Published 18 months ago by B. Khan

3.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the panel lottery
Edit: Read update at the bottom.
So first off let me begin with the actual monitor quality:

Pros:
- Excellent stand (nice and durable though some may find it a tad unwieldy)
- Turns left and right, you can also tilt and rotate the panel.
- Simple, but effective bezel design
- Produces very little heat
- Plenty of inputs
-...
Published 11 months ago by What is a pen name

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow what an awesome yet underrated display!! MUCH better than Dell U2713HM or cheap Korean imports., March 15, 2013
B. Khan (Scottsdale, AZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: ViewSonic VP2770-LED 27-Inch SuperClear IPS LED-Lit Professional Monitor, WQHD 2560x1440, Pre-Calibrated, 1.07b Colors (Personal Computers)
I know all the rage is about the Dell U2713HM or those cheap Korean S-IPS imports (Achieva, Catleap, Overlord etc) and even I fell for the hype and ordered a Korean Achieva Shimian 1440P S-IPS panel. While it had a very nice picture, the quality of the panel itself was pure garbage. Meaning about 50% of the display had light leakage, terrible viewing angles (IPS glow galore) and the colors were not accurate (though I'm sure calibration would have fixed that). The housing of the Korean monitor looked like it was put together by a couple kids in a garage using standard screws you find at Lowes--basically you get what you pay for.

I've also had the opportunity to use a Dell U2713HM and it also suffered from ugly crosshatching due to its AG coating and massive backlight bleed, again, not worth the premium Dell charges given the shoddy quality. I've also read about image burn in with the Dell U2713HM so that was enough to make me steer clear of Dell.

Now on to the Viewsonic: This thing screams quality from the packaging to the housing to the actual display quality.

Box: Large box with excellent packaging to keep the display safe from delivery abuse.

Calibrated from the factory: Upon unboxing it, you are greeted with a calibration report from the factory with the delta E values (<3) and the corresponding curves--NICE!

Build quality: The Viewsonic branding is barely even visible on the front of the display, its a nice black matte finish with touch controls. The stand is fairly large and very durable with the base made of metal.

Picture quality: A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! This display doesn't have PWM backlighting like Asus, doesn't have the ugly AG coating crosshatching or image burn in of the Dell U2713HM and certainly doesn't have the massive backlight bleeding + crap quality of the Korean displays. What it does give you is what you expect for the money--a quality product with beautiful colors, deep blacks and minimal to no backlight bleed (mine has none). IPS glow? I don't see it on mine vs the Achieva Shimian that had it all over + backlight bleed.

Ghosting/Input lag: If you read Prad.de's review, they tested this thing's input lag with an oscilloscope and found it had a max of around 12ms lag. I used to be a heavy gamer with CRT displays and I can tell you this display does very well, probably better than most short of 1 ms TN gaming panels.

OSD/Controls: This is where I knock one point off. The touch controls are too sensitive and the menu is not intuitive. Once you get used to the overly sensitive controls, its manageable but still a hassle.

Inputs + Cables: You've got DVI, HDMI, display port, USB and others so what else do you need? Viewsonic generously supplies all the cables with it (VGA, display port, USB, HDMI, DVI-D).

Overall: 9/10. If this display had better controls + OSD I'd give it 10/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars Viewsonic VP2770 vs Asus PB278Q, May 24, 2013
Comming from HP IPS Z24w 1920x1200, I was impressed with Asus PB278Q. its contrast is much better, white is white. color is rich. For second 27", I want to try out the more expensive Viewsonic VP2770. I was even more impressed with VP2770. Both Asus and Viewsonic use the same Samsung PLS panel. I did not expect them to be very different. I first thought that Asus is my favorite and would be my main monitor. after using Viewsonic for a day, I made it my main monitor. Here is why:

Viewsonic vs Asus:
1) VP2770 Color is excellent and well balanced out of the box. This is due to Professional factory calibrated colours. Asus does not have factory calibrated colours. Color is over saturated, especially blue. No matter how I manually adjusted Asus, Viewsonic looks better in general.
2) Asus displayport has an issue with monitor sleep where it won't wake up from monitor sleep(see update below). PC S4 sleep state works fine but not monitor sleep. I tried so many displayport cables. I even opened up the cable head and make sure pin 20 is disconnected, per displayport spec. Viewsonic displayport wakes up fine with either monitor sleep or PC state S4 sleep.
3) Asus HDMI supports 2560x1440 while viewsonic HDMI does not (see update below). So for Viewonic, use either displayport or DVI. For Asus, use either HDMI or DVI. you can use asus displayport for 2560x1440 if you can deal with sleep issue.
4) Viewsonic white is warmer, toward tint, while asus white is cooler, toward blueish.
5) I like Asus physical button better viewsonic touch button. touch button is a pain to use in a low light room.

Asus & Viewsonic common Pros:
1) Semi-Glossy Coating looks better than matte screen of the HP z24w
2) black looks blacker than HP IPS z24w
3) use only 40w and the screen stays cool for hours of usage. HP z24w is more than warm.

updated: just got GTX 770 and did a few test:
1) Asus sleep issue mentioned above only happens when using Intel on-board displayport on Gigabyte Mobo Z77; it works fine using displayport from GTX 770 or from the new Intel Haswell GPU.
2) viewsonic HDMI does support 2560x1440 using HDMI from GTX 770 or from the new Intel Haswell GPU even though the manual says not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent monitor after making one single adjustment, May 23, 2013
Mark Lahren (Bismarck, North Dakota USA) - See all my reviews
When I first received this monitor, I was extremely pleased with every aspect of it. Brilliant colors, and no dead or odd pixels at all. It appeared perfect, until I viewed an all-black screen to test the backlight bleedthrough. There, I noticed that both right-hand corners had some noticeable bleedthrough, which was pretty upsetting considering what I paid to have a brand-name display. Also, after about a half-hour of trying out a few games, I noticed that my eyes were starting to hurt, and my girlfriend walked by and remarked, "How can you stand it? It's so bright, I can only look at it for two seconds before I have to look away!"

I then went to TFT Central, where I read a very thorough review of this monitor. They mentioned that the monitor comes factory pre-set at 100% brightness, with a luminance of 300 cd/m2, which they said was far too bright. They recommended setting the brightness down to 18%, which would bring the luminance to 121 cd/m2, which they consider optimal. A setting of 18% seemed very radical to me, and I had severe doubts, but I tried it, and after only a few seconds, it seemed just perfect, and still does. My eyes no longer hurt, and my girlfriend agrees that it looks "just right" now. Also, that setting also resulted in the elimination of my backlight bleedthrough problem. That single adjustment has resulted in a perfect monitor for me. So please keep this in mind, as I was considering returning the monitor because of this.

My previous monitor was a Samsung T240, which was capable of "only" 1920 x 1200, so I was worried that the jump up to this 2560 x 1440 monitor would be too much for my GTX570 video card to handle as far as gaming. So I tested it with a few modern games at 2560 x 1440, while leaving all other in-game settings as they were, and did notice a framerate drop, but not nearly as severe as I'd feared. I lost an average of around 30% frames per second, but some in-game tweaking could bring that back, although I probably won't do that since I'm still getting around 40 fps in most modern games (such as "Bioshock: Infinite" and "Ghost Warrior 2") with most settings cranked fairly high. It's not *quite* as smooth as I'd like, but everything is still very playable as-is. That said, I wouldn't want to play modern games at 2560 x 1440 with much less than the aforementioned GTX570 (or ATI equivalent), as I think the GTX570 is about at the low end of what I'm comfortable with for that resolution. Of course, you could always lower the resolution in-game, but I swear, once you've seen "Bioshock: Infinite" running at 2560 x 1440 with most options set to high, you'll have a hard time turning it down to anything lower. It looks glorious!

One drawback for some people might be that the stand for this monitor is quite large. I was a little concerned about this when I ordered it, but I've found it not to be much of a problem, as the two "front" feet stick mostly far to the sides (as opposed to foreward - see photos), thus still leaving me plenty of deskspace for spreading out papers. I did leave the shorter back foot sticking a bit off the back of my desk, increasing the deskspace in front. And it's still very stable. This monitor is never going to tip over.

Also, I was very pleased that Viewsonic included every cable for every hook-up the monitor supports. One thing I did wrong was assume I could just use the same DVI cable I'd been using with my other monitor for this one. When I did, I got an extremely bad picture. Turns out you NEED to use the DVI-D cable that comes with the monitor. The one that came with my other monitor was a DVI-I cable, which will not work properly with this monitor. Don't worry though. The included DVI-D cable will plug right in to your DVI port on your videocard. So details like including every cable you might possibly need was a big selling point for me. There's nothing like hooking up a piece of tech in the middle of the night, only to find out you can't use it for lack of a simple cable. No such worries here, as they've included them all. A CD with drivers is also included, but not necessary, as they were found online, and installed automatically. The only thing I used the CD for was to view the pdf manual.

So overall, I am extremely happy with this monitor. I bought the Viewsonic brand based on my positive experiences with them in the 1990's, and it appears they still know what it takes to make a great one. The only thing that really puzzles me is why in the world they chose to ship these out with the brightness set at 100%. Other than that however, I can find no fault with this excellent monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at first sight, February 27, 2013
I purchased the Viewsonic VP2770-LED for a client who is a professional photographer and travel writer. I had the good fortune of testing it out for a few days before delivering it to the client. Next to my nice, trusty Asus VW246 there is simply no comparison. 27" is not a ton larger than the 24.6" of the ASUS, but the pixel density is a joy. I am not having any trouble reading the slightly smaller text--the increase in the screen size partially off-sets the increased pixel density, but it is the clarity of this monitor that really does the job. I can read small print significantly better than on the Asus, despite the actual size of the text being smaller. The matte finish is fantastic and the fit and finish of the monitor is perfect. View angles are excellent. The power LED is a very soft, dim blue that does not blind or distract like other monitor power LEDs do. The lighting, clarity, and colors are very even across the LCD surface. The Viewsonic VP2770-LED is significantly lighter than I expected, with fantastic and solid adjustments for tilt, pivot, height, and swivel. The touch-sensitive adjustment controls work very well and are not moronically set up like they are on other LCD monitors.

The factory calibration was VERY close to the calibration achieved with an X-Rite and DispCal. Viewsonic did a very good job with the original color profile, although I dropped the out-of-the-box brightness from 100 to about 45.

I experienced the same problem other folks did with HDMI only running 1080p. That's fine--I'm running the monitor using DisplayPort, so I'm not going to put any effort into troubleshooting it. Make sure that you use the included cables. My existing DVI cable did not have enough pins to run this monitor properly--I had red lines going all over the screen. I used the DVI cable that came with the Viewsonic, and all is well.

I watch movies, play video games, do a lot of research on the internet and work with a lot of excel, word, and other text items. It performs better at all of these tasks than any LCD screen that I have ever used.

I questioned why someone would spend nearly eight hundred dollars on an LCD screen unless it was absolutely necessary, or they had a crazy amount of money. After using this LCD for a couple days, I understand.

It will be very difficult for me to give this monitor up at the end of the week--I now know what my own next significant purchase will be.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality Control Issues - Bright Spots, April 6, 2013
I read several reviews stating QC issues with bright spots on the monitor. But given the number of positive reviews, I took the plunge. Sure enough, I have two bright spots. The worst one is 3 inches diagonally from the lower right corner. It has a 3D effect and moves around when you change the viewing angle. It's clearly a hot LED behind the screen. It's not subtle and doesn't change when lowering the brightness. Reference a dead pixel test website such as [...]. The hot spot is very noticeable on the red, white and green screens, and somewhat noticeable on the blue screens. It is not noticeable on the black screen. I posted a picture of the screen and hot spota.

As for the rest of the monitor, it is stunning! It brings life to my amateur photographs. I want to like the monitor so much that I'll go through the pain of sending it back and hoping the replacement is not defective. I really want to like this monitor. I'll update my review when I get the replacement.

Update: the replacement monitor has no defects or bright spots. It's stunning! Rating upgraded to four stars, maintaining a one star ding for the QC issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Display, December 31, 2012
It was either this or a Dell U2711. The anti-glare coating on the 2711 was just too harsh. The anti-glare coating on the VP2770 is perfect. Whites are still white (instead of gray on more aggressive anti-glare panels), text is incredibly crisp, and images are stunning. The OSD is easy to use and makes sense.

The stand provides full adjustability and rotation. The stand is large however from back to front. Viewsonic says it is 13.7" back to front, so if you are cramped for desk space, beware. I pulled my desk out a little bit, and let part of the stand hang over the back of my desk.

I am using this on a Mac, as I can't stand glossy displays if I can help it, and it is perfect with a mini displayport to displayport cable. The factory calibration is perfect. No adjustment needed out of the box, except to lower the brightness a bit. While other monitors get more press and hype, this monitor flies under the radar, and provides a beautiful picture for $200 less than the nonadjustable mirror like Thunderbolt display. Another big plus is that the VP2770 generates practically no heat unlike other monitors which will heat a room.

When my old 30 inch Cinema Display dies, I will be buying a second VP2770 to replace it for that machine.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitor for the Price, December 26, 2012
Pros:
- Gloriously large
- Terrific image
- Plain, black design (which I like)
- Great price for the features
- USB 3 ports

Cons:
- Have to lower the sharpness setting to 0 or 25 in order to make text less jaggy
- My new Windows 8 machine seems to have problems with the USB hub built into the monitor

Comments:
Am repeatedly getting blue screens of death, with "driver-power-state-failure" error on waking from sleep. Then monitor USB hub isn't recognized until unplugging it and reconnecting. Still troubleshooting this one . . . .

Aside from the USB hub issue, which I haven't seen others comment on, this monitor can't be beat for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars So good you don't notice it, July 31, 2013
For many years I have had an old 20" Dell LCD monitor. The more I got into photography the more this monitor bothered me as I was always noticing its pixels, blotches of color and wide variances of brightness across the screen.

I finally sprung for a Viewsonic 27" VP2770-LED PLS (although its marketing refers to it as IPS) monitor. I've heard so many positives about having IPS/LPS, higher resolution (2560x1440) and a larger screen for photo editing. Based on some of the reviews of this monitor I thought I would be more impressed than when I bought my first full frame camera.

Yes the bigger screen is nice (but not as big as I thought it would be), the higher resolution is nice (except for the smaller font it creates) and the consistent image quality including brightness and color across the screen and my inability to see a pixel is fairly impressive. No stuck, hot or dead pixels however some slight light bleeding at the top during start-up when the screen is supposed to be black. For the money I paid for it, it was nice but it did not wow me.

It comes calibrated from the factory for sRGB and its personal calibration sheet is included. I will say that pictures do look really good on this monitor. Even ones I have taken and have looked at numerous times on my old monitor now look different... I can see so many more subtleties in the image and the colors look so natural.

But the funny thing about this monitor after only several days of use is how I don't even know this monitor exists. The images seem so pure and consistent it feels a lot more like I am looking at them printed vs. on a an electric monitor. The bezel is thin and all the parts are matte black. This further helps this monitor disappear.

In summary, it is interesting paying a premium to not get noticed. This monitor does its job amazingly as it hides in the shadows. Unlike expensive cameras whose looks can end up being part of the experience, this monitor is about making the viewer feel a part of the image rather than the monitor being a presenter of an image.

The more I don't notice it, the more impressed I am.

Update 1/24/14: So I've had this monitor a while and it unfortunately has spoiled me! Recently I have been in situations having to look at pictures I've taken on other monitors and wow, do they not do my pictures justice. The colors on this monitor remain exceptional. This remains an exceptional monitor... better than I first realized.

3.0 out of 5 stars Welcome to the panel lottery, October 11, 2013
Edit: Read update at the bottom.
So first off let me begin with the actual monitor quality:

Pros:
- Excellent stand (nice and durable though some may find it a tad unwieldy)
- Turns left and right, you can also tilt and rotate the panel.
- Simple, but effective bezel design
- Produces very little heat
- Plenty of inputs
- Comes with all of the cables you will ever need (including DisplayPort, which is great)
- Excellent factory calibration. This has been much talked about in all review sites and forums, but this monitor has excellent calibration. Probably don't even need to mess with it.
- Semi-glossy finish which does not degrade image quality while still not being very reflective.
- Some of the best response times possible for an IPS/PLS panel of this resolution and size. Excellent for gaming, as far as these larger, high resolution, high quality panels go... in fact one of the best. Set it Advanced, though, not the highest setting.
- Does not use PWM dimming.
- The PS3 looks great on it, and the the DAC sound appears to be pretty decent.

Cons:
- The touch-sensitive buttons are a miss. Fancy, but it's very difficult to tell what you're hitting without any feedback. I think the Dell U2711 had the best out of any of these that I have tried in terms of menus.
- Stand is a bit high by default. Most monitors are lower. It's not a big deal but this one will be higher than your other monitors at rest. It can be tilted down, though.
- No built in speakers... but this isn't a big deal honestly; most built in speakers on monitors tend to be crap. Being able to simply plug in some cheap speakers is far better.
- There is a red tint to the screen. This generally isn't noticeable unless you have another monitor beside it which does not have a red tint, but if you do, you'll notice it.

How does it compare to competitors?
- The Dell U2713HM is the most common competitor. Do not get one. It will have some kind of panel defect, and it has worse specs than this for gaming (not a huge difference). The U2713HM has crosshatching (which is an issue unique to it, and was actually not entirely solved in the newest panel revisions), burn in (lower revisions), backlight bleed (possibly in all revisions, more common in older ones), and, in the newest revisions, terrible motion performance. All of these are well documented on forums; if you don't notice them... well then I guess it's not a big deal.

- The Dell U2711 is not a competitor; worse for gaming, saturated colors due to 10 bit, and a ridiculous anti-glare coating that will leave your eyes hurting.

- For everything else (minus Korean)... most other monitors (ie ASUS PB278Q, etc) will have a few trade-offs but nothing spectacular. Mostly though the Viewsonic has noticeably great factory calibration and less delay for gaming. The others are mostly not going to be terrible; I just wanted to single out the U2713HM, as it is a horrible choice (cheaper though it may be).

- Korean monitors are a bit of a lottery, but not a bad alternative to this monitor all things considered. They will likely have much more backlight bleed, but a pixel perfect one might be almost comparable... though the bezel will usually suck, and you'll have less display inputs and everything else. They're half the price though.

So why am I docking two stars?

HORRIBLE QUALITY CONTROL! This is not a new story amongst 27 inch, 1440p monitors at all. The Viewsonic is simply no different. It might in fact be slightly worse.

I am currently on my third panel (though if you include all of the other 27 inch monitors I have gone through, which include the likes of the Samsung 970D (stuck Pixel center), ASUS PB278Q (dead pixel), Dell U2713HM (crosshatching), and Dell U2711 (terrible anti-glare), this is about my 8th or so monitor total):

- The first one had slight backlight bleed (usually in the top and then this annoying grey smudge in the middle that was likely between the cover and the panel. Oh, and a stuck pixel right beside that. It could only be seen on a completely black background, but I noticed it.
- The second had terrible backlight bleed in the lower left corner and a stuck pixel in the lower left region.

- The final one that I am on, and likely keeping, has a bit of backlight bleed in 2-3 regions, and a... something that's similar to a stuck grey pixel that I finally found after searching for the past 2-3 days for defects (only visible on certain colors and very hard to find even then). Nothing major at all, and the backlight bleed does not extend far in...

- But still... you're paying $700+ for monitors that are like this. The compromises you will make with these Viewsonics will likely not be as large as the ones you have to make with cheap Korean monitors on average, but let me just say that going through 3 of them before getting an "acceptable" (note not perfect, just acceptable) one is really ridiculous, considering the costs

- I will also give you a word of caution when dealing with Amazon. Your replacements will come quick, and your returns will be returned painlessly (if you use pickup, which I highly suggest doing so)... but they can become more difficult. For instance, I had to fight to get my second replacement accepted, with the individual on the other side pushing me towards a Return because (what I finally found out the reason was) their system does not allow you to replace something again "for the same reason". When I finally explained to them that it was not for the same reason, they were willing to. Like me, you will likely get a total of 3 "tries" to get an acceptable monitor.

Notes:

- I think at this point almost all of the ones I have read about have at least a small amount of backlight bleed, commonly along the top. That should be considered "acceptable." Maybe a small bit more in x or y corner is also alright.
- However, if it's easily visible in well-lit scenarios, and it intrudes more than an inch inwards, at your common brightness level (this comes at 100% so turn it down to where you'll be using it before testing in a dark room), I would recommend returning it... unless again you just don't care; make sure it's backlight bleed and not IPS/PLS glow, though; read more about that elsewhere.
- I would not recommend tolerating any easily visible defects. Not at this price point.

Final thoughts: an excellent monitor. A better choice than all of its competitors, for all around use which includes gaming. However, be wary that you're entering a lottery drawing with these panels. If you're a perfectionist (I'm just picky, I'm not at that level), you will likely not be satisfied with your first monitor... or perhaps any of them.

Edit: Actually after testing this third one out for a week, I consistently have a problem where when I first start up the monitor each day the backlight flickers and then slowly seems to stabilize. However, I notice that I get more eyestrain viewing this than any of the other 1440p monitors I've had in the past. I think it may still be flickering, just not in an obvious way. I'm noticing afterimages when I look around on the screen. It appears I have another defective one. I'm deciding whether to dock another star or not but either way this time I'm just outright returning the monitor. 3 defective ones in a row, too much hassle. I'll probably just get a cheap Korean or something.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor, poor software and interface, October 19, 2013
I got this monitor based solely on reviews regarding its incredible picture- all of which are true. However, coming from the Dell Ultrasharp series - a relationship that ended when the u2713hm had more backlight bleeding than picture - I can only say that almost everything else is disappointing at this price range.

Sure, there's plenty of connection options like the dell, but no PiP, PbP, or any other options. Yes, the (awkwardly shaped, space-consuming) stand is rotatable, tiltable and height-adjustable, but where as the dell's flow smoothly from position to position, the viewsonic plastic just feels jerky and liable to break (I tried to rotate the monitor once and stopped halfway in fear of breaking it). Yes you can adjust things in the menu, but over an extremely limited range of options and with a very counter-intuitive and un-friendly interface. Yes, there's a USB hub, but it's awkwardly placed. Yes, There's allegedly a software component, but that hasn't been upgraded since windows 95 and I couldn't install it. And at least for my money, the cheap "touch" buttons are an annoying and poor alternative to quality mechanical buttons.

So why 4 stars? Because really, the picture is incredible and requires very little tuning, there's minimal bleeding (which almost any monitor at these sizes will have), and an otherwise very uniform picture quality. And while all the rest is very nice, a great picture should be the main consideration when getting a monitor. So I'd highly-recommend this one over the dell, at least until they get their s*** together regarding the major issues with the 2713hm series. However, people who regularly use the rotation and height-adjustment should consider carefully before getting this monitor.

Rate and Discover Movies