Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on November 26, 2012
As a touchscreen monitor this is a great product: great image quality and great value. However, the bezel isn't flush with the screen so the Windows 8 gestures that require you to move in from the side are difficult to accomplish. As you sweep from the bezel, your finger doesn't enter at the exact edge of the screen, so Windows 8 often doesn't recognize the gestures. It's possible to learn to get them to work much of the time: start the gesture by touching the screen right at its edge with your fingernail "pointing in," but I still have trouble with the top and bottom gestures.
55 comments| 98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 26, 2013
Bought this unit to wall mount in a workstation docking location for a Surface Pro. Unit is connected via DVI, USB and audio to a Plugable UD-3000 USB 3.0 Universal Docking Station for Windows 8, 7, XP (DVI, VGA, or HDMI to 2048x1152, Gigabit Ethernet, Audio, 2 USB 3.0 Ports, 4 USB 2.0 Ports, 4A AC Power Adapter). Everything fired right up; monitor at native resolution, touch enabled and accurate and audio working with a good bump in volume vs Surface Pro speakers.

Pros:
- size
- colors for main user
- touch accuracy
- built in speakers
- price/value
- VESA mount
- resolution matches hd laptop resolution
- reaching for screen to click a button actually works!

Cons
- colors yellow for off center viewers
- screen glare in high ambient light
- DVI only might be an issue for some
- no bezel touch ability means some gestures don't work
on December 15, 2012
Handles only two finger touch screen gestures (spec in the manual), which could well be sufficient. The similar optical sensor Compaq specs 3-touch, at similar prices though not as much discounted. Apparently iPads use more fingers; large screens with that very expensive. Screen is responsive, unlike some optical ones in palm sizes. The optical touch sensor allows a very rugged screen surface.

The touch screen was recognized by Windows without installing Viewsonic drivers, apparently handled by Logitech mouse support software. Seems to be a standard input device now. The touch feature appears as a pointing device or mouse in Windows.

For the price seems well built and functional; more function costs a lot more.

Can be connected with an HDMI cable through a simple plug adapter, but the HDTV resolution 1920 x 1080 will show letterboxed indented 7/8" each side. [can be fixed in settings; see comments] This does not occur with a DVI video card. Older widescreen monitor format 16:10 1680 x 1050 shows full screen with adapters for pc use. A high end VGA/RGB interface should work but many older video cards do not present high resolutions on that output, giving more on a DVI output. There is no apparent difference in the video signals in these cases because the unit is able to present the 1920 x 1080 image, and there is only a simple pin-to-pin mapping in the HDMI adapter. I suspect there is an HDMI licensing issue and some restriction on displaying HDMI output unmodified without a license; the DVI is noted as HDCP, the industry copy protection system, despite not HDMI. An older issue of aspect ratios with computer monitors being 16:10 compared to TV's 16:9 does not apply, as the dimensions of this screen really are 16:9 and it works that way on DVI. Unfortunately I do not have access to the competing products to see if they also handle signals in this peculiar way. Newer ones probably have HDCP and do the same thing.

The DVI connection lacks Digital Rights Mgt handshaking with HDMI TV devices, DVR's etc., so even with an adapter those will not connect.
Monitors must have a true HDMI jack to use those inputs, and cost more because of royalties besides the hardware. Touch screens in large sizes are little benefit for TV program play as viewer is not within reach, compared to smaller tablets held close. If really needed, a processing box type adapter might work, at extra cost.

The screen is not as anti-glare as coated screens though specified as anti-glare, but such coatings cannot be used on a touch screen -- and get worn off even on regular monitors. Ironically the boiler plate manual includes a warning not to touch the screen because of finger dirt. There have long been add-on glare screens however, including a hang-on type from ViewGuard (usually reserved for the different privacy filters, which aren't anti-glare at all).

A simple plastic stand is included at the low price, fastened with the VESA attachment instead of separately, so the metric size screws are provided. All sorts of VESA attachment stands are available at extra cost from various suppliers. The low power LED display needs less stand-off from a wall as older fluorescent screens, less hot. Has 4" spaced VESA attachment holes.

Added note on anti-glare: some made by matte finish instead of coatings -- picture frame plastic sheet available in this for example. But it can reduce crispness of images, matter of taste. Seems mfg's have moved towards polished surfaces, probably to make more impressive, and you can stick on a matte finish film if desired.
55 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2012
I wanted a touch screen for windows 8 but did not want to spend a fortune. This monitor was not only attractively priced, the quality exceeds expectations. The clarity and sharpness of this monitor is stunning. Set up could not be easier ... plug it in and windows 8 took over and it works perfectly. I love it.
on August 4, 2013
This monitor was purchased to replace a failed monitor to my Point of Sale system (register) in my business, "Zorfs" in Phoenix. This monitor was a definite upgrade to the previous one, being larger and thinner. The POS system requires a touch screen, a DVI input, and a USB input to operate correctly. This monitor met all these requirements. The company servicing my POS quoted me a price of $400.00 to replace the failed monitor with the smaller design. This monitor was almost half that cost. The touch screen works so much better than the previous unit. My bar tenders love it saying it's as responsive as an iPad screen. The colors are very vivid, the screen very attractive having minimal border edging. ViewSonic has already established a reputation as being very reliable and I hope and anticipate my monitor will be another quality item from this company. I plan on purchasing another monitor just like this one to replace the other (working) POS monitor in my restaurant/bar.
on February 2, 2014
I've seen a number of reviews complaining about the inability to get gestures working on the edges of this monitor in Windows 8. I had the same problem, for example getting the "charms" bar to appear when swiping in from the right. The solution is to calibrate the touchscreen display in the control panel and then it works fine. Windows 8 is still a challenge for those of us used to mouse-and-keyboard, but that's a problem with the OS, not this touchscreen product.
on May 28, 2013
This product works as advertised. I wanted easier interaction with some of the computer's programs and a touch screen monitor was the best way to go. I like this monitor because it has a large screen and at a good price. Very responsive and easy to use. I gave this 4 stars instead of 5 because I think depending on your computer or resolution the touch screen can drift especially near the top and needs to be recalibrated (tap the +) every now and then. Another thing I want to point out. The screen it's self isn't touch receptive but rather has an optical coordinate grid just a millimeter above the actual screen. What this means is if a fly or insect or something lands on the screen it will respond. It would probably be better if it used capacitance based touch like what are used in smart phones and tablets. But for the price it's really a great deal.
on September 30, 2015
Well what can I say that other customers have not made mention of this product? It's a very economical touch screen monitor, considering that others are between $400 and $600 for just a functionality. Bigger screen? Possibly, but if all that is required is the ability to manipulate objects with your own fingertips rather than a mouse whose left mouse button can get worn out. It has some accuracy issues with more finite objects on screen such as the "X" button on tabs for internet browsers, but overall it's a more economical purchase. My only central annoyance of the product is that it cannot tilt far enough to allow one to, somehow, manipulate the screen as if one used a tablet. I have yet attempted to see if the touch screen is usable with a stylus or not, but I'm sure a few of you have done so.

Oh! Before I forget, there's a strange little quirk that I had noticed when I had used the touch screen recently. Apparently one does not need to physically touch the screen in order to register the touch as a mouse click. Just hover above the screen, but that's not exactly the most natural of positions so what have you.

When I had first received the product and downloaded all the necessary programs, the touch screen did not respond to my actions. It was infuriating and I went to ViewSonic technical support, Microsoft Community because my computer was upgraded to Windows 10 months ago, attempted to find the correct drivers, even voted on said Microsoft Community that the touch screen monitor was not compatible with Windows 10, then I got worried that I got the incorrect product since one of the directions warned about fingerprints on the monitor being difficult to remove. Why put such a warning on a touch screen device? Was it not meant to be touched?

Then after nine hours of such frustration, I kid you not, I received an E-mail reply from one Aljhon of ViewSonic Support and there was a statement at the end of that message that went "Installing monitor is not required or necessary. It will work as plug and play device." After a few moments of updating all possible drivers through the Device Manager, I thought what would happen if I unplugged the USB cable from the PC while connected to the internet. So I tried so and not only did Windows 10 recognize it as a touch screen monitor, it also automatically downloaded the necessary drivers to operate properly. As you can imagine, I was filled with joy that I finally gotten the touch screen monitor to actually work on Windows 10 and annoyance that I did not think of trying such an action in the first place. The directions for installing the device instructed that I plugged the USB into the PC before I began software installation from the included disk, it did not make any mention of unplugging and replugging the USB cable back into the PC with an active internet connection.

So a bit of advise for those who choose to purchase this product: Once you've installed all the programs on the disk, make sure that you have an active internet connection and replug the USB cable back into the PC. Don't be like me and go for nine hours of frustration. It's much more simpler that way.
on January 15, 2013
works excellent, much better than i expected, easy to set up very clear picture, we are quite pleased with the product and amazons great service
on February 11, 2015
I didn't realize it, but you need to plug in the USB cable as well to make the touch features work. I thought the USB was just to connect the on-board USB outlets, but turns out it is needed for touch as well. Once I figured that out, and installed the drivers, it has been working great. Just be aware that some windows 8.1 gestures are not that easy with this, as the bezel protrudes about 1/8" from the screen, so the swipe down to close a window, or swipe from the right takes some conscientious effort to get right. You really have to get the tip of your finger nail at the very edge of the screen then swipe, or it won't work. I would have much preferred a flush bezel now that I'm using it, but I won't dock any stars because I knew that this might be an issue when I bought it based on the reviews.