4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied
Published on July 1, 2012 by TK

3.0 out of 5 stars pouring problem
Makes a great cup of coffee. Pouring it is another story. But a very poor design flaw, should be a simple design fix?
Published on June 9, 2012 by david walnut creek, ca

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, July 1, 2012
This review is from: Viking 12-Cup Coffee Maker - Black
My wife brought this Viking coffee maker home one month ago after our previous coffee maker inexplicably stopped working. This one makes very good coffee, and seems to be of very good quality. It is a bit noisy while brewing, but it's not unpleasant and only lasts a few minutes. The coffee stays hot for a couple hours, which to me was expected (there is no heating element on the machine; heat is preserved by the insulated caraf). You have to pour very slowly; you unscrew the cover halfway to pour, and there is a very small opening. I guess you could unscrew the cover all the way off if you were in a hurry. There is a cloth/paper water filter element in the machine they recommend you replace every 3 months, and these are $5 each. I don't plan on replacing mine that often. Not being used to an insulated caraf I made coffee one time without making sure the caraf was empty of yesterday's coffee, resulting in an overflowed caraf and a big mess. But overall I like this coffee maker, seems like it will last a long time.

3.0 out of 5 stars pouring problem, June 9, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Viking Coffee, June 7, 2012
J. Koonce (Las Vegas, NV, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Viking 12-Cup Coffee Maker - Black
My wife uses this every day to make her coffee and loves it. I've noticed it's a bit noisy, but what the heck. The only reason I can't give it a 5 star rating is the coffee pot. It's cheap and thin skinned, so it doesn't keep the coffee warm for long. She kept her her insulated pot from her old Cuisinart coffee maker, which by the way lasted 14 years, to store the coffee in each day.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Coffee Maker, March 21, 2013
This review is from: Viking 12-Cup Coffee Maker - Black
We've had this coffee maker for about a month and overall we like it. It brews wonderful coffee, the coffee stays warm in the carafe for hours, and I really like the basket for brewing tea. The machine itself is HUGE, much larger than any coffee maker we've had before, and I'm glad we had the counter space for it. If you have limited or shallow counter space, you might not want this model. My only issue with this machine is the noise it makes while brewing and heating the water: it is loud and rumbles, and, scares the crap out of my older dog. It was so bad that for several weeks she refused to go in the kitchen, scared that the evil machine would get her, lol! I do think it's smart to have 2 carafes: 1 for coffee and 1 for tea.

1.0 out of 5 stars only lasted 1 year, February 21, 2014
This review is from: Viking 12-Cup Coffee Maker - Black
hard to pour without spillage. after owning it for a year, the water part stopped working and was unable to be fixed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Paying for the Viking lable and little else, July 16, 2013
D. Kuehn "Deanqn" (Ann Arbor, MI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Viking 12-Cup Coffee Maker - Black
I have been using this Viking coffee maker for between 2 and 3 years now and at it remains the most expensive coffee machine I have ever bought. I paid over $300 after all was said and done, and for the first few months I really did like it. I think the coffee it produces is good and it does keep the coffee hot for quite a while. In short the pro's others have given it are true and the cons about the small pouring spout and the like are true as well. But here is where I expand on the cons: the machine does not hold up to time very well at all. The metal carafe has begun to split at the seams, the handle of the carafe, which is plastic, is also cracking. The basket where you put the ground coffee comes apart into 2 pieces- or at least mine does- and the fitting between these pieces is getting pretty loose and when the coffee brews it is making a bit more of a mess than I think it should. At first the timer worked fine; for the past year or so every now and then it simply never begins the brew cycle even though everything is set accurately (not the AM vs PM mistake).

Bottom line is this- it is still working. I am drinking a cup as I write this. But I am looking at the Breville to replace it and am disappointed in it enough to write this after seeing it on Amazon. That in itself surprises me because I thought the unit had been discontinued altogether. I found this out when I tried looking for a replacement carafe. If you are willing to buy this then I would recommend maybe paying a little more for some of the other machines (or less for that matter). Viking may make a hell of a fridge for $8-10K but this is not that Viking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee, September 18, 2012
This review is from: Viking 12-Cup Coffee Maker - Black
This coffee maker is so easy to use and makes great coffee. We use a strong bitter brand of coffee grinds and used to have to put a little salt in to cut the bitterness. No longer needed. Coffee is brewed very quickly, tastes great, and stays hot for a long time. Another great feature is that the pot is easy to clean with a wide opening.

4.0 out of 5 stars Coffee Maker, June 12, 2014
This review is from: Viking 12-Cup Coffee Maker - Black
Works well but takes more time to load water and coffee. I understand that Viking has gone out of this business?

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't spend the money, May 20, 2014
This review is from: Viking 12-Cup Coffee Maker - Black
We bought this coffee maker and are so disappointed with the Viking product. It is loud. It drips coffee everywhere even in the correct pouring position. The thermal carafe does not keep the coffee warm for more than 2 hours. It is not over two years old and the programmable button is broken and we were told by Viking it can't be fixed as there is no replacement part. We even purchased the extended warranty and Viking's customer service was not easy or pleasant to deal with in getting some type of resolution. We always thought of Viking and quality. Not any longer.

1.0 out of 5 stars 15 months after purchase and this product quit working, April 30, 2014
BAM (Bethlehem, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Viking 12-Cup Coffee Maker - Black
I have no confidence in this Viking product. I was forewarned that Viking products had lost their stellar reputation but decided to put the warning aside and purchased this product for a price that was more than I had ever paid. I thought high quality was worth the high price . . . I was fooled. Don't buy this product!!!! So disappointed!!!

Viking 12-Cup Coffee Maker - Black