Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on October 20, 2012
LCD/LED monitors today generally fall into one of two categories: 1.) cheap, basic units that offer nothing in the way of physical adjustments, and 2.) expensive models with lots of frills. What's available in the second category has become increasingly limited, and the price difference compared to cheaper units can be hard to justify. The ViewSonic VA2342-LED was a good compromise for me. Color and picture quality are excellent, and while the stand is typically flimsy and unadjustable, the unit comes with VESA mounting capability. The 3-year warranty and dead pixel guarantee is a bonus.

I'm a web designer and developer, so color and picture quality are critical to me. As I stated above, both are excellent with the VA2342 and I'm very pleased. The picture is sharp and bright, color is vibrant but not overly saturated, and text looks great. I spent a few minutes with the Windows 7 color and ClearType calibration tools to arrive at these optimized results, but it was painless and quick. Like all LCD/LED screens manufactured today, there's an optimum viewing angle the user must determine when placing this monitor. I considered a dual monitor stand for maximum adjustability, but I settled on a sleek glass shelf to raise the displays about two inches off my desktop and it's perfect. I'll post some pics soon which will hopefully be helpful to others. On the downside, the OSD is quirky but no worse than most others I've had to deal with.

I split my design and dev time between my home office and an offsite workstation, where I'm stuck with two 22" Dell UtraSharps. My new ViewSonics are a huge step up in picture quality by comparison.
review image
on December 9, 2012
I have to agree with the other reviewers. It's lightweight, has great brightness, color, contrast, and resolution. And it's cheap. Can't ask for more than that. I use dual monitors and am now trying to think of an excuse to get rid of the Samsung that sits beside it.
on November 14, 2012
This monitor is very lightweight. It uses very little power and the picture is good. I've had to transport a few times and doesn't seem overly delicate. I bought it about 2 months ago and am happy with the purchase so far.
on January 28, 2014
This monitor is very light in weight. The base should be a bit heavier for stability. Upon assemby, I could not get the monitor to "click" into the base as it should. The pressure needed to engage the base is greater than I thought I should apply to the screen surround. So it just sits on the base. Not a big deal, but it just makes the stability issue worse. The resolution, glare, adjustments are all fine for short sessions. I think I would spend more and get higher specs if I were to use it for detailed office work. It is used for limited gaming and works fine. It replaced a smaller screen unit and I wanted the larger screen with the higher aspect ratio. The images are not real crisp, but I would not have noticed it had I not been exposed to better resolution screens. I just have to consider the cost, and for what it cost, it is just fine.
on February 3, 2014
I bought this unit to serve as a second monitor on a treadmill desk. I can sit at a standard desk to use my HP 23" monitor, then stand and walk on the treadmill next to it, using a second keyboard and this monitor mounted on a shelving unit that serves as a standing desk. Its color isn't as well balanced as that of the HP monitor, but hey - for the price, who cares? I use it almost exclusively for word processing (I'm a full-time writer) and for Web browsing, checking e-mail, and that sort of thing, so color balance isn't a critical consideration for me.

Prior to buying this monitor, I checked several competing models at local stores and online. Most were $100 or more higher in price than this unit, and since I'm on a limited budget, I was persuaded in the end to try this screen. (Decent, albeit not stellar, reviews of it helped in the decision.) I'm more than happy with it for my needs.
on December 31, 2013
I was going from an old 19 inch lcd 4:3 format to a 23 inch widescreen. The difference in screen size was not that large, but it is clear to see that most programs are made to run in a widescreen format today making it feel effectively larger. This also allowed me to go full HD resolution, which my other monitor was not capable of doing.

I see no issues with the screen that others have reported. I have the resolution set to max on Windows 7 and all text and games look amazing. MWO and Borderlands 2 feel like different games with the amount of detail I was missing. Everything was setup automatically when I plugged it in. Others that are reporting issues must either have a defective unit or not have something setup correctly.

My only issue with this monitor is the base, and is the reason for only 4 stars. The assembly seemed simple enough, but I could not get it to go together the way it seemed it should. The base is 2 pieces. The part that is supposed to secure to the monitor itself did not want to cooperate. I could never get it to snap in place like I thought it should, and was fearful of forcing it and breaking something. So I have it sitting together, but I feel like it could fall apart at any moment. I have a feeling this is the source of some that say the base is not stable.

There is also no DVI cable included with this monitor, which is just bad form for a full HD monitor. They did provide a VGA cable, but no adapter. Be prepared to spend another $10 for the cable if you don't have one.
on November 7, 2014
I bought this monitor a little over a year ago and it has been amazing and trouble free so far. The picture is indeed very clear and free from any discrepancies of defects. Nice screen size, it works well for watching Netflix without being too big for comfortable normal computer use. Don't be afraid of ViewSonic because they aren't a household name like Samsung, LG, or Sony. Many monitors by those manufacturers actually get worse ratings than the ViewSonic models. The base for this monitor is a little on the flimsy side, but it hasn't bothered me as I don't ever move this unit around that much. Too bad the price hasn't dropped any for you guys; it's still the same price as it was last year, but that's alright! Don't hesistate to buy this unit; it has a good warranty, a nice glossy black finish to the bezel, is light weight, and does have a very nice picture.
on March 6, 2014
I purchased this monitor to replace a 4 year old 1680x1050 monitor that I used with my personal computer. I write software for a living and my personal computer sees a mix of web browsing, gaming, and programming. So far, this monitor has been great for all of those tasks and I would happily buy another when my secondary monitor dies.

The colors are nice a bright, but do not appear to be blown out and the image is very crisp making it very easy to read text on.

The only negative I would state, as many many others have already, is that the stand is not as sturdy as one would hope. This doesn't bother me too much as my desk doesn't really shake or move, but I could see how it would get annoying if that were not the case.

Either way, for the price, I think this monitor is a great deal -- with the LED back lights it should last a good long while, but only time will tell for sure... :)
on March 7, 2013
I LOVE this monitor! I'm building my own computer and bought a couple of these monitors for it. Both work wonderfully and I am incredibly pleased with them. They are bright and the color is great. No complaints so far--I'd definitely recommend them!
on May 6, 2014
I really like this monitor - the picture is nice, and the screen is matte rather than glossy. That is nice because it means that there's less problems with glare/reflection and overall it's just easier to stare at for a long time. The colors were a little off when I first set up the monitor, but a little bit of adjustment made it look great. Good colors/brightness/contrast are important since I do digital art.
The only problem I've experienced with the monitor is that the power adapter has begun to make a barely audible high-pitched whining noise, which is irritating. I contacted ViewSonic's technical support, but their response wasn't particularly helpful since their primary suggestion was to try plugging the monitor in to a different power adapter to see if the power adapter was the problem, but I don't have another power adapter and I don't particularly want to buy one that might have the same issue as the one I currently have.
Overall, I'd recommend this monitor. The picture quality is pretty good.