Verified Purchase
I grabbed this ViewSonic VFD1028W-11 10.1-Inch Digital Photo Frame during an Amazon Lightning Deal just before Christmas. The price seems good since it was available for the same cost as the Pandigital Panimage PI8004W01B 8-Inch LED Digital Photo Frame (which I purchased more than one year ago). Upon examining the ViewSonic frame, however, I was disappointed.

First of all, this ViewSonic is a bare-bone photo frame, with none of the fancy functions available on my old Pandigital photo frame. That means no WiFi transfer mode, no music/video playback capability, no navigation function, etc. Even the photo slide show function is very limited. At power up, this photo frame simply starts the slide show from the first image file it finds on the memory card, and moves on to the next one. The slide show is in the order the files were written to the card, and you cannot sort it by file name or file date. That makes viewing the slide show somewhat confusing, especially since you cannot display picture info such as 'picture taken date' on screen.

Initially, image quality displayed on the ViewSonic frame is horribly. The pictures were too bright and very harsh. It turns out that the default setting for Brightness, Contrast and Saturation were all set to '9'. After I changed them to '6', the images became more acceptable. However, a more serious problem is with the LCD screen aspect ratio.

Although this ViewSonic photo frame is advertised to have a diagonal screen size of 10.1 inches, the actual photo display area is much smaller. This is because the LCD has a resolution of 1024x600, which gives an aspect ratio of 1.7 to 1 (width to length). This ratio is commonly used by wide-screen TVs and tablets. But for a photo frame this is a BAD choice, because a typical digital point-and-shoot camera has an aspect ratio of 1.33 to 1 (or 4:3).

Here's what happens when you display a 4:3 photo on this wide-screen LCD panel:
- The default display mode ('Full Screen') will stretch the width of the image to fill the whole screen. In doing so, it creates horrible distortion that makes everybody look short and fat.
- You can change the display mode to 'Crop to Fit'. This expands the image to fill the width of the screen, but cuts off about 20% of the image from top and bottom. Would you rather look short and fat, or have part of your head cut off? Tough Choice!
- If you change the display mode to 'Fit to Screen', only the center 800x600 region of the display is utilized. The remaining 20% of the display area is simply blackened.

Bottom line: I got this new '10.1-inch' photo frame, but the image it displays is not much bigger than that on my old 8-inch Pandigital frame (with 4:3 aspect ratio). I still consider it an acceptable value at the Lightning Deal price I paid. Definitely don't pay full price for it.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
This is an especially nice digital picture frame in that its large 10.1" size enables you to view your photographs close-up or at a fair distance away. While I had never heard of ViewSonic before; the quality appears to be first rate and the performance has been flawless over the past few months. The 1024 X 600 resolution provides for exceptionally crisp images with no discernible loss in quality. The backlit LED display provides for stunning picture quality, as well as for a perfect level of brightness. The ebony frame itself is especially nice looking and with its white border, reminds me of a traditional type picture frame. It comes with 128 MB of storage, however if you have a large library of photographs this is expandable. Set-up was extremely easy, which is something that I especially like when buying something new. I highly recommend this item.
on February 6, 2013
Verified Purchase
We needed a new photo frame to showcase photos of a once-in-a-lifetime vacation. We wanted to see the photos daily and remember a most wonderful experience. This frame fits the bill because it has good picture quality and many different features. There is an option to select the "pattern" for switching photos from one to another - we selected to use them all, so it is not boring as the photos swap out. We use the option that turns the frame on automatically at 7:30 am and shuts it off at 11 pm .... so we enjoy the photos all day. We like the white mat, which looks like a framed photo.

The two cons from our perspective is that a battery option (only runs on electric power) would enable us to place it on the wall and the vertical photos are either smaller than the frame size or stretched to odd proportions.
on December 27, 2012
Verified Purchase
I had nothing but issues with this product, whose only saving grace was that Amazon supported my needs.

I purchased this as a gift for my 80-year old mother-in-law. One tip a friend gave me is that when giving a digital frame as a gift, make it easier by having the settings (calendar date, time, time zone) all done for the recipient, and preparing the pictures by either uploading or placing on an external drive to accompany the gift, making sure that the slideshow runs without issue. So . . .

The frame that came rattled excessively when I unwrapped it. It was a concern, but I thought I should see if it worked before worrying. Although it booted up, the date and time would not program; each time I did it, the factory setting came back as soon as I exited from that setting page. Then I tried to run the pictures from a USB flash drive and encountered many issues which I was not even sure were from the frame, but I had no way to know. I called the support for the company, ViewSonic. I explained what was happening and clearly was not understood. Because there were 2 sides to the issue, first he tried to tackle the date/time issue by instructing me to go to settings and reset the frame back to the factory settings. The frame failed to respond, so he said it was broken and to send it back. He didn't address the other issue at all.

Working with Amazon I was able to send it back AND receive another one within a short time span in order to make my Christmas gift deadline. The moment I received it I started trying to program again. This time I started with the bigger issue, and tried to make the pictures work. I still had the same issue, so it was as I suspected, an issue with the flash drive, however, I didn't know how to fix it. I called ViewSonic once again, got the same support tech, who didn't want to hear from me! He couldn't give me any suggestions, made it clear I was a pain, and refused to let me speak to another tech or his supervisor. He took my email address and told me a technical person would write to me with an upgrade to load to the frame if there was one. So, although I didn't see this as the frame issue, the company was an issue - my 80-year old mother-in-law would never use the thing if it wouldn't be easy, so it was not going to be a great present!

On the same page on Amazon I saw a listing for another brand's frame. I had to go to the real store to purchase it, but I did anyway. That store, and the employees, bent over backward to help me get it all done in time, just as Amazon had for me. This time, the competing company support desk DID understand what I was citing as the issue, and even though he was a PC user and I am a Mac user, together we found a solution to the problem by researching forums on line, and his technical savvy helped me know what to do. So, this competitor's frame programmed date, time, and ran the pictures, finally, and I knew it would work for her - and it does, and she loves it.

Although I understand that one of the issues was entirely on my side, the support, or "help" line was not supportive or helpful. It is now 1 1/2 weeks later, and I have not heard from that illustrious technical person who would send a download for me, or even an email saying sorry, don't know. I will not buy a product from ViewSonic, ever, if this is their idea of customer service. And, I would never recommend a product from them.
on February 28, 2013
Verified Purchase
This was a gift to our mother. She is not tech savvy, but found the unit simple to use. It has enough capacity for the photos that we uploaded and organized on it. The size is fine, the quality very good, and everything worked as advertised.
on May 22, 2013
Verified Purchase
I bought this frame around Christmas time as a Gold Box Deal. We got it up and running after the holidays. It is now May, and the frame has started freezing on random pictures and doesn't proceed or shut itself off like it is programed to do. We reboot the frame and the same happens. Before this it worked great. The return policy was only for a month, so we are now stuck with it. Recommend not buying, even if it's on special.
Verified Purchase
I bought this for my mom so she could look at a bunch of pictures she had been keeping in a box. Since she just turns it on and looks at it the controls don't effect her that much. It was nice to be able to program a stop and start time for her. Maybe some day I'll tell here about the calendar feature, most likely not.
on March 22, 2013
Verified Purchase
We were upgrading from smaller frames. It was a bit of a challenge to get the photos oriented properly, but the FAQ on the Viewsonic website provided enough clues to get the job done. Color and resolution are good. The random patterns for changing slides are entertaining. All in all, a good value for the price.
on January 9, 2013
Verified Purchase
Bought this for my sister for Christmas. She keeps it running all the time with pics of her dog and baby, says she loves it. Haven't had any of the issues I saw posted. Resizing is pretty straightforward.
on January 17, 2013
Verified Purchase
It did not work properly especially when it's the [Calender] mode.

The firmware version was #20120829-1.

(1) ViewSonic tech support person told me that I should restore the default setting to fix the problem.
However, no matter how many times I tried, the clock did not work. It displayed the numbers 01-01-2011, 12:00 AM on the Date and Time pages. The numbers of clock did not change at all.

(2) After a couple of hours I turned off the power of the photo frame, when I restored the default setting again, the clock started sometimes.

(3) However, I changed the mode, for example, from [Photo] to [Calendar], or from [Setting] to [Calendar] and then the clock stops.

(4) While I was watching the slideshow, when I press the TIME button on the remote control, it of course goes to [Calendar] mode, but the clock stops at that moment.

(5) When (4) happens, sometimes I could not even turn off the power. (Both the Power On/Off switch on the remote control and Power On/Off switch locates on the backside of the photo frame did not work) The photo frame completely freezes and I couldn't do anything.

Not Recommend.