4.0 out of 5 stars Had high hopes
Published on March 5, 2012 by jwolf

3.0 out of 5 stars Pin comes out too easily
I bought this alarm for my 8 year-old. We attached the keyring to a ring on the outside of her purse so she could reach it easily. But the first time she ran, the black part fell off the pin, causing a mad scramble for the ear-splitting alarm.

Published on July 24, 2012 by Dana

4.0 out of 5 stars Had high hopes, March 5, 2012
This review is from: Vigilant PPS22BL 130dB Panic Rape Emergency Personal Alarm Keychain + LED Light (Misc.)
I am moving to a different country for the next couple of years so I thought this would be perfect to have since one never knows what will happen. I decided to test it out and followed the only instruction it came with: to pull the tab. Despite following this one line, there was no result. So although I may of gotten a defective one, I would of also appreciated either better packaging or at least more information on how it works. Also, pulling the tab is confusing because then that it meant it could only be used once. I read the other reviews, which are positive, so I am perplexed as to how I could of used it more than once.

EDIT***

I have increased my rating due to the following reasons:

1. The president of Vigilant was kind enough to personally message me. I definitely appreciated it and I was able to learn how to use it accurately. I did not realize the mentioned pin was not the tab on the back but the key chain itself. It is cleverly hidden and after testing it, very easy to use in a flash.

2. He took what I said into consideration about including a little more information.

3. It is very loud!

Thank you for taking the time to actually read and respond. It reflects well on the company and sets a standard for others to follow. I do not regret purchasing this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anyone have a harassing phone caller?, July 3, 2012
This is very loud. I have a harassing phone caller who has called more than 15 times in this last month. I've asked nicely to stop calling me and yelled at him to stop calling me., Continued to call.

I pulled the lever out of the personal alarm and just let it blast into the phone. He has not called back.

5.0 out of 5 stars sufficient, October 9, 2011
Not a bad product. I prefer the jogger/student version by the same company. I do have this one on my key chain though for convenience. It's adequate that when I go to get my mail in the alley or if when I am walking down Main Street, someone I didn't like came at me too aggressively, it would stop them most likely. I mean if someone is really going to hurt you a personal alarm will not stop them but as far as personal alarms go, this one is perfectly sufficient to make an aggressive beggar/potential purse snatch pick another victim. Also it sounds crazy but if you have a personal alarm and pepper spray (legal in my state) on your key chain, they tend to pick someone else and they know what personal alarms look like. Frankly to me that it does look like a car alarm is not a plus. I would like it to be bright red and say PERSONAL ALARM. It does have my favorite feature which is the grenade pin activation so you can't accidentally set it off and you can't "forget" how too use it. The flash light is good enough to find a key hole. I don't know that's so bright that the light alone would scare off an attacker but you could shine it in their face and definitely be able to identify them which they don't like. The nice thing about personal alarms is there is nothing illegal about "misfiring" one like pepper spray or a stun gun. If someone scares you and you set it off, you have done nothing wrong in the eyes of the law. You have just made a scene. Nobody got hurt. I also like them because they cannot be used against you if you are too weak or scared to use the pepper spray or stun guns. Also, pepper spray pretty much requires getting within 5 feet of the person and absolutely no breeze. And stun guns require you to actually get within reach off the person. A personal alarm can be set off at any distance. I like them for women, teenagers and the handicapped. By teenagers, I mean those mature enough not to play with them. This is a decent brand. The company is good to deal with. I recommend them. Though as I said,I prefer the jogger one but I do carry this one and do not regret buying it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, January 10, 2012
My daughter was heading off on a college co-op to Ohio and I wanted her to have an additional personal protection device. She has pepper spray but, as a dad, I was still concerned. Bought this Vigilant Personal Alarm and wondered if it would really be loud. It is! It's a "grenade" style device whereby you pull the pin to activate it. The pin requires a fairly firm tug, which helps reduce the chance of accidentally triggering it. If you choose to test it indoors--which you probably will--be ready to plug the pin back in quickly because it is that loud. The idea is that once you've pulled it off your key chain, it will continue to sound and an attacker won't be able to turn it off. $15 and free shipping, you can't go wrong. It's about the size of car entry fob. Oh, and it has a built in LED light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Alarm/Very Bright Light, September 9, 2011
WOW is all I can say. This is the perfect alarm! I started cyling and felt I needed to get something to carry on my rides. I hook it on the front of my bike with my car keys and in case something happens, I can just pull it. I tried it out when it arrived and I made the mistake to activate it inside. I was literly stunned how loud it was. This alarm will certainly draw attention and that is exactly what I was looking for. I am also amazed how bright the light is. It definitley illuminates a wide area. Love it, love it, love it! I feel much safer knowing I have it with me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pin comes out too easily, July 24, 2012
Dana (Staunton, VA, United States) - See all my reviews

Lesson learned. We then attached the keyring on the *inside* of her purse. It didn't help. The next time she ran, the black part fell off the pin and it was much harder to find *inside* the purse. So for us, this wasn't the right product.

GOOD:
1. It's small
2. It's LOUD
3. It's incredibly easy to pull the pin. This would be a good thing if you were an adult in danger.

BAD:
1. It's incredibly easy to pull the pin. For a kid, this is definitely a bad thing. I think it would also be a bad thing if you (as an adult) wanted to attach this alarm to your keyring and carry it with you all the time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great alarms if you're out and about, July 22, 2014
My sister and I have rooms on opposite sides of the house, so I got two of these in case we needed to alert one another in a medical or other emergency. The alarms are quite loud, but unfortunately not loud quite enough to wake one another up if the bedroom door is closed. So even though they won't be adequate for the main reason I got them, they will still be handy to carry around to scare away purse snatchers or muggers or to alert one another or others when camping. I'm still happy I got them. They are very loud - unfortunately just not quite loud enough for my purposes. And read the instructions they email you, folks. The button you can push is for the light. The big round thing in the middle is the speaker. To activate, you yank out the ring like it was a hand grenade. To shut it up, you put the ring back. If you don't want to activate it accidentally, don't hang 40 pounds of keys from the ring. :) Oh - and pull the little plastic tab from the battery compartment or the device won't work!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vigilant PPS22L is a great gift for anyone for their safety!, January 11, 2012
This little keychain has a light, but most importantly a loud alarm! I walk my little dog late at night & due to an increase in crime. I feel this is a great little gadget for anyone that is shopping or for a college student. It has a light to see when unlocking your car. One jerk from this little thing would sure bring attention to get help or take your attacker off guard! If you have a wife, mom, daughter, granddaughter or anyone that you care about this is a great personal alarm!
This little gadget puts out a loud sound! The box it comes in doesn't look like much, but I couldn't care less about the box, the contents is very good quality! I am planning on purchasing more for friends & loved ones!

4.0 out of 5 stars My Pepper Spray's Partner in Crime, December 30, 2011
I have been looking for a key light for quite some time and I am glad that I bought this one. It looks pretty much like a car alarm. The button above the light is nonfunctional. I found the alarm to be pretty effective, it is pretty noticeable. It is very uncomfortable to be too close to it when it goes off which is probably a good thing. It accidentally went off in a crowd of my friends and many around in the auditorium heard it. The grenade style makes me feel more secure in that I think if I was panicking in a dangerous situation it would be easy to use. However, this calls for caution as to where I put my keys, how I pull them out, and who I leave around them. Be prepared for people to ask to pull it or pull it when you are not looking! You will have plenty of practice sticking the pin back in it from that alone, it is a little difficult if you do not have steady hands. The light is pretty bright but I gave it four stars because I wish it was brighter. I keep it with my pepper spray as an added protection and defense strategy. I like this product and will hopefully never have to use the alarm itself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alarm, December 20, 2011
Just got this because I was concerned about being approached by a close friend's stalker who doesn't like me. (Long story) I just wanted to make sure to get people's attention in case he caught me by surprise. I tested this and it is very loud, which I think is great. It's a little clunky feeling and is a little larger than a key-less car remote, but it works. The flashlight is useful too. I keep it on my car key chain and it has not accidentally gone off or anything, so I think it's great.

Vigilant PPS22BL 130dB Panic Rape Emergency Personal Alarm Keychain + LED Light