5.0 out of 5 stars Best Buy
After searching through endless PDA "closeout" models and suffering sticker shock looking at the so-called "new" replacements, I came to the conclusion that the Viewsonic V-36 had and still has the most useable features for the money. The HP models have clearer, easier to read graphics displays but cost far too much. The Sonys are even more...
Published on November 17, 2003

2.0 out of 5 stars Good for first PDA owners, but not if you're upgrading.
Based on the rebates and price drops for this product, it was high on my consideration list. That is, until I picked one up.

The device is VERY plastic-feeling and flimsy. It does not feel solid at all, unlike the Palm Tungsten models or HP models. Many of the store models were banged up and very scratched. My current Palm has been banging around in my purse...
Published on February 2, 2004 by MicheleLK

5.0 out of 5 stars A College Student's Best Friend, April 29, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: ViewSonic V36 Pocket PC (Office Product)
As a college student, I wanted something with the convenience of a laptop but with a pricetag to fit my sad budget . . . when a friend of mine got a Toshiba Pocket PC I thought I'd try to get one too. Amazingly enough, for a lot less than other Pocket PCs the ViewSonic had the same things and more! The ViewSonic V36 has the essentials that I need for basic day to day use away from a desktop: Word, Internet Explorer (with a Wi-Fi card), Windows Media Player, and more. And when I went on the Microsoft Pocket PC website, I was able to download programs that let me create Slide Presentations and more. I bought a keyboard and use it just like a laptop . . . even my friends w/ laptops say that my Pocket PC is more convenient. It's a great buy for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very hard to beat for the price, August 20, 2004
This review is from: ViewSonic V36 Pocket PC (Office Product)
I have worked with Windows CE/Pocket PCs from the very first models (loved the Philps Velo ;-)), and have always appreciated their functionality. I do quite a bit of research when upgrading to a new PDA/Pocket PC. And considering the price ($200 after a $100 rebate) the V36 is pretty much unbeatable. The screen equals the iPAQs I have used at work over the years, and the V36 is smaller/lighter (a big requirement for me since I carry mine in my pocket). It has a nice processor, generous memory and I agree with other reviews that the camera takes surprising good pictures (albeit you do need good light and the pictures are low res). The fact that the V36 has an SDIO slot (not just an SD slot) is a huge plus for me as well. I use my unit to connect to Wi-Fi hotspots daily and an SDIO slot is necessary to support any of the 802.11b cards on the market (I use a SanDisk ConnectPlus card that is both an 802.11b card and 256MB flash memory card in one - a perfect compliment for this device btw). For a total of about $315 ($200 for the V36 and about $115 for the Sandisk Wi-Fi + Flash memory card) I have a small light, powerful Pocket PC with lots of memory, wireless connectivity and a camera! (compare that price to some of the competing PDAs that have integrated Wi-Fi (and no camera) and you're looking at $500-$600) The V36 is probably the best deal on the market :-) At least it is for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best PocketPC for the price, May 21, 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: ViewSonic V36 Pocket PC (Office Product)
Best PocketPC for the price!
I researched a LOT of PocketPC's before I buy VeiwSonic V36 and I love it!
MP3s, Videos, Voice, Photos, MS Compatibility,
Definately the best PocketPC for the price! No problems so far - I am very pleased - I recommend this model to all.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but only for 6 months Then you have to buy another, December 7, 2004
C. L. Shaver "shaverbgod" (Renton, Wa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ViewSonic V36 Pocket PC (Office Product)
This is a very nice unit. The screen is clear the memory expandable, the price just right. THE MAJOR DRAWBACKS are that the computer burns out after 6-7 months leaving you high and dry with the company. The secondary battery fails even when you have the unit plugged into the charger erasing all of you files and system memory.
[...] I would go with something that has a reputation for working longer than a goldfishes memory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy with confidence, April 11, 2004
Paul Cline (St. Petersburg, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ViewSonic V36 Pocket PC (Office Product)
I researched a LOT of PocketPC's before I settled on the VeiwSonic V36 - I love it! It is fast and has good handwriting recognition. (The camera works okay - but needs good lighting. I wish they could improve the camera - but hey! what do you want for something this small?) Definately the best PocketPC for the price! No problems so far - I am very pleased - I recommend this model to all my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Nice PDA, May 14, 2004
"vishalg007" (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ViewSonic V36 Pocket PC (Office Product)
I agree that there are a lot of PDAs out there with hunkier features like WiFi (HP ipaq) or with integrated cell phones (Tungsten), but I think this PDA has the best bang for the buck! The digital camera is of a surprisingly good quality, though I think that the screen quality is better in the HP ipaq. I found the operating system to be very stable. I recently bought a SanDisk SD memory card for the PDA and that works well with it too. I also recommend the ViewSonic Customer Service highly. I had a defective item at first, which they replaced immediately without any hassle. I would definitely recommend the PDA!

1.0 out of 5 stars Please BeWare and ForeWarned!, August 14, 2004
This review is from: ViewSonic V36 Pocket PC (Office Product)
I purchased this product and within 2 months it starts to behave in a strange way, out of no where. It goes from working perfectly to shutting down without warning. I contacted Tech Support, with them providing a method of re-starting, but of course I lose all information data. It restarts but only for a few days, then shuts down and will not re-start. This continues for 5 months. I communicate again with Tech Support, they give instructions for sending unit in to be checked. They call me stating unit is not covered under warranty due to a cracked display, which was not the case at all when I very carefully packaged and shipped it. It was in "like new" condition, had never been dropped nor mishandled. The cost to repair was $270.00!! I refused to go with that option and will never buy another of their products. In my opinion their customer service and tech support is lousy and certainly not trustworthy. There are too many other good choices of products out there to have to worry about being "hung out to dry" with a worthless warranty.

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Price......., February 16, 2004
PC Pro (San Antonio, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ViewSonic V36 Pocket PC (Office Product)
I brought this right before Christmas based on Internet reviews. I was very pleased with the V36 until after a few days when it started to shut itself off to where I had to do a soft reset. It doesn't do it all the time and sometimes doesn't happen for days. Its not a terrible thing, I don't loose any data but it is somewhat inconvenient when you want to jot down a quick note . I called Viewsonic and they sent me a replacement. After a few days the replacement started doing the same thing. I email Veiwsonics tech support and they said that it is a problem that they are working on. Recently (I've only had this replacement for about a month) this new replacement has started a new thing where the screen starts getting fuzzy and then nonresponsive to where I have to do a soft reset. When my V36 works, it works great and the little camera is nifty but not something that I would take a family photo with.

5.0 out of 5 stars View Sonic Rocks, December 14, 2005
This review is from: ViewSonic V36 Pocket PC (Office Product)
I received my view sonic v36 as a gift. At first I was apprehensive of such an electronic device, but soon found many uses for it. It organizes my busy schedule, daily, weekly, and monthly. I use it as an MP3 player, and shoot pictures of my friends. Since the camera is a little slow and doesn't have flash, I normally stick to daylight and people need to remain still. Sometimes the unit doesn't want to turn off, so lately I have been backing up my data so that when I reset the unit, my information will be there. I like personalizing my unit with pictures of my friends on the screen. I also like how windows programs and games came installed on the unit. I have even found out how to download more games. I have had this unit for over a year, and the battery charges just fine. I am going to buy this same unit for a friend of mine. The battery normally lasts for a few hours while I have it on, over a week otherwise.

5.0 out of 5 stars What else you want., September 27, 2005
HRisario (No place like home) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ViewSonic V36 Pocket PC (Office Product)
Most other features will be useless. This Pocket PC records, plays MP3, takes pictures, movies, and most of all manages my busy schedule better than a paper agenda or a laptop. Besides I have been able to find many other professional and practical uses which means a lot when you can actually carry it with you. Like everything you need to be willing to follow the instructions and it will work for you fine without problems. Don't abuse it with extreme memory clutter and soft-restart once in a while. Oh, and make sure your kids don't drop it. For the price, this is the best package. If you are not the concious type, get the old paper agenda out and stop harming these usefull gadgets. Your bad reviews are affecting the industry and at the end it won't be profitable for them to produce such helpful thingys anymore. Maybe we can be nicer and learn how to use the new technology, it is not made of wood, you know? Who knows what have you been doing to it, and please take it off your back pockets before you sit!

ViewSonic V36 Pocket PC