5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with bike

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best quality
Published 23 months ago by C. Ruvola

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with bike, January 11, 2012
This review is from: Vilano Aluminum Road Bike 21 Speed Shimano (Misc.)
I purchased this bike for a low cost test to see if I would like road biking. The over quality of the bike is quite good and has been , I feel, put together very well. I purchased the bike for under 300 so I can't really complain. I have so far ridden about 3-4 hundred miles on the bike right out of the box. Only thing I added were clipless pedals to fit my mtn shoes. I'll probably up grade down the road, but will keep this bike for my commuter. I read the Vilano site and some folks are actually using the bike for their first tri events and I think the bike would fit that very nicley. I put the bike together in about 1 hour. I have a background in bikes so it was not terribly difficult. I am very happy with the bike and would recomend the bike to anyone interested in a low cost above average quality road bike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vilano Road Bike, February 16, 2012
This review is from: Vilano Aluminum Road Bike 21 Speed Shimano (Misc.)
Just getting into road cycling and did not want to spend $1000. Had bike for two weeks and so far so good. Like the shimano shifters. Poor quality tires though. Had a bead blow out after 30 miles. But no big deal as the overall price is great. Came with a decent vader split seat. Overall more impressive than a GMC PRO Denali that we purchased for my wife at $100 more than the Vilano.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best quality, August 28, 2012
This review is from: Vilano Aluminum Road Bike 21 Speed Shimano (Misc.)
I have had this bike for about a month and a half. I do like the bike since it is my first road bike, although I did have to bring it in to the bike shop to have the front and rear wheel bearings replaced with only 120 miles of distance on the bike. The bearing which are standard to the wheels were not hardened steel and chipped with use. If the bearings are not replaced you could score the inner wheel and subsequenlty need to replace the entire wheel. The bike was also banged around in shipment and needed get a professional setup at a bike shop, which also corrected the bent front sprocket. My assumption is going to be that most bikes which are shipped will arrive in the same sort of manner.

I do like the bike and after a few visits to the bike shop am very happy with the ride. The bike is lightweight, and is a pretty good choice if you are starting out on a road bike. If you run into the same situation which I had stated above, you can look to spend about $100 in additional repairs and setup cost.

UPDATE 6/11/13 (in march I had the following items repaired)
In hindsight I would have been better off just spending $700 for a Trek bike from a local shop.
To date the following items were replaced:
Front Rim (due to a poor quality hub that will not accept hardened bearings).
Back Rim (same as noted above
Front sprockets (bent from shipping), crank
Bearing cartridge to replace the poor bearings in the crank.
Rear deralure (sp)
Read cartridge grear.
New chain (anti stretch) , the old chain was off the chain gauge.

Total cost was $350, add that to the cost of bike purchase and $100 above repair.
It's basically a brand new bike, so please take my advise and buy from a local bike shop.

I expected better quality for an item that I have owned for less than 1 year.

5.0 out of 5 stars great inexpensive bike, July 24, 2012
This review is from: Vilano Aluminum Road Bike 21 Speed Shimano (Misc.)
Short: It's light, enough, fast enough, and can take enough of a beating that you'll either be able to ride it for a year or two until it's really hurting, or you'll like it enough to invest in keeping it in good shape and it will last a long time.
Best bike per dollar I have seen. I can't imagine there's a cheaper bike that won't disappoint you quality wise. If money isn't a factor a more expensive bike would be lighter, faster, and probably tougher. You'll notice this one age, but it's great for starting out, commuting, or abusing.

Long: When i purchased this bike I got it in size small black for about $270. Considering that finding the same style bike just a few pounds lighter will jump you into at least $500 this is as light as my budget was going to allow.
The rear tire blew out a couple times until I replaced it with a more expensive Gator Skin, but that's to be expected in the glass riddled streets of nyc. The front tire is still hanging in there so the stock tires aren't total junk.

After a couple months the crank axle has gotten loose and started making some ugly noises and the front spokes are a bit out of whack, but after a trip to the shop it should be fine. The ride is fast enough that i think it's worth some money to repair instead or riding into the ground.
Again it was < $300 and i really beat on it so I'm not complaining.

This thing performs like an urban bike that should be at least $400 - $500, which is awesome. It's probably cheaper because over the months it's needed more maintenance than any of the antique 1980s/90s road bikes I used to ride in college, which is not so awesome, but I'm willing to deal with that since around here even an old road bike is often > $300 and a new one starts at $600

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
5.0 out of 5 stars Company stepped up big time, January 2, 2013
Ron Rathburn (Warren, RI United States) - See all my reviews
****Please read the entire text below...*******
Not a bad bike for the money but don't ever need replacement parts. Hit a pot hole and damaged the rear wheel. Contacted Vilano asking to buy replacements spokes or wheel. Received this:
Hello Ron,
Thank you for purchasing a Vilano bike, we truly appreciate it.
I've sent this to our bike tech team. They will be in contact shortly.
Best Regards,
Brian
Vilano Bikes

That was the last thing I heard from Vilano.

Ended up buying a close replacement wheel from a local bike shop. I won't be buying another ANYTHING made by Vilano.

==============================
After reading my comments above I was contacted by the vendor (RoadBikeOutlet.com) and offered a replacement wheel at no cost. I took them up on the very generous offer and today a box arrived with a complete set of two wheels/tires for my bike. After this experience I have to believe they are very interested in customer satisfaction. I would highly recommend RoadBikeOutlet.com for going above and beyond to make an unhappy customer into a very happy one.

Thank you very much.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jan 3, 2013 6:22:37 AM PST
Hello Ron,

I've escalated your issue to our warranty manager. We do have replacement parts for all of our bikes and would be happy to assist you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lot of Bike for the Price, February 5, 2013
K. Folta (Gainesville, FL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vilano Aluminum Road Bike 21 Speed Shimano (Misc.)
I know road bikes, been riding them for over 30 years. We are encouraging my 14 year old niece to start riding for fitness and fun. She's been lumbering up hills like a trooper on a 40 lb Wal-Mart junk mountain bike.

I thought the activity would appeal to her more if it was more enjoyable than work, so I set out to buy her a road bike. I checked the used market, but on 50 cm frames choices were thin. I contemplated several bicycles online and decided on the Vilano bicycle rated here.

Strengths.

I ordered on Sunday, it arrived Tuesday. I spent the last 30 minutes unpacking assembling and tuning. Packaging was great, everything in fine shape. I am overwhelmed at the amount of bike I got here for the dollar. The frame and wheels are quite good, brakes maybe better than pictured. The F and R derailleurs are acceptable. Shifters work well with precision. If she keeps the bike I imagine I'll upgrade. I also plan to change out the rather generic tires with a low-rolling resistance road tire-- it is all about heightening the experience. However, for the price it is more than expected.

The details are nice, such as concealed cables and decent handlebar tape. The seat is acceptable.

The weight is phenomenal for the price, probably around 21-23 lbs.

Weaknesses.

Someone that does not know bikes may have trouble assembling this without instructions. To the inexperienced tuning brakes and derailleurs will require a bicycle shop, as everything is set quite tight out of the box and needs to be loosened. To get the proper fit someone will need to know how to deal with spacers on the headstock.

The stem is super long for the frame size and I'll have to replace it. For a 50 cm frame it's a long reach.

***
Overall, those are minor complaints. I got a lot more bike than I could have bought used, it is shiny and new and hopefully will encourage her to take up riding for fitness and good times with her aunt and me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great First Cycling Bike, August 6, 2013
This is my first Cycling bike that I have purchased. I didn't want to get anything too expensive for my first bike to train with. The tires are not as bad as many people suggest. I'm not a bike expert but it took me about 30 minutes to put the bike together, and I took it into a local bike shop to be tuned up. First ride was great! And the next and the next! Shifting is absolutely close to flawless with this bike. So far I've ridden about 100+ miles on it and have had no issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bike., July 20, 2013
I have started biking again and was using a mountian bike at first. I did not have a ton of money to purchase a expencive road bike. So, this is the one I settled on after many weeks of research. I have put over 500 miles on this bike so far and have not had any problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bike for the money, July 3, 2013
My trepidation with buying a bike online is that I have to do a lot of work assembling it, and I don't get to try it out before purchasing.

The assembly was quite easy, everything was assembled for the most part. I just had to put he front wheel on, clamp on the handlebars, insert the seat into the post, and put the pedals on.

The bike is nice and light and came in great condition. The Shimano gear shifters are a little cheap and clunky. I also find that the front and rear derailleur need some adjustment, as the chain drags when in certain gear positions. I'm used to my Specialized that has the gear shifters in the brake where you can move it to either side.

This bike is a gift for my 14 year old son, and it will definitely be a step up from the Walmart bike he has been riding for a few years.

So it looks like I'm going to have to see if my neighbor can help me adjust the front and rear derailleurs. Either that or I take this to a bike shop and pay $75 to get the derailleurs and brakes adjusted. If you aren't good at doing that sort of thing yourself then consider that as part of your purchase decision and factor in the costs of an adjustment at your local bike shop.

Other than that I would say this is an excellent bike for the money, and should keep my son happy for several years until he gets too tall for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal!, January 17, 2012
Kevin Hunt (Pompano Beach, FL United States) - See all my reviews
What a great bike! The bike is very lightweight and solidly built. It comes disassembled but was very easy to put together. There are even instructions online if you run into a problem. This was a fantastic bargain and made a great Christmas present!

Vilano Aluminum Road Bike 21 Speed Shimano