Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Ty Dolla Sign egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Holiday Music in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now HTL

on June 29, 2006
Viewsonic has many lines of products, including those that are professional, graphic-oriented, and a basic line. I have been a ViewSonic fan for many fact I did not even consider another brand when purchasing this monitor. However, when you purchase this, remember that YOU ARE BUYING THE BASIC LINE OF PRODUCT!

I got this monitor as a replacement for my Viewsonic GS790 19" graphic crt monitor. This monitor displayed beautiful colors, but it still was heavy, bulky, and had a few geometry issues. LCDs were getting cheap so I decided I'd try one.

After using this monitor for a few months, I've noticed some problems with it. The reviewer who said that this monitor has a greenish tint is correct. I have done many graphic design projects, and I noticed in a grayscale image had a definite green tint to it. I tried many color settings on the monitor, and this was apparent even on the sRGB setting.

However, the most annoying part of this monitor is when I browse the internet. Certain characters appeared greenish and the text did not look consistent in color at all. I was able to remedy this by using the custom color setting, opening a webpage, and turning down the green level until it disappeared from the text. I then turned down the other colors so they would be at the same level as the green.

It is a bright monitor, but you can see a decent amount of light bleedthrough on a black screen. This isn't terribly important if you're doing office work, you might find it annoying if you look at dark images or watch movies.

Looking back, I wish that I had saved my money and purchased a higher quality monitor. Readers - if you are a graphic designer and color accuracy is important to you - you may wish to look at another monitor. It's not completely unusable for graphic design, but it's certainly not the best. Portrait mode is highly useful for graphic designers - I found this out after trying another monitor for a project. If you are a graphic designer on a limited budget, you should save your money and buyer a better ViewSonic product that has better image quality and more physical adjustments.

This monitor is not amazing, it doesn't have the best picture in the world, and it most certainly DOES NOT prove that LCDs are just as good as CRT monitors.
on October 13, 2005
No dead pixels, no ghosting. I sure can tell a difference between the 8ms response on this one and the 24ms from my NECs at work. Great color and no manual adjustment needed.
on March 24, 2006
I have had a very difficlt time with lack of tech support and getting a replacement LCD. I started by an email to text support, I never got a reply. I notified Viewsonice 3/1/06 of the problem of viewing text - a red bleed through made the text very hard to read. The text support person didn't have a clue, she said ship the monitor back and fax them the proper paperwork. Two weeks later no reply. I call again, they couldn't tell me if fax arrived. That was information that only third shift people could access (I am not making this up). I had my dealer call. Viewsonic told them to fax the information again. I finally got the LCD on 3/20/06. They didn't send me a return shipping label thus I had to call them again. I asked why it wasn't in the shipping paperwork and was told it isn't included in all shipments.

I tried to calibrate the VA902b on the support page but the unit is not listed.

The new unit is not the picture quality I had hoped. My 7 year Samsung had better quality text and brightness.

I see others are please with there purchase - I still can't believe what happened. I got the unit based upon the postive reviews.
on May 2, 2006
I recently picked up this monitor and I was severely disappointed. I was upgrading from a Viewsonic VA720 and *that* monitor had much better picture quality than this one.

First off, the default color setting of 6500k (pretty much standard) looked horrible. Everything had a green tint to it. The other settings looked equally as bad, with either a red or blue tint. I was forced to switch to sRGB which was the only setting that showed the correct colors. Unfortunately, doing this disables pretty much every other adjustable setting on the monitor including Brightness/Contrast.

Now on sRGB, even though the colors were correct (for the most part), everything was super-contrasted and super-saturated to the point where it was annoying. The gamma in particular was completely off. I had to use my video card's display settings to adjust the gamma, contrast, and brightness (as I had no other way to do it). Even then I could not get it perfect. In particular, the saturation was still bad (a lilac purple became deep indigo for example).

In addition, the slightest change in viewing angle caused a significant change in brightness (slumping down slightly in my chair the screen darkened a great deal). I was playing a game where I had the same icon at the top and bottom of my screen, and the icon at the bottom was ten times brighter than the one at the top.

Another problem I noticed was scanlines. In particular, any repeating pattern of pixels (one solid, one transparent, one solid, etc to create a transparency effect without actual transparency), such as when you highlight an image in Internet Explorer, caused it to go crazy. The area would be covered in scanlines.

Finally, as I think a few people mentioned, there is a problem with the text being very blurry (or I think oversharpened which causes it to be hard to read).

Overall, I was very disappointed. I've already plugged my old monitor back in and I am returning this one. After a few problems with my old one (not nearly this bad!) that caused me to upgrade in the first place, I'm pretty leary about trying another Viewsonic product. If this is what passes for quality, I'm not sure it's worth even considering another one of their monitors.
on March 17, 2006
When I was finally ready to get rid of my regular monitor and upgrade to a flat panel model, I went with a Viewsonic because I'd used the brand before and I like the features I got for the price.

I went with the VA902b for one very specific reason over similar monitor styles made by ViewSonic: this one can hang flat on the wall. The base not only tilts so that you can adjust the viewing angle, but it folds flat vertically, allowing for the ultimate in reclaiming of deskspace, that is, a monitor that doesn't need to sit on the desk at all!

Installation and hookup were easy and the faster video response and super clear image made a few old video games fun all over again. And I've got acres of desk surface that I can give back to things like paper and pens again.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 23, 2005
I have been looking for a 19in lcd for quite a while for the right price, when I came across this viewsonic 19in for$300 and its great response time I was a little skepticle, but after having it for over a month now I have not been disappointed, great picture, super fast response time, no dead pixels just all around great for $300, I recommend this product to anyone looking for a great monitor
on February 27, 2006
For those of you who want to really know how it is to unpack and set this monitor up, keep reading. First of all the positive. The monitor has a great display and the controls are easy to use, once you find out how. To find out though, you have to load the instructions off the cd which comes with the unit. Seems to me, the owners manual should contain all of this. You should not have to load everything and then print the instructions. How much more could a few pages and a little ink cost to put this in the manual? Also, there's the issue of loading the drivers for the system. You must print an instruction page and follow explicit instructions to manually load the drivers off the disc (I'm running XP home edition). It just seems this is all to complicated for a brand new product. Otherwise, the display is great and easy to adjust. A message will come up recommending to run 1280 X 1024 pixels screen resolution for maximum performance. Bottom line, buy this one if you want a BIG monitor display with easy to use controls. The product itself should get 5 stars but I gave 4 stars because of the software issue. As usual,'s service is great and second to none.
on June 5, 2006
We bought 3 of these and every one has dead pixels. It's not a ton, but one monitor has three that are red in the center of the screen, and other has a few that are bright green in the corner. Not a huge deal, but there are some in all 3.
on December 26, 2005
The monitor is great, bright, and sharp. However, in my case, I had to do some tweaking in using the right hertz (better be over 70 Hz), make sure to ease up on the contrast and brighness, use the right color adjust, set the FINE TUNE setting to your own personal value instead of using default values, and lastly, make sure you use the recommended resolution. You would be surprised some people forget to do this, even if the monitor prompts them for it. Or, you can always use the Auto Image Adjust if you must.

Overall, the monitor is a great value, nicely priced at under $300, and the 8ms response time is fabulous for when I play my games. This monitor replaced my old humongous and heavy 19-inch CRT. The monitor size and small footprint pays for itself.
on December 6, 2005
This monitor is a beautiful design, but the image quality just isn't as good as I expected. The text and graphics are slightly blurry...enough to cause eye strain. This could be somewhat acceptible for low-moderate use, but for long-term usage, it will not. I'm returning this, and holding off on a purchase until I can afford a better quality monitor (those that currently price out in the $800 range). The difference is definitely noticable.

See 1 answered question