I bought this monitor because of the specs which rate it at 40,0000 to 1 contrast ratio, and it advertises 'blacker blacks' and brighter colors. Also, the fact that it is covered by a standard 3-year warranty does not hurt, and for the price, it's right.

Published on August 20, 2012 by M.C.P.

1.0 out of 5 stars From bad to worse
Originally I bought 2 of them trying to setup as dual display. One of them did not work, Amazon said "it is out of stock and we don't know when it will come back" thus refuse to give me a replacement. I think it might have been discontinued due to the various problems, and when I returned it, Amazon charged a restock fee. Since I was late to discover it was dysfunctional,...
Published 14 months ago by H. Peng

5.0 out of 5 stars Great color, but be sure to calibrate the monitor first thing, August 20, 2012
This review is from: ViewSonic VX2460H-LED 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor (Personal Computers)

I hooked it up as a secondary monitor on my multi-monitor setup with an HDMI to DVI male-male cable, since my graphics card is a couple of years old and doesn't have HDMI outputs.

No complaints about compatibility, everything worked right out of the box, but next to my LCD Westinghouse LCM 19V7 the native HDMI output appears to be "washed out".

Of course I didn't expect the color settings to match on both monitors, but I was expecting a picture that would 'jump out' in comparison to my older primary display. I tried using the PC settings on the graphics card control panel, but although the colors were brighter, the aspect ratio was not correct, so items on the desktop were distorted, for example the clock gadget is supposed to be round, and if I put it at 1600 x 1200 ratio under the PC settings, it became an oval-shaped clock instead. So I put it back to its native 1920 x 1080p resolution until I can figure out what are the best settings. The graphics card is an XFX GEForce 9800GT (NVidia chipset), so upgrading the card to the newer Radeon series may give me more resolution options, but it's not high on the priority list for right now.

I have given it a provisional 4 stars due to these facts, and once I figure out how to tweak the settings so the displays more closely match, I will revisit this review and adjust the rating accordingly.

The picture is sharp, and the 24" display provides plenty of screen real estate so I can have all my windows open and side-by-side on my video and sound editing programs, so no complaints there.

My overall impression of the monitor right out of the box (ease of setup, compatibility, picture sharpness and clarity) is that I like it, but I will like it better once I figure out how to make the displays more closely match (as much as possible between an LCD and an LED monitor, that is).

EDIT: (8/21/12) After doing a little research, I figured out how to calibrate the monitors, and with a little adjustment of the primary monitor's color settings, I now have the two monitors fairly close to one another in color and tint, and the calibration is pretty close to what it should be.

There is a tool for calibration built in to Windows 7, and if you do a little digging, you can find it and it is a great help in getting your monitor where it should be.

After calibrating both monitors, I must say, now I can see where the advantage of the 40,000:1 contrast ratio comes in handy because the gamma guide I used shows the individual graduations in the gray scale from true black to white quite well. In this case, I have decided to add the 5th star to the review.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent monitor, but only one thing, July 27, 2012
Aesthetically, the monitor looks amazing, I love the touch buttons, the picture quality is very good, has perfect interaction with my macbook, is very thin, but the problem is about base it is very unstable, the monitor could fall down with any little hint. But it is definitely an excellent monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Worth EVERY penny!!, August 23, 2012
gleng (Houston, Texas) - See all my reviews
Okay, I read all the reviews on here before I bought this. The person who commented about the stand ??? I don't know what they are talking about, it's very sturdy. They must have not put the thing together correctly. You can also adjust the monitor up or down to your liking.

As far as the colors on this thing go, they are extremely rich and deep. I do a lot of gaming and Battlefield 3 on Ultra looks absolutely stunning. I am honestly trying to think of something bad that I can say about this monitor, but I seriously can't. It's very bright and rich and just AWESOME. I'd highly recommend. I hope this helps someone who was walking on the fence about the stand issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars Velcroed this great lightweight monitor to a music stand, September 12, 2012
This monitor is so light-weight that I used super-strength velcro to mount it to a music stand.
Able to use it next to both my and my wife's recliner chairs. Also expect to use it in front of our couch to watch videos. The VGA input provides high resolution 2nd display for my Dell laptop. The monitor plus music stand is very stable On-Stage SM7211 Professional Folding Orchestral Music Stand, Black, Was planning to trim away most of the music stand to reduce total weight, but decided to just cut a 2" x v4" hole in the stand to allow the VGA cable and power cord to pass thru the stand. While there were no instructions, it took less than 5 minutes to remove the stand which comes with the monitor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead/Stuck pixel warning, September 19, 2012
I bought this because it looked like a very nice monitor. It is, I love it, except I'm really picky about little things... Like one or two pixels not being right. First one I ordered had a nice green pixel on the left side of the screen (the packaging also looked like it had been opened before because the box was ripped). So I sent it back and asked for a replacement. This one had a blue pixel in the middle and not even a centimeter away, black pixel. If it was just the blue pixel, I may have let it slide because it doesn't stand out as much as the green.

At the time of this review, I'm still deciding if I'm going to try a different monitor completely because a dead pixel is suppose to be rare and I've had them both times.

EDIT:
So I decided to try a 3rd one because I really do love this monitor and I was very glad that I did!! I am absolutely loving this monitor now that I don't have any strange pixels! The packaging for this box was almost coming apart. Who knows what the box goes through to always be so beat up when I get it (considering its origin is in my state!) but the packaging around the screen is very good.

I highly recommend this monitor, but just keep a eye out for a dead pixel if that is something that would drive you crazy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, who needs an Apple Thunderbolt Display!?!, February 27, 2013
I am sold-out, kool-aid drinking Mac fan-boy. I own several Macs, have for over a decade, and spare no expense on the best equipment for my work. I have a 15" Retina MBP and decided to grab one of these monitors to leave at my co-working desk all the time. Didn't want to invest a grand in a Thunberbolt display that could get knocked over or "borrowed" by someone else there. Man was I impressed with this ViewSonic. The color is a little cold and it's pretty iffy to adjust it but overall, the resolution, quality, and ease of set up is top-notch. And at this price, a fifth of the Mac monitor, you can't go wrong. Very very pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Incredible monitor - wanted to give 4.5 stars, January 23, 2013
After a little research I ordered this monitor sight unseen. Needless to say the choice was perfect. The 24" screen is perfect for browsing, the 2ms response time (down to one using hdmi) keeps it perfect for gaming, and the vivid colors are perfect for a monitor that is in a bright office room. I would recommend this to anyone looking to purchase a new monitor.

But the one thing that makes it lose a half star is something you see in every review. The monitor stand is worthless, as it vibrates with every keystroke. Such a beautiful screen but the stand keeps it from perfection

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Monitor, Excellent Buying Experience, January 9, 2013
This is a great monitor for the money. I have had more expensive monitors that were not as good in terms of clarity and footprint. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for a primary or secondary monitor to their computer system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor., December 17, 2012
Incredible picture, great features.

2 HDMI inputs = Awesome

Sound output jack = Awesome

This monitor = Awesome

If you're trying to decide between all of the monitors in this class/price range, this is the one for you.

Ultra slim, and great looking as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, September 27, 2012
The quality and look of the monitor exceeded my expectations. I purchased it as a gift for my son and he just loves it. It was so impressive that another student asked his parents to purchase he same item. He received his a few days later!!!

ViewSonic VX2460H-LED 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor