5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for displaying those precious photos
The Viewsonic Digital Photo Frame (10in) is an all-around great product for displaying those precious photos in your collection. The quality is extremely high and the cropping of photos seems to be realistic and nice. If a photo doesn't fit the frame, the resizing tends to distort the image slightly, but much less than other products of this type.

I highly...
Published on December 29, 2010 by Alex Schwartz

3.0 out of 5 stars OK (if you have the remote), but lacks some useful features
Published on July 29, 2011 by Ethan

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product for displaying those precious photos, December 29, 2010
This review is from: ViewSonic VFD1027w-11 10.2-Inch Digital Photo Frame with 128 MB Internal Memory (Electronics)

I highly recommend the 10 in digital frames; if you are thinking between the sizes, the size difference is quite worth it. Photos are easily seen from a slight distance and the overall appearance just seems nicer.

The main downside to this frame is that it only contains a 100 MB internal memory, which, with high quality photos only holds about 100-200 photos. However, it does contain a USB port and flash memory port for loading files, and the drag-and-drop method of loading images onto the frame is simple for even the most inexperienced user.

Highly recommended item.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK (if you have the remote), but lacks some useful features, July 29, 2011
Ethan (Knoxville, TN) - See all my reviews
I purchased this frame with the intention of placing it on my desk at work and using it for viewing thousands of photos I'd shot of my kids, sporting events, performing arts events, travel, etc. over the years. It was my intention of using the frame as a means of giving plenty of time to look at my work when I'm on the phone, eating, etc., plus the opportunity to delete anything I've later decided isn't so great. This will not work for that purpose (see below), but I decided to keep the unit anyway for use at home on my wall. I ended getting a Sony photo frame for my desk at work.

I own 2 DSLR's and 5 lenses, and tend to shoot thousands of photos. I also have, and occasionally use a point-and-shoot camera which produces images much closer to square (4 x 3) than my DSLR's (3 x 2). I tend to rotate my cameras between vertical and horizontal a lot in order to fill the image with the subject, so I need viewers than enable me to see them all effectively. This device only fulfills part of my needs, as can be seen below.

The Pros:

(1) The price I paid, around $70, was a great deal for this size of frame.

(2) Great for hanging on a wall and viewing wide 3:2 type photos from a DSLR in horizontal orientation. Images look great from a distance of 6 feet or more.

(3) Viewer has the capability to operate in random slide show mode with access to multiple directories on the SD card or USB drive.

(4) Appears to work well with any size or type of SD card. Currently, I have no trouble with an 8 GB card. Does not appear to have any limitations on longer filenames, as would be typical of older units.

The Cons:

(1) No autosensing capability to enable the viewer to be optimally used for photos in vertical orientation. Of course, it does shrink them to fit, but this wastes about 60% of the screen's viewing area. I assumed this capability would be standard, given that I own another frame several years old which has this capability. The arm on the back of the unit does not even permit you to set it in a vertical position.

(2) Image quality is mediocre when viewed at close range, such as when sitting on a desktop. When viewed from 6 or more feet away, it looks good.

(3) No apparent capability to delete photos from the SD card using the remote control or those on the back of the device.

(4) If your only camera is a point-and-shoot with a 4 x 3 aspect ratio, you'll either waste 16.7% of the space on the viewer or be forced to crop the photos.

(5) Like too many electronics manufacturers, Viewsonic makes the mistake of putting features on its cheap, tiny, easily lost remote that are not available anywhere on the device itself. From looking at their website, there is no replacement remote available at any price. If you lose or break the remote, this photo frame will become more difficult to use, since the slideshow does not restart automatically when power is lost, then restored. I was finally able to get the slideshow started without the remote.

(6) The process of entering the initial settings (date, time, viewing preferences, etc.) is a bit cumbersome and does not always work well. It provides no confirmation that you've actually saved the setting, so you can sometimes lose the data you've entered into the settings without realizing it until later. I think the key to avoiding this problem is to be sure and hit ENTER for every setting you change.

1.0 out of 5 stars It seemed like a good idea at the time, December 6, 2011
Pros:
Very simple to setup, just plug and play, very bright display. Even for elderly folk it came with huge simple instructions with 1-5 words per instruction with big pictures and big fonts.

Cons:
Too simple. very basic menu, in fact i was so amazed at how simple it is i took pictures of it and will upload under customers photos...

NO AUTO ROTATION?!?! my cellphone, web cam, laptop, digital camera, wii, gps, and even my little space heater knows which way is up. But this photo frame doesn't and more importantly if you want it to rotate you have to go in photo and rotate it 90 degrees and that process is a very long and annoying process which involves locating the pic on the card directory opening it, rotating it and exiting out and viewing next said pic and restart the process. Now i bought a digital picture frame so i could view hundreds maybe thousands of pics on one picture frame. This would be a nightmare to do if i didn't have a pc... they need to figure something else out.

Crappy resizing. You know that new 16 mega pixel camera? forget about it. You have to turn the settings way down on your camera to get the picture small enough so it fits feasibly on this digital frame, otherwise the auto resize will either 1 not work or 2 look really bad and have horrible pixelation. I had to use a windows 7 image resizing power toy to resize the pics so they wouldn't look AS bad.

It says 10.2" its more like 9 35/36 inch, however, this is a stupid wide screen (which i hate, its a lot wider than it looks in the picture) so unless u specifically reprogram you digital camera to shoot some crazy aspect ratio, all your your pics are either funny stretched or have black boarders around them, which they don't look bad with black boarders around them, but if you measure the "viewable" area, you might as well have bought an 8" frame.

I'm sure grandma wouldn't mind this product because its super simple and looks good (turned off) but normal people wouldn't like this product. I like view sonic products, i really do. i'm actually using one right now for a monitor, but this digital photo frame sucks. Check the customers pics of the product in a few days, i'm going to be uploading some REAL pics of the product to show you what it really looks like.

2.0 out of 5 stars possible lemon?, March 5, 2011
On a positive note, the picture quality and size of the pictures is very good. The frame has settings so you can adjust how long a frame is displayed. I have set it at 3 second intervals, however, the frame automatically switches from 5 to 15 second intervals sporatically. Also, the frame came with a remote to allow one to move forward or backward at will. This function also does not work consistantly. I will be calling the manufacturer to see if they have any suggestions. Perhaps it is just a bad unit?

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and great price!, December 18, 2010
Great frame at a great price. Really easy to use- I use a 2gb usb memory stick and it has no problems finding any playing my pictures. 10 inch digital frame for under $70 - buy it!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great when it works, April 12, 2011
Jason V (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Edit: I tried again emailing a got a fairly fast response the second time. The replacement unit worked much better. This really is a good frame. If my first RMA attempt was succesful, the review would have been glowing.

This is a nice frame, good picture, etc. Its rather large, too. The trouble is with Viewsonic as a company. We got our frame for Christmas. It occasionally locks up. Viewsonic support has been terrible at responding. They ignore email, and live support is only available during a small window of the day when I'm at work.

So if you get one that works fine out of the box, its great. If not, return it right away.

1.0 out of 5 stars Abysmal Failure, June 23, 2011
Marcus Aurelius "hymark" (chicago, il United States) - See all my reviews
Historically Viewsonic products I have had were stellar. These frames were failures. One frame was dead on arrival. The other worked but as a product it is rather poor. It has very limited features but worst of all it does not resize properly and fit the screen as it should. When I did make one ajustment, it did size properly but it was more of a fudge adjustment than what it should be. Screen size ultimately was too small for what I wanted. FINALLY, I called tech support and talked to a gentleman who said that he would have to escalate my inquiry (about pictures being cutoff at top/bottom) and that the higher level support was not available until the next morning. He said he sent an email with all of my information (name, number, email) and that they would get back to me within 2 days. It is now over 1 week, I have already returned both products, and have not heard from tech support. Best decision I made in this whole process was to send this product back and get the other one I had been looking at, the Deluxe NIX 12-Inch Hu-Motion. Used it for a wedding party and it worked as expected and flawlessly out of the box - and picture quality and frame size where both superior to the Viewsonic product.

5.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is... A photo frame, and a bloody good one at that., May 27, 2011
My son bought me a Samsung 7" photo frame for the office and it's a great frame for up-close on the desk, but when it came to something for the wife to have on the mantle at home I wanted something a little bigger and one that looked more like a real wooden frame.

The ViewSonic fits the bill perfectly and has a crystal clear, bright screen with enough definition to look like a real photograph.

The interface was simple and easy to configure and so simple a child could figure it out. Still, the wife shied away from loading in her images and left it all to me. I guess she figures why have a dog and do all the barking yourself.

The remote was a real nice touch. The frame just gets left plugged in and we turn it on an off from the comfort of the lounge chair. I know it's just another remote beside the chair but what can I say, gadgets are my thing and I'm just a remote kind of guy.

I'm happy with the frame, and best of all, she's over the moon with how it looks as well. We're now considering buying one for the in-laws for Xmas and pre-loading it with pictures of the grandchildren prior to wrapping it.

So in Summary... it looks good, it's simple to use, has a great picture, and came at a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars High resolution, great price, December 29, 2010
B. Gross "EVOX" (Indianapolis, IN USA) - See all my reviews
I bought this as a Christmas present and I'm glad it was for my significant other so it can stay in the house.

The frame has a good size and one of the best resolutions on a digital frame that I have seen. The picture is bright with good contrast and detail.

The only thing I will mention is that I've found that pictures that are sized perfectly for the resolution look better than those that have to be resized by the internal processor. In other words, pictures that the internal processor resizes are a little fuzzy compared to pictures that I've cropped and resized in Photoshop. But this is a common "issue" with all digital frames that most people would never notice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great buy!, December 30, 2010
This is a high quality product. The black frame is classy and the pictures display beautifully and brightly. It is extremely easy to use. I hooked it up to my mother-in-law's computer with a usb port and uploaded pictures to it. It includes the usb cord to fit a computer and the frame. It looks as if the cord would fit a standard camera as well. Though it says it will only display jpg files, it did display some bitmap pictures that I saved from facebook.

The frame offers a variety of functions. The slideshow offers several options for how long each picture is to be displayed. I think it goes between 3 seconds up to an hour, with a big jump from either 1 minute or 5 minutes to 15. There are also a handful of slide transitions to choose from. Pictures can be rotated in the frame using the remote, but I found that every time the pictures cycled through we had to rerotate some of them. Along the same lines, the frame will only correctly display either vertical or horizontal pictures.

I would definitely recommend this product. It made an excellent Christmas present for my mother-in-law. She LOVED it!