5.0 out of 5 stars Well written on this subject
The author details very nicely the use of VI/VIM.
If your serous about using this editor the book is worth the price.
Published 21 months ago by dw

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost Non-Existent Index
Published on December 2, 2011 by K Day

2.0 out of 5 stars Almost Non-Existent Index, December 2, 2011
K Day (Fort Worth, TX) - See all my reviews
This review is from: vi and Vim Editors Pocket Reference: Support for every text editing task (Paperback)
I am quite familiar with vi and somewhat familiar with vim's extensions so I'm extremely frustrated by this book's lack of a functional Index. I specifically logged on to rag on the total lack of a useable Index only to find that the only other review at the time (by Purple Prussian) voices the exact same frustration. I won't say that there isn't some useful info in the book, but finding it is the problem. A reference has to be reference-able, and I find that, like this book, many of the O'Reilly Pocket References suffer from this problem having useful info that cannot be referenced. Get your act together O'Reilly editors and stop publishing pocket references without comprehensive indices.

1.0 out of 5 stars "Pocket Reference" is misnomer:, October 20, 2011
I think of a reference like I think of a dictionary: a place where I can go look things up quickly and directly. Even though this is a brief reference, it ought to have an Index that contains a least the most common terms, like "search", "scripts", or "operators". Yet it has none of these. The back cover even states "A full index". Sadly, it doesn't even come close. I'd like a "full index", but this isn't even a minimal index.

I'm not saying it doesn't have useful information - it appears that it might. But I'll need to read a bunch of it and get familiar with it to be able to use it as a reference. Quick and easy access is everything (e.g. Google and Amazon). This just doesn't measure up as a quick reference.

3.0 out of 5 stars a few suggestions for improvement, February 20, 2013
I understand this book is useful for experienced programmers trying to refresh their memories, but I would like to suggest a few things which could make this pocket reference more independent of its excellent companion "Learning the vi and Vim Editors", and therefore more helpful to newcomers:

- add, at the very beginning, a section on the :help command and some related searches, such as :h tutor, :h quickref, or :h vim-modes;

- add, whenever possible, a reference to a help file to each section;

- expand on the explanation of the different modes. For the life of me, I could not find a single reference on Vim's Visual mode! Do this and there would be no need for a longer index;

- add sections on the .vimrc file, the structure of the ~/.vim directory, and on installing plugins;

- expand the description of some sections to give a hint to beginners on what that is all about. For example: when I first read the section "Enhanced Tags and Tag Stacks", on page 23, I walked out with no idea of what a tag stack could mean in the context of Vim! This may sound silly, but a short definition at the beginning of each section may be useless to the experienced programmer, but it makes a difference for the beginner.

Even if all the suggestions above add another 80 pages to the next edition, the book would still be short - but it could then appeal to a larger audience.

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate, June 16, 2014
Pretty basic stuff. Nothing on spellcheck or encryption. Still pretty useful and I would recommend this to new vim users.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written on this subject, March 19, 2013
The author details very nicely the use of VI/VIM.
If your serous about using this editor the book is worth the price.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, October 4, 2014
Good book that is a basic run down of vim commands. Easy reference.

vi and Vim Editors Pocket Reference: Support for every text editing task
vi and Vim Editors Pocket Reference: Support for every text editing task by Arnold Robbins (Paperback - February 6, 2011)
$14.99 $11.32