4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but Prefer the 24"
I wanted to share my experience after having purchased both this monitor and the Viewsonic VG2436WM-LED 24" from Amazon. When I got the 24" it was love at first sight! So nice ; And maybe it's because that unit arrived first, but when I received this one I was not as impressed. Why? This 27" feels gangly and the image is not as "crisp".

Although only 3"...
Published on October 28, 2011 by Cameron Scholtz

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but viewing angle was disappointing
I had this monitor for about two weeks before returning it. I had absolutely no problems until I started playing Skyrim and the top corners of the screen were just too dark. The stand doesn't tilt to face down, which is where I sit relative to the monitor. This display seems to be optimal when your eyes are slightly above its center line.

I have since ordered...
Published on May 3, 2012 by Greg

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but Prefer the 24", October 28, 2011
This review is from: Viewsonic VG2732M-LED 27-Inch Ergonomic LED Backlit Monitor (Black) (Personal Computers)

Although only 3" larger, this monitor is a beast. It shakes and wobbles under it's own weight when making height or screen adjustments. The footprint is round compared to the more square-ish base of the 24", so no real difference there. On the other hand, this monitor is at least 50% thicker across the entire back, all the way to the edges. Conversely, the 24" is quite thin and only thickens in back where the stand attaches. Suffices to say the 27" looks imposing when sitting on my desktop.

The image quality of this monitor is nice. However, it's not as pleasant as the 24" -- in MY opinion. I cannot stress that enough. It's going to come down to personal preference and the way in which you use your monitor. If you're unsure of which size you need/want, then try to see them both in person. For me, the 24" has turned out to be more ergonomic. When using the 27" for desktop work...it's just too big, too close. The pixels are more "noticeable", for lack of a better word. However, if I back up in my chair and put on a movie, then the 27" is much more in its element.

And I've got to put this in a separate paragraph because I just find it so odd! The small power LED on the 27" is located underneath the bottom of the monitor. Did I mention the light is small? As you might have guessed, it's impossible to see the light unless I'm sitting at my desk...and sitting low! It's the strangest thing. I have no idea why Viewsonic did this. In essence, there is no power light...unless I bend down to see it...or work in a very dark room lol

Keep in mind the 24" and the 27" have the same screen resolution. In other words, they each have the same screen real estate. You cannot fit more onto the 27"; what's on that screen is just bigger. In my opinion the 24" is better built, sturdier, and has a more pleasing image for desktop use. The 27" might be a more fun option if used primarily at a distance for movies or gaming.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product in value and price, October 25, 2011
This monitor is a beast...in a good way. I replaced a Dell 24' Ultrasharp (which is one of the higher end Dell monitors) because of terrible vertical lines that appeared running through the screens. I wanted to make sure that I had built-in speakers as well as USB ports available on the monitor. After much research, it came down to the Viewsonic at around $400 or another Dell Ultrasharp at $900+. I opted for the Viewsonic because I was very disappointed in the Ultrasharp quality (even though I'm a long time Dell customer). This is the first Viewsonic product I've purchases and so far very pleased.
-Setup was simple, all cables are included, and plug and play worked without any issues. I had to manually reset display to 1920x1080 through control panel/display.
-Picture is beautiful: clean crisp, brilliant colors.
-Control buttons are a little annoying in the way they are positioned on the monitor, but just need a good light in front of you to see it. They are easy to use, although I would have liked the '1' button on the left instead of the right.
-2 usb ports are easy to access on the side of the monitor.
-The speaker isn't great, but that wasn't a big deal for me. However I would have preferred to have the speaker volume controls more accessible. I use my wireless keyboard to control my speaker volume, but if you didn't have it readily available to do so, to go to the control panel on the monitor would be a monumental pain.
-Easily adjusted to height as well as tilt.
-A main consideration for me was the eco-friendly product information on this monitor as well as its energy saving features.

Overall, I'm very happy and would recommend this product to others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but viewing angle was disappointing, May 3, 2012

I have since ordered the Dell U2412M. It's an IPS panel and has a more adjustable stand which should hopefully solve my issues.

Other than that:
- Easy to set up.
- Easy to calibrate once you get the rhythm of the buttons.
- Speakers were surprisingly good for built-ins, but I was disappointed that there was no "mute" button.
- Stand was pretty good, except for not tilting down. It's a lot more substantial than most LED tv/monitor stands these days.
- Power indicator light was very discreet, unlike my old ViewSonic which I had to put tape over. Blue LEDs are just plain evil.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - awesome features, huge screen & great picture, January 10, 2013
I choose this monitor (for use with my MacBook Pro - adapter cable not included) based on reviews & features. It makes working on my laptop much more enjoyable and manageable - especially when I need to use multiple applications at once, since now they all fit on the screen at once as opposed to toggling back and forth constantly.

I have it plugged into my PC as well and with the push of a button on the bezel, I can switch back & forth between computers. The extra USB ports are invaluable since my laptop only has 2.

As far as the picture, I'm no techy but it looks great to me. I do a little webdesign and watch TV shows and I have no complaints at all as far as the resolution & colors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor, a few quibbles, February 17, 2012
Overall, I like this monitor very much. The picture is crisp and sharp, and properly tuned the colors, white levels, and the rest are excellent. One feature I really like is the adjustable height.

What didn't I like? Well, the connector fittings are very tight and it took me a heck of a time to get a DVI cable inserted. I had to apply so much force I worried about bending pins or damaging the connector.

I also imagine some folks won't be happy with the absence of VESA-standard bracket holes in the back.

The other thing I don't like is endemic to just about all of the ViewSonic line: The adjustment controls and menus are ridiculously counter-intuitive and the bezel markings to indicate the functions are virtually impossible to see. I mean, I'm looking at the front of my monitor right now, in a well-lit home office and I cannot even see the little uncolored indentations that are supposed to tell me what buttons are which. Fortunately, after completing the adjustments, I don't need to remember anything other than that rightmost one -- which sticks out a little further than the other four -- is the power switch.

I have another issue which I don't know if it's my ATI video card (6870) or the cable, but if I use a DisplayPort connection, every now and then (especially when playing a computer game) the screen goes black for about 2 seconds and then comes back. No such issue with a DVI cable, so I switched back to using just that.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good. Glad I upgraded., June 24, 2013
I had twin ViewSonic 22" monitors that were upgraded to these 27" ViewSonics. I like the extra viewing space, the slightly larger text, and the higher resolution. A USB AB cable (not furnished) is required to activate the 4 USB ports on the monitor, but once installed there are 2 ports on the left side (easily accessed and very handy) and 2 on the back with the other connectors (which is puzzling since they can't be accessed without walking around to the back of the monitor). Images and text are sharp and clear, colors are good, and, contingent upon the video card, can be fine-tuned. Don't worry about using the speakers; they should have been left off. I'm using a DVI-D dual link cable on both monitors and my Win 7 x64 system automatically adjusted to the 1920 x 1080 resolution. I purchased these models because they can be adjusted up and down for best height and swiveled to allow someone else to view them. So far, no dead pixels, and the LED display should run cool and energy efficient.

4.0 out of 5 stars Edges glow from backlight. Limited vertical viewing angle., July 8, 2013
Steven J. Swanson (Murray, UT United States) - See all my reviews
Surprised how good this screen is for the price. If would be five stars if the edge glow wasn't so strong. When watching movies with the lights out the top and bottom edges of the screen glow from the backlight. If you mount the screen directly at eye level then you have to tilt it down a little bit. This is because it has a very limited vertical viewing angle and they assume you will use the included stand which would position the screen a below eye level. When the viewing angle isn't optimal then the brightness is reduced. I can't lay on the floor to watch a movie,because the top half of the screen is too dim even though I tilt the screen down as far as possible. As a computer screen with white or bright content it's fantastic. For watching movies or with black desktop themes in a dark room it's not so fantastic, but still good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Monitor, May 28, 2013
Our office uses about 40 of these monitors and they are great. Considering we run older Macs and are limited to one external monitor, these displays work great.

3.0 out of 5 stars 170 degree viewing angel?, October 25, 2012
Viewsonic is known for making superior monitors. However, they claimed this product had a 170º viewing angle. I guess you could claim it does. But as soon as you're looking at it from a different angle than straight on, certain parts of the monitor get brighter or darker depending if you went left, right, up or down. Very disappointing. Can't afford an apple monitor, but I can now see why the price point is where it is.

Beautiful monitor, but disappointing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but 24 is clearer, March 15, 2012
I agree with the previous review regarding the 24 inch model as being clearer. This model also supports 1920x1080 but due to stretching to fit the 27 in screen text is not as clear. In addition, while the stand is great, the display is a little washed out and the monitor does rock back and forth just a bit due to size. I would still recommend the purchase if you are okay with the above issues.

Rate and Discover Movies