5.0 out of 5 stars Fixie for cheap!
Customer Video Review     Length:: 3:21 Mins
Here is my amature opinion of this bike.... I think its worth the pennys if your into some tinkering.
Published on August 18, 2011 by Dannyboy

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Frame with some shotty parts attached.
I purchased this with the intent to build off the frame and for that purpose, the bike is awesome if youre looking for a cheap frame.
If you expect to ride this bike every day right out of the box after assembly you will be sadly disappointed.
Published 19 months ago by Shayne

5.0 out of 5 stars Fixie for cheap!, August 18, 2011
This review is from: Vilano Fixed Gear Bike Fixie Single Speed Road Bike (Misc.)
Length:: 3:21 Mins

4.0 out of 5 stars A good start, May 17, 2011
This is a great starter bike for those interested in trying a single speed or fixed gear bike (the flip-flop hub allows for both). Its chromoly frame is pretty well constructed with decent welds and is ideal considering its price. The headset, rims, and freewheel are also perfectly serviceable. The non-branded components are a bit of a mixed bag though. The pedals, saddle, handlebars and brakes feel cheap, and will probably all require an upgrade at some point over the life of the bike. Despite this, they are functional out of the box and will get you from point A to point B without failing and killing you.

The construction process is not difficult for those familiar with bikes, the only assembly needed is the attachment of the front wheel, handlebars, seat-post and saddle. The brakes which came with mine needed some additional tweaking and the chain and a few other moving components need to be oiled before use. If you are not comfortable doing all of this, it would be best to take it to a local bike shop and have them properly set up the bike for you.

While I have not switched it to fixed gear yet, its ride in single speed is quick and responsive. It has a pretty high gear ratio (16t-46t or 16t-48t I believe... I have not sat down and counted the front gear) which pushes you to maintain a decent pace. Depending on what shape you are in, the bike will give you a good workout. If you live somewhere with hills, prepare to form some legs of steel.

Overall, I doubt there are many single speed or fixed gear bikes as good as this one which can be shipped to your door for around 200 dollars tax included. Those who are looking for a good single speed starter bike should look no further. This will serve all your needs, and if any of the components bother you there will be money left over to replace them. If you are looking for a blank canvas to upgrade and change into something truly unique, this will also serve your needs. However, if you want a bike which is perfect out of the box or are in poor physical shape and are not planning on getting fitter, you should probably look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gateway to cycling, May 29, 2011
I've had this bike for about 2 weeks so far and I'm really enjoying it. The single speed aspects isn't as bad as I thought it would be except on extreme inclines. Once you get the bike you'll want to upgrade to some better components although everything on the bike is functional. A very practical and budget friendly solution to getting your feet a little wet in the sport cycling.

I ordered this bike through Amazon.com and it did arrive on time through UPS but the condition of the box it was shipped in was very very bad. I looked like it fell out of the truck and someone messily taped it back up with holes everywhere and all crumpled up. The UPS guy said I could file a claim but I looked inside and everyting was there and there was maybe 1 or 2 scratches on the bike so I didn't bother with the hassle.

Assembling the bike was pretty easy, used a Crescent wrench and a set of Alan keys and some need nose pliers to adjust the brakes ( that was probably the hardest part but still not too tough ). Just remember to tighten everything and adjust the seat and handlebars to you liking.

On the bike itself everything does work. I like the fact that the drop bars have an ergonomic bend at the drop to fit your grip. The seat also isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. I recently replaced it with a race style saddle that's not as cushy as the stock one but looks 10x better. After an hour of riding the difference between the two is negligible. The reflectors on the spokes are nice but the rear one broke off while I was loading it into a trunk of an SUV so I ended up removing the front one too. The pedals work but feel and look cheap, I ordered some replacements already. Oh, and the brakes are ok but I just didn't trust them to well riding down the hills of San Francisco so I replaced them with some Tektro R530 brakes and some cross levers mounted on a Bullhorn handlebar ( I'm probably going to put the drops back on though ). The paint job is nice but scratches really easily. For the price I won't complain but I've thrown some decals on the frame and it actually looks really decent. It comes with a flip flop hub where you can either go fixed gear or freewheel. I've left it on freewheel because honestly that's more my style of riding and you can't legally ride a bicycle that doesn't have brakes in SF. Also, for an amateur rider like me...Free wheel with brakes is alot more forgiving than fixed gear without.

If I didn't buy this bike, I would've bought the Mongoose Cachet and just removed all the stickers, or the Schwinn Courier and switched the brake levers ( and removed all the stickers lol ).

Overall it's a very good price for a Single Speed Road bike. I've removed 1 star for the quality of some components on the bicycle, but once you have the bike you'll know what works for you and have lots of fun experiencing the joy of cycling. I'm glad I made the purchase and this bike allows me to ride alongside other bikes 4 times as expensive with just as much fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!, October 30, 2011
So I've recently had this urge to get into road biking, and after months of no success finding decent and CHEAP bikes via CL and local bike shops, I took my search to Amazon. Hence I found this beauty.

I ordered the bike on a Sunday evening and to my surprise, got it Tuesday night- the fastest delivery I've ever experienced. It came in a big brown box like others have described, and the parts were all in perfect condition.

Assembly took me about 2 hours because I had no idea what I was doing (I've never dealt with bikes other than riding them prior to this) but it was SO much fun and it's a great feeling to put it together yourself. The tools I used were a set of Allen keys and a crescent wrench (or something that would have the same function). Attaching the front wheel, pedals, seat to seatpost, and handlebar were all pretty easy, but like other reviews have mentioned, the brakes were loose and need some tightening. The front brakes were very loose, while the back breaks just needed its brake pads to be adjusted. If you're not comfortable doing this, just take the bike to a local bike shop to get it done, or do what I did...GOOGLE it! The bike comes as a single speed and I'd rather keep it as this than converting it to fixed gear (which is a pretty cool feature might I say) because I prefer to coast. When assembling, make sure to look up videos on how to properly fit the bike to your comfort needs, i.e. how high the seat should be, how far back the seat should be, etc.

I took the bike out for its first ride and it felt great; I was going pretty fast too! I feel like I've made the right decision to buy this as my first road bike. Later on I'll get into upgrading the components and such but for now, for my commuter and leisure purposes, this bike the way it is will definitely suffice. :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Frame with some shotty parts attached., January 15, 2013
The shipping was very timely, but the package was in rough shape. there was literally parts protruding out of the box. I opened her up and the way it was packaged was poorly done, but the bike was safe none the less. I inspected and noticed a ding on the frame's top tube right out of the damn box! But you get what you pay for i suppose. It assembles easy enough assuming you have some basic bike knowledge, but will require a ton of tuning as far as the brakes go.
speaking of the brakes, i rode for about 20 minutes and returned home to adjust the brakes, during this process, my front brake caliper gained a little too much tention and snapped the spring thing that keeps the brake caliper at a precise spot. I could have been more cautious knowing that it was a cheap brake kit but this should not have happened either way. I encourage you to buy the bike but i dont encourage you to buy it if you are looking for a good ride right out of the box because you wont get anything close to that.
Overall:
Packaging 2 out of 5
reliability 2 out of 5
looks 4 out of 5
potential to be a sweet ride 5 out of 5

4.0 out of 5 stars Requires a few upgrades- but still love it!, June 24, 2013
I bought this bike as a cheap commuter for college. I read through many of the comments before purchasing the bike, many of which said that bike required a few upgrades or changes to ride smoothly; they were not wrong. However, as a broke college student that purchased the bike cheap for a reason- I only changed a few of the essential things I found needed which I will post below. However, the only thing that really needed changing, if anything, was the brakes. I think it's the brake levers and pads that just suck, but the ones that come with the bike barely do its job even after extensive adjusting. In addition, I think the rim of the wheel is another issue with the bike's brake system as it doesn't really give a lot of friction to the brake pads- but for a fairly flat campus- it will do for now.

Things I replaced:
- Bike pedals: REPLACE IMMEDIATELY. The original ones weren't made/installed correctly because it keeps skidding when riding, which is really dangerous. I got these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013G6PLS/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Strapless Pedal clips; unless you plan on going fixie which in that case I suggest you buy something from Purefix on Amazon as it comes with a voucher for free pedal straps or handlebar.
- Seatpost: I had an extra one sitting at home, but the one that came with the bike is just a pain in the ass to adjust the seat with. Works though.
- Seatpost clamp: the original one works fine, but I just got a different one for a change in color
- Seat: the original seat is sorta ugly not to mention really uncomfortable and so I got this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00858T9C4/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Bar Tape: the original tape isn't bad, but I changed it to a different color anyways
- Stem: I didn't like how high (angle) it was when it first came (looked really dorky) and so I flipped it for a more track like style.
- Stickers: for funzies.

Nice to invest in:
- I'm saving up for a Deep-V wheelset because they just look too sexy.
- Crankset: planning on replacing it after a year or 2, but the original works just fine
- Tires: the stock tires have been holding up for a few months now, but once they wear out I'm getting new ones

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bike!, June 19, 2013
Although it is a bit big for me, I would recommend it. Someone was asking to buy it off me before I even got to try it out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased, August 10, 2011
Upon buying it, I doubted it would be a very quality bike, seeing as to the price of it. But after putting a hundred hard miles on it already, I am quite pleased with how it has held up. I have had nothing break or malfunction. It is a lot of bike for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fixie for Commuting, August 20, 2011
When I moved to Chicago four years ago I had a nice road bike that I was paranoid about locking on the street, and ever since I had been on the lookout for a good bike that would be worth spending money on but not so nice that I would worry about locking it up while out and about.

In February I bought this bike and I love it. It is my baby.

But, as plenty of the other reviews here have said, you have to buy it knowing what you're getting into. I immediately replaced the seat, pedals, and front tire. I've added fenders and a headlight. I intended to eventually replace the handlebars, but in all honesty the more I ride it the more I like it the way it is right now. It's comfortable. It's responsive. It rides well. It is lighter than anything I've seen used (for less than $300) in the city. It brakes quickly. I feel safe and solid on it.

So if you're looking for a good reliable bike for commuting that is easy to maintain, this is that bike. If you're looking at at $300 or $400 bike I would strongly recommend considering spending $200 on this bike and $100 to $200 on accessories and components that fit your particular needs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bike for commutes, July 22, 2013
I've had this bike for a year now. I'm on my second one because my first one got stolen, but was more than willing to shell out for another one.

I biked to work in Brooklyn every day, and it never gave me problems. It also looks great and rides smooth. If you're just going 3 or 4 miles a day, it's a solid purchase - especially for the value. I get compliments all the time.

Vilano Fixed Gear Bike Fixie Single Speed Road Bike