Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

on July 9, 2004
I've had this game for a few years now and totally enjoy playing it with my wife. When my relatives from abroad came to stay with us, they too fell in love with this game. I thought I'd buy them the 'jumbo' version of this game, but I wish I had bought the deluxe version instead. Here's why: There are 3 versions of this game (normal, deluxe and jumbo). They're all the same in terms of how the game is played. But the biggest difference is the size of the mat and how it's packed in the box. The size of the deluxe mat is quite ideal - maybe the jumbo size is nice for big groups. BUT, the deluxe is the ONLY version of this game where the mat can actually be ROLLED and packed into the box. For the other two versions, you have to FOLD the mat and put it in the box. And that makes a big difference since folding tends to crease the mat. My relatives (who are now abroad) tell me that they roll up their jumbo mat and store it outside the box - that's no good, but they still enjoy the game of course!
In terms of the game itself, it's quite simple. Just make one or two sequences (depending on the number of players) - corners are wild, two-eyed jacks are wild, one-eyed jacks can remove an opponent's coin. As for the number of players, any multiple of 2 or 3 can play the game - so you can have 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 9, 10 or 12 players.
To summarize, the game is lots of fun and quite relaxing in that you don't have to think too much. And if you are going to buy a version of this game, I highly recommend the deluxe version because you can roll the mat into the box - something you can't do with the other versions.
P.S. I just realized that there's also a kid's version of this game. We actually bought that as well to keep the little folks occupied while the adults played the adult version! The kid's version is nice (the mat is actually a board - so folding is not a problem there). But the number of squares is few and if you have more than 2 kids (or adults!) playing, you could easily get into a stalemate. Just thought I'd mention that since I was comparing different versions of this game.
66 comments| 442 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2002
Not only does the Standard version utilize a folding board, which will only withstand so many foldings and unfoldings,
it also shorts you on the number of chips you get and most important,(at last viewing) the chips don't have one side painted white. It is MOST important that one side be painted white so that you can spot(and know that you can't defensively remove) a completed sequence, when 5 in a row are turned over white side up.
Don't know about the Jumbo, but don't waste your money on the Standard. Get the DELUXE version, with it's easy to unroll and rollup mat. For as much as you'll be playing the game, it's well worth the few dollars add'l investment.
44 comments| 162 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 1999
Wow! What fun! Especially for my 9-year-old grandson when he beats the adults, which he manages to do with disturbing regularity. SEQUENCE is a game you can chat and chatter over, which I call a "sociable" game, yet there is enough of a challenge in working to create a sequence - or to block one - to require a modicum of concentration. The early editions have chips which are brushed on one side with white so that they can be turned over, once a sequence is achieved, to readily identify the row of five (and those five chips cannot be removed with a one-eyed jack, as can the others); however, I have seen subsequent sets without the white on the obverse side.I DO hope that Jax is not already considering this as an across-the-board cost-saver: It detracts from the game considerably. One more item: I know that the game comes with both a folding-board game field AND a roll-up game field.The latter, in my book, is far superior, as well as longer lasting.As a matter of fact, my ***** rating for durability applies specifically to the roll-up playing field. However,your catolog descriptions of the games makes no differentiation between the hard-board and the roll-up versions. I think that that IS important. (It also helps to justify the price difference to first-time buyers.)
All-in-all, SEQUENCE adds up to just enough strategy and suspense for lotsa laughs and a fun time!
11 comment| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2011
i have the original version and paid $13 for it. i decided to give a gift and got the 'deluxe' version on amazon for $26 - what a mistake!! what they call 'deluxe' is instead of a nice sturdy board, they provide a flimsy plastic place mat (which of course retians it bumps after rolling) and a light frosting on one side of the chips - give me a break! do yourself a favor and skip the deluxe - jax should really be ashamed of themselves, they are ripping people off and providing less value instead of more.
on March 11, 2002
This is a fabulous get together game. Great to play in groups but also just as fun to play with 2 people. I recommend the deluxe version because you get the rubber mat for the board. The regular version has a cardboard mat.
Hours of fun!
on November 16, 1999
I just played this game a month ago in Boston, and didn't want to stop. It challenges our observation skills, and helps us to view situations in more than one way. It is a wonderful game! Players were from ages 8-45 and we all had lots of fun and laughter! I am purchasing it myself to have in our home. We love a challenge of the mind!
on September 29, 2005
Our family really enjoys this game (deluxe edition sequence)! Kids as young as 7 or 8 can play, but adults find it challenging enough too. The game is a combination of luck and skill. It plays quickly (about 20 minutes or so). We usually play with two people, but have played with up to 4/5 people in teams. When playing with two people, you need to make two sequences, but with more people you only need to make one sequence (not two as previous reviewer stated).

We like this game so much, we bought it as gifts for family and friends!!
on December 8, 1999
I have had many many fun parties with this game. Kids, adults, everyone together - can't get better than this. Everyone I play this game with gets hooked and no one ever gets to go to bed during a tournament we play at home.
on August 20, 2006
Sequence is a game that I've been playing for over a decade, and am still loving it. A friend introduced it to my family during a vacation when I was a teen. The following Christmas, both my mom and I unknowingly happened to give it to each other as gifts. We love the gave so much we kept both of them. And I'm glad because I've been able to keep mine with me as I've moved around.

Now married, my wife has become hooked and we play all the time. We live in South America now and have introduced it to friends that we've made here. We literally get phone calls asking if we can come over and to bring Sequence with us. It's great because it's so fun, easy to learn,and there's no language barrier.

I have the standard edition, so I don't know too much about the Deluxe or Jumber editions. But through the years and as much as I've played, the folding board is still in great condition.

Also, I've read in other reviews that the chips in the deluxe version are painted white on the bottom to easily show where sequences have been made. You can do that if you want, but for me, part of the strategy is to NOT let your opponent(s) know that you've already made a sequence. If they don't see it, that makes it easier for you to get your second one. So I think the standard version is just fine the way it is.
on September 30, 1999
This is a great game that doesn't take too long to learn. It's similar to bingo only with cards and lots more stratery and not just a game of chance. Many combinations of people can play, 2,3,4,6 work best, we played with 9 once. The deluxe board is nicer than the card board folding model. Go for it and laugh and have fun!!!