Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Vindicated: Big Names, Big Liars, and the Battle to Save Baseball
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on March 31, 2008
I happened to be at Barnes and Noble the day it came out and I just finished reading it during a 5 and 1/2 hour train ride to Boston. As the first to review this, I will be careful to write a fair and honest review.
I read Juiced and eventually began to believe Canseco only recently. As the title and one chapter suggests he is vindicated and what he says is now taken very seriously.

Because of the Mitchell report and live congressional investigation with McNamee and Clemens, I think this book was rushed to press and it includes information from events that are only a few weeks old at the time of publication. It is not a long book but of course it is absorbing and hard to put down. Canseco starts out reviewing the events that took place around the time Juiced came out. The most interesting part of the book is what he says about Roger Clemens and Alex Rodiguez. Much of this came out in the media before the book hit the presses and will undoubtably make it another best seller

On Clemens and the Mitchell report Canseco thinks things are not as they appear. He feels that the Mitchell report although good for describing the severity of the problem and naming some names missed quite a bit and was biased in favor of the Red Sox. Also the story by McNamee that Clemens was at Canseco's party Jose asserts is false Interestingly he tells us in this book that he originally named Clemens in Juiced and in his 60 minutes interview but Clemens name was the only one removed from the book and cut from the interview. Canseco speculates about it.

Also Canseco had no direct proof with regard to Clemens and after meeting with Clemens and his attorney recently he actually was persuaded to sign a petition saying that he did not think Clemens took steroids. But at the time of the publication he actually is unsure what to believe.

Regarding Alex Rodriguez, Canseco talks about this near the end of the book. He had direct knowledge related to ARod's possible steriod use at the time of the publication of Juiced but he left ARod out because he felt that his strong distaste for the man would have led the readers and reviewers to disbelieve him because of this. In Vindicated Canseco talks about their personal connection and how ARod trained at Canseco's house, learned about steroids from Jose who also hooked him up with a trainer. Canseco says that ARod flirted with Canseco's wife when he visited and in Canseco's mind ARod wanted to have an affair with her.

This time he is better prepared for the critics. He is very prideful of his complete truthfulness in these books and with regard to every statement that could be challenged he took lie detector tests from two very reputable testers and passed with flying colors!

Canseco definitely is in it for the money whether he admits it or not and his speculation about Clemens and Rodriguez is in there to sell copies more than anything else. So take his waffling about Clemens and his accusations toward ARod with a grain of salt. I am sure that Rodriguez flirted with Canseco's wife and he may have even been looking for a sexual affair but that could be just part of Jose's wild imagination also. At least he admits when he is speculating and tells you when he has hard facts. ARod surely asked Canseco about steroids. He also must have been introduced to a supplier and he may have used steroids. But whether he went through with it and actually took the drugs is still speculation and Rodriguez has not failed a drug test yet.

As I revise this review in July 2010 information has come to light indicating that Clemens was heavily involved and lied to congress also ARod's confession and media manipulation further vindicates Canseco. I would not question Conseco's words again. I think he has been totally truthful.
33 comments|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2008
Jose Canseco has said himself that he wrote this book and Juiced to exact revenge against MLB for blackballing him. His reasoning was that because he was the guy to bring steroids into the game, players improved by leaps and bounds and that caused the salary structure to explode over the years. Is that true? I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was. In my OPINION, I think Jose is upset that his own body betrayed him...fell apart...and he was forced from the game. At one time, Jose was the talk of the town. HE was going to hit 62 home runs in a season. HE was going to hit 756 for his career. And now...with a career that included more trips on the DL than to the All Star game, and finishing with 462 home runs,he was removed from the Hall of Fame ballot after the 2007 voting and his career has been reduced to a footnote. He's watched from the sidelines as Mark McGwire & Sammy Sosa broke records and were cheered and it ate at him (something he alluded to in Juiced).So now he decided to do something about this. Again, my OPINION is that he felt "if I can't have the addoration of the fans anymore,neither can they"

I don't think he wrote this book as a cash grab. He made $50 million dollars in his career. I also don't think he wrote this to "save" the game. If Jose was able to play out his career as he wanted, was able to be elected to the Hall of Fame and was able to feel vindicated by his playing, he wouldn't have written these books.

But I will say this. Shortly after Juiced came out, his former teammate Dave Stewart had said "You can call Jose a lot of things...but you can never call him a liar" and I think he proved that. I also believe that a lot of what he wrote in this book will prove true in the long run.

But as far as his motives go...they're suspect at best. This book is for him and nobody else. Not MLB, not the players union or the players themselves. But for Jose Canseco and his bruised ego.
33 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2008
When I watch Jose Canseco give interviews, I don't like the guy. He strikes me as slimy and manipulative in almost all of his statements. But you know what? None of that matters. When "Juiced" came out, I heard and read everyone panning the guy (including myself) as someone who just wanted to make a buck. Slowly, he became the only one in the whole ordeal telling the truth. Palmeiro went from a strong a trustworthy guy to the biggest bold-faced liar in all of baseball. McGwire and Sosa went from lovable first-ballot Hall of Famers to jokes overnight. Canseco came out looking great, despite all of the doubt that first circled around him.
Therefore, when this new book came out, I wanted to read it right away. I still don't like the guy, but I don't doubt that every word in here is also true and will eventually be proven as such. I don't necessarily agree with his motives on some things, but his first-hand knowledge has been credible so far, and having transcripts of polygraph tests in there seal the deal for me.
I don't know how MLB will respond to the information in this book, but flat denials from accused players shouldn't be enough for the public anymore. Jose calls himself "The Godfather of Steroids" in the book, and like him or not, I agree with all of his assessments. The book is a good and fast read, and if you like the game of baseball at all, you'll get a lot out of it.
on March 16, 2015
If I didn't read his first book I'd have rated this higher. This book seems to be just recapping what was in the first book. Nothing really in it that I didn't already know or read over and over in the newspapers. Between the Mitchell Report and his first book, there was nothing in this book that I haven't already read. It was just a whole lot of Jose boasting that he wasn't lying. I for one always believed what he was saying about steroids, I didn't need the Mitchell Report or Jose's 2nd book to convince me. I do not believe Jose's motive for writing the book (that he wanted to help clean up the game he loved). Pleeease, Give Me A Break, I believe he wrote this book to get even with baseball for Blackballing him from the game. That's ok with me if that's why he wrote it, the bottom line is, I think everything he had to say about steroid use in the game was true. I do understand why people question the truth of what he says. In the book he said he signed a affidavit for Roger Clemons stating he did not see or think Roger used steroids, then in this book he says he absolutely thinks he was a user. He goes on to give a lame excuse as to why he signed the affidavit for Rodger, Once again "Pleeease, Gimmie a break" So the bottom line here is, if you read his first book "Juiced" and your familiar with the Congress hearings and the Mitchell report, you're not gonna get anything new out of this book. I do want to say in closing that I think everything that Jose says in this book (except the use of steroids in the game) is 50% to 75% bull.
on August 7, 2013
Jose Canseco's followup book to Juiced is basically a rehash of the original book with a couple of more players named to be PED users.
I'll save you the trouble of reading the book and name the players - Magglio Ordenez and Alex (A-Rod) Rodriguez.
Canseco, it seems, doesn't like A-rod because he hit on his wife and Ordenez because he didn't support him when his first book came out.
There's a lot of self-serving blather that leaves Canseco appearing like a narcissist.
On the other hand, you can't blame Canseco for rubbing it in. He was vilified and treated shamefully in the press when Juiced first hit the stands.
All-in-all, Juiced is the better book. If you've read it, there's really no need to read this.
on February 6, 2009
If you like Conseco's first book about "Roids" that was exciting and all about the inner circles of baseball, be ready that this is not more of the same. In "Vindicated", there is much more direct finger pointing and name calling than anything else. It is like the author is screaming for people to believe him. We do, Jose, you passed 2 polygraphs with absolutely "no chance of being disceptive." This book was written in a hurry, as there is no index, and the stories are not nearly as good as in his first. But the details are much better. There are several more memorial facts that one could find quite disturbing. The fact that HarperCollins(publisher of his first book) made Conseco remove the name of Roger Clemens from that text or they would refuse to print it, is quite curious. It appears that naming good ole Roger in any bad light, is not good for this world. And I like Roger Clemens!! I did enjoy those reenactments of Sosa suddenly forgetting English before Congress, and McGwire not wanting to mention the past, totally hiliarious. Jose also has issue with A-Rod and terms him "Stray Rod" for reasons you should read about. The photos of the players being buffed up, is not completely atune with the fact of steroid use, but later you learn they all, including Clemens, A-Rod, Sosa, and mosty all Yankees (except D. Jeter) do use them. For some odd reason, most Boston Red Sox players are not even mentioned?? Even the great holier than thou Andy Petitt seems to have been punched by the needle a few times. The biggest hypocrite of them all has to be the $18million -a- year commissioner Bud Selig and his court. While they pretend to dispise the use of Growth Hormone and steroids, they surely knew its presence was throughout all aspects of the game. Yet because these big home run hitters were exciting and brought in the fans, they willfully accepted gate money for the sport of it. Something like selling your soul. Selig is seemingly very good at the exploitation of sports' individuals while remaining totally innocent of any incriminating facts of his own. He is the commissioner and did not know this was going on... Please..he owns his own team.. You will not be able to put this down, because Conseco does not hold anything back, and is relentless to get you to understand how he was railroaded into making the title of enemy #1 on baseball's bad boy list. guyairey
on April 11, 2014
I've only read the first 4 chapters and it seems to pick up where Juiced left off; so I am excited to be reading this book.

Update 6/11/14
This book is very good and you get to learn a bit more about Jose Canseco. I am very glad I bought the book and recommended to any Canseco or baseball fan.
In 2005 Jose Canseco wrote "Juiced" in which he "outed" the baseball steroid scandal for what it was. Canseco was derided for doing a money-grabbing job, but a funny thing happened along the way: it opened the floodgates, including congressional hearings and a supposedly stricter baseball policy on steroids. Now comes the sequel, in which Canseco muses on what has happened since his first book came out.

in "Vindicated: Big Names, Big Liars, and the Battle to Save Baseball" (259 pages), Canseco goes on in his "hold no prisoner" way on what he feels is right and wrong with how the baseball steroid scandal has unfolded since his first book. Canseco looks back at the indignation of the baseball world when "Juiced" came out, only to be proved "right" of course. He has choice words for the likes of Rafael Palmero: "Palmeiro knew he was a steroids user, and he knew I knew. [...] Now here we were, only months after the hearings, and Rafi tests positive. Who's lying exactly?" On the Mitchell Report: "Senator Mitchell claimed he had personally all the players connected to the scandal. Maybe he called a lot of players, and maybe, for all I know, he called every single one of them. But he never called me."

On the "outing" of Magglio Ordenez and A-Rod, Canseco sounds pretty vindictive, but then again, he tells it how he sees it and it's difficult to argue with him. only time will tell if Canseco is right on these calls, but with his track record, I wouldn't bet against Canseco. Is Canseco self-serving in this book? of course he is. Is this another "money-grabbing" job? likely. But the facts have been with Canseco and this book doesn't diminish from that fact. (As a total aside, I read in today's newspaper that Canseco's house is being foreclosed on...)
on March 23, 2013
I am definitely not hesitant to give a book a bad review, however I am very reluctant to suggest someone should totally skip a book just because I disagreed with the author or found the material to be boring or irrelevant.

Having said that, you should skip Vindicated by Jose Canseco.

The overt Steroid Era of Major League Baseball is a very interesting subject. I was a young boy during this era and like most young boys my age baseball players were my heroes. So to look back on this era and see how much of the game was influenced by illegal steroids and other performance enhancing drugs is sort of like watching my entire childhood vanish.

I read Juiced by Canseco and I was pretty impressed. Though I think Canseco is rather egotistical and delusional. I did feel like he was being honest about the corrupt the world of professional baseball. After reading a few more exposés on steroids, I turned back to Canseco's newest book to hear his response.

What I got was rehash of old material: a summary of his first book, transcripts of his testimony before Congress, a copy of some speech he gave to some school in Florida, a play-by-play of a couple of voluntary lie detector tests, and excerpts of the Mitchell report. The only "new" material from the book consists of Canseco petting his ego and justifying why we left out damning material from his first book. Too many times he describes some conspiracy yet he states that he is not suggesting it.

I simply cannot recommend this book, unless you get it for free. There are only a dozen pages of new material and even those pages are just Canseco being ridiculous.
on May 31, 2013
And is this what we as spectators and paying customers come to expect from the Professional sports we love to watch and follow blindly even if our teams chances at the ship is slim to none in the middle of the season. Jose Canseco has opened the door to let everyone in on what he see's as something harming the sport in which he loved so much. And as former high school baseball, hockey, soccer, tennis, swimmer and martial artist. I see the amount of energy and effort and desire that goes into training and staying healthy for various sports. I love sports I have built my Library on sports Bios. " as well and Political Literature " I am not a raging jock. But don't let me tell you about how good of a read it is, buy it for yourself and check it out you won't be disappointed.