent a little more on this projector. It was worth it. Crisp colours, easy use and a high quality picture make this perfect for movie night. I can even project a movie straight onto the wallpaper (cream coloured) and it still looks great! Definitely recommended!!

Also, I have to thank Amazon in this case who bent over backwards to sort out a few problems with the return of the other projector and purchase of this one. For customer service, Amazon gets 5 stars too!

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty bad for watching movies or playing games. Good for office or class room presentations., December 16, 2012
I got this projector for three days and just had to return it because of the unnatural color of the skin tone it produced. No matter it's on the default settings or after fine tuning it. And when i watch Blu-Ray Avatar from my PS3, it was so slow and the ghosting was horrible. So I returned it to Amazon and got the Epson Home Cinema 710HD and WoW!!!! I couldn't be happier!! The color is super vibrant and accurate!! The skin tone is natural and in many cases, it looks better than my 50" Samsung HDTV. Watching blu-ray movies or playing games from PS3 are simply a joy. Smooth actions and no lag time. It's a bit more expensive than the 5523w, but in this case, you really get what you paid for. And i haven't look back. And the projector is really beautiful it self!! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW...fantastic viewing for Xbox and movies, October 14, 2012
S. Sappington (Gaithersburg, MD) - See all my reviews
We had been looking for a projector for several months. My husband had wanted to get a 1080 projector and we had gone to a big box store to learn more about them. But, when the quotes started coming in from $1500 - $3,000 for just the projector we knew we were going to be looking elsewhere. The kids and I didn't feel the need to get a 1080 capable projector. We have a high def TV , but most of our dvd's aren't high def and the xbox games aren't high def...didn't see the need to get a high def projector. We finally agreed to go with a cheaper model and tried this one. The picture is FANTASTIC. It took minutes to set up. We watched Iron Man 2 last night as our first movie and it was just like being in the theater. We didn't see any difference in picture quality. The boys are LOVING their xbox games on a giant screen too. If you play racing games you really have the feeling your driving the car.

As for screens...our basement is painted a pale yellow and at first we didn't have our screen fabric so we tried playing Call of Duty on the wall. Picture looked great and we wondered if the screen would make much of a difference. When the screen fabric arrived the next day we put it up half way so we could see what the difference was. It did make a significanct difference in the color scale. The colors in Call of Duty went from a soft brown/dusty beige scale to a definite gray scale and were much brighter on the screen fabric. We bought the fabric (Blackout Fabric for DIY Projector Screen 66 x 110 Inch) and tape (JVCC Felt-06 Polyester Felt Tape) here on Amazon for about $60...a bargain. It was helpful to have 3 hands to install the fabric...two to keep the fabric taught and wrinkle-free and another to apply the tape. We also let the fabric hang over a high railing in both directions for several hours to help the creases fade from having been folded during shipping.

Overall, this projector has provided a far more impressive picture than we expected. We've only had it a few days, so I can't speak to reliability...hope that is good too.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad projector...., October 2, 2012
This is not a bad projector, it has a lot of great functions and the picture isn't bad. The only problems I had with this product was the very loud fan, it is pretty distracting while watching a movie. The second problem and reason I ended up exchanging it was the fact that when running a digital video signal (HDMI) the projector will not let you adjust the brightness, color tint etc. This is not a problem for most people, but I wanted to calibrate the colors etc to give it a spectacular image but was unable to and had to deal with the terrible settings viewsonic has programed in. If you actually care about the image you are watching and want to use HDMI dont purchase this projector! For the same price the Acer H5360 is a much better choice!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best projectors out there, July 13, 2012
AMS (BUFFALO, NY, US) - See all my reviews
This projector is simply one of the best projectors I have seen. The quality of picture is amazing and bright even in a decently bright room. When I bought the projector I had a few questions which I will attempt to answer to help others.
a) 5523w or 5133 - This one depends on the dimensions of your room and the "throw" distance, but 16:10 or 16:9 gives a much wider display at 12ft (the permissible throw distance my room allows) than 4:3. So go for it based on your room dimensions and requirement.

b) The projector works almost instantly, no heating lamp for minutes. The footprint of the projector is also decent.

c) The controls are fairly intuitive and I have my Xbox 360 and my computer (Win 7) connected via a HDMI and VGA respectively. The source feature takes a little time to get the correct source but that is not a problem. Also the remote controller has short cut buttons for VGA1, VGA2 but not for HDMI so you will need to switch to HDMI via menu - > sources -> HDMI (2-3 remote clicks)for it if both machines are connected and on.

Now for the annoying parts :-)

d) The heat generated by the projector is a slight issue, but looking at the quality of the image it is but natural for it to emit this.

e) The speakers are not very good. They might work for presentations in offices/classrooms/real quiet rooms but not in a house. You WILL need external speakers.

f) The most annoying part is that you cannot change the level of the projector as you can do in others. The projector by itself can only project at a level. What does this mean? It means that while it can be placed on a table, it definitely needs some kind of a projector mount. A little surprising considering that it is supposed to be a portable projector. However, I placed it on a single high table that until then was gathering dust in a corner.

Overall, the projector in terms of build quality, projections is simply awesome. The slightly annoying parts are well annoying, but do not decrease the user experience in any way. If I can hook up my cable tv to the projector, I do not think I will buy TVs ever again. Will recommend the product to anyone looking for a decent projector.

2.0 out of 5 stars lamp overheats. only used minimally 3 weeks 29 lamp hours, April 24, 2012
Just bought this projector on April 3 and barely used it since. longest it's been on was maybe 3 hours at one point. Was working fine for a while, but just past few days the projector will overheat and red flashing light indicates lamp is overheating. Very disappointed, was expecting a great experience but not happy that projector is overheating with a TON of airflow and normal 70-75 degree room temp. The warranty on this product though is great so will be either exchanging with amazon or exchanging with viewsonic to try again! I can't give it 1 star just because of the warranty and I must have had a lemon. First product that has ever failed on me, I'm an IT guru and do extensive research when purchasing online. Your chances of this happening are slim in comparison to other reviewers and this projector is still a great buy for the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for my presentations to schools, December 13, 2011
This projector is extremely bright -- I was able to present my power point presentation in a room with all the lights turned ON! My only complaint is that it cannot be adjusted with a horizontal shift like our Sony. No matter where we place our Sony projector we can shift the entire picture side to side in addition to keystone and raising it up and down. It's also challenging to figure out how to link the remote to my computer mouse - unless it's because I'm operating on a MAC - but it shouldn't matter when a mouse is concerned.
Purchased in Nov 2011 and used for 9 days for school workshops.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sent it back for a good reason (HDCP)., September 29, 2012
I was very excited to get this projector, but once I did I realized I made a mistake.
The HDMI connections would not work with my Blu-Ray player. After several hours I gave up and called Viewsonic. They told me the projector is not HDCP compliant.

HDCP stands for High Definition Copyright Protection. From what I have read with HDCP the digital signal is encrypted. What this means is that the projector must have the correct circuitry to put the signal back together.
Since the 5523 is meant for more of an office or classroom setting it is not HDCP compliant. Even though the projector has HDMI inputs it's meant to be used with media that does not have HDCP(which limits you to computer or gaming use). From what I have read all Blu-Ray players have HDCP, as it is required by law.

While I had the projector I tried the other connections to be sure they worked. The picture was very bright and clear. This is a great projector for the money. I would have loved to keep it except I hard wired an HDMI cable through my ceiling and walls a month before I bought it.

So, if you plan on using the composite connections, S-video, the computer monitor connections, or HDMI (computer or gaming use) you will get a great picture. Just don't plan on using this projector with a Blu-Ray player and HDMI, it won't work.

After more research I found the Viewsonic Pro8200 for $799 here on Amazon, it has 2 HDMI inputs which are both HDCP compliant. It's also full 1080p, so that's what I'll be going with.

3.0 out of 5 stars go with LED, don't bother with old stuff, December 6, 2013
This devices works great but I would get one with LED bulbs instead. Also USB is mini not micro or just USB. The one HDMI also has old firmware and doesn't display well

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, December 15, 2012
Very pleased with the quality. Why go to the theater any more? Just love it! Good compact size. Better than TV.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›