4.0 out of 5 stars Great buy
Published on July 31, 2012 by Gordon Harris

3.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied with the bike, but....
I'm very satisfied with operation of this bike, but not with Vilano's customer service. More about that later. Let's talk about the good stuff first:

Published on July 16, 2012 by Stephen Sanislo Jr.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, July 31, 2012
I ordered three Vilano Performance Hybrid flat bar bikes for my bicycle touring company BikeNewEngland and received them quickly in good condition. This bike is similar in style to the Fuji Absolute and Jamis Coda, but about half the price. You will need some bike repair experience and tools to make a few relatively minor adjustments. You will have to slightly loosen the bearings in the headset, front wheel bearings and the pedals-- they were all torqued quite tight on all three bikes. The wheels are quite good and will need just some minor truing. The brake and derailleur cables and stops will also need minor normal adjustments. The deraileurs and shifters work well once properly adjusted. The frames and paint job are good, although there was a small chip in the paint on two forks. There is also only one set of holes for a bottle cage. Oddly, the only lettering is the word Vilano, without any model, size or other information. There are three sizes, 50 cm, 54 cm, and 58 cm, but you will find that they equate to medium large, large and extra large. The 50 cm will not fit a person shorter than 5'6". The 58 cm will easily fit a person over 6' tall. On our BikeNewEngland North Shore tours we visit the historic and natural areas on the North Shore of Massachusetts, riding 30-50 miles each day......

After spending a week touring on these bikes I return now to update my review. All components held up well, and the shifters and brakes worked flawlessly. I discovered that the rear wheel bearings on one bike were not tight enough, causing the wheel to wobble, but this was easy to correct. The wheels and spokes stayed true. The adjustable handlebar stems were easy to change to upright positions -- there is a set screw underneath in addition to the bolt going through the stem. The rubber grips on the handlebars are rather basic but there were no complaints from my guests. While we did not have any flats, I observed that the Kenda Kwest tires have a tread design that tends to grab and hold 1/8" pebbles, which could eventually cause a puncture. The Kwest has otherwise proven to be a good tire for my bikes.

If you are knowledgeable about bicycle assembly and can fine-tune the bikes, these are a great buy. If you are mechanically challenged, I suggest going to your local bicycle shop.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied with the bike, but...., July 16, 2012
Stephen Sanislo Jr. "Steve Two" (Philadelphia, PA United States) - See all my reviews

I use this bike as a road bike for daily exercise and as a touring bike for longer trips. I've logged over 250 miles on this bike during my first 2 weeks of ownership and except for a minor adjustment to the front brake and derailleur, this bike has operated flawlessly. The seat didn't agree with me, so I swapped it out with one from my old bike.

The quality of the components exceeded my expectations for a $300 bike. The 6061 alloy frame was well constructed and the bike included a number of name-brand components including Kenda tires. I was expecting to see a steel seat post, but to my surprise, it too was alloy.

I'm six feet tall and weigh about 185 and find the bike to be comfortable - even on a recent 65 mile trip. This bike performs well and feels much safer than my previous bike.

Assembly was quick and straightforward but I can't stress enough the importance of mechanical `know-how' when it comes to properly assembling any bike. An instruction book can't teach you how to not-strip a thread on the crank or tell you how tight to set a bolt. If you don't have that mechanical `know how', let someone else assemble the bike for you - it's way too easy to make a mistake that can cause major damage the bike, reduce its performance, or cause a safety issue.

Having said that, the factory assembled components required almost no adjustment. The wheels spun true, the brakes and derailleur worked properly.

Now for the `but ...'

I received the bike in its original sealed factory box which ws in pristine condition. I carefully removed the bike from the box. The major parts were tie-wrapped together and protected with sufficient amounts of cardboard and foam material. The frame and the fork were carefully wrapped in foam that was taped in place. Everything looked 'factory fresh'.

When I removed the foam wrapping from the fork, I immediately notices a series of long DEEP scratches that are clearly visible from a distance. Let me reiterate, the scratches were underneath the protective foam meaning that they occurred prior to being packed at the factory. The damage had to be intentionally concealed by someone at the factory!

OK, I know that this bike will see a few more scratches in the years to come, but given the fact that these large scratches originated at the factory, I felt that the manufacturer had a responsibility to do something. I exchanged a couple of emails with Vilano's customer service department explaining the situation. I wasn't expecting them to exchange the bike, but I did expect them to do something. However, unlike many other companies that take responsibility for their occasional human error, Vilano washed their hands of this problem and tried to shift the blame to the shipping company. I restated in a second email that this was a QC problem at the factory and that the shipper was not at fault. They told me there was nothing they could do and that I should take it up with Amazon or go buy a bottle of orange fingernail polish. I wouldn't even know where to go for orange fingernail polish!

Even though I like this bike and intend to keep it (scratches and all), I am dismayed by the response from Vilano's customer support department. If they can't address a small problem, how will they handle a big one? If you value good customer support, you may want to look elsewhere for your bike.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fair bike, June 14, 2011
This flat road bike is for the price, absolutely decent. The Steel Fork though could possibly bring you trouble, quality control is sub par on this one, nothing is aligned! Not until you place the Front Rim into it. By The Way, the front hub is absolute garbage (no sealed bearing, the ball bearings). But you know what? I am giving this product four star, because with little work, this one is a champ. The Front derailleur was hard to tweak.

Overall a good buy.

I replaced mine with bontrager rim, and saddle. If you are not scared of tweaking things a bit, this bike is a steal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast, smooth, looks great, and great quality!, December 28, 2013
This review is from: Vilano Performance 700C-21 Speed Shimano Hybrid Flat Bar Commuter Road Bike (Sports)
Let's get one thing straight first- I do not wear spandex! I just wanted a fast, cool looking bike to get around- And I got it! If you are a super duper serious cyclist looking to tour or win races or whatever, you shouldn’t be looking in this price range anyway.

I am 5’11”, 170lbs, 30” inseam, and I purchased the 54cm in grey. I use the Vilano in San Francisco to cruise around to restaurants, bars, parks, and other points of interest to take a break from the joy of driving and parking in the city. This bike handles the hills very well, it’s great for riding around town, fast enough to ride through traffic, and looks and rides like a high-quality bike!

This bike was very easy to put together and I had a knowledgeable, cyclist buddy of mine fine-tune it for me. I rode one of his bikes that cost over $700 and the Vilano performs the same, if not better! I have tried but, I can’t stand riding road bikes with curled handlebars and I am very satisfied with the way the Vilano’s handlebars are set up. They are super comfortable and the shifters look awesome and operate amazingly! They have a trigger shifter for the index finger and another for the thumb for quickly shifting up and down through the gears. Overall, it puts me in more of a relaxed riding position. The seat is surprisingly comfortable for a road bike too. The brakes worked very well, were completely silent, and were set up correctly in the factory. As for the weight, I think it’s around 22 lbs and can be lifted with one finger. The included metal pedals look great and have a nice bite that grips very well.

This is all I need in a road bike and I am very happy with it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Value, value, value, September 20, 2012
JEMc (California) - See all my reviews
Bought this bike for those (ever increasing) days I'm not into stretchy pants and clicky shoes. Bike rideable after simple assembly. Needed shift cable adjustment, wheel truing and rerouting of front brake cable (to provide adequate slack - match routing in photo) to "finish" the job. Expected to change seat and pedals going in. Seat ain't that bad; pedal lugs and sneaker treads don't mate up well. Not sure of fork composition, but it is magnetic. Plenty of clearance for bigger tires. Until packaging modified, scratch on outside of one fork leg likely. 54cm model was 27 1/4 pounds on digital bathroom scale. Don't understand Amazon's all over pricing on various sizes/colors; shop. Only rated it 4-stars to alert those that can not/should not be involved in do-it-yourself assembly/adjustments. Would buy again without hesitation.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Bike - One Minor Flaw, July 9, 2012
All posted reviews have common comment that front derailleur adjustment is difficult - yes it is! Needed three tries to find best high/low setting to minimize chain contact in various rear gear combos. I am a Mech E and decided to put my good eye and micrometer to use as some have suggested problem with derailleur...not so! The clear opening on this derailleur is ~15 mm -> compared that to my $1500 road bike with Shimano 105 and nearly same. Then I mic'd the crankset offset between the large and small chainrings....that is where we find the problem. On my roadbike the offset is ~16 mm, nearly same as the opening on the derailleur....but on the Vilano the offset is more like 20 mm! So, the chain moves farther between the small and large chaingrings than the derailleur can handle...I also noticed that the runout on the crankset is horrible, the chain deflects something like 3 mm during a full rotation. Bottom line, I will ask Vilano for a replacement or upgrade to a real Shimano MTB crankset of better quality. We are o.k. with Saddle and shift levers are fine. The 6061 frame is so sweet it makes the bike feel nearly like a roadbike under pedal. My roadbike just lost a shifter and that is a $300 part...think about it this whole bike was nearly that! Great value, just needs an upgraded crankset! (Will keep eye on ball bearings on front axle...if they fail, will u/g to sealed bearings).

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the same as official Vilano demo video and website. Vilano should update their website to show this downgrade, August 16, 2014
Beware! The components on this bike are almost identical to the vilano hybrid that is being sold for $90 less by the same seller. The only difference is the year, handle grip style and perhaps a lighter frame from what I can tell. The new model does not have an adjustable stem. (see the seller's pic) I complained and the seller sent me the upgraded shimano shifters that are shown on this bike at the vilano website. They also threw in a useless generic adjustable stem which was torqued too tight to adjust. The components of the bike are not the same as the Vilano video and website! I'm guessing Vilano is cutting costs by downgrading the new 2014 model. Website needs to be updated! Its probably not the sellers fault. But overall its still a solid bike for 300 bucks. It came with narrow (700cx28c I think) kenda tires that roll fast.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new bicycle for commuting, March 7, 2014
Sometimes it is difficult to train during the week so I took the decision to ride my Vilano Performance to work (26 miles roundtrip) With my new bike Vilano I can ride at a rapid average on the road as well as safe on the sidewalk. In the first 100 miles my new Vilano Hybrid has worked wonderfully, I recommend it 100%. For safety and speed I added some accessories to my bike as headlight and tail light, aero bar on the handlebars and cargo bag. (I bought all the accessories in Amazon.com as well)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal, November 4, 2013
I did lots of research before buying this bike and found it to be the best bang for the buck. Buying a bike online worried me but everything turned out good. The Vilano Bike was very well packaged and easy to put together. The brakes did need minor adjustments but I feel anyone could put this bike together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast road bike, August 4, 2011
BikeMechanic (Woodinville, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This is a great bike for the price. The frame by itself (6061 Double Butted Aluminum)would cost as much. It is great as is and I can build on it with better components if I choose. The wheels (700c Doubled Walled CNC Machined Sides) and tires (Kenda 700c x 25c) sold me as well, two other items that can be very expensive. They are not top of the line but fit my priorities for speed and durability. The brakes are very good (Promax side pull)once I adjusted them. The only drawback are the front derailer which is very difficult to adjust, the chain tends to drag on it when chain is high in front and low in back and vice versa no matter how much you adjust. Rear derailer is also fussy. I may replace these later.

Otherwise an excellent purchase.